Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: VCDS MKVI / MK6 Platform, Handy Coding tweaks

1. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      01-31-2010 12:21 AM #1
      Ross-Tech is not responsible for any damage or problems that may result from following these instructions. They are to be used at your own risk. The Ross-Tech Wiki platform specific tweaks pages have replaced the contents in this post. This thread is active for general discussion.

1. It is always recommended to perform a complete Auto-Scan and save it prior to coding changes. Please see the Online Manual: Auto Scan Screen
      2. Never Copy coding from a different vehicle and Paste it to your module(s).
      3. All Auto-Scans must be posted using the current release of VCDS which is found Here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

Address 09 - Central Electronics:

1. If this module does not communicate, unlock all vehicle doors and try again.

2. Byte 18 *Do Not alter this if you are not retrofitting rear lights*

1. Notes can be found here: For those with Byte 18 issues... (MK6)
      2. Additional (non US spec) Byte 18 discussion here: DRL's - tail lights deactivation..

Address 46 - Central Conv.:
      • The 46-Cent. Conv. module does not really exist on the 2010 Golf (or other Mk6 type vehicles). All functions formerly found in 46 have been integrated into the (BCM) 09-Cent Elect. We think a "virtual" entry for 46 is still included in the Gateway Installation List for compatibility reasons (internal communications with other modules in the car).

Address 55 - Xenon Range
      • It may be possible to enable a Tourist Mode feature via the MFA as shown in this example Travel Mode. Registered customers will need to contact us directly for assistance and have a legitimate need for this feature, such as traveling to another country where driving in the opposite side of the road is necessary.

Address 62 - Door, Rear Left:
      • Later production MK6 platform vehicles may use rear door modules that are integrated in the front much like 46 is integrated in 09. We think a "virtual" entry for 46 is still included in the Gateway Installation List for compatibility reasons (internal communications with other modules in the car).

Address 72 - Door, Rear Right:
      • Same applies from Address - 62 above.

Address 56 - Radio:
      • The newer RNS-315 does not communicate with a scan tool. Use address 37-Navigation (J794) instead.

Retrofits:
      • Retrofitting information is available on the Ross-Tech Wiki:
        Retrofitting Page

• RoW Vehicle, Retrofit indirect TPMS using coding only:
        How to: retrofit indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring in 5 minutes. (7K6)
        Depending on the Instrument cluster that's installed, Byte 2, Bit 0 may need turned On = 1 for the TPMS light/icon to work. The current VCDS includes this documentation in the Long Coding Helper

Side notes:
        • M.Y. 2010 BCM equipped US market vehicles used the 65-TPMS module, which was simply an additional function of the 09-Cent. Elect. module, with TPMS sensors mounted in each wheel.
        • Starting in M.Y. 2011 the U.S. market 1K/AJ vehicles now use the ABS style of TPMS mentioned in the thread above. They have the TPMS reset button from the factory.

• NAR Vehicle, European switch retrofit:
        DIY - Wiring a Euro Headlight Switch to run parking lights

• NAR Vehicle, Alarm Siren retrofit:
        DIY: Alarm Siren Install

• NAR Golf / Gti LED Tail Light retrofit:

Forum discussion about coding and installing LED lights and Byte 18 coding can be found here: LED tail Install with or without Rear Fog

2012 Golf R and 2012 Separate LED DRL type Xenon Golf models should also see Tom's notes on the extra wire swap. Notes on LED Tail / Rear Fog Install

Most NAR vehicles retrofitting the rear fog lamp with factory/incandescent configuration can choose the standard RoW selection in the Long Coding Helper. They need to swap wires as mentioned in the above links and the following should be helpful: Non-LED Rear Fog Light

If you cannot find the coding configuration after reading the various forum sources, Registered Ross-Tech customers can send us complete Auto-Scans with "LED Tail Light retrofit" in the subject line. Please include the part number of all four lights, RH or LH drive vehicle details, and with or w/o a rear fog lamp.

• NAR Jetta LED Tail Light retrofit:
        This is still a work in progress, but forum discussion about coding and installing LED lights and Byte 18 coding can be found here: 2010 Jetta LED Tail Coding

• NAR Golf / Gti Auto Headlights and RLS retrofit:
        Tips related to Coding and Adaptation on a US 2010 Market Gti can be found here: Adding Rain and Light Sensor

• Door Warning Lights retrofit:
        Installing Door Waring Lights involves wiring and coding. Coding for the latest door modules is documented in the current release of VCDS but there are two styles of door modules as noted above. The production split for NAR vehicles was in 2010:

1. If the vehicle has the conventional modules all 4 will communicate independently using addresses 42, 52, 62 and 72. In these cases connect to each module and add the "Door Exit/Warning Light installed" (typically + 64) value to the existing short coding. Ex: If the short coding was 0001204 add 64 for a new value of 0001268.
        2. If the vehicle uses the newer (UDS) style of modules only the front modules will communicate using addresses 42 and 52. Each rear module can be accessed and long coded from the respective right/left front module. Select the front (master) or rear (sub-system) module from the drop down list and use the long coding helper to configure "Door Exit/Warning Light installed" by checking the box and saving the new coding.

• Mirror down in reverse
        Mirror down in reverse is generally not possible with coding alone if the car did not have this feature from production. This typically involves/requires:

1. Coding the 09-Cent. Elect. module for the option.
        2. The pair of front window motors/door module addresses 42-Door Elect, Driver -and- 52-Door Elect, Pass. capable of and coded for this feature.
        3. The exterior passenger mirror assembly with memory capability and additional wiring from that mirror to the door module.

Ross-Tech does not have a complete list of the door modules that support this. If you need assistance determining what parts are required please contact your local dealer or parts distributor.

General:

Using the Long Coding Helper when checkboxes are not present

Several of the convenience settings can be changed from the MFI without a scan tool. VW has this site for all models:
      http://www.ownerwelcome.com

Testing:

If anyone wants to test this additional menu, please post your scan.

Auto-Close

Explained in detail by Mr.Timewise Here

Dana's Scan
      A3 feedback
      Mk6 door warning lights
      [color=#000080 & [color=#404040
      Last edited by Dana @ Ross-Tech; 01-29-2014 at 03:46 PM.

01-31-2010 03:32 PM #2
      Thank you!
      Last edited by sfpegasus; 05-20-2010 at 11:54 AM.
      2010 CW Golf TDI DSG 2DR - Euroswitch - LED tails, turns - Clear corners - GTI sideskirts - Audi stainless tips - Porto alloy spare - Plastic battery box - 9W7 Bluetooth
      2013 RS Golf 2.5 6AT 2DR - Bone stock

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      01-31-2010 08:24 PM #3
      Thanks!

The Phone module for the VI indicates to send you an autoscan as well. Mine is posted in my Golf TDI thread.

2010 Golf TDI 4 Door Shark Blue. DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Nav, Rear airbags

Quote Originally Posted by Outie5000 View Post
      And lets be honest, owning a diesel car is nifty.

Vehicles
      Current: 2013 Passat SE 2005 F-150. Previous '97 Jetta 2.0, 01 Jetta 2.0, '10 GTI Autobahn
      01-31-2010 11:04 PM #4
      Been waiting for this thread. Thanks Dana!
      mkvi GTI 4d 6mt CSG autobahn, xenons, dyanaudio, detroits

apr stg. 1/ BFI torque mount insert/ apr carbonio stg 1 and 2/ tiguan noise pipe delete/ awe boost guage w/42dd tap

5. 02-09-2010 09:35 AM #5
      Will you also include information about the new stationwagon?

More exactly 5k0 937 087 D

6. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      02-09-2010 11:01 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by mtben »
      Will you also include information about the new stationwagon?

More exactly 5k0 937 087 D

That looks like a 2010 Jetta BCM / 09 module. Please create a new thread with your AutoScan and any specific questions you have.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

Vehicles
      PQ35 5K 5DR
      02-18-2010 10:56 AM #7
      Thanks
      1988 Acura Legend > 1990 VW Corrado > 1994 Audi 90 quattro > 1991 Audi Coupe quattro > 2002 Acura 1.7EL > 2010 VW GTI > 2010 Mazda5 GT with Manual & leather

near the Gandy, Frankland and Sunshine Skyway
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      02-18-2010 08:30 PM #8
      Does the Jetta Sportwagen MKVI require a +CAN type cable or will my old HEX-USB cable be able to address all modules?

9. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      02-18-2010 10:31 PM #9
      You will need a HEX-USB+CAN interface. If you are a registered Ross-Tech customer we offer upgrades. http://www.ross-tech.com/Merch...etHEX

The Micro-CAN would also work for that vehicle. http://www.ross-tech.com/Merch...AGCOM

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

near the Gandy, Frankland and Sunshine Skyway
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      02-19-2010 11:28 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by Dana @ Ross-Tech »
      You will need a HEX-USB+CAN interface. If you are a registered Ross-Tech customer we offer upgrades. http://www.ross-tech.com/Merch...etHEX

The Micro-CAN would also work for that vehicle. http://www.ross-tech.com/Merch...AGCOM

Thanks. But from the way I read about Micro-CAN, it wouldn't work for my Touareg (despite the fact that it has CAN-BUS)? Plus being more expensive, it would be cheaper for me to upgrade to the HEX-USB+CAN. Is there anything that the HEX-USB+CAN doesn't do that the Micro-CAN does do?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Tiguan
      02-19-2010 01:14 PM #11
      No - the HEX-USB+CAN is our most complete coverage product and the product we recommend to repair shops to cover all VW/Audi models between '95 and 2010. The Micro-CAN is intended for enthusiasts working on the MKV, MKVI based vehicles. It does not work on all VW/Audi platforms.

For a better idea of what works with what model, consult our World Compatibility Chart http://www.ross-tech.net/VCDS/...s.pdf

Vehicles
      2010 VW Jetta TDI 1998 dodge caravan 200o honda civic 1990 toyota sr5 p/u 1986 sr5 p/u
      02-21-2010 07:54 PM #12
      Hello Dana:
      Is there any info on european tail light mod for the 2010 Jetta yet?

13. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      02-22-2010 10:07 AM #13
      Hi Edward! There is a VW Vortex member that has ordered LED Euro. Golf tail lights (with adapters and coding instructions) but he hasn't updated me on the install. The parts may not have arrived yet.

Did the TPMS activate on your Jetta by coding 09 - Cent. Electronics?

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit, 2010 GTI
      02-22-2010 10:37 AM #14
      Dana,
      I too have ordered LED tails. Several forums have indicated that the relevant coding in Central Electronics, Byte 18. However when I go to that byte there is a warning message not to alter the coding. Can you provide any further explanation as to the the issues with this byte? TM Tuning offers a device with the lights, which I believe is produced by Kufatec (though not certain), which preforms the required coding. However given the warning in VCDS I'm not so sure I want to allow this. Any information is appreciated...

I can provide a complete scan, just didn't want to clutter this thread...

Modified by chadcronin at 10:54 AM 2-22-2010

Vehicles
      2010 VW Jetta TDI 1998 dodge caravan 200o honda civic 1990 toyota sr5 p/u 1986 sr5 p/u
      02-22-2010 11:25 AM #15
      Thanks for the info i have not implemented the tpms mod yet as it is winter here and my car is stored but be assured it will be done as will many other mods this Kick *** forum provides. This place rocks!

02-22-2010 12:06 PM #16
      This may come in handy a bit later when we get the LED thing sorted out - I found some interesting information over in the MKVI forum regarding adaptation of LED tails:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...34981

Quote, originally posted by MrEastside78 »
      You need vagcom to reprogram. I´m sure your lokal dealer can help you.
      Set your new code in BYTE 18 to:
      Byte 18 Bit 2
      04 = 00000100

I´m not sure this will make you remove your errors, because cars whitout xenon and prductionsweek before week 45 2009 has a different software. This software can not be reprogrammed, need to change your hardware BCM.

Maybee you can find an answer in this thread: http://www.motor-talk.de/forum...e=179

read from site 180 and forwards. Need to understand german or use google translate.

Modified by sfpegasus at 2:17 PM 2-22-2010
      2010 CW Golf TDI DSG 2DR - Euroswitch - LED tails, turns - Clear corners - GTI sideskirts - Audi stainless tips - Porto alloy spare - Plastic battery box - 9W7 Bluetooth

Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit, 2010 GTI
      02-22-2010 02:24 PM #17
      ^ Thanks. I saw that - it's what led me to Byte 18 and the warning in VCDS. Reading through the referenced thread (via a translator) it's not clear [to me] whether it is saying that there is an issue with all cars produced before week 45 or just those w/o Bi-Xenon... At the moment my main concern is lees with the required coding but more with the warnings associated with byte 18.

02-22-2010 05:16 PM #18
      Well, like I posted in the MKVI forum, I think enough doubt exists to wait a month until VW settles the discussion. Then I'll be ALL OVER it.

19. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      02-25-2010 04:04 PM #19
      I completely agree. Chad and I emailed and my Byte 18 summary is:

Byte 18 is marked unsafe due to reports of control module failure and undesirable results on various makes and models. I do not have any reports from the US indicating that the installation and coding for a LED retrofit was successful.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

Vehicles
      13.5 FSM GLI
      02-25-2010 09:35 PM #20
      i figured the mkvi's were going to be similar
      Current: 2013.5 FSM GLI

Previous: 09 DBP CC, 93 Cabby, 07 DBP GLI, 91 TR GTI 16V, 05 PG GLI....

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Don't **** with Wayne. He is crazy and likes 311.

03-02-2010 04:23 PM #21
      I completely agree. Chad and I emailed and my Byte 18 summary is:

Byte 18 is marked unsafe due to reports of control module failure and undesirable results on various makes and models. I do not have any reports from the US indicating that the installation and coding for a LED retrofit was successful.

I suspect this install falls into this unsafe category?

http://mk6.mk5golfgti.co.uk/fo...sg488

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      03-02-2010 10:58 PM #22
      I like how you guys programmed the soft coding so I dont have to refer to threads like this to change the hex/bit coding to the correct numbers hehehe

Its funny that the vcds has more capabilities than my 8000.00 snap on scanner lol

the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

23. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      03-03-2010 10:01 AM #23
      Quote, originally posted by sfpegasus »

I suspect this install falls into this unsafe category?

http://mk6.mk5golfgti.co.uk/fo...sg488

Someone sent me that link as well, I need to review it. I can say that Byte 18 coding value shown is NOT advised when you don't have LED tails and are experimenting.

Quote, originally posted by Slimjimmn »
      I like how you guys programmed the soft coding so I dont have to refer to threads like this to change the hex/bit coding to the correct numbers hehehe

Its funny that the vcds has more capabilities than my 8000.00 snap on scanner lol

Thanks

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

Vehicles
      2012 London Oyster Card
      03-03-2010 12:56 PM #24
      In for future reference as someone with Xenons and LED tails coming from overseas.

Vehicles
      @LuvGermanCars
      03-03-2010 01:15 PM #25
      Subscribed for LED tails info
      2Ø11 Candy-Weiß Golf 6 2,0 6-Gang DPF TDI BLUEMOTION Technologies™ Highline 4-Türen ▀ 2Ø11 Tornadorot Jetta 6 2,5 Highline 4-TürenØ8 Deep Blau Perleffekt Golf 5 .:R32 3,2 DSG 4-MOTION™ 3-Türen ▀ Ø8 Tornadorot Passat 3C Variant Highline 2,0 TFSIØ6 Tornadorot Golf 5 GTI 2,0 DSG TFSI 3-TürenØ2 Indigo Blau Perleffekt Passat 3BG Trendline 1,8T 4-Türen

26. 03-08-2010 05:00 PM #26
      Dana,

Is there a way to turn off the door chime when the key is in the ignition? I realize that it turns off after 30 seconds or so, but would like to disable it completely. I was able to do this on the Mk4 R32, but can't seem to find the coding in the Mk6.

Thanks!
      Kyle

Vehicles
      2014 Audi Q5 2.0T, 2009 Tiguan SEL 4-Mo
      03-09-2010 08:02 AM #27
      subscribing.
      mine: 2014 Q5 2.0T Moonlight Blue. 1987 Guards Red Porsche 944 Turbo. Treatment for my midlife crisis.
      hers: 2009 Tiguan SEL 4-mo. Wild Cherry & Cornsilk, RNS-510, Panaroof, running boards, Thule roof carrier

28. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      03-09-2010 10:52 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by Desmo_Pilot »
      Dana,

Is there a way to turn off the door chime when the key is in the ignition? I realize that it turns off after 30 seconds or so, but would like to disable it completely. I was able to do this on the Mk4 R32, but can't seem to find the coding in the Mk6.

Thanks!
      Kyle

I was able to disable the door chime by changing the coding of address 17. If I remember correctly, both Germany and Rest of World coding disabled this chime. BUT..I did not verify speedometer accuracy, MPG readings, etc. so please update us if you have undesired results. The units were changed back via the MFA controls but I could not disable the alternative speed.

We (Ross-Tech) are also in the process of purchasing LED tail lights (with rear fog) and I will update this thread once we install them and have tested coding and wiring configurations for the NAR Golf.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

Vehicles
      2012 London Oyster Card
      03-10-2010 09:33 AM #29

We (Ross-Tech) are also in the process of purchasing LED tail lights (with rear fog) and I will update this thread once we install them and have tested coding and wiring configurations for the NAR Golf.

Exciting!!! Hope mine should be arriving soon too!

On a side is there a way to disable the chime or change the temperature at when it happens for the cold weather indicator. For me it happens at 4C and having heated underground parking then going outside in the winter it happens all the time.

30. 03-10-2010 11:40 AM #30
      Thank you Dana.

I will try this setting and let you know how it goes.

31. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      03-10-2010 10:26 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by CanadianTurbo »
      On a side is there a way to disable the chime or change the temperature at when it happens for the cold weather indicator. For me it happens at 4C and having heated underground parking then going outside in the winter it happens all the time.

Not that I'm aware of. Mine goes off at 39* F (same as 4* C) and this is due to the temperature that bridges and overpasses freeze over. I realize it may be a nuisance, but it is for safety reasons.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

Vehicles
      '12 F-150 FX4 Super Crew, '11 JSW TDI
      03-12-2010 05:47 AM #32
      Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tGCcIcMoc

33. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      03-12-2010 10:05 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by BarryT82 »
      Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tGCcIcMoc

To the best of my knowledge the needle sweep cannot be altered using standard diagnostics. That was likely done using software other that VCDS or a VAS tester.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

Vehicles
      '12 F-150 FX4 Super Crew, '11 JSW TDI
      03-12-2010 10:49 AM #34
      I saw this posted. I'll try it today when my car is delivered.

VCDS Version 912 beta
      Select under 17 Instruments -> 10 adaption -> Staging
      and activate.
      Thats it.

35. 03-12-2010 12:09 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by BarryT82 »
      I saw this posted. I'll try it today when my car is delivered.

VCDS Version 912 beta
      Select under 17 Instruments -> 10 adaption -> Staging
      and activate.
      Thats it.

Very curious if this works! Let us know what you find out!

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast