05-04-2012 02:35 PM #457
      Lancia / Autobianchi Y10
      One of the first attempts at building luxury mini. It was based of the
      first Panda. The last car to carry the Autobianchi badge:

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      05-04-2012 02:51 PM #458
      Quote Originally Posted by partario View Post
      They even made a rather American-styled upscale version of it called Imperial:
      Had that been imported to North America it could of easily of stolen sales from the late 80's early 90's New Yorker and Lesabre.

Very last of the landau tops American luxury car styling.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

4. 05-04-2012 03:28 PM #459
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      Just found this out:

Seems like it was written by someone using an online translator. I do have confirmation they shared engines but I am curious how related the bodies were. They look sort of similar.

I've been following T4s for over a decade and am on my 2nd one and nobody has ever commented on this. I am willing to bet these are not related.

For example, the T4 has a floor that is fairly distinctive in that the fuel tank is under the front seats and the floor in the cab is therefore raised a few inches relative to the rear cabin and the fuel filler is behind the driver's door. In the V-class/Vito the fuel filler is much farther back (and I bet the fuel tank is farther back as well). If they have significantly different floors, I think it's safe to say they're not related.

It is true that the V was available with VW's 2.8 VR6 too but it wasn't even the same one (in terms of the state of tune) as in the T4. The V got the 172hp version, the T4 got the 140hp version.

5. 05-04-2012 03:31 PM #460
      Quote Originally Posted by PerL View Post
      Another obscurity, a GM-gone-Mazda. A Holden Premier which was turned into the Mazda Roadpacer, complete with a 13B roatry engine. Apparently, it was a real turd. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an American car to begin with.

Holden design and not American, but yes it doesn't look too far from a Chevrolet Impala of the same era.

Vehicles
      87 Audi quattro, 94 VW Polo GT, 01 Ford Mondeo wagon
      05-04-2012 04:40 PM #461
      The Morris Mini was made under several different names.

Morris Mini-Minor (the original name)
      Morris Mascot (Denmark Only)
      Austin Mini
      Austin Seven
      Austin Partner (Denmark only)
      Riley Elf
      Wolseley Hornet
      Innocenti Mini (Lisenced production in Italy)

The Italian version, the Innocenti Mini was even rebodied for 1975, still keeping the original chassis of the Morris Mini. It received Daihatsu engines in the early 80s. A DeTomaso performance version of the Innocenti was even sold in Canada in the mid 80s.

1972 Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300

Vehicles
      2007 Volvo C30 1.6d
      05-04-2012 05:07 PM #462
      The Morris Mini was made under several different names.

Morris Mini-Minor (the original name)
      Morris Mascot (Denmark Only)
      Austin Mini
      Austin Seven
      Austin Partner (Denmark only)
      Riley Elf
      Wolseley Hornet
      Innocenti Mini (Lisenced production in Italy)

The Italian version, the Innocenti Mini was even rebodied for 1975, still keeping the original chassis of the Morris Mini. It received Daihatsu engines in the early 80s. A DeTomaso performance version of the Innocenti was even sold in Canada in the mid 80s.

1972 Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300
      Wow, thanks for that post! I've never ever heard of the Riley Elf/Wolseley Hornet:

8. 05-04-2012 05:16 PM #463
      Quote Originally Posted by Nitzer View Post
      At least it was probably better then this clould car badged as a Chrylser Cirrus that had a somewhat Dodge grille for the euro market.
      Dodge wasn't a brand recognized in Europe like Chrysler but the Dodge versions of these cars were the more sport and European looking ones (or at least were less American looking). They did the same thing with the Chrysler Voyager and Chrysler Saratoga (which looked more like their Dodge counterparts but badged as Chryslers for Europe).

The Eagle Vision (Eagle not being a brand recognized outside of North America) also was sold as the Chrysler Vision overseas, most likely as it was more "Euro" already than any of its NA siblings with its EU-friendly amber rear signals.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 05 R53, 81 W123, 03 Xterra, 05 Tourneo Connect
      05-04-2012 05:21 PM #464
      Mercedes MB100 = Ssangyong Istana

The Mercedes is the original, despite it's Asian look.

This is the old version, built in Spain before the V-class/Vitto:

which comes out of this DKW Scnelllaster/van

They are all FWD.

10. 05-04-2012 05:23 PM #465
      Quote Originally Posted by partario View Post
      Daewoo Royale:

...which is simply a rebadged Opel Senator

They even made a rather American-styled upscale version of it called Imperial:
      Wow those things even have USA/Canada style side marker lamps and what appears to be larger bumpers. Were they thinking of exporting these to the US or Canada and pulled the plug at the last minute?

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 05:38 PM #466
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Were they thinking of exporting these to the US or Canada and pulled the plug at the last minute?
      Not at all impossible that GM was considering them for North America, to join the Opel Kadett/ Daewoo Racer/ Pontiac LeMans.

12. 05-04-2012 05:48 PM #467
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      THat was at least badged a Dodge, built by Mitsu. This one say "by Dodge", yet Dodge had no hand in it at all what does either company get out of the deal?
      At least in the '80s, the Dodge/Plymouth Colt were not badged as a Dodge or Plymouth; the grille simply said "Colt" on it, with no brand name.

it's = it is
      its = possessive of "it"

13. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 05:49 PM #468
      NSU - FIAT Neckar , mostly rebadged, with a mix of Autobianchi and SEAT thrown in it:

14. 05-04-2012 05:54 PM #469
      Wow those things even have USA/Canada style side marker lamps and what appears to be larger bumpers. Were they thinking of exporting these to the US or Canada and pulled the plug at the last minute?
      Hyundai did a similar thing with the Stellar CXL -- which was the Canadian Export version sold in Korea as a special trim package, complete with sealed-beam headlamps and larger bumpers:

it's = it is
      its = possessive of "it"

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      05-04-2012 05:56 PM #470
      Dodge wasn't a brand recognized in Europe like Chrysler but the Dodge versions of these cars were the more sport and European looking ones (or at least were less American looking). They did the same thing with the Chrysler Voyager and Chrysler Saratoga (which looked more like their Dodge counterparts but badged as Chryslers for Europe).
      I was on Ebaymotors, the UK location and I was amazed at all the Caravans, even back to the old woodgrain first gens. This was only a few years ago.
      I am pretty sure that some Euro markets got the Vision branded as an Eagle, I'm not totally sure though.
      Some Chryslers were rebranded as Talbots, like the Omni.

16. 05-04-2012 05:59 PM #471
      I've been following T4s for over a decade and am on my 2nd one and nobody has ever commented on this. I am willing to bet these are not related.

For example, the T4 has a floor that is fairly distinctive in that the fuel tank is under the front seats and the floor in the cab is therefore raised a few inches relative to the rear cabin and the fuel filler is behind the driver's door. In the V-class/Vito the fuel filler is much farther back (and I bet the fuel tank is farther back as well). If they have significantly different floors, I think it's safe to say they're not related.
      I am betting the T4 VW and W638 Benz are not the same bodies as that wiki article states.

W638 Benz:

T4 VW (front cabin step is very visible in the 2nd pic):

Totally different floor structure (VW's is raised for the front seats). Don't see how something like that would be different if the Benz used a VW T4 body.

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      05-04-2012 05:59 PM #472
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      Hyundai did a similar thing with the Stellar CXL -- which was the Canadian Export version sold in Korea as a special trim package, complete with sealed-beam headlamps and larger bumpers:
      The Stellar did not do badly in the Canadian market.
      Last one I saw running was a few years ago.
      Hyundai used the Canadian market as a place to test the waters for mass North American distribution and we got the Pony as well.

Vehicles
      2012 Kia Rio5 6MT, 2012 Dodge Caravan
      05-04-2012 06:00 PM #473
      Sorry if posted. All i got right now

Lancia Grand Voyager

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      05-04-2012 06:06 PM #474
      Quote Originally Posted by mobile363 View Post
      Sorry if posted. All i got right now

Lancia Grand Voyager
      Lancia badged Chrysler's which have been posted a few times in the thread like the Grand Voyager, Thema, and even the Fiat Freemont will likely be obscure rebadges or at least some of them in a few years yet I'm not sure if they belong here. They are all in current production and being offered under their respective badges in Italy and their home market. Their success or obscurity is yet to be determined.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 06:10 PM #475
      I am betting the T4 VW and W638 Benz are not the same bodies as that wiki article states.

W638 Benz:

T4 VW (front cabin step is very visible in the 2nd pic):

Totally different floor structure (VW's is raised for the front seats). Don't see how something like that would be different if the Benz used a VW T4 body.
      I agree, they are not on the same platform. It is a Benz own platform. People maybe confuse them with the Sprinter/LT

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 06:16 PM #476
      I am pretty sure that some Euro markets got the Vision branded as an Eagle, I'm not totally sure though.
      Nope, no Eagles here, not through the official channels at least. Everything except Jeep and Viper were branded Chrysler.

Some Chryslers were rebranded as Talbots, like the Omni.
      The Omni was originally a French Talbot adopted to the North American market.

The history of Chrysler's attempt to enter the European market in the late 60s is not very well known, but the wiki article sheds some light. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Europe Things did not go well with Chrysler at this time, and brand recognition was something they hade trouble with. The fact that the cars were named Simca, later Talbot in France, and Sunbeam in UK did not help. Then they threw in the Dodge, DeSoto and Fargo names on top of commercial vehicles made by Commer and Karrier, both well known names, and the insanity was complete.

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      05-04-2012 06:21 PM #477
      Nope, no Eagles here, not through the official channels at least. Everything except Jeep and Viper were branded Chrysler.
      Viper and Caliber. Although Europe got some diesel versions that were never available in their home market.

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 06:31 PM #478
      Viper and Caliber. Although Europe got some diesel versions that were never available in their home market.
      Well, yeah, the Caliber also.

The funny thing is that it seems that Chrysler has never had any steady flow in Europe. As I said in the earlier post, CHrysler tried to get into EUrope in the late 60s/early 70s, but withdrew from Europe in 78, and sold everything to Peugeot for $1. Then they made a comeback in the early 90s with cars such as the Saratoga, Voyager and Vision, and later the Neon and Stratus, before things went quiet again. Fast forward to the late 00's and they are back again with the Caliber, this time trying the Dodge name via Jeep dealers. And now the Dodge name is dropped, and we got weird Fiats and Lancias instead.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 06:31 PM #479
      In the 90's Daewoo went to a shopping spree, and bought a bunch of East Europen factories, so they rebadged done of the cars, made in there, like the Polonez:

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      05-04-2012 06:32 PM #480
      Quote Originally Posted by manol2 View Post
      Very rare: Pirin-FIAT 124

Built in Bulgaria for 5 years, with less than 900 total built:

Those aren't Pirin-FIATs. They're US-spec Fiat 124 wagons. The green one is a pre-'74, the blue one is a '74 .
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 06:40 PM #481
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Those aren't Pirin-FIATs. They're US-spec Fiat 124 wagons. The green one is a pre-'74, the blue one is a '74 .
      I know, sorry. Pictures are hard to find. Only the first white one (the sedan) is a Pirin-Fiat. The rest are only for reference. I've only seen one in person

27. 05-04-2012 06:54 PM #482
      Quote Originally Posted by andlf View Post
      Quote, originally posted by superleggera »
      Audi 100 is still produced in China as the FAW Hongqi ca7220e. I'd probably have it over any Chinese-engineered Geely, Cherry, Great-Wall, or Brilliance death trap.

I'm surprised they didn't call it the Krauti!

Aw, don't be so sauer about it.

05-04-2012 07:04 PM #483
      Daewoo and Kia both had plans to enter the Canadian market right around that time so it was possible that they designed their cars to comply with the bumper laws. Although more likely, it was just a styling statement. Big US-style bumpers were a popular styling trend/theme in Korea at that time too. Lots of Korean cars had these ridiculous looking oversized bumpers in the 80s.

05-04-2012 07:06 PM #484
      Quote Originally Posted by manol2 View Post
      In the 90's Daewoo went to a shopping spree, and bought a bunch of East Europen factories, so they rebadged done of the cars, made in there, like the Polonez:

Very obscure

I remember Daewoo taking over the FSO factory but I don't remember that they rebadged the cars.
      Last edited by bzcat; 05-04-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Vehicles
      2000 Civic D16Y7
      05-04-2012 07:35 PM #485
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      The original Isuzu I-mark was just a rebadged Opel Ascona, and both were just essentially GM T-body sedans (e.g., Chevette, T-1000, etc.):

Most people know that; what they don't know is ANOTHER version of this car was sold--the Saehan Maepsy--in Korea, using a Kia-supplied engine:

The i-Mark wasn't based off of the Ascona, but the Kadett. Ascona was a size up from the T-body. Also, the i-Mark was pretty extensively re-engineered, with a completely different interior and powertrain, so I'm not sure if it counts as a rebadge.

I know nothing about the Korean derivatives. I also did NOT know that the Pony was based on the horrible Marina-interesting.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 07:35 PM #486
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Very obscure

I remember Daewoo taking over the FSO factory but I don't remember that they rebadged the cars.
      They used to make this strange truck
      - like a Polskii El Camino

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 07:44 PM #487
      I bet that most Americans (outside of TCL, that is) don't know that the Jeep Liberty is named Jeep Cherokee outside North America. It kept the old, well known nameplate.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 08:18 PM #488
      When Peugeot took over Citroen, they rebadged the 104 into LN and LNA:

Talbot Samba is another version:

34. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2012 08:30 PM #489
      Citroen AX= Proton Tiara

Tomos - Citroen. They are more famous with making mopeds:

Vehicles
      05-20-2012 11:12 AM #490
      I came across one I've never heard before. The Mazda 323/Protege was using an old AUstin name in Colombia, it was called the Mazda Allegro.

Another one from Australia. This late 70's 3rd generation Mitsubishi Galant was sold as the Chrysler Sigma. I believe it was sold as Dodge Colt in USA? Can anyone confirm this?

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast