VWVortex

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The vinyl thread

1. 05-16-2012 11:22 PM #491
      sleep reissue.....

2. Senior Member
      05-18-2012 09:03 AM #492
      Record store closing in CT.

I used to shop there and my wife thought it was a neat store. I just sent the following to my wife and two friends:

"Noooo!

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...0,611734.story

More on the main page: http://www.courant.com/.

At New Haven register, too:

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...1798662397.txt

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2...6355195656.txt "

The first time we were in there in 1988 my future wife put on headphones to ear something she was interested in buying. She just screamed, "IT'S SO LOUD!" as though it was playing in the store and she had to scream it for me to hear her. It was very funny.

Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32 DeepBluePerleffekt (B5R)
      05-20-2012 09:17 PM #493
      i finally got my own copy of Joe Strummer's Earthquake Weather('89)
      i bought a copy on CD back when it was new, i never knew it had also been available on vinyl.i found a seller online w/a near perfect condition copy

i also bought a mint,sealed copy of Kittie's 2009 album,'Into The Black' wow,it's good.i have most of their early catalog on CD,and this seems to be their only album that is available on vinyl .i was pleasantly surprised to find that it is also a 180gm pressing--there was no mention of it on the packaging
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Continental DWS A/S tires on stock Aristos w/ VW Racing center caps.Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads.Satin Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

Vehicles
      06-12-2012 02:22 PM #494
      last weekend's last flea market event of the spring/summer
      i found :
      Tom Waits- Heartattack & Vine
      Steely Dan- Greatest Hits '72-'78
      ZZ Top- Greatest Hits (early)
      Rolling Stones- Some Girls ~ catalog # COC-39108--the Stones album is a strange one .i already have a copy of this recording,but this particular copy has a totally different color outer jacket than mine weird!
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Continental DWS A/S tires on stock Aristos w/ VW Racing center caps.Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads.Satin Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6
      06-12-2012 04:06 PM #495
      Quote Originally Posted by gruppe-b View Post
      Rolling Stones- Some Girls ~ catalog # COC-39108--the Stones album is a strange one .i already have a copy of this recording,but this particular copy has a totally different color outer jacket than mine weird!
      Does the new copy you bought have the faces of the famous celebs and paler in colour, or is it the one with the brighter colours? It was released originaly with the pale coloured cover then switched.

Vehicles
      06-12-2012 05:55 PM #496
      the copy i just bought has much more muted colors on the outer jacket~same exact bold colors on the inner sleeve.it's kinda grey and pale pink striped on the front.the celebrity pics all have bright pink eyes.
      the hand-me-down copy i got from my older brother has really bold,bright colors on the outer jacket,same inner sleeve w/ pink eyed celebs.

i researched them on Discogs and they both seem to be for the EU/Spain market..i have no clue how i managed to get 2 copies of it in the USA?

so,you think it's just an early pressing,then? good to know.that info was not posted anywhere on that site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5228068...in/photostream
      my old copy is on left--new copy is on right.the colors still don't show up right in this photo.the rows alternate between light grey stripes and a kind of 'peach' colored stripe.
      that's why i bought this copy,it was so different than my other one;i figured it must be somewhat special.i'd never seen any copies that weren't like the bright-colored ones.
      Last edited by gruppe-b; 06-13-2012 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added photo link
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

06-15-2012 12:22 AM #497
      In the last week.

Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill. Only had the tape as a kid, finally got it on vinyl

INXS - Kick

Huey Lewis and the News - Sports (From the free bin )

Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6
      06-17-2012 05:45 AM #498
      the copy i just bought has much more muted colors on the outer jacket~same exact bold colors on the inner sleeve.it's kinda grey and pale pink striped on the front.the celebrity pics all have bright pink eyes.
      the hand-me-down copy i got from my older brother has really bold,bright colors on the outer jacket,same inner sleeve w/ pink eyed celebs.

i researched them on Discogs and they both seem to be for the EU/Spain market..i have no clue how i managed to get 2 copies of it in the USA?

so,you think it's just an early pressing,then? good to know.that info was not posted anywhere on that site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5228068...in/photostreamL
      my old copy is on left--new copy is on right.the colors still don't show up right in this photo.the rows alternate between light grey stripes and a kind of 'peach' colored stripe.
      that's why i bought this copy,it was so different than my other one;i figured it must be somewhat special.i'd never seen any copies that weren't like the bright-colored ones.
      Unless your pressing identifies it specifically as a Euro or Spanish import, there's no reason to assume that's where they are from, because the NA releases were the same.

I notice that both copies do not have the celebrity faces, so they are not original releases. The one you recently bought was probably an early reissue after they made the switch, and the other is the cover they eventually settled on and use up to today for all releases.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Civic, 1986 Thunderbird TC
      06-18-2012 12:58 AM #499
      Just picked these up on Amazon tonight.

Agollach - whitedivisiongrey

Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters

Coliseum - House with a Curse
      I've got a bunch of high end vintage audio gear I'm clearing out, restored Marantz 4270 - better than new condition; Pioneer SX-5590, 8/10; Concept 16.5, 8/10 cosmetically - 10/10 function. Various high end vintage speakers: Rectilinear Research, AR, Kenwood, Infinity, McIntosh, Leslie 251. PM me for details, clearing out to finance home theater upgrade.

Vehicles
      2005 Dodge stratus SXT Coupe
      08-01-2012 06:18 PM #500
      i've had my collection in storage forever due to my record player busting.... and i'm cheap... lol
      ended up finding this at a thrift shop for $40. it doesn't sound awesome, but it's better then nothing, and had a brand new needle to boot.

have all my records in this dooder

no pictures of the vinyl unfortunately, but 80s, jazz, some newer stuff etc. i need to get more...asap... lol
      "Play a Windows CD backwards and hear scary messages. Thats nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows"
      Homebrewers of the 'tex. Join us! Home brewers CHECK IN please!

08-10-2012 01:18 PM #501
      Guys, what record shops do you recommend in Seattle?

I'm looking for used, 80's and 90's rock/metal/rap. I was told about Easy Street Records, their site looks pretty good, but how is the used selection?

08-25-2012 12:37 AM #502
      I had time off this week so I built a LP stand.

Got the plans here, using 1 sheet of plywood. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=337891
      With the plan you can get 3 cuts done at Home Depot and get the pieces into a car instead of having to using a van or truck to haul a 4 x 8'.
      I added 2" wheels to it. I can't imagine trying to move the thing around too easily without it. Cost of the good one side ply 3/4", 2 turning wheels, 2 straight wheels, screws, and wood glue was all about $65.

I just need some wood filler, then some sort of stain. Maybe some trim on the exposed ply.

Vehicles
      08-25-2012 01:36 PM #503
      i bought a batch of comedy albums from a local Philly guy on Discogs
      i got 3 Firesign Theater albums--

-How Can You Be In Two Places At Once,When You're Not Anywhere At All? (Nick Danger!)

-Don't Crush That Dwarf,Hand Me The Pliers (this one's the best!)

-Not Insane (very weird live recording )

i also bought a copy of Firesign's -The Tale of the Giant Rat of Sumatra.it's their twist on Sherlock Holmes mysteries i got it through Discogs from a guy in Kentucky.

this last one is one of my faves,but the record is badly warped,cupped actually.it must have been sitting loose in a rack ,tipped at a steep angle for years.my turntable can't track it
      i looked up "how to fix a warped record" online.i have it pressed under a heavy steel (baking) sheet with two heavy cases of water on top of it.the article says i should leave it like that for a few months time will tell if it fixes it or not.if that doesn't work,i'll have to track down another copy of it.
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

Vehicles
      SVO
      09-06-2012 04:12 PM #504
      I just got my first record player since I was a kid: a JVC AL-A158 that my wife's ex boyfriend bought for her back in the day. Basically never used! I'm already upgrading the cartridge and preamp, so this acquisition is already giving me new ways to spend money.

Starting out with kind of a lame-o collection, but It'll get big and weird once I start hitting the estate sales and flea markets.

The Essential Jimi Hendrix (double LP)
      The Black Keys - El Camino
      Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
      The Smiths - The Smiths
      Pearl Jam - Vitalogy (lost in my parents' house, but I'll find it)
      Rage Against the Machine - No Shelter (my only 45, also lost)
      Grizzly Bear - Shields (gold version on preorder)
      JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

Vehicles
      09-08-2012 10:41 PM #505
      Hi Art,
      i'm not familiar with that JVC 'table,what general era is it from?('70's or '80's or newer?)
      flea markets are where it's at! i've gotten some of my best record deals at them.i'm hitting 3 local ones in the next 6 weeks or so
      good luck with your vinyl shopping adventures.

also: i SVO's.my best friend used to have an '84 SVO back in the late '80's
      Last edited by gruppe-b; 09-08-2012 at 10:43 PM.
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

Vehicles
      09-20-2012 10:15 PM #506
      bought more vinyl!
      i got a new 40th anniv. 180gram re-issue of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars~~it is Excellent
      as a bonus,it comes with a high resolution DVD version of the album in both Dolby Digital and DTS.i listened to the DTS remasters,it was stunning. i was hoping it had some kind of live concert video content on the DVD,but it's just the music with a still picture

i found a near-mint copy of The Beatles 1967-1970 (blue album) it needed a few washes,but it sounds really good now

i found another (non-warped ) copy of Firesign Theater's 'The Tale of the Giant Rat of Sumatra',a copy of 'Dear Friends' (an early 'best of' compilation), and 'Waiting for the Electrician,or Someone Like Him'.i have all but 2 or 3 of their records--i can die happy,now

i found a near-mint copy of Creedence Clearwater Revival's 12" single cover of 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine'--their 10 minute-plus long jam version
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

17. 09-28-2012 08:48 AM #507
      For those interested: The Beatles remastered album set (CD - 2009) will be released on 180 gram vinyl on Nov 13th. This will be Stereo mix. Box set includes UK albums plus Mystery Tour and Blue compilation, storage case, reprinted LP inserts and book. Awesome!!

I'm debating waiting for a Mono release as I have the Stereo CD release already.

Recent pickups:
      - Jack White's latest album
      - random singles and releases from Thirdman Records

Vehicles
      2007 GT3 Cup, 2013 JSW TDI
      10-09-2012 12:21 PM #508
      Quote Originally Posted by B_artman View Post
      For those interested: The Beatles remastered album set (CD - 2009) will be released on 180 gram vinyl on Nov 13th. This will be Stereo mix. Box set includes UK albums plus Mystery Tour and Blue compilation, storage case, reprinted LP inserts and book. Awesome!!

I'm debating waiting for a Mono release as I have the Stereo CD release already.

Recent pickups:
      - Jack White's latest album
      - random singles and releases from Thirdman Records

I placed my order for the Stereo Mix as well as the Mono Mix, they should sound fantastic on Vinyl!! If you have the Stereo Mix on CD do yourself a favor and get the Mono set on CD too. There are places selling new sets for cheap! I have seen them NIB Sealed going for $150 bucks!
      Scratch that $107 bucks!!! http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/61...ono_Box_Set-CD
      Last edited by vego99; 10-09-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      10-14-2012 01:23 AM #509
      Quote Originally Posted by VWVan View Post
      I had time off this week so I built a LP stand.
      That's very, very cool.
      Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

Vehicles
      87 Cabby
      11-04-2012 02:26 PM #510
      Where do you guys find a majority of your records? I would love to start collecting.
      Follow me on Instagram

Vehicles
      11-10-2012 07:20 PM #511
      Hi Sean A,

you can find them on the Ebay,Craig's list,Discogs websites or any number of local flea markets.

every spring and fall,my town has a whole series of 5 or 6 flea markets at different locations.check your local neighborhood newspaper (Town Talk or County Times~not sure what your county's paper might be called ) or just hit up some local garage sales or block sales.folks are practically giving the old records away,lol.

also-- if you happen to be an old car fanatic (like me) check out some local car club swap meets--i've found that sometimes they'll have a flea market running at the same time as the car show.i've scored some great deals on records at car shows.lots of those folks dig old rock n roll
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 03:16 PM #512
      Got a call from my vinyl dealer, My Beatles Vinyl Box Set has arrived!! Will be picking it up tomorrow!!

23. 11-15-2012 08:38 AM #513
      Quote Originally Posted by vego99 View Post
      Got a call from my vinyl dealer, My Beatles Vinyl Box Set has arrived!! Will be picking it up tomorrow!!
      I ordered two, one for me and one for my dad. Both came yesterday and will be promptly returned later this week. Some moron at amazon shipping department thought it would be a great idea to ship it as is: no shipping box, no wrapping paper, no protection. Shipped as is in their original factory celophane with a shipping sticker slapped on. Picture going to a record store, grabbing a set off the shelf, slapping a sticker on and dropping it in the mailbox. Needless to say the celophane was destroyed, boxes scratched/ripped and corners mashed up and crushed. My jaw was on the ground when I found them on my doorstep. Now have to wait for new ones

Vehicles
      11-15-2012 02:47 PM #514
      I ordered two, one for me and one for my dad. Both came yesterday and will be promptly returned later this week. Some moron at amazon shipping department thought it would be a great idea to ship it as is: no shipping box, no wrapping paper, no protection. Shipped as is in their original factory celophane with a shipping sticker slapped on. Picture going to a record store, grabbing a set off the shelf, slapping a sticker on and dropping it in the mailbox. Needless to say the celophane was destroyed, boxes scratched/ripped and corners mashed up and crushed. My jaw was on the ground when I found them on my doorstep. Now have to wait for new ones

that sucks dude!! did amazon give you any trouble with returning them?

25. 11-16-2012 08:36 AM #515
      spoke with their customer support team and they are sending me two new replacement sets.. will see if they packed them this time.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      11-18-2012 05:42 AM #516
      spoke with their customer support team and they are sending me two new replacement sets.. will see if they packed them this time.
      reason #1 I won't buy vinyl sight unseen anymore.*

* If somebody can source me a sealed Dr. Octagon I'll buy it.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

27. 11-20-2012 01:23 PM #517
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      reason #1 I won't buy vinyl sight unseen anymore.*

* If somebody can source me a sealed Dr. Octagon I'll buy it.

not always possible... but yes, buying in person should always be the preferred method. Support your local record store

To close out the story: got two replacement packages. Each set in its own box, within a second box all filled with packing material. As it should have been the first time around.

Vehicles
      11-20-2012 07:32 PM #518
      hey guys,
      i'm on the fence with the Beatles boxset--i have read most of the blog/reviews on Amazon it seems like 85% of the folks that order them get a banged-up package delivered to their door.returns galore! i tried to post a comment on Amazon,but since i was new and had never ordered anything from them yet,it was disallowed--i tried to ask a serious question to those that had issues with their new remasters skipping --had they tried washing the defective discs before playing them ? i'm curious to know.it can make a big difference.
      in a similar kind of story,i had bought the new 180gr Ramones reissues last year and had 2 of the 4 that i bought skip badly.i had to wash them all very thoroughly,they stopped skipping and are some of the best hard rock recordings i own.

i've been considering the 1978 Beatles boxset collection that some people are dumping recently;presumably to purchase the new sets.

there is also the issue of the new Japanese pressings of the new reissues..i saw them on Best Buy's website just today~~for $79 or $80 for *each* album title (coming soon,it said)
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

Vehicles
      11-23-2012 11:08 PM #519
      on further reading,i see that the Japanese Beatle (ha!) presses are 'direct metal master' versions,not from the same lacquers as the current reissues.
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

30. 11-27-2012 01:14 PM #520
      I got all paranoid by the negative reviews and quality issues - opened up my package and each record. I did not see any scratches, deformaties or off center holes/stickers etc as experienced by some. One record had a finger print on it as though it was picked up by hand at the factory prior to packaging

That being said I have not spun them as these are my Christmas present and I am taking the risk to wait. LOL Will report back in a month I guess

Vehicles
      11-29-2012 07:32 PM #521
      hey,that's great to hear ,Bartman
      i'm anxious to hear your review
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

Vehicles
      12-17-2012 09:44 PM #522
      ok,i pulled the trigger and bought a Beatles box set tonight.should be getting it either just before or just after Xmas day i also bought a nice 16month Beatles calendar while i was shopping,lol. i bought it from Oldies.com--their giant warehouse is maybe 8 or 9 miles from my town--i figure that there's much less chance of it getting banged-up that way i don't want to have to deal with all of that return nonsense that i've read about on Amazon,etc.
      just for safety's sake,i bought the extra ($1) shipping insurance
      oh,boy.i can't wait!!

i'd just drive over to their warehouse to buy it,but unfortunately, they don't have a retail showroom
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

Vehicles
      12-24-2012 07:16 PM #523
      i got my Beatles box set today!!
      i opened up every album and inspected each disc--they all were flawless (whew!!) i was so worried after reading all of the horror stories about them on Amazon's site.
      the box itself was mint,as well as every single album.i'm going to wash one or two tonight and give them a spin.which ones to listen to first??
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-25-2012 03:22 AM #524
      i got my Beatles box set today!!
      i opened up every album and inspected each disc--they all were flawless (whew!!) i was so worried after reading all of the horror stories about them on Amazon's site.
      the box itself was mint,as well as every single album.i'm going to wash one or two tonight and give them a spin.which ones to listen to first??
      This order:
      White album
      Revolver
      Rubber Soul
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      12-26-2012 10:19 PM #525
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This order:
      White album
      Revolver
      Rubber Soul
      whoa,that's freaky!
      actually,i listened to Revolver first,then Rubber Soul,then the White Album.
      the next day i listened to Help,Magical Mystery Tour and the White Album again
      seriously,i have NEVER heard the Beatles sound this good before,i was verklempt listening to 'Mother Nature's Son' and 'Cry Baby Cry'.OMG,do whatever you have to do to purchase this set!! it is fantastic!!!!

i washed them all before playing them,it seemed to get some vinyl grunge/flakes off of them.they were all very clean looking,though.
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast