Thread: TDi remote car starter?

Vehicles
      92 Corrado VR6 - 09 TDi JSW
      01-02-2010 12:01 AM #1
      any one have any input

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-02-2010 01:57 AM #2
      It's the same as a gas engine except you configure the remote starter for diesel and it waits to start after turning the ignition on to warm the glow plugs.
      I put the Viper 5901 on my car and the install was super easy. Whatever you do I recommend getting one of the new generation remote starts that has a CANBUS interface so that the install is a breeze. It's like 9 wires as opposed to the old ones that were like 40 wires. Compustar has CANBUS integration now too but I don't have any experience with the new ones.
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Vehicles
      01-02-2010 12:58 PM #3
      I work at a high end mobile electronics shop in the Boston area and I am familiar with the CAN interfaces. I have done a lot of starters in Euro cars auto and manual. I have not done a TDi yet and I have some people interested in adding the New Viper smart start that works with the Iphone.
      I have been checking the web for info on warming up a diesel from a cold start and I am not sure what is fact. I know that when it is cold out if I start my car and let it idle for 10 min. it reaches running temps much faster than if I start and just drive. I am also aware that it takes longer to blow hot air in the car compared to my VR6.
      Is it harmful to the engine to let it idle?
      Thank you for the input

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      01-02-2010 03:42 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by jds92slc »
      any one have any input

Yes, I have a few words of advice.

Starting a TDI remotely does nothing.
      You cannot warmup a TDI Diesel while idling in your Driveway.
      You can waste some fuel though...

The only way to warm up a VW TDI is to drive it.

Rain Closing Windows, goF raeR, Aspherical Mirrors, Remote Windows, Amber Club

Vehicles
      '06 Jetta TDI
      01-02-2010 05:08 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by Tim Birney »

You cannot warmup a TDI Diesel while idling in your Driveway.

But by starting it, you could get cabin heat from the electric heater, if you left the heater control switches in the hot and high fan positions when you shut it off. But...
      ...that means the fan will be on when the ignition is switched on for the glow plugs to cycle, which is a sizeable power drain on the battery after a deep cold soak.
      Would a car starter be wired into CAN such that only the glow plugs could get juice, then the starter and subsequently the heater element/fan after the car is started?

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-02-2010 07:12 PM #6
      Geez you guys aren't used to living in cold climates are you?

You simply don't own a diesel car without some form of a block heater in Alaska. For TDI they use the Frostheater. Yes your car will be completely warmed up in minutes with one installed. I put one on my GTI and it works great.

http://www.frostheater.com/

Quote, originally posted by Frostheater »
      Advantages:

• Engine will start like it's the middle of Summer!

• Instant Heat to the interior!

• Defrost ice and frost off the windows sooner for safer vision

• Less wear and tear on the engine and starting components

• Increased Starter life

• Increased Glow Plug life

• Increased Battery life

• Reduced warm up idle time

• Reduced emissions and tailpipe smoke at start up

• Works great with your Bio Diesel or Waste Vegetable Oil Conversion!

• Easy to install - 1 to 2 hours on average

• Custom fit for Golfs, Jettas, Beetles, and Passats with the TDI engine

• Compact, about the size of two 12oz soft drink cans

• Factory appearance when installed

• Name brand ZeroStartTM heater and GatesTM hoses

• Custom Hoses for exact fit (Both upper & lower are specific to your year and model TDI)

• Rub Protection on the hoses for longevity specific to your year and model TDI

• Custom Stainless Steel Laser-Cut Bracket specific to your year and model TDI (on most kits)

• Thermostatically controlled prevents over-heating

• Kit comes fully-assembled, ready to install

Click Here to Order

FrostHeater Details:

* Volkswagen TDI Diesel Engine Coolant Heater Kit is custom fit for Golfs, Jettas, Beetles, and Passats with the TDI engine. The 1000 WATT tank heater circulates coolant throughout the engine for QUICKER STARTS AND INSTANT HEAT! (TDI owners know how long it takes to get heat!)

* Benefits include: reducing wear on the glow plugs, starter and battery. Oil pan heaters only heat the oil, and could be a fire hazard. Without any accessible freezeplugs on the engine, a freezeplug heater is not an option either.

* Numerous VW dealers buy our FrostHeater™ in quantity and install them in brand new TDIs!

* The kit is compact in size, comes pre-assembled with all necessary parts, hoses, and mounting bracket, to install the heater in an afternoon. Just add your own coolant and time.

* These are brand new heaters engineered to fit exclusively the 1996 to 2009 TDI engines. The heater will not fit older diesels. The heater is about the size of two 12oz soda pop cans, and fits nicely under the hood.

* The kit fits like a glove, and has good clearance around the heater even when installing the unit. It will have a factory appearance when installed. I have had people say it looks factory when looking at mine.

* I developed this kit because I was tired of cold mornings with no heat up to 10 miles, and unable to locate someone producing a heater that actually fits and works. Our kit ensures correct installation and operation. Tank heaters need to be properly located and installed or they will not work.

* Engineered with the following kept in mind:

• It must appear factory, like it was designed to be there with clearance around the unit

• It must maintain factory bend radius requirements for coolant hoses

• It must have a low or no impact on the cooling system

• It must be mounted in such a way to minimize engine vibration

• It must consist of top-quality components for at least a 100,000 mile or more service life

• It must not have a check-valve so no engine damage occurs

* The heater is a ZeroStartTM Brand heater with GatesTM Brand hoses developed exclusively for the kit. All the brackets and hoses come pre-installed on the heater so it bolts right in and works. This is a No-hassle drop-in kit using simple hand tools.

* Included in the kit is detailed step-by-step instruction booklet with color photos to ensure a trouble-free installation with NO guesswork, fabrication, or backyard engineering required.

"It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Vehicles
      2007 Fahrenheit GLI 92 or 1200
      01-03-2010 07:18 AM #7
      well.. What is really nice.. Is if you install a DEI or Viper piece you can setup vacation mode and the car will start every three hours... .. Tha way if you know its going to be really cold out.. you are all set...And yeah they are not hard to do... We have a shop here in NY and do all VW cars..

Tiguan, Jetta, TDI, GTI.. GLI>>> whatever... they are all pretty easy.

just please whatever you do.... put a decent unit in...

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-03-2010 08:29 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by edward40handz »
      and the car will start every three hours... ..

That would suck if you left it in gear on accident and every three hours your neighbors laughed as your car crashed into a wall and then stalled.
      People would pay to see that lol

Vehicles
      01-03-2010 08:36 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by GodSquadMandrake »

That would suck if you left it in gear on accident and every three hours your neighbors laughed as your car crashed into a wall and then stalled.
      People would pay to see that lol

never a thought for me.. I never install them in Manual cars... NEVER... no matter what.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-03-2010 09:03 AM #10

never a thought for me.. I never install them in Manual cars... NEVER... no matter what.

I never buy automatics, ever, no matter what, even if I was married to some actress she'd have to learn to drive a manual.

We have a problem here...

Hire a butler to start the car AND drive the wife around?

Vehicles
      01-03-2010 09:22 AM #11

I never buy automatics, ever, no matter what, even if I was married to some actress she'd have to learn to drive a manual.

no automatics here.. ... but also no remote start.. unless its me .. in the damn cold.. doing it myself.

Vehicles
      01-03-2010 01:15 PM #12
      A manual car can be done safely with the proper system. DEI or Compustar are quality units with a proper take-over mode. Yes you can always install something and bypass safety systems but then you are taking risks...
      My MAIN QUESTION is what are the issues with a TDi engine idling? Again if I start my 09 TDi and let it run for 10 min before I drive It reaches full running temp much faster than if I just start and go.
      Thank you for all the input.

Vehicles
      08 VW Rabbit
      01-03-2010 02:11 PM #13
      Would you install
      a frostheater in a
      2.5?

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-03-2010 07:10 PM #14
      I dunno man I've never messed with the 2.5. I would try if I had one...

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      01-04-2010 06:46 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by CADtech »

But by starting it, you could get cabin heat from the electric heater, if you left the heater control switches in the hot and high fan positions when you shut it off. But...
      ...that means the fan will be on when the ignition is switched on for the glow plugs to cycle, which is a sizeable power drain on the battery after a deep cold soak.
      Would a car starter be wired into CAN such that only the glow plugs could get juice, then the starter and subsequently the heater element/fan after the car is started?

... once again, the "instant" heat from the Electrical Heater is not all that good, and will warm your interior by about 5 degrees for every 2 (two) miles driven...

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-04-2010 10:28 PM #16
      A better option for an electric heater is an electronic car spacer heater that Canadian tire sells. It's 120vac so you have to run the cord through the firewall but it goes in the backseat and turns on with a timer or something so it warms up your car with power from your house not your car.

17. 01-04-2010 10:39 PM #17
      On a TDI, if you are going to plug something into 110 volts, it makes a WHOLE lot more sense to install the Frostheater coolant heater that someone else has already mentioned.

An interior space heater only heats the interior of the car. The coolant heater heats the engine's cooling system. Yes, the car's interior will still be cold, but the heater will start working the moment the engine starts ... and starting a diesel engine that is already warmed up is a *whole* lot easier than starting a stone cold one. The interior heater might have the interior warmer the moment you enter the car, but having the cooling system warmed up will have you warmer a couple of minutes down the road.

A remote engine starter doesn't make much sense in this application.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-05-2010 05:46 AM #18
      ^
      True.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI 5sp
      01-05-2010 09:21 AM #19
      ^
      ^
      Double true

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan SE, 08 Silverado, 99 A4 1.8TQM
      01-05-2010 03:25 PM #20
      I got some more true to add to the true. I installed a 1000 watt heater on to my old TDI and it worked awesome. If you keep the defroster "on" when you shut the car off, coolant will circulate through the heater core with the frost heater, warming the interior. It'll also keep your windshield defrosted, even though the fan isn't running. Also when I started my car, it was already at 180*. the glow plugs don't even light. -This was in Minot, ND where it actually gets pretty nasty cold at times.

Modified by ryan mills at 8:26 PM 1-5-2010

21. 01-05-2010 05:20 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by jds92slc »
      Again if I start my 09 TDi and let it run for 10 min before I drive It reaches full running temp much faster than if I just start and go.

Sure you get heat faster, if you don't count the 10 minutes that it idled.

Letting a cold diesel motor idle to warm up is not only futile, its VERY bad for it. Since a diesel relies on compression, not a spark, for combustion it can't burn the fuel completely when cold. This incomplete combustion leads to carbon build up on the valves and in the oil. Over time the problem will get worse as the valves won't seal properly and the carbon in the oil will lead to worn out rings. Now you'll have a true oil burner on your hands. Use a coolant or even block heater, but do not under any circumstances use a remote starter on a diesel unless you want to shorten its life.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      01-05-2010 08:59 PM #22
      Geez you guys aren't used to living in cold climates are you?

You simply don't own a diesel car without some form of a block heater in Alaska. For TDI they use the Frostheater. Yes your car will be completely warmed up in minutes with one installed. I put one on my GTI and it works great.

http://www.frostheater.com/

The Premise of the Coolant Heaters is that they be mounted mid-line on the Engine Block (as viewed from the front of the car, head on if you will).
      Current MKV mounting is well below from the centerline, and EXTREMELY non-functional.

Been there, MKIV, done that Successfully, and Been There, MKV, EXTREMELY Sucksas!

Vehicles
      01-05-2010 10:36 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by bcze1 »

Sure you get heat faster, if you don't count the 10 minutes that it idled.

Letting a cold diesel motor idle to warm up is not only futile, its VERY bad for it. Since a diesel relies on compression, not a spark, for combustion it can't burn the fuel completely when cold. This incomplete combustion leads to carbon build up on the valves and in the oil. Over time the problem will get worse as the valves won't seal properly and the carbon in the oil will lead to worn out rings. Now you'll have a true oil burner on your hands. Use a coolant or even block heater, but do not under any circumstances use a remote starter on a diesel unless you want to shorten its life.

This is the type of INFO I am interested in. I have heard mixed info on diesels and this is my first. I Know the benefits of a remote starer on a gas engine in the winter months. I also know that my TDi takes a bit to warm up the cold weather . I am NOT looking to reduce the life of my new car.
      Thank you for the input.

