Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: anyone know PA inspection law regarding cracked windshield?

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan S, 2013 GLI
      08-15-2002 09:53 PM #1
      Moving out of the city best seen in a rear view mirror (Cleveland), albeit the land of no state inspections. I got a big spider crack in my Golf's windshield. I'll have to register the car in PA in April when my Ohio registration runs out. Anyway, my Golf is my beater and it doesn't bother me one bit that the crack is there (on the passenger side).

Can I pass inspection with this? I can live with the crack for the rest of my life. If I need to replace it, some shop in Ohio quoted me $145 for a new windshield, so I might bite the bullet. Everyone else wants to do it for $250-$300, so if I have to replace it, I might as well do it now while the getting is cheap. Thanks guys-

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      08-15-2002 10:16 PM #2
      It depends on the size. If it's out of the way, and is just a knick kinda thing, that won't grow, it'll pass. But if it's a crack, especially one that looks like it can or has grown, it won't pass inspection.

Do you have insurance? Most insurance companies will cover 1 windshield a year. May also depend on your deductable.

Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta SE w/ conv.
      08-15-2002 10:17 PM #3
      I don't think so, but maybe some others on here will know for sure. Welcome to PA!

4. 08-15-2002 11:03 PM #4
      chips are fine, but cracks even on the passenger side will fail. Mine has passed pa inspection with chips but they where small and out of the driver's vision.

5. 08-16-2002 01:03 AM #5
      quote:
      chips are fine, but cracks even on the passenger side will fail. Mine has passed pa inspection with chips but they where small and out of the driver's vision.

not true. my brother is a service manager at a vw dealer i asked him about this. if it's not in the line of sight it will pass, if someone says no take it to another place, the pa law is line of sight(as in drivers side)

Vehicles
      08-16-2002 09:30 AM #6
      quote:

not true. my brother is a service manager at a vw dealer i asked him about this. if it's not in the line of sight it will pass, if someone says no take it to another place, the pa law is line of sight(as in drivers side)

I still think you are wrong. If it's a chip, and is out of the line of sight, it may pass. But if it's a crack, that's another story. A crack can grow, and can soon be in the line of vision, therefore, it will not pass.

7. 08-16-2002 09:48 AM #7
      I always thought if it was a crack in the path of the windshield wiper it would fail. I have a small chip at the bottom middle, and it passed.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      011 Prius, 07 GuangZhou Honda Odssey & 2011 Lexus RX350
      08-16-2002 05:14 PM #8
      I had big crack on Front winshield and inspection station guys toled cant inspect a car because of it. So I kept my registration in Michigan. Save me 200 bucks
      VW for Fun and Honda for daily But now no VW (for now)
      2007 GuangZhou Honda Odyssey in China
      2011 Lexus RX350 Ultra Luxury in China
      2011 Toyota Prius Touring Selection in Japan

9. 08-17-2002 01:33 PM #9
      it pretty much boils down to the discretion of the inspector, if the guy wants to sell you a windshield, he'll tell you it will fail. but it is most certainly "line of sight" if the crack still hasn't made it to the line of sight, and the guy isn't a prick, it'll pass. but feel free to keep arguing.

Vehicles
      08-17-2002 01:40 PM #10
      quote:
      it pretty much boils down to the discretion of the inspector, if the guy wants to sell you a windshield, he'll tell you it will fail. but it is most certainly "line of sight" if the crack still hasn't made it to the line of sight, and the guy isn't a prick, it'll pass. but feel free to keep arguing.

Sorry. But I still disagree. My Uncle owned a service station, so I know that regardless of where the crack is, if the crack is growing (I actually think if it's more than an inch in length) it will not pass.

Keep in mind, the majority of service stations that do state inspections, do not sell windshields. So it's not a matter of someone trying to make money off a windshield, by telling you it HAS to be replaced.

Vehicles
      87 Sheep Dog
      08-17-2002 01:54 PM #11
      well, NJ is the same way, its at the discretion of the person who is giving the inspection, my girlfreind took her fox to the inspection stationand was failed, i took the exact same car, no less than 2 days later, and it passed....i mean, 50% of the test depends on who you get, and the tpye of mood the guy is in and on a lot of other things that almost have nothing to do with the inspection itself, inspection in general is a joke...
      DCI VW | dt, at, lt <3 | The Celtic Football Club

Vehicles
      87 Sheep Dog
      08-17-2002 02:12 PM #12
      quote:

Keep in mind, the majority of service stations that do state inspections, do not sell windshields. So it's not a matter of someone trying to make money off a windshield, by telling you it HAS to be replaced.

correct they dont have the winsheilds "in stock" most places dont, but they will be more than happy to tell you it should be replaced, most service stations that do the private inspections, will be the first to offer and try and sell you a windsheild that they will have delivered and will offer to do the install, for a nice labor charge, thats where private inpsections get complicated...they try to make money off of stuff they feel should be fixed before the inspection....

DCI VW | dt, at, lt <3 | The Celtic Football Club

13. 08-17-2002 02:28 PM #13
      quote:

Sorry. But I still disagree. My Uncle owned a service station, so I know that regardless of where the crack is, if the crack is growing (I actually think if it's more than an inch in length) it will not pass.

right, so let me get this, your uncle owned a service station.
      so when my brother is sitting right next to me (right after he left work as a vw service manager) and tells me line of sight is the law, and discretion of the inspector is the rule. I'm certainly wrong. because your uncle used to own a shop.

and you know about markup right? you think the station isn't gonna throw on their own little charge once the windshield man is done installing. i drove tow trucks for 4 years, and i know what happens at inspection stations. and i doubt that has changed since i stopped working there.

Vehicles
      08-17-2002 06:38 PM #14
      Well, about service stations not having windshields. It's not really a matter of them having them in stock. Right now, shops that do NOTHING but replace windshields are a dime a dozen. I don't know of ONE individual in the last 5-10 years who's had a windshield replaced at a service station. 100% of the time, they don't even let it wait until inspection. They pay the $50 their insurance company requires, and someone shows up at their office, and an hour later, they have a new windshield.

And sorry, but for the very few number of windshields a service station may actually contract out to one of these other places, I just don't see it being a huge mark-up item for them, that they're all jumping like crazy to have people replace them.

I will agree, however, that it is kinda up to the discretion of the guy doing the inspection. However, that doesn't change what the actual guideline is, as to whether or not it will pass inspection. The inspection could require that anything in the line of site will cause it to fail, but the guy could still pass it.

Some people will pass euro-rear fog lights, some won't. Doesn't mean it's legal to have here in PA.

15. 08-17-2002 07:33 PM #15
      in MD, the chip can be no greater than the size of a dime or it fails...but MD is prolly more strict on inspections (right???)...

ins. co. should only charge a $100 comp. deductable.