Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: The woodpecker logo

1. 01-11-2010 02:25 AM #1
      Anyone know the story behind the woodpecker logo design? It's both a camshaft and muffler company logo. Then, apparently the Honda motorcycle racing team also have a Woody Woodpecker logo.

I was looking online for stickers. It seems a popular tattoo for some reason. The tattoo was also featured in Gone in 60 Seconds. You don't see the Michelin man tattoo anywhere. Popular among hot rodders?

2. 01-11-2010 02:28 AM #2
      Here, i took some time and typed out a good explanation of his history for you...

Mr. Horsepower is the cartoon mascot and logo of Clay Smith Cams [1], an auto shop established in 1931. Mr. Horsepower is rarely without a cigar, but when he is, he has a "cigar replacement" - such as a candy cane for the holidays.

The Mr. Horsepower logo[2] is commonly seen as a car decal or tattoo. The logo has also appeared in a wide range of movies including Spider-Man and Gone in 60 Seconds. It has appeared in video games as well, most prominently perhaps in Sega GT 2002 for the Xbox video game console.

Eddie's Auto Parts, based out of Knoxville, Tennessee, uses a logo almost exactly like Mr. Horsepower except that the bird has a rounded bottom to its beak, lacks a smoke trail from his cigar and has messier "head feathers." This bird logo can be seen on the famous Eddie's Auto Parts t-shirt. A blue version of this t-shirt being one which the stars of MTV's "Jackass" seem to share.

Mr. Horsepower is also often confused with the "Thrush Bird", the logo of Thrush, a muffler manufacturer. The differences lie in that the Thrush Bird does not have anything in his mouth whereas Mr. Horsepower has a cigar or a "cigar replacement." The Thrush Bird's beak is also curved on the bottom and has a nostril hole whereas Mr. Horsepower's is not. Other minor differences include the presence or absence of teeth and the tufting of the feathers on the forehead. Both birds share a rather maniacal demeanor however. The logo has also appeared in the Coen brothers' Raising Arizona, where the main character, H.I., and his antithesis, Leonard Smalls, both had tattoos very similar though not identical to that of the Thrush Bird.[3]

To people in the mainstream, Mr. Horsepower is usually confused with cartoon character Woody Woodpecker. The notable points of contrast are that Woody Woodpecker's beak is curved but smooth on top and bottom, and his head-feathers form a well-contained "V" shape in early iterations or a sprout of sorts in newer iterations. The most obvious difference, however, remains in the portrayal of Mr. Horsepower, the Eddie's Auto Parts logo and the Thrush Bird as maniacal, whereas Woody the Woodpecker exhibits a more high-spirited insanity.

To add to the confusion, all four fictional birds are popular logos within the racing community - Woody Woodpecker being the most recent addition with its use by the Honda Motorcycle Racing Team.

and now, for Clay Smith Cams

The "Mr. Horsepower" legacy began in the early 1930's with Camshafts that were literally hand-ground by Clay Smith to high performance specifications. His technical expertise was recognized by the industry and racers were mesmerized by the overall performance of his products. Although he specialized in camshafts, his high performance engines were setting world speed records. Clay's strict attention to a high standard of quality and performance made his components among the most asked for items in racing.
      Clay Smith Engineering Company was founded in the late 40's. Since that time, the company has strived to maintain the standards set up by Clay himself. Throughout the years, Clay Smith Engineering has continued to push the boundaries of engine performance through constant research and development. Following the death of Clay Smith in 1954, "Red" Wilson took over the reigns, and then in the 70's, George "Honker" Striegel took on the challenge.
      "Honker" had a reputation of his own in the racing industry, setting numerous records in the super stock classes in drag racing and then with the ever famous Henry J (the Henry Honker). He also experienced great success in boat racing where he won numerous world championships and was the first driver to acquire the APBA Triple Crown with his competition jet (the American Revolution). George's high performance engines are in great demand and he has established himself as a competitor in the high performance world - continuing the legacy of Clay Smith by always building a high quality product and proudly displaying the now famous "Mr. Horsepower Woodpecker."
      In the 80's and on into the 90's George has established a Clay Smith Team dedicated to building quality products that set the standard for the industry. Joining him in this endeavor is his daughter, Sherry, whose goal is customer satisfaction through quality service and timely delivery and several other dedicated employees who support our motto.
      "We build the best and fix the rest"
      Mr. Horsepower Logo
      MR. HORSEPOWER logo
      In keeping with the Clay Smith tradition, we have expanded our now famous logo into a fine line of apparel and accessories, so whether you are looking for clothes or you need fine racing products, we have it all.

phew, my hands are tired

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

Vehicles
      '09 MINI Cooper S; '03 MR2 Spyder; '03 Focus ZX3
      01-11-2010 02:31 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by Nourdmrolnmt »
      phew, my hands are tired

Yeah - I have that same issue using Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.

You should do what I do and switch to using the right-click menus via the mouse. It's much less strss on the joints.

>8^)
      ER

4. 01-11-2010 02:35 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Peloton25 »

Yeah - I have that same issue using Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.

You should do what I do and switch to using the right-click menus via the mouse. It's much less strss on the joints.

>8^)
      ER

to right click on my computer i have to hold down the ctrl key since im on a laptop/mac... cmd v and cmd c are much simpler...

Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

Vehicles
      2002 Acura RSX
      01-11-2010 02:44 AM #5
      depending on how old your mac is... go into settings and enable right click, you just need to tap the track pad with 2 fingers to get the right click menu.
      and this comment contributes nothing to the actual thread subject

6. 01-11-2010 02:48 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Wolfs Edition DUB77 »
      depending on how old your mac is... go into settings and enable right click, you just need to tap the track pad with 2 fingers to get the right click menu.
      and this comment contributes nothing to the actual thread subject

yea, i know this... but its much easier cuz my left hand is normally always on the keyboard...

Vehicles
      B7 A4 S-line w/ APR stuff
      01-11-2010 03:32 AM #7