01-06-2010 12:05 AM #24
      everyone is right as far as making sure you get the right interfaces. i installed a remote start in my car which is also a manual. the canbus interfaces are amazing! what went from a million wires to only a few. i am mecp certified and all i can say is make sure you take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-12-2010 09:48 PM #25

The Premise of the Coolant Heaters is that they be mounted mid-line on the Engine Block (as viewed from the front of the car, head on if you will).
      Current MKV mounting is well below from the centerline, and EXTREMELY non-functional.

Been there, MKIV, done that Successfully, and Been There, MKV, EXTREMELY Sucksas!

Yep huge pita but totally worth it once you get it to work. When you come out and turn the key on and the water gauge jumps to 190 when it's -20 out it's bliss.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      01-14-2010 08:43 PM #26

Yep huge pita but totally worth it once you get it to work. When you come out and turn the key on and the water gauge jumps to 190 when it's -20 out it's bliss.

Not quite.
      With this unit mounted well below the centerline, the car starts up at 190, and drops to ZERO (0F) in about one minute.

This is after a Timer Start of three hours.
      I removed mine and threw it in the dumpster.

... although, the MKIV unit was fantastic. Always 190 after one or two hours.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-15-2010 03:39 AM #27

Not quite.
      With this unit mounted well below the centerline, the car starts up at 190, and drops to ZERO (0F) in about one minute.

This is after a Timer Start of three hours.
      I removed mine and threw it in the dumpster.

... although, the MKIV unit was fantastic. Always 190 after one or two hours.

Not mine. It stays at 190 or if it is below it heats up very quickly when you start it. It's difficult to get to work like that because the MKV cooling system is very strange and the coolant actually flows backwards. Normally the coolant goes out through the bottom by the water pump and into the radiator through the bottom then out the top of the radiator into the head. Well it's the total opposite on the MKV. So you have to tap into the oil cooler's coolant feed line. Cut it in half and hook the halves up to the tank heater. This will circulate coolant from the upper radiator hose section directly into the block. It ends up just going in a circle through the heater core and the block. If you hook it up any other way you just heat the upper radiator hose (where the CTS is) and that never gets into the heater core or block. Then when you turn on the car and circulate the coolant a little bit the needle will drop to zero.

Like I said huge PITA but with a 1500w block heater it puts some major heat into the engine. A normal 4 cylinder block heater is 400w, 1500w is for something like a semi truck.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      01-16-2010 05:12 PM #28
      I read all of the Instructions. The Heater was connected per those intructions, and it is mounted as far below the Centerline of the Engine as you can get it... unless you mail it to Toledo.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-17-2010 04:41 AM #29
      The instructions are generic, they don't have a specific install for the TSI/FSI.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      01-17-2010 06:19 PM #30
      The instructions are generic, they don't have a specific install for the TSI/FSI.

Talking about the Specific TDI Instructions...

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-19-2010 08:57 AM #31
      Yeah the Frostheater is specific to TDi but you can use the Temro heater on anything.

Vehicles
      01-29-2010 08:01 AM #32
      did one of these yesterday... 09 TDI.. had the bad boy done in 2.5 hours..

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      01-29-2010 11:48 AM #33
      did one of these yesterday... 09 TDI.. had the bad boy done in 2.5 hours..

Frostheater or remote start?
      The remote start is so cake on the MKV. Everything is already done for you.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      01-30-2010 04:28 PM #34

Frostheater or remote start?
      The remote start is so cake on the MKV. Everything is already done for you.

TDI, remote start is useless.
      FrostHeater, poorly designed for the MKV setup.

Get it?

Vehicles
      06 jetta TDI
      02-01-2010 03:55 AM #35

You cannot warm up a TDI Diesel while idling in your Driveway.

I agree that you can not get a TDI up to normal operating temp just sitting idling.

However, It will come up to operating temp. much faster, driving down the road after idling for about 10 minutes, then it will just cold starting and going. Also the seat warmer gets a good chance to start warming up.

I do not live in a real cold area, but it gets down into the mid to lower 20s now and then where I am, and I have tested this many times at these temps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast