VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

VCDS MKVI / MK6 Platform, Handy Coding tweaks

1M views 1K replies 301 participants last post by  Bentiem 
#1 · (Edited)
Ross-Tech is not responsible for any damage or problems that may result from following these instructions. They are to be used at your own risk. The Ross-Tech Wiki platform specific tweaks pages have replaced the contents in this post. This thread is active for general discussion.

1. It is always recommended to perform a complete Auto-Scan and save it prior to coding changes. Please see the Online Manual: Auto Scan Screen
  2. Never Copy coding from a different vehicle and Paste it to your module(s).
  3. All Auto-Scans must be posted using the current release of VCDS which is found Here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:

Address 09 - Central Electronics:

1. If this module does not communicate, unlock all vehicle doors and try again.

2. Byte 18 *Do Not alter this if you are not retrofitting rear lights*

Address 46 - Central Conv.:

• The 46-Cent. Conv. module does not really exist on the 2010 Golf (or other Mk6 type vehicles). All functions formerly found in 46 have been integrated into the (BCM) 09-Cent Elect. We think a "virtual" entry for 46 is still included in the Gateway Installation List for compatibility reasons (internal communications with other modules in the car).

Address 55 - Xenon Range

• It may be possible to enable a Tourist Mode feature via the MFA as shown in this example Travel Mode. Registered customers will need to contact us directly for assistance and have a legitimate need for this feature, such as traveling to another country where driving in the opposite side of the road is necessary.

Address 62 - Door, Rear Left:

• Later production MK6 platform vehicles may use rear door modules that are integrated in the front much like 46 is integrated in 09. We think a "virtual" entry for 46 is still included in the Gateway Installation List for compatibility reasons (internal communications with other modules in the car).

Address 72 - Door, Rear Right:

• Same applies from Address - 62 above.

Address 56 - Radio:

• The newer RNS-315 does not communicate with a scan tool. Use address 37-Navigation (J794) instead.

Retrofits:

• Retrofitting information is available on the Ross-Tech Wiki:
    Retrofitting Page

• RoW Vehicle, Retrofit indirect TPMS using coding only:
    How to: retrofit indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring in 5 minutes. (7K6)
    Depending on the Instrument cluster that's installed, Byte 2, Bit 0 may need turned On = 1 for the TPMS light/icon to work. The current VCDS includes this documentation in the Long Coding Helper

Side notes:
    • M.Y. 2010 BCM equipped US market vehicles used the 65-TPMS module, which was simply an additional function of the 09-Cent. Elect. module, with TPMS sensors mounted in each wheel.
    • Starting in M.Y. 2011 the U.S. market 1K/AJ vehicles now use the ABS style of TPMS mentioned in the thread above. They have the TPMS reset button from the factory.

• NAR Vehicle, European switch retrofit:
    DIY - Wiring a Euro Headlight Switch to run parking lights

• NAR Vehicle, Alarm Siren retrofit:
    DIY: Alarm Siren Install

• NAR Golf / Gti LED Tail Light retrofit:

Forum discussion about coding and installing LED lights and Byte 18 coding can be found here: LED tail Install with or without Rear Fog

2012 Golf R and 2012 Separate LED DRL type Xenon Golf models should also see Tom's notes on the extra wire swap. Notes on LED Tail / Rear Fog Install

Most NAR vehicles retrofitting the rear fog lamp with factory/incandescent configuration can choose the standard RoW selection in the Long Coding Helper. They need to swap wires as mentioned in the above links and the following should be helpful: Non-LED Rear Fog Light

If you cannot find the coding configuration after reading the various forum sources, Registered Ross-Tech customers can send us complete Auto-Scans with "LED Tail Light retrofit" in the subject line. Please include the part number of all four lights, RH or LH drive vehicle details, and with or w/o a rear fog lamp.

• NAR Jetta LED Tail Light retrofit:
    This is still a work in progress, but forum discussion about coding and installing LED lights and Byte 18 coding can be found here: 2010 Jetta LED Tail Coding

• NAR Golf / Gti Auto Headlights and RLS retrofit:
    Tips related to Coding and Adaptation on a US 2010 Market Gti can be found here: Adding Rain and Light Sensor

• Door Warning Lights retrofit:
    Installing Door Waring Lights involves wiring and coding. Coding for the latest door modules is documented in the current release of VCDS but there are two styles of door modules as noted above. The production split for NAR vehicles was in 2010:

1. If the vehicle has the conventional modules all 4 will communicate independently using addresses 42, 52, 62 and 72. In these cases connect to each module and add the "Door Exit/Warning Light installed" (typically + 64) value to the existing short coding. Ex: If the short coding was 0001204 add 64 for a new value of 0001268.
    2. If the vehicle uses the newer (UDS) style of modules only the front modules will communicate using addresses 42 and 52. Each rear module can be accessed and long coded from the respective right/left front module. Select the front (master) or rear (sub-system) module from the drop down list and use the long coding helper to configure "Door Exit/Warning Light installed" by checking the box and saving the new coding.

• Mirror down in reverse
    Mirror down in reverse is generally not possible with coding alone if the car did not have this feature from production. This typically involves/requires:

1. Coding the 09-Cent. Elect. module for the option.
    2. The pair of front window motors/door module addresses 42-Door Elect, Driver -and- 52-Door Elect, Pass. capable of and coded for this feature.
    3. The exterior passenger mirror assembly with memory capability and additional wiring from that mirror to the door module.

Ross-Tech does not have a complete list of the door modules that support this. If you need assistance determining what parts are required please contact your local dealer or parts distributor.

General:

Using the Long Coding Helper when checkboxes are not present

Several of the convenience settings can be changed from the MFI without a scan tool. VW has this site for all models:
http://www.ownerwelcome.com

Testing:

If anyone wants to test this additional menu, please post your scan.

Auto-Close

Explained in detail by Mr.Timewise Here

Dana's Scan
A3 feedback
Mk6 door warning lights
[color=#000080 & [color=#404040 [/color]

See less See more
#52 ·
Re: (TATGUY)

Quote, originally posted by TATGUY »
How do you run the fogs as your DRL's for a MKVI Golf Wagon TDI?
Thanks.

Please start a new thread and post your complete AutoScan. This has been tested on HID vehicles, but not Halogen equipped HL systems. I can give you a suggestion based on the original coding.

#53 ·
Re: VCDS MKVI / MK6 Platform, Handy Coding tweaks (Dana @ Ross-Tech)

Quote, originally posted by Dana @ Ross-Tech »

Not that I'm aware of.

Thanks Dana...

#58 ·
Re: (dhambrick)

Quote, originally posted by dhambrick »

Changing the color scheme of the radio (Highline, Sportline, Premium) had no effect on the display color of the radio. Anybody successfully changed their (NA) display?

Yes, you have to physically reset the unit to make the change. I BELIEVE you have to hold the eject, and < > buttons at the top of the unit to reset it. Hope this helps.

#60 ·
Re: (Scott Evil)

Quote, originally posted by Scott Evil »
^^Correct. This only works (changing the theme) on the RNS510, not the RCD510.

So do you change it in VAGCom first, or just use the manual method?
Thanks!

#62 ·
Re: (Dana @ Ross-Tech)

I replied to your email. Let me know if the DRL's moved to the Fog lights as expected.

DRLs moved to fogs as expected. This change seemed to create a unintentional behavior with the door locks. Normally, removing the key from the ignition "unlocked" all doors, hatch & fuel door. That function is no longer active. Key removal has no affect. No other changes were made. I'd like the key function back though.

#63 ·
Re: (Skiziks)

Quote, originally posted by Skiziks »

DRLs moved to fogs as expected. This change seemed to create a unintentional behavior with the door locks. Normally, removing the key from the ignition "unlocked" all doors, hatch & fuel door. That function is no longer active. Key removal has no affect. No other changes were made. I'd like the key function back though.

Both of the Bits we changed were lighting only. The auto unlock can be configured 3 ways. -Long coding, -Adaptation, and via the dash and -MFA controls.
My guess is that the adaptation value changed because Auto-Unlock was not enabled in the coding of the scan I have, pre-mod. Check the MFA settings and let me know if it’s off. You can post the current long coding from 09 if this isn't resolved.

My adaptation value explanation is...After unrelated coding changes, I lose my comfort windows...and have to re-enable it via adaptation channel 6, but this only happens half of the time. I suspect it's a module bug.

#64 ·
Re: (Dana @ Ross-Tech)

Both of the Bits we changed were lighting only. The auto unlock can be configured 3 ways. -Long coding, -Adaptation, and via the dash and -MFA controls.
My guess is that the adaptation value changed because Auto-Unlock was not enabled in the coding of the scan I have, pre-mod. Check the MFA settings and let me know if it’s off. You can post the current long coding from 09 if this isn't resolved.

My adaptation value explanation is...After unrelated coding changes, I lose my comfort windows...and have to re-enable it via adaptation channel 6, but this only happens half of the time. I suspect it's a module bug.

My bad.

MFA resolved the issue.
Now if I could only get the City (parking) light under the xenon lamps to function as my DRL . . . .

#66 ·
Re: (slicccknut)

My bad.

MFA resolved the issue.

Good deal! I'll add the details to my first post for Xenon vehicles, "Fogs as DRL's". Looks like we need a Halogen vehicle to test this on.

Quote, originally posted by slicccknut »
Do anyone on here knows where i could go to have all of this vag-com coding done to my MK6 GTI.. some where in NJ area.. pls plz..

Try here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1427299
http://www.vagtoolfinder.com

#67 ·
Re: (Stein)

Quote, originally posted by Stein »

Yes, you have to physically reset the unit to make the change. I BELIEVE you have to hold the eject, and < > buttons at the top of the unit to reset it. Hope this helps.

What are the different color themes?

#68 ·

Dana,
Do you know if there is a way to turn off the requirement to hold the brake pedal down when starting a Mk 6 GTI?
I purchased a Mk 6 GTI and a 2010 JSW TDI for my wife. The JSW does not require the brake pedal to be pressed and and I find it very annoying to have to do this with the GTI. So, hoping there is a way to turn this off.
BTW, both cars have DSG.
Thanks!
Kyle

#69 ·
Re: (Skiziks)

Now if I could only get the City (parking) light under the xenon lamps to function as my DRL . . . .

I wish we could figure this out as well.
For the RNS themes, there is the stock red one, a green one, and a black version with red accents that I have mine set to.

#70 ·
Re: VCDS MKVI / MK6 Platform, Handy Coding tweaks (Desmo_Pilot)

Quote, originally posted by Desmo_Pilot »
Dana,
Do you know if there is a way to turn off the requirement to hold the brake pedal down when starting a Mk 6 GTI?
I purchased a Mk 6 GTI and a 2010 JSW TDI for my wife. The JSW does not require the brake pedal to be pressed and and I find it very annoying to have to do this with the GTI. So, hoping there is a way to turn this off.
BTW, both cars have DSG.
Thanks!
Kyle

Not that I'm aware of. I personally don't like it either. I can understand the safety concern with a manual and the clutch pedal...but the Auto. trans when it is clearly in Park?
Comparing the Jetta Tdi and the Gti might not lead me anywhere but send auto scans of both vehicles so I can compare the modules and coding. http://www.ross-tech.com/contact.html

#852 ·
Dana,
BTW, both cars have DSG.
Thanks!
Kyle

Not that I'm aware of. I personally don't like it either. I can understand the safety concern with a manual and the clutch pedal...but the Auto. trans when it is clearly in Park?
Comparing the Jetta Tdi and the Gti might not lead me anywhere but send auto scans of both vehicles so I can compare the modules and coding. http://www.ross-tech.com/contact.html
My 2011 GTI (purch Nov 2010) does not require holding brake pedal to start as delivered with DSG.

#72 ·
Re: VCDS MKVI / MK6 Platform, Handy Coding tweaks (Desmo_Pilot)

Dana,
BTW, both cars have DSG.

That's odd. My TDI DSG does not have this quirk. Starts right up with a turn of the key.

Modified by sfpegasus at 11:18 AM 3-31-2010

#73 ·

Dana, I don't know if this helps, but I just ran down to the parking lot to confirm, but my Canadian spec MkVI GTI with DSG, does not require me to have the brake depressed to engage the starter.
I've sent you my scan previously, and now knowing this, perhaps a comparison of my scan to Desmo_Pilot's would reveal something helpful?

#74 ·
Re: VCDS MKVI / MK6 Platform, Handy Coding tweaks (DawnsKayBug)

Dana,
I hear folks all over the forums mentioning this and that little VAG-COM trick. No specific details, just mostly "I did this".
With that said, there seems to be a growing number of things possible that I don't find in your initial list on this thread or in the thread generally.
Since I was expecting this to be the "be all, end all" location for coding tweaks, will you be updating and maintaining this list?
I hate asking folks for their guidance, when this forum should have the answers. Is this a reasonable expectation?
Thanks!

#75 ·
subscribed.
sorry if this has been covered somewhere before, saw it only fleetingly on another post:
so the parking/city lights CANNOT be activated as the only DRLs operating unless some wiring is done?

Modified by evosky at 12:43 PM 4-1-2010

#76 ·
Re: VCDS MKVI / MK6 Platform, Handy Coding tweaks (Skiziks)

Dana, I don't know if this helps, but I just ran down to the parking lot to confirm, but my Canadian spec MkVI GTI with DSG, does not require me to have the brake depressed to engage the starter.
I've sent you my scan previously, and now knowing this, perhaps a comparison of my scan to Desmo_Pilot's would reveal something helpful?

I can compare my Gti to your scan. Thanks for the feedback, I assumed they all required this foot on brake prerequisite.
Dana,
I hear folks all over the forums mentioning this and that little VAG-COM trick. No specific details, just mostly "I did this".
With that said, there seems to be a growing number of things possible that I don't find in your initial list on this thread or in the thread generally.
Since I was expecting this to be the "be all, end all" location for coding tweaks, will you be updating and maintaining this list?
I hate asking folks for their guidance, when this forum should have the answers. Is this a reasonable expectation?
Thanks!

Yes it is reasonable. However there are only so many tweaks possible and like you mentioned, "I did this" doesn't mean anything to me without scan data. I don't want to post anything that hasn't been tested or could that result in vehicle or module damage.
I updated the initial post. If anyone has any contributions or suggestions I'll gladly take them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.