VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Crank bolt which way to remove

46K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Quizzys 
#1 ·
which way do i have to spin the bolt to get the crank bolt off??? is it reverse thread?

#5 ·
Re: FV-QR (need_a_VR6)

its never an sob.
its the engine is in the car, use and breaker bar propped up against the ground with the socket on the bolt, and QUICKLY turn the engine over.
that way has worked everytime, just dont be a *****.
and if the engine is out of the car, and say on a stand, turn the engine up sidedown, remove the oil pan. put a few tennis balls in the crankcase propped between the walls of the block and say the rod or crank. then remove the bolt with a breaker bar and socket.
this way holds the crank still every time.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
good luck

#6 ·
FV-QR

Seriously? I've done more pulley installs then I'd like to count and about 1 in 5 are a complete pain in the rear. Holding the crank still is the hardest part, the impact will spin it against even a stiff clutch if it's an older car with the stock pulley. I've had to drop pans to lock the crank against the side of the block before to get them off.

#14 ·
ok i got the crank to lock.... but now i am jumping on my wranch or my brakerbar nothing.... my electric impact nothing.... my air impact nothing.... dammmmmm i am like 180 lbs and the motor moves with me when i put pressure and my "fat ass friend(300lbs)" was steping on my motor and still nothing.....!!!!! wow i know it 100lbs + 90deg turn........ i am getting pissed!!!!

#20 ·
lol ok this is how i got it out tennis ball didnt work so.... i jabed a foot 2/8" extension to lock it and i stood on the block while my friend kicked and jumped on it( big long cheater bar) and sure enough it came out and wow my impact did number on the bolt. and u have to reinstall bolt to move crank to get the extension out.... u dont want to ruin the cylinder wall so just lock the piston!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.