Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 3.6 spark plug change DIY

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '06 B6 3.6 4MO, Sport2, Navi, Dynaudio
      01-21-2010 07:00 PM #1
      Can anyone point me to a DIY spark plug change for the 3.6?. No luck in the Technical Forum. Seems like it would be easy but that plastic cover is giving me a fit and I want to clarify the coil pack removal.

Anyone do it without VAG tools and want to splain what they did?

Thanks!

Modified by B64MO at 4:02 PM 1-21-2010

2. 01-23-2010 05:26 AM #2
      The coil pack removal is a bit tricky; but easy once you learn how. You pinch the cap on the sides while pulling up on the coil. Seems that you need to do both at the same time for the mechanism in the clip to allow it to release.

Once the coil pack is out of the way you can replace the plugs just as you would with a standard plug change. Gaps should be pre-set correctly by NGK; but you should double check with a gauge. I usually put a small dab of anti-sieze (the silver stuff) onto the threads to prevent thread damage on aluminum heads. Be careful installing the new plugs to be sure that you don't cross the threads; aluminum threads can get crossed easily and it's not fun to have to re-thread a cylinder head.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      01-23-2010 09:46 AM #3
      Thanks for the input. What's the trick for getting the plastic strip that covers the wires off? Sounds silly but what a PIA it is. I consider myself a capable wrench, but sometimes these German cars are engineered in the strangest ways.
      I'll spend more time today on it. And post pics and procedure for a DIY since none seem to exist. Thanks

4. 01-23-2010 06:04 PM #4
      Truth be said I have not removed it yet. I took a look at one plug at 28k miles and did not remove the trim cover. My car has 36k and I am going to need to figure this out soon also. IIRC when I tried pulling the cover off I also had trouble with tabs breaking on the lower holder so I stopped and just checked on one plug.

I'll take a look at the parts catalog and see how expensive that lower tray is and if it's not too expensive I'll just replace it when I do the plug change.

The P/N is 03H971803 for the lower conduit; and 03H971839 for the upper. The lower runs ~$15 and upper ~$10 at 1stvwparts.com. There are same P/N's with a "C" at the end also; listing for ~$10 each. I'm not sure what the difference is; ETKA just says "alternately use" 03H971803C.

There is a recall campaign for the coil packs; if you are doing the plugs it might also be a good idea to replace those coils as well. Check with your dealership; they might put your new plugs in for free with new coils.

Modified by TheCentralScrutinizer at 3:50 PM 1-23-2010

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2007 Passat 2.0t Sedan
      01-29-2010 04:02 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by TheCentralScrutinizer »
      There is a recall campaign for the coil packs; if you are doing the plugs it might also be a good idea to replace those coils as well. Check with your dealership; they might put your new plugs in for free with new coils.
      Modified by TheCentralScrutinizer at 3:50 PM 1-23-2010

I thought the recall is only for 2.0T motors. does it apply to 3.6 as well?

I'm going in for a 30k service in a couple of weeks and would ask them to do the recall if there was one.

I received the recall letter for my wife's 2.0t sedan, but haven't received anything for my 3.6 wagon.

2008 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine RIP Totaled 4/23/2013
      2007 Passat 2.0t sedan Wife
      2007 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine, Lemoned

6. Member
      Vehicles
      01-29-2010 07:04 PM #6
      I don't think it includes the 3.6 as they are seperate parts as well.
      Once I spent some quality time with a shop light, I was able to do everything with no problem. First time's always a learning experience. Drives much better now with new spark.
      Also, didn't realize the coil packs were so cheap. About $15. ea. May have to do those down the road.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '06 Passat 3.6 4Motion
      01-30-2010 10:32 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by B64MO »
      I don't think it includes the 3.6 as they are seperate parts as well.

The web site http://www.vwcoils.com/ shows it applying to 3.6's up through '07. I received an initial letter about a month ago, saying I will receive a follow on letter later this year.

Modified by bach63 at 7:37 AM 1-30-2010