Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You're a celebrity, how do you manage money?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Jetta SE, 1991 Honda Prelude Si
      01-12-2010 08:58 PM #1
      So you're a major celebrity, say Madonna, how do you manage your money? Of course you have a team of accountants but how do you know what you have?

The majority of us know what we have in terms of assets and liabilities, how much we have liquid and where investments are. When you own 5+ mansions, have a staff of housekeepers, gardeners, chefs, etc., how do you keep track of it?

And how do you trust your accountant(s)?

Stop Brand Identity

2. 01-12-2010 09:34 PM #2
      Poorly.
      Peach Blossom - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      Mercedes-Benz GLK250, BMW 335is
      01-12-2010 09:47 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by RottyB5A2 »
      And how do you trust your accountant(s)?

That's the most important question you asked. A lot of celebrities are taken advantage of by their money people.

4. Senior Member
      01-12-2010 10:40 PM #4
      So you're a major celebrity, say Madonna, how do you manage your money? Of course you have a team of accountants but how do you know what you have?

The majority of us know what we have in terms of assets and liabilities, how much we have liquid and where investments are. When you own 5+ mansions, have a staff of housekeepers, gardeners, chefs, etc., how do you keep track of it?

Some celebrities live a relatively simple life. E.g. a nice house in Omaha, Nebraska (for the past 50 years) and a Cadillac.

And they manage their money themselves (though they (or their companies) need to hire accountants, of course).

Modified by tjl at 6:43 PM 1-12-2010

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla.
      01-13-2010 09:29 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by tjl »

Some celebrities live a relatively simple life.

Ok you found one..

"I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      01-13-2010 09:42 AM #6
      Mr. Buffett isn't a celebrity in the traditional sense though.

Vehicles
      01-13-2010 09:49 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Oliver@triplezoom »
      Mr. Buffett isn't a celebrity in the traditional sense though.

Agreed. I don't expect most celebrities to have the sheer experience with finance that he does. He was scheming ways to make money when he was a kid no matter what it was. Paperboy, fetching golf balls and everything in between. Clever man.

"I don’t want the company to be driven by numbers. I want it to be driven by making better cars and contributing to society. That will turn into profit, which we can use to develop better cars. That should be the cycle, and that will, as a result, build a company with a strong foundation."
      -Akio Toyoda

8. Banned
      01-13-2010 09:52 AM #8
      I don't get how ANYONE pays ANYONE to manage THEIR money.

I can understand company, but personal?

Vehicles
      01-13-2010 10:16 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by VdubChaos »

I don't understand how celebrities do half the **** they do so for them to hire someone to manage their finances, well, its not as crazy as it sounds!

-Akio Toyoda

01-13-2010 10:40 AM #10

In my eyes, there gets to be a point where you have so much income that managing it yourself would become a full-time job in and of itself so that hiring someone to take care of it for you (under your terms and conditions) makes the best financial sense.

Streams of income coming from investments, sales, various companies and LLCs, property management firms would get to be quite overwhelming for one person to direct to various funds for safe-keeping, trusts for children, living expenses, etc.

The owner of my company dips into all manner of investing, rental property (large) ownership, and god knows what else. If he had to sit in front of a computer all day managing the different sources of income and directing it properly(assuming he could properly use a computer and the internet), how would he be able to be on the phone and road all day, making the next deal?

Even if a celeb (of any nature- sports, movies, tv, etc) was smart enough to do this themselves, why would they want to? They could be out enjoying life or making the next deal for themselves.

Vehicles
      '13 Camry Hybrid, '11 Routan, , 2004 Triumph Sprint ST
      01-13-2010 11:05 AM #11
      I'd much rather be a Madonna than an LT. Athletes are extremely short-sighted in understanding the gravy train for them will end with their careers, while entertainers can usually count on a longer career and residuals.

If I was pulling in several hundred million a year, you'd better believe I'd hire a manager and an accountant. Like any other hires, you get references, make sure they're bonded/insured, etc.

12. 01-13-2010 12:08 PM #12
      One client of mine is a famous movie director. He lives a rather simple life compared to others that I have seen. When he is working there are times when he may be in another country for weeks at a time. He just doesn't have the time to manage it all nor the know how.

For the most part he has a house in LA and NY (very little debt against) 2 simple cars, sizable amount of securities and cash.

Another person won some $50 million in the lottery. Most of you think you could manage all that kind of money but you are fooling yourselves

Vehicles
      2005 Passat Variant
      01-13-2010 02:21 PM #13
      I would presume that any smart celeb/athlete/musician/trust fund baby would be smart enough to hire managers, accountants and financial advisors who act as a check and balance on each other.

14. 01-13-2010 02:27 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by SteveMKIIDub »

Agreed. I don't expect most celebrities to have the sheer experience with finance that he does. He was scheming ways to make money when he was a kid no matter what it was. Paperboy, fetching golf balls and everything in between. Clever man.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell the difference between a clever investor and a lucky investor.

Vehicles
      01-13-2010 02:35 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by a_riot »

Unfortunately there is no way to tell the difference between a clever investor and a lucky investor.

So Buffets success was luck?

-Akio Toyoda

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      01-13-2010 03:26 PM #16
      So you're a major celebrity, say Madonna, how do you manage your money?

I'd follow the celebrity trend...... I wouldn't. I'd pay some big shot shady guy to do it for me, spend more than I should and then sue the big shot shady guy for ripping me off while I paid no attention to my bottom line. Seems like the celeb thing to do.

Fortunately, I'm not a major celebrity.

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

17. 01-13-2010 03:35 PM #17

So Buffets success was luck?

Like I said, its impossible to say. Buffett has so much money to invest he makes markets. He also got severely clobbered in 2008, just like most everyone else.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      01-13-2010 04:21 PM #18
      ...thinking of all the gold i could buy as a celebrity...
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

Vehicles
      01-13-2010 04:23 PM #19
      Be sure to buy it using a credit card.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      01-13-2010 04:23 PM #20
      is there any other way to?
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

Vehicles
      01-13-2010 04:34 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by a_riot »

Like I said, its impossible to say. Buffett has so much money to invest he makes markets. He also got severely clobbered in 2008, just like most everyone else.

But Buffet never started that way. He first started getting money by the examples I posted and many more. It took him plenty of time and hard work to get where he is. For him to be there I most certainly do not think luck has any part of.

FWIW

-Akio Toyoda

22. Senior Member
      01-13-2010 04:34 PM #22

Anyone who buys any mutual fund is paying someone else to manage some of his/her money.

Of course, someone who is super-rich may be able to buy into lower cost "institutional"-class shares of mutual funds.

Modified by tjl at 12:39 PM 1-13-2010

01-13-2010 07:20 PM #23

You'd be surprised how many celebrities are cheap; and cheap people usually not only know how many homes they have, but how much change they have in their pockets.

Tiger Woods was notoriously known as a cheap guy, but I was surprised he extended that attitude to women; considering all he had at stake.

I am also sure celebrities have more time than the rest of us to find the right people in the right circles to manage everything: from finance to weight loss if they wanted to.

Its not like they're stuck on the freeway or grinding it out at the office.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." - G. Costanza

24. 01-13-2010 10:10 PM #24

But Buffet never started that way. He first started getting money by the examples I posted and many more. It took him plenty of time and hard work to get where he is. For him to be there I most certainly do not think luck has any part of.

FWIW

Buffet made a lot of his money starting out by investing in himself and his company... I would say he's made a majority of his money investing in himself (his companies)

It doesn't hurt that after he made a ton of money investing in himself - the 80s and 90s happen and any value investor would have made BOAT LOADS of money.

He's a smart guy and he's earned it. I don't want to take anything away from him - but everything we do is luck when you consider that we were lucky enough not to get hit by a bus this morning.

25. Member
      01-14-2010 01:46 AM #25
      Quote, originally posted by x1000rpms »

He's a smart guy and he's earned it. I don't want to take anything away from him - but everything we do is luck when you consider that we were lucky enough not to get hit by a bus this morning.

You may consider that luck, but I consider that being smart enough to watch out for buses.

If I had a million dollars I'd probably get two chicks at one time.

But since I'm a celebrity in this thread I could probably find skanks on a regular basis to double up on a dude like me... maybe I'd buy a block of gold to stare at and pet. After that, I think it'd be cool to burn a whole lot of money on a funeral pyre.

So I guess I wouldn't manage it at all, at least not in any useful way.

Vehicles
      01-14-2010 11:51 AM #26
      Quote, originally posted by Mr. Tickles »

You may consider that luck, but I consider that being smart enough to watch out for buses.

If I had a million dollars I'd probably get two chicks at one time.

But since I'm a celebrity in this thread I could probably find skanks on a regular basis to double up on a dude like me... maybe I'd buy a block of gold to stare at and pet. After that, I think it'd be cool to burn a whole lot of money on a funeral pyre.

So I guess I wouldn't manage it at all, at least not in any useful way.

Quality post here

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      01-14-2010 02:41 PM #27
      Would have to hire people.
      Hire smart, referenced, known people.

Then no matter the pain it might be, I would be sure to remain informed about what I had and where. I would want to keep track of how well everything is doing... so that maybe it would be a little bit easier to spot the inevitable stealing before too much damage is done to assets and reputation.

epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

28. Senior Member
      01-14-2010 08:36 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by dunhamjr »
      Would have to hire people.
      Hire smart, referenced, known people.

Then no matter the pain it might be, I would be sure to remain informed about what I had and where. I would want to keep track of how well everything is doing... so that maybe it would be a little bit easier to spot the inevitable stealing before too much damage is done to assets and reputation.

But does it have to be terribly complicated? Publically available mutual funds, or companies like Berkshire Hathaway, are effectively ways to hire money managers with required amounts of disclosure about investment policies, history, etc.

Vehicles
      01-15-2010 09:58 AM #29
      Ugh, lets just end this thread once and for all. If your a celebrity...

...you just hire ChrisMD!

Done.

-Akio Toyoda

Vehicles
      01-15-2010 11:33 AM #30
      Get a beige card.

31. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      01-15-2010 12:35 PM #31
      I'd take all of my financial advice from Nicholas Cage.

Vehicles
      01-15-2010 12:53 PM #32

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      01-15-2010 01:02 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by tjl »

But does it have to be terribly complicated? Publically available mutual funds, or companies like Berkshire Hathaway, are effectively ways to hire money managers with required amounts of disclosure about investment policies, history, etc.

No its does not have to be complicated.
      But the complication doesn't necessarily come from the Investment side of things either...

You have to think about all the other stuff as well. Making sure assistants/staff get paid, housing/family expenses get paid, CC bills get paid... and all the various streams of income end up getting properly collected and routed into your various checking, savings, investment accounts.

epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      01-15-2010 01:13 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by SAPJetta »
      Get a beige card.

Exactly. You put every bill (mortgages, salaries, Starbucks, everything) on your beige card and only have one payment per month. Done.

I'd have a few institutional funds, private placements, bdc's, pretty much everything to diversify. Oh, even some gold.

35. Senior Member
      01-15-2010 05:17 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by dunhamjr »
      No its does not have to be complicated.
      But the complication doesn't necessarily come from the Investment side of things either...

You have to think about all the other stuff as well. Making sure assistants/staff get paid, housing/family expenses get paid, CC bills get paid... and all the various streams of income end up getting properly collected and routed into your various checking, savings, investment accounts.

Housing, family, credit cards are all normal bills that regular people deal with, so unless one has numerous additional houses, or things like private yachts and private airplanes or fleets of cars, that should not be much additional complication (indeed, the super rich could pay cash for houses, cars, and the like, so there is no complication with remembering to pay the loan each month). As far as income goes, it depends on how many different sources and how variable it is (though ordinary people who do contract or consulting work likely have similar situations with respect to multiple income sources).

Of course, the personal finance stuff described above is not the same as managing the business of generating the income, which could be more complicated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast