Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: VCDS MKVI / MK6 Platform, Handy Coding tweaks

Vehicles
      2010 USDM VW GTI
      03-31-2010 01:52 PM #71
      Quote, originally posted by Dana @ Ross-Tech »

.but the Auto. trans when it is clearly in Park?

Remember Audi in the 80s running over all the kids in garages? Almost put VAG out of business

03-31-2010 02:14 PM #72
      Quote, originally posted by Desmo_Pilot »
      Dana,

Do you know if there is a way to turn off the requirement to hold the brake pedal down when starting a Mk 6 GTI?

I purchased a Mk 6 GTI and a 2010 JSW TDI for my wife. The JSW does not require the brake pedal to be pressed and and I find it very annoying to have to do this with the GTI. So, hoping there is a way to turn this off.

BTW, both cars have DSG.

Not that I'm aware of. I personally don't like it either. I can understand the safety concern with a manual and the clutch pedal...but the Auto. trans when it is clearly in Park?

Comparing the Jetta Tdi and the Gti might not lead me anywhere but send auto scans of both vehicles so I can compare the modules and coding. http://www.ross-tech.com/contact.html

That's odd. My TDI DSG does not have this quirk. Starts right up with a turn of the key.

Modified by sfpegasus at 11:18 AM 3-31-2010

2010 CW Golf TDI DSG 2DR - Euroswitch - LED tails, turns - Clear corners - GTI sideskirts - Audi stainless tips - Porto alloy spare - Plastic battery box - 9W7 Bluetooth
      2013 RS Golf 2.5 6AT 2DR - Bone stock

3. 04-01-2010 11:14 AM #73

Not that I'm aware of. I personally don't like it either. I can understand the safety concern with a manual and the clutch pedal...but the Auto. trans when it is clearly in Park?

Comparing the Jetta Tdi and the Gti might not lead me anywhere but send auto scans of both vehicles so I can compare the modules and coding. http://www.ross-tech.com/contact.html

Dana, I don't know if this helps, but I just ran down to the parking lot to confirm, but my Canadian spec MkVI GTI with DSG, does not require me to have the brake depressed to engage the starter.

I've sent you my scan previously, and now knowing this, perhaps a comparison of my scan to Desmo_Pilot's would reveal something helpful?

4. 04-01-2010 11:19 AM #74
      Dana,

I hear folks all over the forums mentioning this and that little VAG-COM trick. No specific details, just mostly "I did this".

With that said, there seems to be a growing number of things possible that I don't find in your initial list on this thread or in the thread generally.

Since I was expecting this to be the "be all, end all" location for coding tweaks, will you be updating and maintaining this list?

I hate asking folks for their guidance, when this forum should have the answers. Is this a reasonable expectation?

Thanks!

Vehicles
      a van
      04-01-2010 02:57 PM #75
      subscribed.

sorry if this has been covered somewhere before, saw it only fleetingly on another post:

so the parking/city lights CANNOT be activated as the only DRLs operating unless some wiring is done?

Modified by evosky at 12:43 PM 4-1-2010

twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

6. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      04-01-2010 07:20 PM #76
      Quote, originally posted by Skiziks »
      Dana, I don't know if this helps, but I just ran down to the parking lot to confirm, but my Canadian spec MkVI GTI with DSG, does not require me to have the brake depressed to engage the starter.

I've sent you my scan previously, and now knowing this, perhaps a comparison of my scan to Desmo_Pilot's would reveal something helpful?

I can compare my Gti to your scan. Thanks for the feedback, I assumed they all required this foot on brake prerequisite.

Dana,

I hear folks all over the forums mentioning this and that little VAG-COM trick. No specific details, just mostly "I did this".

With that said, there seems to be a growing number of things possible that I don't find in your initial list on this thread or in the thread generally.

Since I was expecting this to be the "be all, end all" location for coding tweaks, will you be updating and maintaining this list?

I hate asking folks for their guidance, when this forum should have the answers. Is this a reasonable expectation?

Thanks!

Yes it is reasonable. However there are only so many tweaks possible and like you mentioned, "I did this" doesn't mean anything to me without scan data. I don't want to post anything that hasn't been tested or could that result in vehicle or module damage.

I updated the initial post. If anyone has any contributions or suggestions I'll gladly take them.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

7. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      04-01-2010 07:30 PM #77
      Quote, originally posted by evosky »
      subscribed.

sorry if this has been covered somewhere before, saw it only fleetingly on another post:

so the parking/city lights CANNOT be activated as the only DRLs operating unless some wiring is done?

The front Parking lights (M1 and M3 - in the headlights) and the side marker / parking lights (M33 and M34 - Front bumper) share the same wire feed per side of the vehicle.

If someone wanted to really reconfigure those circuits, sure anything is possible..but this would not be done with coding alone.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI / 2001 Audi TT Roadster (225) / 1982 Jetta Diesel
      04-01-2010 08:05 PM #78

The front Parking lights (M1 and M3 - in the headlights) and the side marker / parking lights (M33 and M34 - Front bumper) share the same wire feed per side of the vehicle.

If someone wanted to really reconfigure those circuits, sure anything is possible..but this would not be done with coding alone.

What if we didn't mind the side markers being on too?

I'm still trying to justify the $350 to myself. So the more I can tweak the better.

DRIVE: 2010 Golf TDI - 5K129L. 5R5R. 3FE, W79, 9W2, P83, 9VE, P71.
      DRIVE (less): 2001 TT Roadster
      PARK: 1982 Jetta Diesel

maxhedrm.montebellopark.com/blog

Vehicles
      2010/VW/GTI 4dr CSG mt
      04-02-2010 02:50 PM #79
      Quote, originally posted by MaxHedrm »

What if we didn't mind the side markers being on too?

I'm still trying to justify the $350 to myself. So the more I can tweak the better.

Ordered mine today. Had to think about it for a day or two. I came to the conclusion that the VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface is a must have.

Vehicles
      04 R32
      04-05-2010 09:33 PM #80
      Quote, originally posted by MaxHedrm »

Haha, after one or two trips to the dealer because of whatever light on the dash, having to wait for an hour or two be be taken care of.....or maybe even charged $100 for 1 hour of labor when they only take 10 minutes......You will only wish that you spent the $350 and saved a lot of time and money in the future.

DareK

Vehicles
      VAG 2.0T
      04-06-2010 01:26 PM #81
      So if we didn't mind have the side markers on or we were planning on taking the bulbs out, it is possible to code the DRLs to city lights (and fogs)? Thanks!
      Stage II+ Mk6 GTI

12. 04-07-2010 11:22 AM #82
      Quote, originally posted by Stein »
      So if we didn't mind have the side markers on or we were planning on taking the bulbs out, it is possible to code the DRLs to city lights (and fogs)? Thanks!

Another problem, as I see it, is in using the Euro Switch and the Park Light position as DRLs also means the dash lights are on continuously, as are the tail lights. Since I'm required to have "lights on", it means running all of those lights just so the "city/parking" light can be my forward facing DRL. It just doesn't seem reasonable. I'm no longer sure it's even worth the Euro Switch for rear fog, cause that to me seems like its own only really useful purpose. Make sense?

This is all rubbish of course, if you can have DRL's without turning on the Euro Switch to the park/city position at all, much like the current NA setup?

13. 04-07-2010 01:01 PM #83
      why is it that i am unable to get in to many of these areas in my Golf TDI?

14. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      04-07-2010 08:43 PM #84
      Quote, originally posted by Stein »

The simple answer is no, not possible with coding alone. If someone already has a vehicle configured for Xenon lights and wanted to get creative with wiring, I think an overlay wiring harness and coding might be possible. I realize Bentley Publishers does not have 2010 wiring and repair info yet, but erWin might.

Another problem, as I see it, is in using the Euro Switch and the Park Light position as DRLs also means the dash lights are on continuously, as are the tail lights. Since I'm required to have "lights on", it means running all of those lights just so the "city/parking" light can be my forward facing DRL. It just doesn't seem reasonable. I'm no longer sure it's even worth the Euro Switch for rear fog, cause that to me seems like its own only really useful purpose. Make sense?

This is all rubbish of course, if you can have DRL's without turning on the Euro Switch to the park/city position at all, much like the current NA setup?

Yes, I have my Euro switch wired with the extra overlay to the BCM and I left the coding alone. My DRL's work as equipped from the factory when the switch is in the Off position. The extra feature is the ability to turn on the parking lights only with the new position, the On position is the same.

Quote, originally posted by Bob Sacamano »
      why is it that i am unable to get in to many of these areas in my Golf TDI?

What module are you having problems with? Are the vehicle doors unlocked? Please create a new thread and post an AutoScan if you need assistance.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

15. 04-07-2010 10:30 PM #85

Yes, I have my Euro switch wired with the extra overlay to the BCM and I left the coding alone. My DRL's work as equipped from the factory when the switch is in the Off position. The extra feature is the ability to turn on the parking lights only with the new position, the On position is the same.

Well like I said, "all rubbish". That's great news. Could you explain what "wired with the extra overlay to the BCM" means?

My goal is: DRLs as required by law (coded to front fogs, Euroswitch in "off" position), parking lights only via switch, parking lights and fogs via switch, all forward lights, rear fog in any combination except DRL.

It sounds like to accomplish this I: leave my DRL coding to fogs, install the Euroswitch, wire the extra overlay to the BCM (simple I hope) and code with VAG-COM for rear fog. Do I have it?

Thanks Dana.

16. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      04-07-2010 11:35 PM #86
      Basically yes with the rear fog exception. I just installed the Euro. LED tails in my car and all of the normal lights are working. Normal including one Right side reverse light, turn signals, tail lights, brake lights, and no faults stored.

The rear fog is not sorted out at this time. Keep in mind that you will only have one reverse light if you purchase a rear fog equipped light package.

You can run the wire from the headlight switch to the BCM, leave the coding alone, and everything should work properly with your factory rear lights. I worked with Joe and he has a good bit of detail here regarding the wire installation.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4724268

I have some old switch info here, but it certainly isn't a DIY.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...53230

If you want to add the rear fog trigger wire from the switch while you are in there, I might suggest going from T10h/7 (headlight switch connector) to A/17 (Central Electronics, Black connector). You would want to purchase an extra wire for that. I do not have a time frame for any further info on the rear fog. When I have it finished I'll post a DIY.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

17. 04-08-2010 06:19 AM #87
      Hey Dana

Great thread, keep it coming

Just installed Golf R LED lights on my ride my GTI Like yours, everything works fine except for the fog light malfunction indicator on the dash. Took it to the local VW dealers for some coding and they fddled around with it for long time and finally they managed to resolve the fog light out warning BUT caused other problems

Now instead of having all 4 lights on (inner 2 and outer 2 rear lights on) when my lights are on, i am only having the inner 2 lights (on the trunk) come on. However when i hit the brakes, all 4 lights come on, as it should. Am also getting errors on my MFD saying my rear outer lights are not working

Any idea how i can restore the coding to the way it was before? I think i can live with the fog light error but i certainly cant live without my outer 2 rear lights. Looks rather lame now and this is so shameful for a brilliant set of R LED lights

any help is appreciated

18. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      04-08-2010 12:30 PM #88
      Zachary, it looks like you are a registered Ross-Tech customer. Please send us a current AutoScan from this vehicle. I cannot promise a rear fog fix at this time. It definitely sounds like the coding is incorrect and we should be able to sort the normal lights out.

If you send the scan, please include the OEM part numbers you installed and if you have a Right or Left side rear fog light.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

Vehicles
      07 Eos 07 Caddy Camper 76 Bug 56 Bug
      04-08-2010 08:44 PM #89
      hello, what a cool thread.

Has anyone got their rain-sensing auto window close working like the mkV?

We have a MY'10 Eos which runs mk6 electrics. Dana I was experimenting with the DRLs yesterday (it has halogens and fogs) but wife said if I didn't come into the house for dinner she'd feed it to the dog
      So I'll try again tonight starting at an earlier time

20. 04-08-2010 09:18 PM #90
      Hi Dana

Yes i am. Have sent you an IM

thanks!

Vehicles
      04-09-2010 04:29 AM #91
      Just tried Halogen DRL as fogs as posted in post#1

Fogs as Daytime Running Lights suggestion for Halogen equipped vehicles, NOT TESTED
      If this is successful on Halogen vehicles please update this thread.
      Disable Factory Halogen DRL's in Byte 15 - un-check "Daytime Running Lights (via separate lights) active"
      Byte 14, Bit 1 - Manually modify the binary value from a "0" to a "1"

And it worked. THis is a MY'10 Eos

However it also brings on the parking lights on the car. I was hoping it would be fogs only.
      Doesn't matter. In Australia it's illegal to run fogs in fine weather so we won't be using this feature. DRL is not required here yet so we'll just leave it. But for those who like this configuration, just change Bit 1 from 0 to 1 in Byte 14 and it will work.

22. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      04-10-2010 12:39 AM #92
      Quote, originally posted by Lams »
      hello, what a cool thread.

Has anyone got their rain-sensing auto window close working like the mkV?

I haven't received any reports of successful rain sensing windows activation.

We have a MY'10 Eos which runs mk6 electrics. Dana I was experimenting with the DRLs yesterday (it has halogens and fogs) but wife said if I didn't come into the house for dinner she'd feed it to the dog
      So I'll try again tonight starting at an earlier time

I got a good laugh out of that one

Just tried Halogen DRL as fogs as posted in post#1

Fogs as Daytime Running Lights suggestion for Halogen equipped vehicles, NOT TESTED
      If this is successful on Halogen vehicles please update this thread.
      Disable Factory Halogen DRL's in Byte 15 - un-check "Daytime Running Lights (via separate lights) active"
      Byte 14, Bit 1 - Manually modify the binary value from a "0" to a "1"

And it worked. THis is a MY'10 Eos

However it also brings on the parking lights on the car. I was hoping it would be fogs only.
      Doesn't matter. In Australia it's illegal to run fogs in fine weather so we won't be using this feature. DRL is not required here yet so we'll just leave it. But for those who like this configuration, just change Bit 1 from 0 to 1 in Byte 14 and it will work.

Thanks for the update, I wasn't expecting the parking lights to illuminate. Do they all turn on, front and rear, or just the front lights?

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

23. 04-10-2010 01:35 AM #93
      Subscribed

Vehicles
      04-10-2010 01:45 AM #94

Thanks for the update, I wasn't expecting the parking lights to illuminate. Do they all turn on, front and rear, or just the front lights?

Yeah, front and rear, same as if I had my switch on parkers and front fogs.

The other DRL mode is low beam, also with parkers front and back.

How do your DRLs work in NA? our mk6 Golfs here have something like a 21W bulb at the front as DRL. Once you put on your parkers then it becomes dim like a 5W bulb. When in DRL mode the other parkers are all switched off.
      The first batch of bi-xenon equipped cars are arriving and VW is delivering them with parkers and low beam xenon on at all times

25. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      04-11-2010 11:14 AM #95

Yeah, front and rear, same as if I had my switch on parkers and front fogs.

The other DRL mode is low beam, also with parkers front and back.

Thanks for the explanation. Would you mind creating a new thread and posting an Auto-Scan so I can take a look at it? If I come up with any Rain sensing window coding configurations, I can update that post.

How do your DRLs work in NA? our mk6 Golfs here have something like a 21W bulb at the front as DRL. Once you put on your parkers then it becomes dim like a 5W bulb. When in DRL mode the other parkers are all switched off.
      The first batch of bi-xenon equipped cars are arriving and VW is delivering them with parkers and low beam xenon on at all times

My Gti has Xenon lights and the DRL's are setup from the factory to run the low beam Xenon lights only, no Parking or Tail lights on. They turn off when you apply the parking brake.

The Halogen equipped vehicles are very similar but the low beam runs at 80-85% intensity. That can be adjusted via coding.

From the factory, we have a two position Head Light switch. 1) Off and this is the DRL position. 2) ON and all of the exterior lights (including interior illumination) are on.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

26. 04-11-2010 08:04 PM #96
      Dana,

Is there a way to disable cold diagnostic for the fog lights and the headlights?

thank you

Vehicles
      04-11-2010 09:59 PM #97
      Thanks Dana. Somebody did it wrong and now a few owners are not happy.

I brought the car back to my mother over the weekend but I'll be there sometime this week to get the auto-scan it.

Perhaps the intensity required by the DRLs in NA is higher than Euro spec

28. 04-12-2010 01:58 AM #98
      Fogs as DRLs worked for me too.

Parking-, tail- and licence plate lights are lit as well.

The coding was done on a MY'10 Seat Altea (5P), car equipped with euroswitch of course.

For me the perfect case would be low beam or fogs as DRLs and no other light lit up but I don't see this happening.

29. 04-12-2010 10:48 AM #99
      Dana,

Here's a new challenge for you. It seems to replace the RCD510 with the RNS510 involves disconnecting (by lowering the headliner - ouch!) the compass module from the MFD.

Surely VAG-COM could handle this via programming rather than getting into disconnecting "wires".

Any ideas?

Chris

30. 04-12-2010 04:43 PM #100
      subscribe

31. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      04-12-2010 11:02 PM #101
      Quote, originally posted by dimitrisTSI »
      Fogs as DRLs worked for me too.

Parking-, tail- and licence plate lights are lit as well.

The coding was done on a MY'10 Seat Altea (5P), car equipped with euroswitch of course.

For me the perfect case would be low beam or fogs as DRLs and no other light lit up but I don't see this happening.

Thanks for the update. I found a scan from your vehicle here and I think the lighting behavior is due to the Byte 18 coding. I am not suggesting messing with it, just my theory.

Dana,

Here's a new challenge for you. It seems to replace the RCD510 with the RNS510 involves disconnecting (by lowering the headliner - ouch!) the compass module from the MFD.

Surely VAG-COM could handle this via programming rather than getting into disconnecting "wires".

Any ideas?

Chris

Very unlikely. You can code modules out but if they are plugged in, they talk.

Loosening the headliner and "C" pillars isn't too bad.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

32. 04-13-2010 01:26 AM #102
      I'm not sure, I can check at some point, but I'm pretty sure that the value at Byte 18 is the default one.

You mean that changing Byte 18 would not allow us to recode fogs as DRLs or that's why parking-, tail - and licence plate lights are lit as well?

Pls have in mind that although my car has the same central electronic module as the MK6 Golf (1K0937086C) because it doesn't psysically have seperate lights for the DRLs (unlike the Golfs) when I recode it to "DRL with seperate light" nothing happens. That's why I coded it to "DRL with Low Beam" and now "DRL with fogs".

Really looking forward to next tweaks

33. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      04-13-2010 11:16 PM #103
      Dimitris,

I coded my module with your Byte 18 value and duplicated the same results. I had several rear lamp faults, but the Parking, Tails, and Fogs were all on as described. I am NOT suggesting modifying that on your vehicle but I'm pretty confident that this is the nature of the beast. I don't think we have a work around.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

34. 04-14-2010 04:06 AM #104
      Dana thanks for your reply.

Nevertheless I've read in other forums that there have been some mishaps to people messing with Byte 18.

I've also read that you can code CH/LH with the fogs (Byte 17, bit 3). Wanna give this a try ? I don't know for sure if this works with a specific combination of other Bytes/bits.

Pls have a look at this: http://www.seatforum.de/forum/...age=2

Sebastian can help you with his german.

Vehicles
      '80 Rabbit, '82 Caddy, 2010 GTI
      04-14-2010 08:55 AM #105
      Dana,

Any ideas?

Chris

The module is actually only attached using Velcro to the underside of the roof. I was able to remove the rear trim only and reach inside the headliner and pull it far enough out to release the plug. I then just put it back in (disconnected) for safekeeping

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast