Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 188 of 243 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238 ... LastLast
    Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 6067

Thread: 2010 MKVI JSW Jetta Sportwagen / Golf Wagon Modification Thread

08-02-2012 11:17 AM #4676
      Scirocco*joe,

How does it ride?
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      things broken
      08-02-2012 01:45 PM #4677
      Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
      Those wheels look great on your wagon
      Quote Originally Posted by chris@revotechnik View Post
      I was trying to get the snowflakes as part of buying my JSW but they were out of stock at the time in the black ones (maybe like 1 set of white??) That pic is making me wish i went through with it.
      Thanks, gents.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Scirocco*joe,

How does it ride?
      So far, it feels they way it should have come from VW. The ride is definitely tighter, but not harsh. The body roll has significantly decreased and you can definitely feel pavement imperfections more than before, but it still feels compliant. It seems to hold up in s-curve transitions and there is no "bounciness" like I have seen/felt in other cars that are overly stiff. I have the Konis set to 1/3 of maximum fimness front and back. I might dial up the front just a little bit, but I'm going to wait and see how I feel.

I honestly went back and forth over coils vs. springs and dampeners, but I am really a "set it and forget it" kinda guy, so I am really happy so far. I really like the feel and the look is just icing on the cake. It looks sporty but is still reasonable for carting the baby around or hauling things up to Maine for vacation.

I'll be interested in seeing how it fares with a full load in the trunk. I have not performed the fender screw mod, but I'm willing to make that happen if need be.

I was wondering how this would all work out with the 18x8.5s, but so far, I am loving life.

1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

Portland, OR

08-02-2012 01:58 PM #4678
      Quote Originally Posted by scirocco*joe View Post
      Thanks, gents.

So far, it feels they way it should have come from VW. The ride is definitely tighter, but not harsh. The body roll has significantly decreased and you can definitely feel pavement imperfections more than before, but it still feels compliant. It seems to hold up in s-curve transitions and there is no "bounciness" like I have seen/felt in other cars that are overly stiff. I have the Konis set to 1/3 of maximum fimness front and back. I might dial up the front just a little bit, but I'm going to wait and see how I feel.

I honestly went back and forth over coils vs. springs and dampeners, but I am really a "set it and forget it" kinda guy, so I am really happy so far. I really like the feel and the look is just icing on the cake. It looks sporty but is still reasonable for carting the baby around or hauling things up to Maine for vacation.

I'll be interested in seeing how it fares with a full load in the trunk. I have not performed the fender screw mod, but I'm willing to make that happen if need be.

I was wondering how this would all work out with the 18x8.5s, but so far, I am loving life.

I would go ahead and remove the screw. It takes 30 seconds and is insurance. I am a set it and forget guy too. I have run coil overs for years now, but I am wanting to go back to shocks/ springs. My issue is the setup I want is $900... yikes! I'd rather just get coil-overs. So I will see what I want to do soon. I might just go with Koni coil-overs again.
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      things broken
      08-02-2012 03:13 PM #4679
      I would go ahead and remove the screw. It takes 30 seconds and is insurance. I am a set it and forget guy too. I have run coil overs for years now, but I am wanting to go back to shocks/ springs. My issue is the setup I want is $900... yikes! I'd rather just get coil-overs. So I will see what I want to do soon. I might just go with Koni coil-overs again.
      Not a bad idea. What set up are you looking at costs $900?

You and I have similar stables, my wife having the 2012 Golf 2.5, so long as you sub your E30 for my Mk1 Scirocco. But they're both from the same era.
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

Portland, OR

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 Golf Wagon
      08-02-2012 04:42 PM #4680
      Quote Originally Posted by DrFraserCrane View Post
      recent shots - pss10 coilovers spun down
      Love the car! The plate frame made me burst out in laughter.
      '11 Golf Wagon CW | APR Carbonio CAI | AWE CBE | ECS Pulley | 18" Talladega | H&R Sport Springs | H&R RSB | Fog Light Conversion | 35% & 20% Tint | Clear Side Markers | LEDs throughout | S53 Whispbars | Thule bike & ski carrier |
      Planned Mods: Airlift, Rotiform IND

6. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-02-2012 04:54 PM #4681

A properly matched spring and shock will generally ride and perform overall better then a cheap not thought out coilover setup of similar price. I'd take a 900 buck spring/shock combo over a similarly priced coilover in most cases. Assuming we are talking about springs and shocks coming as a kit from a single manufacture not just 500 bucks for shocks and 400 bucks for springs that just so happen to fit, in that case coilovers since its probably going to suck might as well slam it

08-02-2012 04:58 PM #4682
      Not a bad idea. What set up are you looking at costs $900?

You and I have similar stables, my wife having the 2012 Golf 2.5, so long as you sub your E30 for my Mk1 Scirocco. But they're both from the same era.
      H&R Sports and Bilsteins!

Where did you get your Konis from?
      Butler Tires & Wheels

08-02-2012 04:58 PM #4683
      A properly matched spring and shock will generally ride and perform overall better then a cheap not thought out coilover setup of similar price. I'd take a 900 buck spring/shock combo over a similarly priced coilover in most cases. Assuming we are talking about springs and shocks coming as a kit from a single manufacture not just 500 bucks for shocks and 400 bucks for springs that just so happen to fit, in that case coilovers since its probably going to suck might as well slam it
      I agree! I hope I do not get bored of the spring's ride height, especially since most of my cars have been pretty low in the past.
      Butler Tires & Wheels

Vehicles
      2015 Pre Order .:R
      08-02-2012 06:34 PM #4684
      Disagree. ST's are V1's at $700. I'll take them all day long every single time over a non height adjustable kit. Call me crazy.

Vehicles
      Scirocco, R53 CooperS, 993, 190e 2.3-16
      08-02-2012 09:32 PM #4685
      Quote Originally Posted by intanetfreak View Post
      Love the car! The plate frame made me burst out in laughter.

thanks sir

got my headlights from Ed in:

Vehicles
      (2011) Jetta Sportwagon 2.5 - 5 speed manual trans.
      08-02-2012 09:50 PM #4686
      wow, really lovely !

Vehicles
      97 GTI Charged VR .. 2011 CW JSW
      08-02-2012 10:07 PM #4687
      [QUOTE=DrFraserCrane;78458160]thanks sir

[QUOTE]

Looks great! Where in the Balto County area are you, just noticed that in your profile, I've not seen a lot of JSW's around here with any work done. My office is in Balto County, my father lives way up in Monkton area.

Vehicles
      08-02-2012 10:49 PM #4688
      Quote Originally Posted by VdubBry View Post

Looks great! Where in the Balto County area are you, just noticed that in your profile, I've not seen a lot of JSW's around here with any work done. My office is in Balto County, my father lives way up in Monkton area.
      thanks

I am currently in the 4 corners area but often in towson and timonium. soon to be commuting up and down 83 into the city

Vehicles
      97 GTI Charged VR .. 2011 CW JSW
      08-02-2012 10:52 PM #4689
      Ahh ok, small world, I know that area, my father used to live off of Manor, near Sweet Air etc.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Wagon TDI
      08-03-2012 07:42 AM #4690
      Hoping mine show up soon. I got the chrome+LEDs.

I haven't seen the shipping update since they hit Canada on the 31st.

Oh snap, just tried my tracking number from EMS with the Canada Post website. Lights were in Halifax yesterday
      Last edited by ArtieMacKinlay; 08-03-2012 at 07:45 AM.
      dublove.ca | Unitronicchipped

Vehicles
      things broken
      08-03-2012 08:15 AM #4691
      H&R Sports and Bilsteins!

Where did you get your Konis from?
      North American Motorsports. With shipping, they were the cheapest price in town. The first set of struts I received were all banged up. They worked directly with Koni to get a replacement set sent in a matter of days, no hassle, no problem and no money out of my pocket. While that should be the standard, I haven't always had that treatment, so I am happy to recommend them. Great experience.

thanks sir

I have been very interested in these lights. Fraser, can you share your experience with installation, fit and finish as well as any coding and performance? I'd love to have an opinion from someone I know and trust.

Regardless of that, they look amazing!
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

Portland, OR

08-03-2012 09:32 AM #4692
      North American Motorsports. With shipping, they were the cheapest price in town. The first set of struts I received were all banged up. They worked directly with Koni to get a replacement set sent in a matter of days, no hassle, no problem and no money out of my pocket. While that should be the standard, I haven't always had that treatment, so I am happy to recommend them. Great experience.

I have been very interested in these lights. Fraser, can you share your experience with installation, fit and finish as well as any coding and performance? I'd love to have an opinion from someone I know and trust.

+1

Ok I'll check out NAM.
      Butler Tires & Wheels

18. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      X,80,X,X,98,00,X,06,12
      08-03-2012 09:40 AM #4693
      Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
      Disagree. ST's are V1's at $700. I'll take them all day long every single time over a non height adjustable kit. Call me crazy.

I've never in my life experienced a sub $1000 coilover set have better ride quality then a properly matched spring shock combo. The additional cost to manufacture the coilover bodies, adjusters etc and attempt to make a price point mean corners are cut and usually that is through just throwing in overly damped shocks to control stiffer untested springs and in a box they go.

Something like an eibach pro kit or an h&R cup kit have specifically tuned for an application shocks and springs, the ride will not be matched by a cheap coilover kit.

I'm not saying that I haven't done cheap coilovers to get height adjustment at times and sacrificed elsewhere. What I am saying is that if your budget is say 700 bucks and being as low as possible is not your goal then you'll generally have much better ride quality with a matched set of shocks and springs vs coilovers in the same price point.

Hell most 2K coilover setups don't often ride all that well either since they never get setup right, but thats not the product its the end user (personally guilty of this right now myself with my V3s)

08-03-2012 11:30 AM #4694
      I've never in my life experienced a sub $1000 coilover set have better ride quality then a properly matched spring shock combo. The additional cost to manufacture the coilover bodies, adjusters etc and attempt to make a price point mean corners are cut and usually that is through just throwing in overly damped shocks to control stiffer untested springs and in a box they go.

Something like an eibach pro kit or an h&R cup kit have specifically tuned for an application shocks and springs, the ride will not be matched by a cheap coilover kit.

I'm not saying that I haven't done cheap coilovers to get height adjustment at times and sacrificed elsewhere. What I am saying is that if your budget is say 700 bucks and being as low as possible is not your goal then you'll generally have much better ride quality with a matched set of shocks and springs vs coilovers in the same price point.

Hell most 2K coilover setups don't often ride all that well either since they never get setup right, but thats not the product its the end user (personally guilty of this right now myself with my V3s)
      I agree. I race and generally this is how it goes: start with a matched spring/ shock set. Move up to a $2000+ custom valved coil-over set. No one ever tracks $700-1000 coil-overs.

All of the $1000 coil-overs ride nice, but they are designed not to bounce when lowered. You can get some custom setups made but they sure as hell are not going to be $700. I have taken $1000 coil overs on the track and I do not recommend it.

^ Even at the Dragon $1000 coil-overs suck. I switched back to a H&R Cup Kit.
      Butler Tires & Wheels

Vehicles
      08-03-2012 11:36 AM #4695

install was not bad - I had pulled the bumper previously for the fogs so that part was easy.

fit and finish - there were a few blemishes on the lights that Ed is making right, very small in the scheme of things.

as for coding - I had already killed my DRLs via VAGCOM, other than that they were plug and play -- no codes using a error canceller with the HIDs and the shutters for the high beams work flawlessly

I am much happier with having HIDs than I am upset with these minor issues

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Wagon TDI
      08-03-2012 01:08 PM #4696
      Got mine in! Now to read some guides on installation. I'm worried about pulling the bumper.

I also need to go buy proper bits.

Vehicles
      things broken
      08-03-2012 04:10 PM #4697
      install was not bad - I had pulled the bumper previously for the fogs so that part was easy.

fit and finish - there were a few blemishes on the lights that Ed is making right, very small in the scheme of things.

as for coding - I had already killed my DRLs via VAGCOM, other than that they were plug and play -- no codes using a error canceller with the HIDs and the shutters for the high beams work flawlessly

I am much happier with having HIDs than I am upset with these minor issues
      Good to hear. What do you mean by error canceller? VAG-COM?
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

Portland, OR

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Wagon TDI
      08-03-2012 04:23 PM #4698
      The HID kit comes with a canbus ballast/error light cancel.

I'd like some info on where the ballast is mounted, this is the first time I've ever done headlights on a car, let alone jumping from halogens to HIDs

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      08-03-2012 10:23 PM #4699
      I agree. I race and generally this is how it goes: start with a matched spring/ shock set. Move up to a $2000+ custom valved coil-over set. No one ever tracks $700-1000 coil-overs.

All of the $1000 coil-overs ride nice, but they are designed not to bounce when lowered. You can get some custom setups made but they sure as hell are not going to be $700. I have taken $1000 coil overs on the track and I do not recommend it.

^ Even at the Dragon $1000 coil-overs suck. I switched back to a H&R Cup Kit.
      I dunno.. the Koni coils do amazingly well on the track. Granted, their retail is closer to $1200, I think. If I was racing the car I'd change out to something better designed for the car, but the Koni single adjustables are nothing to ignore.
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

25. 08-04-2012 04:02 PM #4700
      ST Coilovers 24 3/4" fender to ground. Really like these coils they ride perfect.

Page 188 of 243 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238 ... LastLast