Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Car makes a whine noise at idle

1. 01-01-2010 07:17 PM #1
      So my car whines at idle.. and while driving, but isn't really noticeable driving because of rpm/exhaust. I thought maybe the V belts, but these all look to be decent with no ware, I thought next low power steering fluid.. but it's not the case. Could my PS pump be going out since it's original? My car still turns and responds fine, what would be some signs of this? Anyone know what could be making this noise? I read somewhere a bearing could be going out in the alternator?

Vehicles
      B5 A4
      01-01-2010 07:25 PM #2
      Could be the t-belt.
      FS: Hinson racing clutch basket for 2003 kx250 will fit other stuff...pm if interested

Vehicles
      1 of everything and YES, none of them run :)
      01-01-2010 07:26 PM #3
      open the hood with the car running and manually rev it up from inside the engine bay and listen to where the noise comes from.

Vehicles
      B5 A4
      01-01-2010 07:29 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by MetalMessiah666 »
      open the hood with the car running and manually rev it up from inside the engine bay and listen to where the noise comes from.

does that actualy work?

FS: Hinson racing clutch basket for 2003 kx250 will fit other stuff...pm if interested

5. 01-01-2010 07:32 PM #5
      I did that already and it sounded like it was coming from the belt area.. but the alternator and PS are right there too.. like I said I examined the belts and they're not loose or in bad condition.. I'd have a hard time believing it was them.

as for the timing belt, I thought this couldn't whine because of the grooves in it? I thought only flat belts could make the whining noise?

Modified by LyTeGuaRd at 4:35 PM 1-1-2010

Vehicles
      01-01-2010 07:35 PM #6
      have someone turn the steering wheel full turns from left to right. If it whines during that, then you know its your ps. Are the belts tight?
      If you can't figure it out, perhaps take a vid and post it up.

7. 01-01-2010 07:37 PM #7
      if it's my PS pump, what's the worst that could happen if left alone? eventually just go out? would the symptoms be eventual hardened of steering? Cause if it's the pump I'm not in a huge hurry to change it, although the sound is really annoying.

Vehicles
      92 GLI 16V, 08 .:R32, 04 GTI
      01-01-2010 08:28 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by LyTeGuaRd »
      if it's my PS pump, what's the worst that could happen if left alone? eventually just go out? would the symptoms be eventual hardened of steering? Cause if it's the pump I'm not in a huge hurry to change it, although the sound is really annoying.

check your fluid level in the p/s resi, if your pump goes out while driving it will seize up and make your life hell. if it is your p/s pump thats wining and the fluid level is ok, pull off the belt that runs to it and look into getting a new pump.

9. 01-01-2010 09:28 PM #9
      Yeah it's definitely the ps pump. I cranked my wheel all the way either direction and when it was all the way the rpm's kicked down.. man.. that's gonna set me back about $130 .. would it be easiest when I replace that to go ahead and do the timing belt too? cause that belt isn't that expensive. when I do the belt should I get the kit which comes with tensioners too?

Vehicles
      01-01-2010 09:30 PM #10
      so the ps pump whined like a donkey getting slaughtered when you turned the wheel?
      It's pretty easy to switch out the ps pump. And yes get a new tensioner when you do the timing belt. You will need the tensioner tool unless you get crafty with a fork and make your own.

11. 01-01-2010 09:37 PM #11
      lol it didn't whine that bad.. it stayed the same consistency as when the wheel is straight at idle, just the rpms dropped about 500 so it's probably not really bad, but needs to be replaced. Do you know if an auto parts store like auto zone would rent that tool out? not too fond about buying one for $50 to use all of once.

Vehicles
      01-01-2010 09:38 PM #12
      I used a fork when I changed one on a 8v. Just bend the 2 inner prongs of the fork and you will see how it is used. Or you could get crafty with a pair of circlip pliers.

Check this for info.
      http://www.autotech.com/instructions/i109109.pdf

Modified by MetalMessiah666 at 9:41 PM 1-1-2010

Vehicles
      02 Jetta TDI
      01-01-2010 10:03 PM #13
      Uh, I'm pretty sure that a car with power steering always lowers idle when the wheel is cranked to the extremes. My other vehicle does it too, along with all the mk2's I've ever had. The whining noise could be bearings, not? This is why I stick with manual rack's.

Vehicles
      01-01-2010 10:09 PM #14
      yeah, I'm thinking it's not the ps pump either. It would whine horribly when the car is running and even worse when you turn the wheels.
      Manual rack is the way to go.
      Alt bearing or the belts slipping.