Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 150 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: GA: Athens VW Club, Water Cooled Division

Vehicles
      92 Jetta GTX
      02-24-2010 10:53 PM #141
      Wish I could come by and check the out your project, but this weekend is the wife's B-day and I need to be around for her. It is the least I can do as all the other weekends are spent doing things to my car.
      Take some pics of the work.

My next, and probably last, major project is the serpentine belt conversion on my MK2. Got all the parts, just need some time.

Mav.

Page 5 is mine!!!!!!

Korean tires on Italian wheels with a Scottish driver of a German car made in Mexico. It's like a Benetton ad.

2. 02-25-2010 01:51 AM #142
      Mav- No Worries, This is just a rush to get everything up and running so the Code lady will leave me alone. There will be Plenty more work to be done, Rear Disc brake conversion, wheel bearings, Bushings, Shocks, Heater Core,Dent removal, fender rolling, ect.

Eric- Are you planning a trip to PAP this weekend? I need a new Oil Pan in a Bad way, I did not realize how beat up mine was.

Vehicles
      Mad tyte JDM '84 Mazda minitruck hellaflush dorifto poke and stretch pro-touring euro edition.
      02-25-2010 09:03 AM #143

PAP sounds like a plan, I do need to get a steel wheel for a super secret project I have in the works.

Any of you guys know someone with a plasma cutter?

VW's are proof of miracles. Most of the cars on the Vortex leave a double rainbow behind in the parking spot.

Sent from my crappy desktop PC using Windows 95 and pirated Wi-Fi .

Vehicles
      89markII GTI 16V, markIV 03 revoed/lowered/ boosted and loud
      02-25-2010 03:35 PM #144
      im sstill hot about this code crap . before the illegal foriegners came in and wrecked our economy this was the land of the free and the home of the brave .. if you wanted to build an ark in your yard you were free to do so . if you wanted to then set it on fire , drink a beer and watch it burn . that was free of charge .. nowadays , government has stepped in to the finance business .. they finance all these illegals who work for cash and do not pay taxes . so that there children can go to our schools and slow the learning process for black and white children who were blessed by god to be born here legally.that is the root of this.. we have to put free money into the hands of people who are not suppose to be here in the first place .. our children willl have to deal with this after we are gone because our government did nothing to protect american citizens. thats us for those not paying attention
      my tastes are simple / german cars / swiss watches / and well rounded american ladies

Vehicles
      2011 VW Golf TDI :: 1989 VW Jetta Coupe
      02-25-2010 05:02 PM #145
      hey guys, might be able to make it up there again. have to see how things work out with scheduling for that weekend! lol
      I hate the lack of crispness in a diesel and i hate the ping when I go to fill up a gas car. *sigh* I'll never find the car for me.. haha

Vehicles
      92 Jetta GTX
      02-25-2010 05:14 PM #146
      Quote, originally posted by cealer »
      hey guys, might be able to make it up there again. have to see how things work out with scheduling for that weekend! lol

Cool. Hope to see you there.
      The more, the merrier.

Mav.

Korean tires on Italian wheels with a Scottish driver of a German car made in Mexico. It's like a Benetton ad.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SEL, 2002 Jetta GLS, 1990 Golf GL, 1995 300zxTT, 2011 Ruckus
      02-25-2010 05:15 PM #147
      Indeed, I have had 3 cars wrecked or totaled by illegal immigrants (not just Mexicans) in Clarke County, all three time the police knew the people where illegal, had no insurance, and only one of them had a drivers license(that turned out to be fake). All three times the damage done was not covered my insurance, and I have had no way to recover money for damages done to my legally owned property. To top off the loss of money to repair or replace the vehicles, my insurance would raise my rates, even thought all 3 where of no fault of mine.

One of the wrecks took two tow trucks to pull an accord with no tag or insurance out of the trunk of my car, and the police allowed the illegal driver to leave without providing any information or any consequences to him. They tried to justify it by saying he totaled his car (What about my totaled car). What would have happen to me if i rear ended a stopped car, had several people flee the wreck, had no insurance, no registration, and no ID of any kind. Since the police allowed the person to leave with out giving any info, Insurance would not cover anything as they could not identify fault. The car was my 3 month old 2003 Civic Si with less than 800 miles on it. I was stuck pay off a car that some illegal immigrant totaled, and had no legal recourse.

But, we as legal citizens get stuck paying for there education, health care, trips home(INS), and other services. At the same time they send money out of our country, which they pay no taxes on. So we give and they take, and we get screwed. There are legal ways to get into this country and become a productive citizen, but the government would have to enforce it.

Modified by 1.8tblue4door at 5:16 PM 2-25-2010

Vehicles
      02-25-2010 07:08 PM #148
      i have seen their vagrance first hand . i have worked for the state repairing voice and data networks at state agencies for almost 12 years. not only dfacs , community health centers are being raped by these "people ". people show up with no reportable income , no id, no thing but an outheld hand , and of course no cash . i was at hall county health dept about 5 years ago and they didnt have any gloves, they were out . i watched the head nurse give the director what for about not haveing gloves treating diseased illegals . she told him to take a hike and quit on the spot .. they have interpreters they have to hire to translate . it sickens me deeply.those "people" are not held to the same legal responsibility that we americans are . your right if you crashed into somebody with no id no insurance , you would be looking for 2 things . a lawyer and a bondsman , not necessarilly in that order .... sucks to be legal dont it
      my tastes are simple / german cars / swiss watches / and well rounded american ladies

9. 02-26-2010 01:14 AM #149
      Russellt- Dont hold back tell us how you really feel!

I didnt mean to start something so off topic but I agree with everything said 100%. A few years ago a friend and I were leaving Downtown Athens when the bars closed and we were involved in a head on crash in front of the classic center, The person that hit us was a Drunk 14 year old Hispanic boy. He slammed his honda into my friends ford ranger breaking the front axles and popping both front tires off the truck, somehow the hispanic boy managed to reverse and flee the scene, The police eventually caught up with him but again insurance did not cover the damages and my friend could not sue because the information given to the ACCPD turned out to be False!!!

Dont get me wrong I have several good hispanic friends but they are here legally and PAY TAXES!!!

This topic irritates me just as much if not more than Welfare but I wont get started on that

Looking forward to the GTG, with or without the Fox it should be a blast. Cant wait to have a few and see everyone

Vehicles
      Mad tyte JDM '84 Mazda minitruck hellaflush dorifto poke and stretch pro-touring euro edition.
      02-26-2010 10:00 AM #150

Its not just illegal immigrants, there are a lot of legal citizens driving around without insurance too. I bet half the members of ImportAtlanta are driving with their licenses suspended for racing or speeding, no insurance, etc. You'd be a fool not to carry uninsured motorist coverage nowadays. I'll definitely be adding it to the Ford once its on the road. Not that it would help much given that insurance companies are all pretty evil.

Most illegal immigrants would probably be in brackets exempt from paying taxes if they were legal, because they make so little. And they do pay sales tax, so theres that. What would probably help would be putting a tax on the money transfers they use to send money out of the country.

I really don't think illegal immigration will be solved until conditions in Mexico and central America improve. If you lived in a place like this...

You'd do whatever it takes to get yourself and your family out. I haven't been to Mexico, D.F. myself but from what I have studied and from what I have heard from friends who have went there on mission trips and such, I wouldn't wish that life on anybody

VW's are proof of miracles. Most of the cars on the Vortex leave a double rainbow behind in the parking spot.

Vehicles
      02-26-2010 07:14 PM #151
      where was that picture taken eric? Gainesville

Vehicles
      92 Jetta GTX
      02-26-2010 10:47 PM #152
      Alright boys. A little off topic.
      Save this for the next episode of "American Idle" on Fox.

One week from this Saturday is this GTG.
      I hope everyone is looking forward to it.
      Weather should be nice.

I can't believe it is almost March.
      Time is flyin.

Mav.

Vehicles
      02-27-2010 10:09 PM #153
      Just a quick reminder, dragons tail trip tomorrow, we will be meeting at homewood hills at 9:30am.

Vehicles
      92 Jetta GTX
      02-27-2010 10:14 PM #154
      Quote, originally posted by 1.8tblue4door »
      Just a quick reminder, dragons tail trip tomorrow, we will be meeting at homewood hills at 9:30am.

Have fun. Take pics.

Mav.

Vehicles
      92 Jetta GTX
      02-28-2010 11:08 AM #155
      Sunday AM Bump.
      It is also my wife's birthday. Her name is Andrea.
      Wish her a good B-Day for me.

GTG is this coming Saturday.

Mav.

Vehicles
      04 Jetta, 66 Mustang
      02-28-2010 03:03 PM #156
      happy b-day to the miss's!
      Detailed Image Atlanta/Instagram @brantheman89/
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.

Also, not to sound like a turd, but just mute it when I talk or something...the next 8 shows are really fun. But again, I think you might hate fun...oh well, try it any way.

17. 02-28-2010 06:19 PM #157
      Todays trip was FFFFUUUUNNNNN!!!! The Dragon pushes your suspension to its max. Thomas's mom is cool as heck. On the straights she was driving like she stole that car.

Vehicles
      92 Jetta GTX
      02-28-2010 08:30 PM #158
      Quote, originally posted by baker001 »
      Thomas's mom is cool as heck. On the straights she was driving like she stole that car.

What was she driving?

Mav.

Vehicles
      02-28-2010 09:19 PM #159
      Quote, originally posted by VW Maverick »

What was she driving?

Mav.

The 300zxTT

20. 02-28-2010 09:54 PM #160
      Eric and I Went to PAP today and I picked up an oil Pan for the fox that looks new compared to the origional.

On the way back we stopped by Harbor Freight and As luck would have it They had a 1 Ton Engine Lift on sale for 139. For some reason I got an extra discount and it only cost me 112!!!!! After spending some time at the Lilburn International farmers market and Picking up a Durian. Eric and I tried to rush the setting sun to put the lift together......We lost. Tomorrow I will finish putting it together and maybe pull 1 of the 2 motors...Finally some real Progress

Vehicles
      03-01-2010 09:37 AM #161

The bag of hardware that came with the engine lift was missing at least 8 nuts.

How was the Durian? I hear they are quite pungent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQj-hFfmYkQ

Modified by Neon Washer Nozzle at 10:41 AM 3-1-2010

Vehicles
      2002 TDI New Beetle w/ 5 speed swap
      03-01-2010 10:30 AM #162
      I'm still hoping to make this GtG on Saturday. Though if my suspension comes in, I might be doing that instead. But there is a chance it won't be here til next week. So we'll see. Can't wait though. And I think Matt will probably bring the wagon as well.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you...

Vehicles
      92 Jetta GTX
      03-01-2010 01:03 PM #163
      Quote, originally posted by MichelleRoze »
      I'm still hoping to make this GtG on Saturday. Though if my suspension comes in, I might be doing that instead. But there is a chance it won't be here til next week. So we'll see. Can't wait though. And I think Matt will probably bring the wagon as well.

It will be great to have both of you there.
      Looking forward to it.

Mav.

24. 03-01-2010 04:43 PM #164
      Quote, originally posted by Neon Washer Nozzle »

The bag of hardware that came with the engine lift was missing at least 8 nuts.

How was the Durian? I hear they are quite pungent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQj-hFfmYkQ

Modified by Neon Washer Nozzle at 10:41 AM 3-1-2010

WE just read the instructions wrong, All the bolts were there!!!!

Durian was alot like cold scrambled eggs with an alkaline taste hint!

Fox wont be ready for this GTG but should be for the next

Gotta get back to work on it while the weather is still nice

Vehicles
      03-01-2010 05:30 PM #165
      Found out I'll probably be in Florida on Saturday.

26. 03-01-2010 07:24 PM #166
      Motor is loose in the Fox, ran out of daylight but all I think it needs now is a little tough love and the trans should fall and the motor should come all the way out! It wants to come out now but the crank pulley hits the bottom inside of the front bumper and lifts the whole car off the jack stands!

Im going to cut the axles on the jetta as they are PITA to get too and its taking a toll on my 8mm Tripple square bit. After that I just have to unbolt the Engine and trans mounts and it should come right up!

Since its supposed to rain all day tomorrow I doubt much will get done, maybe a trip to the engine builders is in order

Wed should be a Turning point for the project and things SHOULD move quickly after that. Just need to make a list of all the Misc gaskets and other small parts I need to replace and Place another order Are there any Gaskets that are preferable to others? I need to order quite a few, along with T belt kit, Cam (TT or Autotech?), Shifter Bushings, Coolant hoses, and probably about a hundred other things

For now its Time for

Modified by dogginfox at 9:04 PM 3-1-2010

Vehicles
      03-01-2010 10:43 PM #167

Techtonics for the cam... they usually have a package deal where you can get cam/lifters and valvesprings at a discount.

28. 03-02-2010 01:51 AM #168
      Just created 3 "shopping carts" on partsgeek,com, TT, and ECS Looks like im looking at 600 to finish this thing correctly

I HATE ACC right now......HATE, HATE, HATE

Vehicles
      03-02-2010 07:14 AM #169

What all is in the shopping carts? There may be more things like the breather that can be fixed without buying the special parts.

Vehicles
      92 Jetta GTX
      03-02-2010 05:05 PM #170
      Quote, originally posted by 1.8tblue4door »
      Found out I'll probably be in Florida on Saturday.

No excuses.

Bump.

Mav.

Vehicles
      92 Jetta GTX
      03-02-2010 08:22 PM #171
      Reminder IMs sent out to everyone.
      Post up your attendance.

Looking forward to it.

Mav.

32. 03-03-2010 02:08 AM #172
      Count me IN! Its been a Long stressfull week already. Cant wait to see some familiar faces and have a few with some good people

As Far as whats in the carts....

268 Cam From TT
      Trunk Seal
      New Pedal covers
      Audi 80 Head Gasket
      Water pump from ECS (might as well replace it right?)
      Intake and Exhaust Gaskets
      Low Temp Thermostat (should I got low temp or normal?)
      Cam Seal
      Radiator Hose kit
      Shifter Bushing Kit
      Golf Timing Belt and Tensioner
      Corrado Valve Cover Gasket with studs
      Head Bolt set
      Clutch Kit
      Remanufactured Drive shafts from Parts Place
      7mm valve Guides
      valve seals
      CIS Brass injector seats
      Injector seal kit
      Lower Injector Cups
      I think im missing a few things but Apparently if you dont order within 12 hrs your shopping cart gets deleted

If you see anything I should delete or add please let me know.

I dropped the Head off at Carroll's Today (Clean,inspect, test, remove broken stud, and deck if necessary)

I ran into an old friend today during a mandatory snow day game of risk. Im going to give him my old trans and engine mounts and he is going to see if his teacher at athens tech will let him use the CNC shop to make me some SOLID mounts from Aircraft Aluminum!

Modified by dogginfox at 2:10 AM 3-3-2010

Vehicles
      04 Jetta, 66 Mustang
      03-03-2010 03:07 AM #173
      hoping to make this. hope it will be worth the drive. about how far/long is the drive Eric?
      Detailed Image Atlanta/Instagram @brantheman89/
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.

Also, not to sound like a turd, but just mute it when I talk or something...the next 8 shows are really fun. But again, I think you might hate fun...oh well, try it any way.

Vehicles
      03-03-2010 07:05 AM #174
      Quote, originally posted by automan89 »
      hoping to make this. hope it will be worth the drive. about how far/long is the drive Eric?

Its not too bad from Griffin. An hour at most.

Zach, that looks like everything in your cart. Are you sure the Audi 80 head gasket is the right one? I always thought the ABA/RV combo used the ABA head gasket, but I could be wrong. Or the ABA could be the same gasket as the Audi 80 for all I know.

Vehicles
      2002 TDI New Beetle w/ 5 speed swap
      03-03-2010 08:36 AM #175
      Still plannin' on bein' there. Matt may or may not. Depends on how he feels, he just go in from Vegas this morning at 5 am. I'm sure jet lag is killin' him right now. But hopefully he'll be in attendance as well Besides, it's been a bit since I had Locos and it sounds good right now.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you...

Page 5 of 150 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast