VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

GA: Athens VW Club, Water Cooled Division

393K views 7K replies 133 participants last post by  the_toad 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well it has been awhile and as we are slowly starting to emerge from our winter cocoon, it is time for a little GTG.
Everyone is welcome, of course. The more, the merrier.
Nothing but a meet, greet and eat.
Address:
2020 Timothy Rd.
Athens, GA 30606
http://www.locosgrill.com/loca...tside
If you don't know it, map it.
See you there.Mav.

See less See more
#77 ·
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Neon Washer Nozzle »

Edit: We're going to PAP sometime Saturday, but I'm not sure exactly when we're gonna leave. I can call you if you want to meet up.
i wont be home saturday. so it seems well have to do it another time. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif im still hopeing i can make it to this meet http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#78 ·
Re: FV-QR (dogginfox)

I just take stuff to the carwash an use the high pressure hose there.

As far as swapping dizzy gears, I've never drilled out the pin, I always tap them out with a punch. The gear is usually still a little tight on the shaft, so you might need a puller, or have it pressed off.
I have the bearing separator here in this pic. I can probably combine the bearing separator with a jaw puller and take the gear off that way.

#79 ·
Re: FV-QR (Neon Washer Nozzle)

Anybody have any requests from Pull-A-Part? They had some decent MkIII's there last time, and plenty of MkII's. I didn't see any GTI/GLI's, but they were adding rows to the import section so... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

In need to make a run to find some crap for my inturdra, I'll make a trip just let me know when.
I also have some small thing i'd like to get done on the next tech day.

Modified by 1.8tblue4door at 5:32 PM 2-16-2010

#80 ·
Re: FV-QR (1.8tblue4door)

Eirc- If I ever get the Dizzy out of the Jetta Ill let you try your luck at getting the gears off. Maybe it would be best to use your press? who knows, I fudged up drilling out the pin on the 1.8 Dizzy and I hope that is no big deal.
Im going to try and use my jumper cables to the jetta when I get out of class in the AM and try and get the motor to turn over and hopefully Ill be able to pull the Dizzy then.

#81 ·
Re: FV-QR (1.8tblue4door)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8tblue4door »

In need to make a run to find some crap for my inturdra, I'll make a trip just let me know when.]

The more the merrier. The last times we went we left Athens around 1, and stayed until they started honking car horns at us to run us off.

Might be better to get an earlier start next time

#82 ·
FV-QR

Eric, u have im'z http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#83 ·
Re: FV-QR (automan89)

This Sunday's Tech Day is now 50/50. Wife and child are not feeling well and I may need to take care of them.
Stay tuned.
In other news, got a new clutch (16V plate, 8V disc), nearly all the seals in and on the trans, rear main seal, shift linkage repair, trans mount and misc other odds and ends yesterday.
Thanks to VW City.

Mav.

#84 ·
any chance they had a New Beetle at PAP? I could use a few parts and they are hard to find at junk yards before they are FULLY stripped. Let me know. I'd be willing to meet up.
Oh any B5.5 passats? Maybe Matt would want to see what he could get too.

#85 ·
Re: (MichelleRoze)

I didn't see any NB's or B5.5's when we were at the South (Moreland) location. They did have a few Passats, but I didn't look at them closely. The newest Passat was a '97 wagon and it was just about completely stripped, and piled full of random junk too.
According to their website theres a NB at the North (Norcross) location. I haven't seen it myself.
You can search their inventory with this website:
http://www.pullapart.com/inven....aspx

#86 ·
Re: (Neon Washer Nozzle)

Anyone have an engine hoist they want to let me borrow for a few days? Got two blocks i need to pull.
Got a new can of pb blaster today to hopefully free up the stuck Dizzy. Im going to pick up a Digi Head this weekend at PAP if I can find a nice one....Project 2.0 Big Valve Fox is getting closer and closer to being finished looks like im within $500 of having her back on the Road!!!!!

#87 ·
Re: (dogginfox)

Quote, originally posted by dogginfox »
Im going to pick up a Digi Head this weekend at PAP if I can find a nice one....Project 2.0 Big Valve Fox is getting closer and closer to being finished looks like im within $500 of having her back on the Road!!!!!

You are doing a 2.0 ABA block with a Digifant head?
Mav.

#88 ·
Re: (VW Maverick)

Quote, originally posted by VW Maverick »

You are doing a 2.0 ABA block with a Digifant head?
Mav.

Yes and No
The head is going to be a Digi Head but with CIS-E injector seats to accept the injectors from the Fox, Apparently this will work and give me the Big Valves I want without lots of expensive Head work. Plus Maybe i can find a German head and get rid of all the Brazilian crap the fox came with

#92 ·
Re: (dogginfox)

Quote, originally posted by dogginfox »
The pb Blaster loosened up the Dizzy so It will spin now but still will not come out. If I wait and pull the trans will I be able to tap it out or should I try and pull the Intermediate shaft?

If the engine imploded, it may not give up the Dizzy so easily.
If you can get the intermediate shaft out, it will probably help to release it.
Got all I need for my Corrado radiator install. Gonna do it this weekend.
In case you were wondering, and I know you weren't, I am doing a serpentine belt conversion and I need the Corrado radiator as the hoses are attached on the driver's side to free up the room on the other side for all the serpentine parts and pullies.

Bump.
Mav.

#94 ·
Re: (VW Maverick)

Quote, originally posted by VW Maverick »

Got all I need for my Corrado radiator install. Gonna do it this weekend.
In case you were wondering, and I know you weren't, I am doing a serpentine belt conversion and I need the Corrado radiator as the hoses are attached on the driver's side to free up the room on the other side for all the serpentine parts and pullies.

How will that work with the a/c? Will you be going to a Corrado or MkIII serp-belt compressor, or can you just change the clutch/pulley on the MkII V-belt compressor to the raddo parts?
It'd be cool to do a pull-a-part gtg, I'm not 100% sure if my friends from ATL will be there or not, hoping they will. The weather looks like it will be good, supposed to be between 55 and 60.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Neon Washer Nozzle at 10:11 AM 2-18-2010

#95 ·

How will that work with the a/c? Will you be going to a Corrado or MkIII serp-belt compressor, or can you just change the clutch/pulley on the MkII V-belt compressor to the raddo parts?

I will be using a Corrado compressor which is the best of both worlds:
serpentine pulley with MK2 hose connections.

Have fun at PAP.
Mav.

#96 ·
which pap you going to? ever been to U Wrench it? There is one not far from PaP in Norcross. Usually they have more parts available.
(770) 448-6485 see if they have more of what you need.
I liked this place better honestly.

#97 ·
Re: (MichelleRoze)

There are specific parts on 2 specific cars I'm after at the South PAP. Maybe we can hit U-wrench-it next time. What time is good for everyone to meet up? Zach and I usually meet up at Homewood Hills but if yall are farther up like Statham or somewhere we can rendezvous with you near there http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#100 ·
Re: (1.8tblue4door)

I'm asking y'all what time is good because if it were up to me I'd be there waiting in the parking lot at 8am when they open. I've been told, however, that most people of the VW persuasion usually enjoy sleeping in on the weekends.

#101 ·

I might have to Go to my dads in NC this weekend
Ill find out tonight. If not Anytime you want to leave is good for me.
Do i really have to special order another 12pt bit to get the head off my fox or is there some super common tool i can use that Im just overlooking?
Im guessing ill need this tool if im going to try and get a Digi head this weekend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.