Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: P0340 on a 12v vr6

1. 01-28-2010 02:02 AM #1
      I just changed the upper timing chain guide on my 12v vr6. after almost was all said and done the rear cam shaft sprocket slipped just a tooth (i think) as my brother put his weight on it. Instead of taking off the tranny and all that I unbolted the cam shaft and put it back on the correct timing. I then manually turned the motor over 3 times and brought it back to tdc. All the timing marks lined up and I finished up the job. I then drove the car daily for two weeks, and now it is throwing the P0340 code on an obd2 scanner which is the code for a misfire and timing/blah blah..I cleared the code but it comes back.. the motor sounds good idles and runs smooth all the way to top end.. no noise or performance loss...Id think if the cam was off ud be able to hear choking or some noise...anyone have any input?

Vehicles
      broken 97 jetta glx
      01-28-2010 02:23 AM #2
      yeah, its always gonna be on. if there is no noise or performance problems with the car, and you keep erasing the code but comes back up that means the gods are trying to tell you to leave it alone. the CEL is always on, when it goes off you will probably have something to worry about.
      VW DUBPOUND
      socal
      Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
      LOL how can i say this without you taking it the wrong way? a picture of a retard with a plastic lid used as a fake steering wheel driving a pretend car 28 years ago in the USSR ??? PUT IT IN THE CAR LOUNGE !

3. 01-28-2010 04:30 AM #3
      lol forsure....do u think if I vag com'd it...it would tell me anymore info?also i forgot to mention i replaced the camshaft position sensor before she went under the knife for the guide replacement

4. 01-28-2010 12:16 PM #4
      Bump

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      01-28-2010 12:37 PM #5
      you are 1/2 a tooth off, and the ONLY way to resolve this timing correlation error is to open the timing cover, and reset the chains so that the cam, intermediate shaft, and crank are all timed correctly. in fact, it sucked, because I gained 1 psi boost with this timing.

bummer, but should only take a couple of hours....ask me how I know.

good luck

Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

6. 01-28-2010 04:00 PM #6
      Damn that's wack...u think I could just adjust the cam sprocket by undoing it like I did before? Or u think I have to pull the tranny n drop the motor and take off all upper n lower covers etc., I'm still working on my driveway and use this as my daily so I really don't want it down for too long...also, for urs was there any mark on the chain and tooth that could easily be lined up? Thankss for the help

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      01-28-2010 05:14 PM #7
      pull the coil pack and intakeand valve cover, then remove the upper timing cover and set the crank and intermediate shaft to the proper location(s), reset the cams correctly and close it up....IF and I say IF you have worn chain guides and or a stretched chain this will NOT help.

in the FAQ's is a link to a DIY with pics on replacing the chains and timing the motor.

Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      2002 Z28
      01-28-2010 05:15 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by 79dubman »
      yeah, its always gonna be on. if there is no noise or performance problems with the car, and you keep erasing the code but comes back up that means the gods are trying to tell you to leave it alone. the CEL is always on, when it goes off you will probably have something to worry about.

No CEL on my car. If the CEL is on you fix the problem.

9. 01-28-2010 09:03 PM #9
      agreed i just really dont wanna pull the tranny n drop the motor just for half a tooth...u think i could just do like i did before and adjust the cam thats off just by unbolting it and rotating the sprocket? also, is there any mark on the sprocket that would line up with a mark on the chain at tdc?

10. 05-16-2014 12:48 PM #10
      Just replaced my timing chains yesterday and the check engine came back on this morning. The car runs so much better and sounds better with the new chains but is giving me p0340 again. Is there a tutorial or set of instructions on how to get everything back to perfect timing? Do I have to take out the motor and trans again ?