Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY - OEM Dash Cubby Installation (MkVI GTi)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      MkVI GTI / BMW R1200GSA
      01-27-2010 10:33 PM #1
      Unofficial disclaimer: First, this is a long write-up. Second, I do not condone any interior modifications that may put you at a greater risk of injury. This DIY involves removing several braces from the low dash that may keep your knees from entering the dash if you are dumb enough not to wear a seatbelt. If you take these parts out and have a frontal impact you may very well end up with your knees in the dash and likely be killed from the subsequent infection that will develop from the cuts. Lastly, I do not believe that you should do any work at all on your VW. Any work should be done by a VW dealership and a certified VW tech.

I wanted a little more storage space in my GTi and it turns out that our Passat Wagon has one of those nifty dash cubbies under the headlight switch. I thought it was the bee's knees so I decided to install one in the GTi. Got the parts from ECS without issue and quickly. It is not a terribly complicated job but it does demand a patient approach; there are many small clips and fancy materials that would like pretty bad with scratches.

There was already a very nice DIY for the MkV done by 'scotaku' back in 2006 (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2539128) and then several others since that can be referenced in the MkV forum. Rather than reinvent the wheel here, I am just going to post an overview of the process with pictures of the more hairy parts and discuss a few differences between the MkV and MkVI install.

The objective:
      Remove the left lower dash trim on the driver’s side (LHD car) and replace it with a dash trim piece containing the ‘cubby’. I found it helpful to have a friend for a couple extra eyes and smaller hands, but you could hammer this out solo without a problem.

Parts needed:
      1. Dash Cubby (PN-5K1857919D)
      2. Optional – adhesive felt to line cubby
      3. Masking tape
      4. Good flashlight(s)
      5. T-20 and T-30 driver / socket

6. Ratchet with at least a 6” extension 

7. Regular screwdriver
(at least 8” total length)
      8. 10mm ratcheting box wrench

Step 1. Prepare and inspect the parts:

Here are the two components that come with PN 5K1857919D:

I choose to line my cubby with adhesive-backed black felt so that I would not have any rattles or jingles from whatever the contents. This was quick work with some white paper for templates and an exacto knife for trimming.

Step 2. Remove dash panel:
      Compare the new panel to the old one that is in place. It becomes clear that the mounting points on the new trim panel are different, but exactly the same as the MkV. There are 4 T-20 screws and 3 clips holding the dash panel in place. The clips are in the fuse-box recess on the left side.

First remove the HL switch and the T-20 screw in the HL switch recess:

Then along the bottom of the panel there are 2 T-20 screws in addition to the footwell light bracket with one T-20:

Once these are out you need to remove the fuse panel door, which is the flat panel shown below. Insert a small tip into the recess cut into the panel and work it all around the perimeter until to pops off. Here is the panel:

With the panel off you will see 3-4 clips that are holding the panel on; remove these and save for later. The last screw is a difficult one to get at and requires that you remove the center portion of the gauge cluster. I found this part very unnerving. To get a look at the screw, drop the steering wheel and pull it all of the way out. Then grasp the vinyl connected to the center of the gauge cluster and the top of the steering wheel and pull it over a bit to peak behind it. You should see a T-20 sitting there. To get a better sight on it we actually removed the black/chrome insert on the top of the dash panel. To do this, there is a long tab on the left of the black/chrome trim piece. Use a pick and push the tab through the slot and the edge of the piece will be free. The other attachment point is a metal clip that can be pulled straight out. With the dress-up piece off, you can see the screw pretty well:

However, to get this last screw out you must take out the center of the gauge cluster – no way around it. So, take a nice sip of beer and grasp one side of the cluster. Pull firmly straight out. There are 2 metal clips on each side that fasten it in place. This takes some balls but trust me that it will come out before breaking in half. Here is one side of the cluster after it was pulled off:

Here is a photo of the center of the cluster after it has been removed showing the 2 midline clips:

Now you have just enough room to get that T-20 out. Protect your gauge bezel with some mask and remove with a T-20 driver:

Once you drop the panel you will have to disconnect the interior light rheostat:

Step 3. Remove structural brackets:
      This is the difficult part of this install because one of the brackets has a bolt that is rather difficult to get at. Another issue is if it is a good idea to take out metal brackets from your dash? You can read about this ad nauseam in some of the MkV threads but the bottom line is that there are 3 brackets that are present on cars without the cubby. Interestingly, these are supposedly for preventing your knees from going into the dash, yet there is no replacement for them on cars that come from the factory with the cubby. Once the dash panel is off the brackets are very obvious as they are the only ones in the area.
      There are 3 brackets to take out and one of them is very, very unpleasant to get at. These brackets are identical to those shown in the other DIYs for the MkVs. Here they are (removed):

The silver bracket spans under the steering wheel and is most difficult to remove without taking off the right lower dash trim (which I didn’t do). We used the 10 mm ratchet to sneak up under there and remove the bolt. It was a long, slow, arduous process but it eventually comes out. I also pulled off the clip so that it wouldn’t rattle in the future. Here is a shot of the wrench up under the lower right dash trim and actually turning the bolt:

The other two brackets are very easy to remove as their bolts are clearly exposed. Here is the largest bracket that covers some relays under the dash. They can be removed with a T-20 or a 10 mm ratchet. You can see it top dead center:

Finally here is the small “L” shaped bracket that crosses into the area of the fuse box:

Step 4. Install new dash trim and cubby door:
      Once these brackets are removed, the lower dash piece can be installed, and the cubby door clipped on and closed. The new mounting points for the dash piece are clear and already had clips on them. Installing the parts is a snap after those brackets are out. When you are done, you have some extra space in a convenient location.

Cheers!

Modified by JTwGTI at 10:36 PM 1-27-2010

2. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      01-27-2010 10:34 PM #2
      nice! great job on the DIY's

Vehicles
      VAG 2.0T
      01-27-2010 10:36 PM #3
      Would LOVE to put my garage door opener in there, but this DIY looks a little intimidating.
      Stage II+ Mk6 GTI

4. Member
      Vehicles
      MkVI GTI / BMW R1200GSA
      01-27-2010 10:40 PM #4
      ^
      The pictures always make it look more scary than it really it is. Honest! Pulling off the gauge cluster is the only part that evokes fear and anxiety. The brackets just p*ss you off.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI, 2001 M Coupe, 2009 Targa 4
      01-27-2010 11:43 PM #5
      The euro cars have knee bags anyway. Looks good

6. 01-27-2010 11:51 PM #6
      Nice DIY. I saw that dash cubby on OEMPlus and wanted to do it...but I got to say that it does look intimidating...

2010 GTI 4-Door / DSG / Autobahn / Nav / OEM Rear-View Camera / OEM LED Taillights / OEM Front-Lip Spoiler

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI / 2001 Audi TT Roadster (225) / 1982 Jetta Diesel
      01-28-2010 01:06 AM #7
      I love your disclaimers.

I'll need this someday ... I think this is going on my mod list.

DRIVE: 2010 Golf TDI - 5K129L. 5R5R. 3FE, W79, 9W2, P83, 9VE, P71.
      DRIVE (less): 2001 TT Roadster
      PARK: 1982 Jetta Diesel

maxhedrm.montebellopark.com/blog

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      01-28-2010 02:28 AM #8
      JTwGTI, you ROCK!!!

Another sticky here - WINNAR!

PS: This good for Golf too, right?

Modified by RogueTDI at 11:29 PM 1-27-2010

Vehicles
      2012 VW turbo Beetle
      01-28-2010 02:38 AM #9
      awesome write up!
      now I want to do it...
      Gino Lomeli

estudioG design + interiors
      http://estudiog.wordpress.com/

10. Member
      Vehicles
      MkVI GTI / BMW R1200GSA
      01-28-2010 07:54 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by RogueTDI »

PS: This good for Golf too, right?

It should be. From what I can tell the PN for all of the golf lower dash pieces is the same, so it should be a good fit.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      MkVI GTI / BMW R1200GSA
      01-28-2010 07:19 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by RIP-335 »

now I want to do it...

Go for it. That little extra space has proven to be really convenient, plus if you have a normal sized head, you'll finally have a place to put your shades.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      01-29-2010 12:38 AM #12
      1) What's wrong with built-in shade holder in the headliner?

2) Wonder how knee protection in crash is affected...

Not dissin' - I love this and will probably do it.

13. 01-29-2010 01:07 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by absoluteczech »
      nice! great job on the DIY's

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      08-12-2010 08:04 PM #14
      Bump for new owners!
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

Vehicles
      2015 GTI - PW SE, manual
      08-13-2010 06:45 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by RogueTDI View Post
      Yours actually fit? Mine don't even come close to fitting comfortably. I can jam the thing shut with my sunglasses awkwardly inside there, but I don't think it would open back up. My fiancee's fit there just fine though.
      Current:
      2015 GTI SE - PW, manual, 5 door

Past: 2013 Subaru BRZ | 2010 VW Golf TDI | 2006 Pontiac GTO

16. 08-21-2010 09:11 PM #16
      This is my first post here and I really do appreciate this write up...
      thanks JTwGTI !! and thanks for the links to previous write-ups.

My sister-in-law came over and said she needed help putting in this dash mod and ECS Tuning where she bought it told her it would just snap in place....no worries right? No instructions included.

I got everything apart but couldn't figure out how to get the headlight switch out. Push and turn right...how simple, but I would have never figured that one out.

One thing different is I pulled the gauges to get at the top screw...it would have been easier if I knew I could lower the steering column. Since it isn't my car, I didn't know until I saw the lever later in the dismantling process.

It went in great and I have to kid my sis-in-law because it wasn't as big as she thought it would be.

Thanks again for the write-up and the links

Vehicles
      '10 GTI CW 2 dr stick
      08-22-2010 12:53 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by RogueTDI View Post

2) Wonder how knee protection in crash is affected...

Not dissin' - I love this and will probably do it.

My regular eyeglasses will fit in barely. A pair of Oakleys? Not going to happen - major FAIL for VW. Go copy Honda on this one - my old Accord and wife's current TSX has a much better setup. I'd love to install the cubbie - will think about it and maybe try it after the dieselgeek install. That is, of course, after I get my GTI back from the dealer where she's patiently waiting for a water pump. Which apparently must be on a slow boat from China................

Vehicles
      1971 Super Beetle, 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2014 Golf TDI Manual
      08-22-2010 01:08 AM #18
      I have no problems fitting my Oakleys in the sunglasses holder

19. 03-08-2011 09:44 PM #19
      So, take a nice sip of beer and grasp one side of the cluster. Pull firmly straight out. There are 2 metal clips on each side that fasten it in place. This takes some balls but trust me that it will come out before breaking in half.
      I pulled mine out today. It was really in there for good.
      So I grabbed it and pulled for the 15th time, and really-really pulled it, and it finally popped out. AND it broke both of the gauge aluminum trim rings on my 2010 JSW.

Called the dealer and was informed that the trim rings can only be ordered with the entire cluster plastics for a cool $500

And the worst part is that the last screw that was covered by the trim cover is angled differently and I wasn't able to get to it, so no mod done...
      Until I get the time to go back in and remove the instrument cluster...

If anyone knows a better way to get to this screw, please let me know.
      I was thinking that it may be able to pop out the screw with its corresponding threaded insert piece, but not sure.

20. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI, 2011 Jetta
      03-22-2011 06:06 PM #20
      Does the beer come with it???? haha I think i'm gonna order one!!! Thanks for the tips!!

21. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      See List in Sig
      05-15-2011 09:49 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIJet View Post
      Does the beer come with it?
      I was going to ask, do I have to drink that kind of beer when I'm inspecting the parts? I'd rather drink a Yuengling Black and Tan. Thanks for the tips, this is on the mod list.
      11 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Platinum Metallic)
      05 Mustang GT Vert (Black)
      95 Honda Del Sol SI (Paradise Green)
      88 Camaro IROC (383) (Black)
      85 Mercedes Benz 300D (Silver) 84 Mercedes Benz 300D (Blue)

22. 07-03-2011 08:08 AM #22
      Just completed this on my EOS thanks to your write up and photos. I have to say, had I known what a pain that 1 bolt would turn out to be for that support bracket, I would probably have avoided this, but once I was at that stage I figured there is no sense in turning back. I'm not sure if it was just me, but I removed the 2 lower screws and the 1 upper screw as well as the trim panel running along the side of the console and I still couldn't get the panel to pull out as far as you did in your picture so getting to that bolt was way harder for me.

Regardless I thank you again and I absolutely love my new dash cubby. I also did the underseat drawer on the passenger side.

23. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      15 GTI Autobahn / 13 Golf R / 04 R32 / 02 337
      07-03-2011 09:42 AM #23
      1985 Golf - 1991 Jetta GL - 1997 Jetta Trek - 1999 Jetta Wolfsburg - 2002 GTI 337 - 2004 R32 - 2004 R32 - 2010 GTI Autobahn - 2012 Golf R - 2013 Tiguan SEL - 2013 Golf R - 2015 GTI Autobahn - 2015 .........

24. 07-16-2011 06:43 PM #24
      Just got done doing this. **** that last bracket. What a pita.

Did you guys put a screw in by the top where the cubby closes? Did I lose a screw? Had two for the top, and two for the bottom. If I didn't lose a screw should I get another one to put in that empty spot? Any clue what size I would need?

Vehicles
      2011 CSG GTI 6MT
      07-16-2011 07:12 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by HalvieCuw View Post
      Just got done doing this. **** that last bracket. What a pita.

Did you guys put a screw in by the top where the cubby closes? Did I lose a screw? Had two for the top, and two for the bottom. If I didn't lose a screw should I get another one to put in that empty spot? Any clue what size I would need?
      Haha, that bracket did suck. I also ended up with the same number of screws as you, two in the bottom and two on top. Not sure what size screw to use for the one missing hole, might try to find one but I don't think it's too major if not.

Vehicles
      07-16-2011 09:36 PM #26
      That's odd I think I only used 3 screws in my install.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-cubby-install

Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI
      01-06-2012 09:14 PM #27
      bumping for great thread, just did this to my mkv and i didn't have to remove my cluster! took like 30 min

28. Member
      01-06-2012 11:25 PM #28
      Nice write up.
      I can't believe the cubby was not already lined...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      01-15-2012 05:25 PM #29
      bump i will be doing this

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI
      01-15-2012 09:27 PM #30
      Where would be good places to look for some of that adhesive backed felt? Could be good for other projects too.

Adam

Vehicles
      01-15-2012 09:51 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Bursell View Post
      Where would be good places to look for some of that adhesive backed felt? Could be good for other projects too.

Adam
      I bought some from Michael's, $0.99 per sheet

32. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      01-15-2012 09:56 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by 71sbeetle View Post
      fancy guy with his felt lined cubby.
      1985 Golf - 1991 Jetta GL - 1997 Jetta Trek - 1999 Jetta Wolfsburg - 2002 GTI 337 - 2004 R32 - 2004 R32 - 2010 GTI Autobahn - 2012 Golf R - 2013 Tiguan SEL - 2013 Golf R - 2015 GTI Autobahn - 2015 .........

Vehicles
      01-15-2012 10:16 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnyR32 View Post
      fancy guy with his felt lined cubby.
      Mine's not lined, I bought the felt to line lens hoods to reduce glare/reflections But I could use it for that I have plenty left !

34. Geriatric Member
      Vehicles
      01-15-2012 10:20 PM #34
      Mine's not lined, I bought the felt to line lens hoods to reduce glare/reflections But I could use it for that I have plenty left !
      oh. you're still fancy bro.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI
      01-16-2012 12:12 AM #35
      Thanks.

Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast