Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY - Wiring a Euro Headlight Switch to run parking lights (MkVI GTi)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      08-09-2010 04:43 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by slicccknut View Post
      volsfan0911-

i know you've told me that you have the same thing but does your indicator on your euro switch such as the low beam lights up green when chosen..? not sure if my euro switch indicators are all screwed up or not, but as i mentioned before my parking light indicator on the switch is always lit green even though the switch is on the off position. Now i notice last night that when i put my headlights on the indicator does not light up green and stays red. The only indicator on the switch that seems to work properly is the fog lights.. It lights up from red to green when chosen.. I would like to confirm with you since you have the same chrome euro switch and see if the indicators work properly other than the parking lights..?

Thankx..

I'm pretty sure your switch is working just the same as everyone else with the chrome switch. I do think it is weird to have the green on all the time for parking light no matter if lights are on or off, but that is the same for everyone with the chrome switch. I didn't know the chrome switch also lights green for the fogs. I think that is good.

Essentially the switch position itself is a good indicator for off, parking lights on, and headlights on, so it is fine to simply light up everything when any of the lights are on. Then I think it is nice to have the green for fog, because it is not so easy to tell if the switch is pulled out.

I do like my non-chrome switch, without the green parking light all the time, but I'm pretty darn sure your chrome switch is working just like all of the other chrome switches. If it bugs you, get the non-chrome switch. It is less expensive than the chrome switch and I don't think you will ever miss the chrome.

Two others with a switch like yours
      Quote Originally Posted by Buran View Post
      I've got one of these switches in my MkV since the switch is the same except for cosmetic (silver/black, not just black) in both vehicles. I've also got the always-green parking light position and never could figure out why. Anyone know? MkIV didn't do this. I ask around from time to time in the hope that someone, someday, will know the answer.
      Quote Originally Posted by JTwGTI View Post
      As long as the switch has power the green parking light symbol will be illuminated. Not sure why either.
      Last edited by ksing44; 08-09-2010 at 06:40 PM.
      2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-Manual, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 wheels, 235/45/17 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, P3Cars Digital Interface
      Flickr slideshow of my TDI

Vehicles
      GTI MK4 - GTI MK6
      08-10-2010 04:31 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by ksing44 View Post
      I'm pretty sure your switch is working just the same as everyone else with the chrome switch. I do think it is weird to have the green on all the time for parking light no matter if lights are on or off, but that is the same for everyone with the chrome switch. I didn't know the chrome switch also lights green for the fogs. I think that is good.

Essentially the switch position itself is a good indicator for off, parking lights on, and headlights on, so it is fine to simply light up everything when any of the lights are on. Then I think it is nice to have the green for fog, because it is not so easy to tell if the switch is pulled out.

I do like my non-chrome switch, without the green parking light all the time, but I'm pretty darn sure your chrome switch is working just like all of the other chrome switches. If it bugs you, get the non-chrome switch. It is less expensive than the chrome switch and I don't think you will ever miss the chrome.

Two others with a switch like yours
      Sorry for the late reply but you mean to say all chrome euro switches for the mk6 have this issues with the icons or indicators not working properly.. i bought this crap for $85 and im not about to spend another $65 for the black one i guess ill just have to live with it..

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      08-18-2010 09:51 AM #143
      Once the wire is snaked through, simply push one end into the HL switch harness at slot #3 and tape it to the preexisting wires so that you don't pull it out while working at the other end. Reinsert the harness back into the HL switch. Here is the new wire taped to the others:
      I'm having problems at this stage. The yellow trigger wire won't fully insert into the HL switch harness. Is there a trick to this? I posted over at the LED tail lamp install thread and was told that the harness opens from the side, but I can't see how that would work. Can someone here provide a more detailed description or a picture?

Thanks!!

Vehicles
      GTI MK4 - GTI MK6
      08-18-2010 01:08 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by petteri View Post
      I'm having problems at this stage. The yellow trigger wire won't fully insert into the HL switch harness. Is there a trick to this? I posted over at the LED tail lamp install thread and was told that the harness opens from the side, but I can't see how that would work. Can someone here provide a more detailed description or a picture?

Thanks!!
      If you look in page 3 it shows you a clip you need to unlock in order for you to slide or insert the wire all the way in..

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      08-18-2010 01:09 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by petteri View Post

Thanks!!
      There is a picture from "snobrdrdan" in post #78 on page 3. I tried to include it below. It shows the locking mechanism. It is a bit hard to see how it opens until it opens, but it is definitely there.

2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-Manual, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 wheels, 235/45/17 Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, P3Cars Digital Interface

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      08-18-2010 01:57 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by ksing44 View Post
      There is a picture from "snobrdrdan" in post #78 on page 3. I tried to include it below. It shows the locking mechanism. It is a bit hard to see how it opens until it opens, but it is definitely there.
      Thank you!! I don't know how I missed that photo, but I finally got this done!

Now just waiting on the adaptors for the LEDs....

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      08-28-2010 06:25 PM #147
      I have the ESC Tuning Fog Light Kit installed with Euro Switch and I'd like to be able to have both the front fogs and the DRLs on together - not the w5w bulb but the H15 15W bulb. Would a repair_wire do the trick here? if so how? or am I trying to get more than my vehicle can offer?

My current lighting options are:

switch in off position = day time running lights (H15 15W) on - fogs not available
      one click right = side markers + w5w bulb on (no DRL's) - fogs available
      2nd click right = side markers + w5w bulb on + low or high beams - fogs available
      1 pull at all but off position gets me fogs on

see original question above...
      brenodo
      2010 SportWagen TDI (Blue Graphite Metallic/Titan Black/DSG/Premium 8 w/MDI/Pano Roof/17" Avignon) Mods: 35% tint, fog lamps, Pro-Clip Dash Mount, Cable Jive MDI, convenience glass up/down & 3 blink directionals, 9w7 - Future: H&R Touring Cup Suspension Kit, matte black window trim, led front & rear lighting.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI, '93 Corrado SLC
      09-15-2010 09:25 PM #148
      Ok seriously I've been looking for these 3 boxes you uncheck... no luck finding them... had a friend pull up the helper for the lights and we really need exact verbiage to say what boxes to adjust....... I just need someone to say give coding instructions.. the write up is awesome... the poor memory part has me yanking my hair out. lol please help.

Thanks,

Dave

9. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2010 12:19 AM #149
      bumpity bump

Vehicles
      B7 RS4
      09-16-2010 12:46 AM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by 2wenty2win View Post
      Ok seriously I've been looking for these 3 boxes you uncheck... no luck finding them... had a friend pull up the helper for the lights and we really need exact verbiage to say what boxes to adjust....... I just need someone to say give coding instructions.. the write up is awesome... the poor memory part has me yanking my hair out. lol please help.

Thanks,

Dave
      I had the same problem until I started scrolling with the right and left arrow keys once I was in "09-central electrics > coding > long coding helper" -- hope this helps.
      post count ≠ relevance

They say you are what you eat, which is funny, because I don't remember eating a ****ing legend.

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta Sedan TDI
      09-16-2010 09:13 AM #151
      Strangely, my '10 JSW TDI is pre-wired for the city light function. Disabled the DRLs with the VAGCOM, popped in the euroswitch .... and the city lights worked.

Go figure!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2010 03:18 PM #152
      Sebastian.... Thanks for the info.. I got that part... its the part right after that... The boxes, what numbers do i go into and adjust?

Thanks,

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, RB, 4DR, Loaded
      09-16-2010 03:55 PM #153
      If you bought the switch with Automatic headlights, then you can run your fogs with your DRL's in the Automatic function. At least this is the way it worked on my MKV. Even if you don't have automatic headlights, you should buy this swtich as it will give you this additional lighting option.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2010 05:10 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by Jay07GLI View Post
      If you bought the switch with Automatic headlights, then you can run your fogs with your DRL's in the Automatic function. At least this is the way it worked on my MKV. Even if you don't have automatic headlights, you should buy this swtich as it will give you this additional lighting option.
      Ok, I forgot to note, I have bi-xenons and no auto lights... It is a 2010 MK6 GTI. I installed the wire from pin 3 on the switch to pin 19 on the 52 pin harness for the control module.... the switch now has the green light on in the park position.... When you use the path to get to the helper it has a number of boxes that you can go in. These are the bytes correct? which boxes do I adjust? What number are they and what is the adjustment description?

Hope this helps, and thanks to all of ya'll for your patience!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      09-17-2010 09:59 AM #155
      mornin' bump

16. Member
      Vehicles
      09-18-2010 11:43 PM #156
      saturday nite bump.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf
      09-24-2010 12:10 AM #157
      Just days after getting my MKV Euroswitch and side markers, my tranny failed for the second time. This prompted a trade-in on a MkVI. Will my MKV Euroswitch work if I add the trigger wire, or do I need to get a new switch?

With the MKV switch installed and DRL turned off (DRL as alternate and DRL somethingsomething Active uncheck, no other DRL options), it is either all off or all on.

position 0 = off
      Position 1 = all on
      Position 2 = all on.

Thanks for your assistance.

gap

Vehicles
      2010 Golf
      09-25-2010 03:58 PM #158
      Props to all who contributed to this.

A special PROPS to JTwGTI for the initial DIY,
      Okay, this DIY will allow you to turn off your DRLs and run that tiny light under your low beam with or without your fogs. People have their own reasons for wanting to inactivate DRLs so please, let's not turn this into a "why shut off the DRLs, they are a safety feature" thread. The goal is to run a parking light trigger wire from the HL switch to the Central Electric Control Module (CECM) under the drivers side dash.
      snobrdrdan for the following clip tip,
      Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
      Here's the picture of the "lock" unclipped.....you need to pop it up so that you can slide the wire into the pin's location

and to sgc05vwtdi for the following hanger tip.
      Quote Originally Posted by sgc05vwtdi View Post
      One other tip: I took a wire coat hanger and cut the straight section from the bottom to route the wire from the dash opening to the footwell. Tape the end of the wire to one end of the modified coat hanger. You are able to see the footwell through the switch opening in the dash. Simply guide the coat hanger through the opening toward the footwell and your wire is in place. It took about one minute which included the time to cut the coat hanger.
      I don't have the footwell light, so the only tools I needed were the hanger and a toothpick release the clip and pull the wire back out after a accidently slid it in to slot 21. ALWAYS REMEMBER... If you struggle with something for 10-15 minutes, and it all of a sudden falls into place with minimal effort, make sure it fell into the correct location.

I even turned my DRL back on because it uses the high beems at a very low percentage. I may reroute them to the city lights or fogs (when they are installed) later, but since using the "running lights" position turns them off now, they can stay enabled.

gap
      Last edited by 71sbeetle; 11-03-2010 at 02:21 PM.

19. 10-06-2010 11:00 PM #159
      will the MkIV euro switch work in my MkV R32? thanks...

Vehicles
      07 SB Rabbit(sold), 10 UG 4dr GTI(sold), e86 //M coupe
      10-06-2010 11:02 PM #160
      yeah it works...i had mine from mk5 in my gti for a while

Vehicles
      1971 Super Beetle, 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2014 Golf TDI Manual
      10-06-2010 11:18 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by handpub View Post
      will the MkIV euro switch work in my MkV R32? thanks...
      no the MK4 euroswitch will not work on a MK5 R32 and you are posting in the MK6 forums

Vehicles
      92 Jetta ECOdiesel, 03 Jetta 1.8T, 05 Jetta GLI 1.8T, 11 GTI 4dr, 81 Jetta diesel, 84 Jetta GLI
      10-06-2010 11:41 PM #162
      Hey I have vagcomed the DRLs off and was thinking of getting a eswitch. If I don't install the wire and just do the eswitch will I be alright and just have the fogs option before having them all on available on the next click. Thanks for the help.
      Flip / 7 E U R O 3

Vdubluv
      curbside aka VAGinc
      Beltway Euros

Vehicles
      1971 Super Beetle, 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2014 Golf TDI Manual
      10-07-2010 12:01 AM #163
      if you dont install the wire it will not work, as soon as you turn it to the first position all the lights will come on

Vehicles
      2010 JettaSW, 84 Rabbit GTI-G60, 90 Corrado, 02 GTI
      10-07-2010 12:23 AM #164
      Not to back track but i picked up my switch in Germany from a VW dealership, Chrome for a 2010 Jetta wagon. They list like 6 options for the switch over there.

It is also stamped "Mexico" on the tag, just to let everyone feel better about it.

I think its:
      Black w/rear fogs
      Chrome W/rear fogs
      Black Auto on
      Chrome Auto on
      Black Without rear fogs
      Chrome Without rear fogs.

Correct me if im wrong........

Vehicles
      2011 CSG GTI 6MT
      10-08-2010 05:39 AM #165
      Thanks for the great DIY write up, JTwGTI! Installed my Euro switch w/ auto a few hours ago and works as described. Sure was fun cramming myself under the footwell area

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      10-08-2010 06:19 AM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by GenDV138 View Post
      Sure was fun cramming myself under the footwell area
      For sure, that is the one tough thing about the install. Even with all of the great instructions on this thread, it seems there is no way to avoid that very uncomfortable position.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI - 2001 GTI 1.8t
      10-10-2010 07:36 PM #167
      DUDE,
      Effin great DIY!!!! I'm a fat guy, so gettin under the dash was the hardest part, but otherwise I was done in about 40 minutes........

THANKS

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 2002 TDI | past friends - 1990 Turbo Eclipse, 1992 Kawasaki ZX11
      11-13-2010 10:11 PM #168
      My undying thanks to the OP for this valuable procedure. It was info like this that enabled me to fix the Monsoon speaker wire screwup from the factory on my 2002 TDI (which is still running like a champ).

I can relate to the problem getting under the dash. I had the bottom three vertabrae of my spine fused last April (getting old is a #%$!). It took everything I had to get this done today (oxycodone helps), but it's all worth the effort being able to run my fogs only with those nice PIAA yellowish fog lamps.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      MkVI GTI / BMW R1200GSA
      11-14-2010 06:40 PM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by PugetJim54 View Post
      My undying thanks to the OP for this valuable procedure.
      Nothing makes me happier than knowing that it helped someone feel better about there VW!

BTW, which vertebrae have you had fused?

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 6M 2Dr
      11-30-2010 03:30 PM #170
      Nothing makes me happier than knowing that it helped someone feel better about there VW!

BTW, which vertebrae have you had fused?
      Just did this mod today. Took about 35 minutes. The trickiest part was fishing the wire from the switch down to the harness.

31. 12-21-2010 10:41 PM #171
      Great DIY; really looking forward to trying this on my hopefully-soon-to-be-purchased GTI. Question though: is there any way to run the city lights as DRLs instead of the Xenons? I know with the euro switch they'll come on in the parking light position, but I think it'd look pretty cool to have the city lights be the DRLs. Thoughts?

Vehicles
      2010 Golf
      12-24-2010 11:47 AM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by Kurt871 View Post
      Great DIY; really looking forward to trying this on my hopefully-soon-to-be-purchased GTI. Question though: is there any way to run the city lights as DRLs instead of the Xenons? I know with the euro switch they'll come on in the parking light position, but I think it'd look pretty cool to have the city lights be the DRLs. Thoughts?
      Based on everything I have read, this is not possible. I am not sure how this works with Xenons, but there is a setting to run DRLs with other lights, but it uses the high beams. On my 2.5L, with halogens, they run at less than 50%.

Byte 15, bit 6

Byte 15, bit 7 doesn't appear to make any change on my car, no matter how it is set.

Byte 11 bit 2 is probaly checked by default for Xenons, but I don't have a Xenon system to check that on. The below shot was the default/original setting on my halogen 2010 Golf 2.5L, that was set to use the high beams as DRL

igap

Vehicles
      2010 Golf
      12-24-2010 11:50 AM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by iamgap View Post
      Based on everything I have read, this is not possible. I am not sure how this works with Xenons, but there is a setting to run DRLs with other lights, but it uses the high beams. On my 2.5L, with halogens, they run at less than 50%.

Byte 15, bit 6

Byte 15, bit 7 doesn't appear to make any change on my car, no matter how it is set.

Byte 11 bit 2 is probaly checked by default for Xenons, but I don't have a Xenon system to check that on. The below shot was the default/original setting on my halogen 2010 Golf 2.5L, that was set to use the high beams as DRL

gap
      I forgot to state that if I check Byte 15, Bit 6 and Byte 11, Bit 2, all four lights are active for DRL. I currently have them both unchecked.

gap

34. 12-25-2010 08:53 PM #174
      Bummer; thanks for checking it out for me!

35. 12-29-2010 05:38 PM #175
      I have a 2011 MKVI GTI.

I do not want to disable with DRL.

In this case, will I have any added benefit to installing the Euro switch?

Will I need to program anything via VAGCOM after installed the Euro Switch?

What is the difference between the AUTO/and NO-AUTO version?

In addition, if I am not able to find a vagcom, will headlight work in the meantime?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast