Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
    Results 451 to 475 of 564

    Thread: Obscure rebadged cars

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      785
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 05 R53, 81 W123, 05 Tourneo Connect
      05-03-2012 07:16 PM #451
      Very rare: Pirin-FIAT 124

      Built in Bulgaria for 5 years, with less than 900 total built:





      They also built FIAT 850 sedan and coupe




    2. Member partario's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2012
      Location
      Estonia
      Posts
      502
      05-04-2012 01:04 AM #452
      Daewoo Royale:


      ...which is simply a rebadged Opel Senator


      They even made a rather American-styled upscale version of it called Imperial:

    3. Senior Member PerL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2001
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      21,947
      Vehicles
      87 Audi quattro, 98 Golf MK4 TDI, 01 Ford Mondeo
      05-04-2012 10:36 AM #453
      Quote Originally Posted by partario View Post
      Daewoo Royale:
      The license plate says Prince

    4. Member Rabbit5GTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2006
      Location
      Near McBanagon
      Posts
      16,094
      Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2014 Mazda 6, 2015 Chevy SS
      05-04-2012 10:40 AM #454
      Quote Originally Posted by PerL View Post
      The license plate says Prince
      And it says Royale right above that. Prince is a trim level.

    5. Member VR6GURU's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2002
      Location
      City of Angels CA
      Posts
      3,832
      Vehicles
      00 Jaguar XJR, 14 Mazda 6, 08 Honda Element SC
      05-04-2012 01:09 PM #455
      Hyundai Excel



      Mitsubishi Precis


    6. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      785
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 05 R53, 81 W123, 05 Tourneo Connect
      05-04-2012 01:19 PM #456
      GAZ M20 Pobeda



      FSO Warszawa


    7. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      785
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 05 R53, 81 W123, 05 Tourneo Connect
      05-04-2012 01:35 PM #457
      Lancia / Autobianchi Y10
      One of the first attempts at building luxury mini. It was based of the
      first Panda. The last car to carry the Autobianchi badge:










    8. Member Biff Beltsander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
      Posts
      3,900
      Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      05-04-2012 01:51 PM #458
      Quote Originally Posted by partario View Post
      They even made a rather American-styled upscale version of it called Imperial:
      Had that been imported to North America it could of easily of stolen sales from the late 80's early 90's New Yorker and Lesabre.


      Very last of the landau tops American luxury car styling.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

    9. 05-04-2012 02:28 PM #459
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      Just found this out:


      Seems like it was written by someone using an online translator. I do have confirmation they shared engines but I am curious how related the bodies were. They look sort of similar.

      I've been following T4s for over a decade and am on my 2nd one and nobody has ever commented on this. I am willing to bet these are not related.

      For example, the T4 has a floor that is fairly distinctive in that the fuel tank is under the front seats and the floor in the cab is therefore raised a few inches relative to the rear cabin and the fuel filler is behind the driver's door. In the V-class/Vito the fuel filler is much farther back (and I bet the fuel tank is farther back as well). If they have significantly different floors, I think it's safe to say they're not related.

      It is true that the V was available with VW's 2.8 VR6 too but it wasn't even the same one (in terms of the state of tune) as in the T4. The V got the 172hp version, the T4 got the 140hp version.

    10. 05-04-2012 02:31 PM #460
      Quote Originally Posted by PerL View Post
      Another obscurity, a GM-gone-Mazda. A Holden Premier which was turned into the Mazda Roadpacer, complete with a 13B roatry engine. Apparently, it was a real turd. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an American car to begin with.

      Holden design and not American, but yes it doesn't look too far from a Chevrolet Impala of the same era.

    11. Senior Member PerL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2001
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      21,947
      Vehicles
      87 Audi quattro, 98 Golf MK4 TDI, 01 Ford Mondeo
      05-04-2012 03:40 PM #461
      The Morris Mini was made under several different names.

      Morris Mini-Minor (the original name)
      Morris Mascot (Denmark Only)
      Austin Mini
      Austin Seven
      Austin Partner (Denmark only)
      Riley Elf
      Wolseley Hornet
      Innocenti Mini (Lisenced production in Italy)

      The Italian version, the Innocenti Mini was even rebodied for 1975, still keeping the original chassis of the Morris Mini. It received Daihatsu engines in the early 80s. A DeTomaso performance version of the Innocenti was even sold in Canada in the mid 80s.

      1972 Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300


    12. Member K.Lagan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 12th, 2011
      Location
      France / Belgium
      Posts
      845
      Vehicles
      2007 Volvo C30 1.6d
      05-04-2012 04:07 PM #462
      Quote Originally Posted by PerL View Post
      The Morris Mini was made under several different names.

      Morris Mini-Minor (the original name)
      Morris Mascot (Denmark Only)
      Austin Mini
      Austin Seven
      Austin Partner (Denmark only)
      Riley Elf
      Wolseley Hornet
      Innocenti Mini (Lisenced production in Italy)

      The Italian version, the Innocenti Mini was even rebodied for 1975, still keeping the original chassis of the Morris Mini. It received Daihatsu engines in the early 80s. A DeTomaso performance version of the Innocenti was even sold in Canada in the mid 80s.

      1972 Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300
      Wow, thanks for that post! I've never ever heard of the Riley Elf/Wolseley Hornet:




    13. 05-04-2012 04:16 PM #463
      Quote Originally Posted by Nitzer View Post
      At least it was probably better then this clould car badged as a Chrylser Cirrus that had a somewhat Dodge grille for the euro market.
      Dodge wasn't a brand recognized in Europe like Chrysler but the Dodge versions of these cars were the more sport and European looking ones (or at least were less American looking). They did the same thing with the Chrysler Voyager and Chrysler Saratoga (which looked more like their Dodge counterparts but badged as Chryslers for Europe).





      The Eagle Vision (Eagle not being a brand recognized outside of North America) also was sold as the Chrysler Vision overseas, most likely as it was more "Euro" already than any of its NA siblings with its EU-friendly amber rear signals.


    14. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      785
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 05 R53, 81 W123, 05 Tourneo Connect
      05-04-2012 04:21 PM #464
      Mercedes MB100 = Ssangyong Istana





      The Mercedes is the original, despite it's Asian look.

      This is the old version, built in Spain before the V-class/Vitto:



      which comes out of this DKW Scnelllaster/van



      They are all FWD.

    15. 05-04-2012 04:23 PM #465
      Quote Originally Posted by partario View Post
      Daewoo Royale:


      ...which is simply a rebadged Opel Senator


      They even made a rather American-styled upscale version of it called Imperial:
      Wow those things even have USA/Canada style side marker lamps and what appears to be larger bumpers. Were they thinking of exporting these to the US or Canada and pulled the plug at the last minute?

    16. Senior Member PerL's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2001
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      21,947
      Vehicles
      87 Audi quattro, 98 Golf MK4 TDI, 01 Ford Mondeo
      05-04-2012 04:38 PM #466
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Were they thinking of exporting these to the US or Canada and pulled the plug at the last minute?
      Not at all impossible that GM was considering them for North America, to join the Opel Kadett/ Daewoo Racer/ Pontiac LeMans.

    17. 05-04-2012 04:48 PM #467
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      THat was at least badged a Dodge, built by Mitsu. This one say "by Dodge", yet Dodge had no hand in it at all what does either company get out of the deal?
      At least in the '80s, the Dodge/Plymouth Colt were not badged as a Dodge or Plymouth; the grille simply said "Colt" on it, with no brand name.
      __________

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      785
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 05 R53, 81 W123, 05 Tourneo Connect
      05-04-2012 04:49 PM #468
      NSU - FIAT Neckar , mostly rebadged, with a mix of Autobianchi and SEAT thrown in it:












    19. 05-04-2012 04:54 PM #469
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Wow those things even have USA/Canada style side marker lamps and what appears to be larger bumpers. Were they thinking of exporting these to the US or Canada and pulled the plug at the last minute?
      Hyundai did a similar thing with the Stellar CXL -- which was the Canadian Export version sold in Korea as a special trim package, complete with sealed-beam headlamps and larger bumpers:

      __________

    20. Member Biff Beltsander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
      Posts
      3,900
      Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      05-04-2012 04:56 PM #470
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Dodge wasn't a brand recognized in Europe like Chrysler but the Dodge versions of these cars were the more sport and European looking ones (or at least were less American looking). They did the same thing with the Chrysler Voyager and Chrysler Saratoga (which looked more like their Dodge counterparts but badged as Chryslers for Europe).
      I was on Ebaymotors, the UK location and I was amazed at all the Caravans, even back to the old woodgrain first gens. This was only a few years ago.
      I am pretty sure that some Euro markets got the Vision branded as an Eagle, I'm not totally sure though.
      Some Chryslers were rebranded as Talbots, like the Omni.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

    21. 05-04-2012 04:59 PM #471
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      I've been following T4s for over a decade and am on my 2nd one and nobody has ever commented on this. I am willing to bet these are not related.

      For example, the T4 has a floor that is fairly distinctive in that the fuel tank is under the front seats and the floor in the cab is therefore raised a few inches relative to the rear cabin and the fuel filler is behind the driver's door. In the V-class/Vito the fuel filler is much farther back (and I bet the fuel tank is farther back as well). If they have significantly different floors, I think it's safe to say they're not related.
      I am betting the T4 VW and W638 Benz are not the same bodies as that wiki article states.

      W638 Benz:


      T4 VW (front cabin step is very visible in the 2nd pic):



      Totally different floor structure (VW's is raised for the front seats). Don't see how something like that would be different if the Benz used a VW T4 body.

    22. Member Biff Beltsander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
      Posts
      3,900
      Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      05-04-2012 04:59 PM #472
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      Hyundai did a similar thing with the Stellar CXL -- which was the Canadian Export version sold in Korea as a special trim package, complete with sealed-beam headlamps and larger bumpers:
      The Stellar did not do badly in the Canadian market.
      Last one I saw running was a few years ago.
      Hyundai used the Canadian market as a place to test the waters for mass North American distribution and we got the Pony as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

    23. Member mobile363's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2003
      Posts
      6,513
      Vehicles
      2012 Kia Rio5 6MT, 2012 Dodge Caravan
      05-04-2012 05:00 PM #473
      Sorry if posted. All i got right now

      Lancia Grand Voyager


    24. Member Biff Beltsander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2010
      Location
      Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
      Posts
      3,900
      Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      05-04-2012 05:06 PM #474
      Quote Originally Posted by mobile363 View Post
      Sorry if posted. All i got right now

      Lancia Grand Voyager
      Lancia badged Chrysler's which have been posted a few times in the thread like the Grand Voyager, Thema, and even the Fiat Freemont will likely be obscure rebadges or at least some of them in a few years yet I'm not sure if they belong here. They are all in current production and being offered under their respective badges in Italy and their home market. Their success or obscurity is yet to be determined.

      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      785
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 05 R53, 81 W123, 05 Tourneo Connect
      05-04-2012 05:10 PM #475
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      I am betting the T4 VW and W638 Benz are not the same bodies as that wiki article states.

      W638 Benz:


      T4 VW (front cabin step is very visible in the 2nd pic):



      Totally different floor structure (VW's is raised for the front seats). Don't see how something like that would be different if the Benz used a VW T4 body.
      I agree, they are not on the same platform. It is a Benz own platform. People maybe confuse them with the Sprinter/LT

    Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •