Ok.. couple more pics and I think I will try to put it back together tonight since we are going to get a snowstorm.
First up.. just to make sure it wasn't just this 1 manifold that had the rod misalignment, I cut open another spare manifold I had lying around from the bottom looking up into the changeover rod.
Sure enough, the rod is not where it should be just like the other manifold. How VW let this slip through the cracks, I do not know. But I know that even something as simple as these lips can cause enough turbulence to slow things down when the air is trying to come through at high revs.
Because this is not aligned properly each runner has 4 lips disturbing the flow.. 2 on the way down and 2 on the way up = a mess.
Thanks to a fellow vortexer on here who measured his own and made me a spacer and mailed it to me!!
I haven't test fit it yet, but will tonight.
Next up.. since I was hitting this thing with the dremel anyway, I decided to remove the lip that protrudes inside the upper plenum from the star shaped block off plug that our car does not need. It sits right behind the TB and is another small thing that disrupts airflow. I will seal up the hole from the outside when I put the rest back together.
Here is what I am talking about (cut open / off another manifold for a clear shot)
And finally...since I am going to plug up that hole, I ground down the tabs that hold the block-off plug in..and while I was at it, I removed the filler webbing between the upper runners. (just for fun)