Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast
    Results 2,101 to 2,135 of 2364

Thread: The iPad Thread - keep the general chit-chat here. Thanks!

07-20-2011 11:17 PM #2101
      Ah, the poor little guy is delirious, he can't even remember what actually happened, somebody call an ambulance. (FYI, those who feel they constantly have to repeat things to try to get people to believe them are typically the ones who are lying. )
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      07-21-2011 11:35 AM #2102
      Seriously, what a joke.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      08-02-2011 10:28 AM #2103
      Any recommendations for cases for an iPad2? I had the Otterbox Commuter on my first iPad and loved it, but now all they offer for the 2 is the defender and I've read reviews about it being more flimsy than the first and having the plug pieces popping out.

I'm not rough on it and I have a smallish laptop bag it normally stays in, but I'd like to have a case to protect it from scratches and such, especially since I use it for on location photography work (model releases mainly) and other people are handling it.

Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

Vehicles
      WRB ZC6L
      08-02-2011 01:40 PM #2104
      Quote Originally Posted by yzfwv View Post
      Any recommendations for cases for an iPad2? I had the Otterbox Commuter on my first iPad and loved it, but now all they offer for the 2 is the defender and I've read reviews about it being more flimsy than the first and having the plug pieces popping out.

I'm not rough on it and I have a smallish laptop bag it normally stays in, but I'd like to have a case to protect it from scratches and such, especially since I use it for on location photography work (model releases mainly) and other people are handling it.

I've been using the Smart Cover + SwitchEasy CoverBuddy on mine. Keeps it fairly slim and light, covers the back completely and still looks nice.
      14 torque-less wonder | 08 sorority special | seventwosix | flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      The motto of TCL should be: If you build it, we will consider it. Used. In a few years.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      08-07-2011 05:30 AM #2105
      Quote Originally Posted by smallbus1 View Post
      Ipad2?!? When did that happen? I feel like Ipad just went out like a few months ago. Sigh...
      There are persistent rumors we'll see the iPad 3 before the year's out...
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

08-07-2011 04:33 PM #2106
      Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
      There are persistent rumors we'll see the iPad 3 before the year's out...
      I don't think we'll see them before year-end, but I've been wrong once or twice before.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      08-07-2011 08:16 PM #2107
      I really wish the mods would ban that f'ing spammer...

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      08-08-2011 10:23 AM #2108
      Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
      I've been using the Smart Cover + SwitchEasy CoverBuddy on mine. Keeps it fairly slim and light, covers the back completely and still looks nice.
      I'd like to have something with a little more coverage. Weight isn't took much of an issue until people start recommending lead cases.

Hell, my case full of lighting equipment weighs about 125 lbs.

08-08-2011 08:21 PM #2109
      How do I transfer songs from an iPad to a new computer? I don't want to erase the songs when I have to sync.

Vehicles
      Chevy and Chevy
      08-20-2011 08:24 PM #2110
      Anyone hear about the ipad3 release date? I read about the a5 coming out in a few months, so does that mean they will release newer iPads also?

Vehicles
      2014 GLI 30th, 1977 TA W72
      08-21-2011 01:52 AM #2111
      Quote Originally Posted by KMEchick View Post
      I read about the a5 coming out in a few months, so does that mean they will release newer iPads also?

The iPad2 uses the A5...
      Jason • Now 2.0T / 400 • Then 2.0T / 1.8T / 2.0
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Vehicles
      Chevy and Chevy
      08-21-2011 12:13 PM #2112
      Sorry, new to apple products. I meant to say the iOS 5 release. Will that come with new versions of iPad being released?

08-21-2011 12:53 PM #2113
      Quote Originally Posted by KMEchick View Post
      Sorry, new to apple products. I meant to say the iOS 5 release. Will that come with new versions of iPad being released?
      No. Also, I'm not sure why people were even expecting an iPad 3 this year. Apple has had a pretty steady 1-year release cycle, the only recent exception being the iPhone 4S/5.

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      I own a wish-list. In four shades of blue.
      08-22-2011 12:11 AM #2114
      Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
      No. Also, I'm not sure why people were even expecting an iPad 3 this year. Apple has had a pretty steady 1-year release cycle, the only recent exception being the iPhone 4S/5.
      It didn't start as a rumor, it started as a prediction. When Steve Jobs said on stage that this would be "the year of the iPad", John Gruber took it to mean that they'd release a second version of the iPad 2, but with a retina display, before year's end. His guess, very early in the year, was that they'd surprise everyone at the Fall iPod event, with plenty of time for the holiday season. He has since changed his mind, and doesn't expect it this year, but the most rabid rumor hounds took it and ran with it. I'm pretty sure we won't see any new iPad until April, as usual.

The iPhone 5 will be introduced this Fall with iOS 5, and that'll probably become its yearly renewal event. Since the growth of the iPod has plateaued (and I think is starting to fall) the iPhone will pick up the mantle of "darling of the back to school season", plus get a little closer to holiday shopping season.
      My car
      and its identity crisis
      I dodged a bullet there. Note to self: cease fire.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” — Mario Andretti

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      08-22-2011 09:30 PM #2115
      Quote Originally Posted by punkassjim View Post
      It didn't start as a rumor, it started as a prediction. When Steve Jobs said on stage that this would be "the year of the iPad", John Gruber took it to mean that they'd release a second version of the iPad 2, but with a retina display, before year's end. His guess, very early in the year, was that they'd surprise everyone at the Fall iPod event, with plenty of time for the holiday season. He has since changed his mind, and doesn't expect it this year, but the most rabid rumor hounds took it and ran with it. I'm pretty sure we won't see any new iPad until April, as usual.
      I'd almost suspect Apple of perpetuating the rumor. Thinking a new iPad is on the way might forestall people ready to jump ship when the winter releases of the competition come out.
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

16. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      08-28-2011 05:37 PM #2116
      Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
      I'd almost suspect Apple of perpetuating the rumor. Thinking a new iPad is on the way might forestall people ready to jump ship when the winter releases of the competition come out.
      I doubt it. Cannibalizing their own sales isn't something Apple does. It's what HP and RIM did — saying they'd soon release LTE and WiMax versions of their tablets, respectively — and it certainly hasn't helped them sell their current offerings. And truly, Apple isn't preemptively guarding against any Android tablets except maybe the Amazon one. That's the only one that stands a chance in the market.
      My car
      and its identity crisis

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” — Mario Andretti

Vehicles
      indeed!
      08-28-2011 11:09 PM #2117
      I doubt it. Cannibalizing their own sales isn't something Apple does. It's what HP and RIM did — saying they'd soon release LTE and WiMax versions of their tablets, respectively — and it certainly hasn't helped them sell their current offerings. And truly, Apple isn't preemptively guarding against any Android tablets except maybe the Amazon one. That's the only one that stands a chance in the market.
      Apple is preemptively guarding against everyone they are suing. The largest one is Samsung (galaxy tab 10.1), which blows the ipad out of the water.

I love a jim-spin on things every now and then for a laugh though!
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯
      If you have a problem with anything I do here, feel free to call me on my cell to discuss at anytime: (781)452-2079 LEAPRZ

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      08-29-2011 01:54 AM #2118
      And they couldn't possibly be suing the others because over a year and a half after Jobs said "boy have we patented it", the competitors decided to stop trying to make something different, and instead made things that look and function remarkably the same as the iPhone.

For fü¢&'s sake, man, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 even uses a friggin' iPod-style proprietary dock connector. If you think Samsung and all the rest aren't capitalizing on similarity to the iPhone and iPad, I want some of what you're smoking.
      My car
      and its identity crisis

19. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      08-29-2011 11:05 PM #2119
      Samsung was one of few iPad component vendor out of dozens that puts out a competing product with Apple, their customer.

It's simply bad business ethnics for a company to compete directly with your customer, especially one that has inside knowledge of the design. I'm not sure what type of confidentiality agreement Samsung had with Apple or lack of.

If Samsung were to make a X86 compatible CPU, you'll see Intel flex out major legal muscle.

In Asia, people are used to flagrant copying. It's part of the culture, which is why Samsung didn't think it was wrong.
      Last edited by Vision33r; 08-29-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Vehicles
      '12 Chevrolet Cruze
      08-30-2011 12:49 AM #2120
      If you think Samsung and all the rest aren't capitalizing on similarity to the iPhone and iPad, I want some of what you're smoking.
      *Looks at Moto XT860, LG Quantum and Nokia C6-01 on desk*

I can easily tell that all the devices I currently have are no iPhones and I wasn't looking to get an iPhone (or pretend I did) when choosing any of them.

The only phone that could have been called a true iPhone ripoff was the one that intentionally tried to be an iPhone, right down to the on-again, off-again iTunes suppoer: The Palm Pre. And even then, it had the slideout keyboard, a different overall shape, a completely different OS, etc. Not to mention, this being a thread in 2011, it no longer exists.

21. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      08-31-2011 12:09 AM #2121
      If you think Samsung and all the rest aren't capitalizing on similarity to the iPhone and iPad, I want some of what you're smoking.
      Quote Originally Posted by DenCo View Post
      *Looks at Moto XT860, LG Quantum and Nokia C6-01 on desk*

I can easily tell that all the devices I currently have are no iPhones and I wasn't looking to get an iPhone (or pretend I did) when choosing any of them.
      I'm sure the iPhone's design had no bearing at all on these things. Purely coincidental.

My car
      and its identity crisis

22. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      08-31-2011 01:17 AM #2122
      Or, to be more on topic:

But I'm sure all of Apple's claims are illegitimate, because all patents are evil, and it's not like those other tablets are 100% like Apple's stuff, right?
      My car
      and its identity crisis

Vehicles
      '12 Chevrolet Cruze
      08-31-2011 01:51 AM #2123
      So, no one is supposed to make a rectangular device with a black border? That's where these things do get a little bit ridiculous if you ask me...

The sue happy ways of Apple are just one more reason for myself to never look at them when I'm shopping for any device. It's one thing if you're actually being ripped-off, but to claim any slight resemblance is just bad PR\business. A rectangle with a border is no more Apple's property thanthe letter A is mine, for using it just now.

Maybe HP should sue: the iPAQ came out long before Apple's iDevices, after all... oh and, again, everyone is just copying Motorola, with those newfangled cellular phone thingies...

Sent from my Motorola XT860 using Tapatalk
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT Turbo | 2008 Saturn Astra XE 5dr
      I want a GMC Canyon up there ^^^ ASAP!
       Posted via MacBook Pro or Mac Mini, running OS X Mavericks  HP Envy 13 or Mini Note 2140, powered by ​

24. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      08-31-2011 03:21 AM #2124
      Motorola has patents on the things they invented. Everyone licenses from them. That was the way of it, until the iPhone clones came along: either companies licensed from each other in good faith, or they agreed upon cross-licensing agreements. Now, what do we have? Apple made devices with touchscreen keyboards, multitouch screens, proximity/ambient-light sensors and accelerometers built in for specific combined purposes, and two years later everyone's selling "it's like iPhone, but it's got these other things."

The thing is, Apple isn't suing anyone for making black rectangular smartphones. I was just pointing out that it's folly to even try to dispute what I said earlier: "If you think Samsung and all the rest aren't capitalizing on similarity to the iPhone and iPad, I want some of what you're smoking."

Truly?

Apple aren't suing over the fact that people are making me-too devices. They're suing over how badly they've been ripped off.

Last edited by punkassjim; 08-31-2011 at 03:38 AM.
      My car
      and its identity crisis

25. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      08-31-2011 11:49 AM #2125
      Most big firms such as MS, Apple, Nokia, and even some small players like HTC had patents to thwart patent trolls and generally held them and cross license them within the other players.

Since Android came about, the new players coming into the scene have no in good faith to license the tech or have enough patents of their own to shield against real patent trolls.

It's so funny that people are labeling Apple a patent troll when they have not been actively suing in the past.

I do think Apple should change their strategy a bit to adopt a licensing scheme like Microsoft has.

Right now they are on a war path and I think Steve Jobs has a personal vendetta for squashing Android competition.

Android is very weak against patent trolls right now because Google has not acquire enough patents. Buying Motorola imo is the wrong move for $12bn, they could've easily use that buy other patent holding firms for less. Motorola's patents are not very good against Apple, since Apple is using all licensed components. Very little chance Google can leverage Motorola's patents to mitigate against Apple.

Google need to get atleast $24bn ready for Oracle, that's the number analysts have on the Java suit.

I believe in the end Apple will settle with most of their Android device makers for a fee and an agreement.

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      08-31-2011 12:09 PM #2126
      So if Apple introduces widgets on their home screens in a future version of IOS Google should sue them right?

Isn't IOS 5 getting a pull down drawer with notifications like the Android devices? Apple better get their lawyers ready.
      Last edited by DarkSideGTI; 08-31-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Vehicles
      2009 Wrong Wheel Drive Crapalier
      08-31-2011 12:23 PM #2127
      If you guys think other companies haven't taken styling cues from Apple, you are just plain wrong.
      F1
      RED BULL Racing Formula One
      Final Gear

"Here's a couple things America got right; cars and freedom"

28. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      08-31-2011 12:30 PM #2128
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkSideGTI View Post
      So if Apple introduces widgets on their home screens in a future version of IOS Google should sue them right?

Isn't IOS 5 getting a pull down drawer with notifications like the Android devices? Apple better get their lawyers ready.
      You and other geeks don't understand how the system works. It's not about who's first.

It's who wins the patent filing. Which is why, if you invented something don't put it out until you have atleast a patent filed. Otherwise, it's game for anyone when you release something and didn't patent the idea.

The minute copy cats come out with a similar product you can't do anything about it until you have the patent granted.

Typically Apple patents are filed before the launch of their products so that:

- Shield from patent trolls
      - Sue or intimidate copy cats.

It didn't matter that Apple had the familiar iPod scroll wheel and navigation, Creative Labs had the patent filed before them and Apple ended up paying something like $300mil for the licensing.

The problem I have with the Android community is they spew a lot of FUD and misinformation. They follow Google's mentality which is release first and call out others who sue them for being "UN-innovative."

There's nothing innovative in Android, it's a Frankenstein OS. If they want to succeed in world commerce they need to conduct proper business practices.
      Last edited by Vision33r; 08-31-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      08-31-2011 12:51 PM #2129
      Quote Originally Posted by Ben.Reilly View Post
      If you guys think other companies haven't taken styling cues from Apple, you are just plain wrong.
      I'm just saying the door swings both ways.

30. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      08-31-2011 02:27 PM #2130
      If it violates a patent that Google has, or outright copies their software implementation in a way that their open-source license doesn't allow, then yes, they could sue. This isn't a double-standard, and the door DOES swing both ways. But if Google HASN'T patented a thing, and their open-source licensing DOES permit copying, then I'm sorry to say that no, Google would have no recourse.

It would be incredibly funny to me if someone in the iOS jailbreak community (which had pulldown notifications before the first google phone ever shipped) had applied for a patent on the pulldown notifications thing before either Google OR Apple had implemented it. Entirely possible, but not very likely. Most of those dudes are freetards, and don't believe in staking their claim.
      My car
      and its identity crisis

08-31-2011 04:01 PM #2131
      It would be incredibly funny to me if someone in the iOS jailbreak community (which had pulldown notifications before the first google phone ever shipped) had applied for a patent on the pulldown notifications thing before either Google OR Apple had implemented it. Entirely possible, but not very likely. Most of those dudes are freetards, and don't believe in staking their claim.
      I highly doubt a patent on a technology created for a jailbroken iPhone would be enforceable.

FYI, you really either like hearing yourself talk or are an Apple newb. Apple has been stealing patented technology for years (Nokia Wireless technology as a recent example, anyone?) Why you keep acting like Apple is innocent in all of this is beyond me. They're just as dirty (and sometimes dirtier... doctored photos for their Euro-trials? Oh, I'm sure that was an accident). The only thing Apple's lawsuit against Samsung does is tell the general public that they're scared of Samsung.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

Vehicles
      97 M3 sedan
      09-01-2011 12:13 PM #2132
      Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot™ View Post

I'm waiting for this to come out to use at the pool or beach...

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/iDM71B/

09-01-2011 12:45 PM #2133
      Quote Originally Posted by sonicGLI View Post
      I highly doubt a patent on a technology created for a jailbroken iPhone would be enforceable.
      A patent is a patent, it doesn't matter if it was on an app that requires a jailbreak or not. That being said, I don't think many developers of that ilk patent much.

09-01-2011 01:08 PM #2134
      Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
      A patent is a patent, it doesn't matter if it was on an app that requires a jailbreak or not.
      Maybe I'll search around later, but I was going off a story I had read many years ago about someone applying for a patent (which they actually received, IIRC) but the technology was created on a device that they did not have "permission" to use to "host" and develop the technology (which is exactly the same as Apple's licensing agreement). I may be thinking of Microsoft and WinMo and some developer creating an app without a proper license agreement, seems to ring a bell. At any rate, the patent didn't hold up in court when they tried to enforce it; the defense supplied evidence that the patent holders did not have authority to develop their technology on whatever platform it was and won. But again, I can't remember any of the details and it could be way different than the iPhone example. I was just stating that I, personally, doubt there would be any jailbroken patents that would hold up in a court of law. I could certainly be wrong.

That being said, I don't think many developers of that ilk patent much.
      I'd be curious.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

35. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      09-01-2011 03:58 PM #2135
      If you look at all the patent trolls out on a shopping spree lately like Lodsys. They don't have a single product or design used and they are busy suing and signing licensing deals.

A patent is enforceable regardless of platform. Just make sure you hire a good IP lawyer to negotiate or fight.

Page 61 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast