Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The vinyl thread

1. 02-04-2010 05:50 PM #36
      Do any of you remember Skylab Commerce? It was like an ebay for punk/hardcore records. So damn awesome! I found a lot of cool stuff on there.

They have something similar now called Limited Pressing, but it's not as good.

Also, check out Viva La Vinyl. It's a forum about vinyl and sorts.

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      02-04-2010 06:33 PM #37
      Quote, originally posted by xoutofstepx »
      Do any of you remember Skylab Commerce? It was like an ebay for punk/hardcore records. So damn awesome! I found a lot of cool stuff on there.

I vaguely remember that. Was it up in the late 90s/early 00s?

I'll have to check out the other two. There are a lot of punk/ska/hardcore/etc records that I want to get my hands on from the saem time period as above.

3. 02-04-2010 06:45 PM #38
      Quote, originally posted by kenny301 »

I vaguely remember that. Was it up in the late 90s/early 00s?

I'll have to check out the other two. There are a lot of punk/ska/hardcore/etc records that I want to get my hands on from the saem time period as above.

Yeah, that was the timeframe. I am sure you can find some of that stuff on Limited Pressing. The site is still growing.

4. Senior Member
      02-04-2010 08:55 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by smashingpimp01 »

Please sell me that Yoshimi album. I've been looking for quite sometime for one. Or, willing to trade? I don't have much
      I do have an extra copy of:
      Circa Survive - Juturna (Green Marble Swirl)
      Circa Survive - B Sides 7" clear
      Portugal The Man - Censored Colors
      all unopened

Sorry dude, but I'm really attached to it myself! Try emailing the guys at http://www.redcat.ca - I got the copy right off their shelves. They are really good about getting what you need, and as far as I know, that album is no problem to get a hold of around here. I picked it up new not that long ago.

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 1987 GTi, 2014 Ford Escape
      02-07-2010 09:56 AM #41
      @antoinetheswan

Thanks!

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      02-07-2010 10:48 AM #42
      Quote, originally posted by Ben.Reilly »
      What are the advantages of vinyl over CDs?

The biggest advantage is that there is no compression loss going from analog to digital, it is considered to be the actual recording. It can be good or bad based on the poressing, recording equipment etc. The music tends to be more alive, a little bit better soundstage, and transparency.

Some of my recent pick ups are:

Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
      Time Turns Elastic - Trey Anastasio

I'm bidding on:

Farmhouse - Phish (rare and out of print)
      Moondance - Van Morrison

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-07-2010 11:50 AM #43
      Quote, originally posted by MochaMike »

Time Turns Elastic - Trey Anastasio

I'm bidding on:

Farmhouse - Phish (rare and out of print)

nice, Farmhouse is really hard to find. I should have bought it years ago but I never did. I also regret not buying Story Of The Ghost when I had the chance either. How is the new Trey stuff? I haven't really heard any of it.

Moondance - Van Morrison

Phenomenal album! I have this one on vinyl as well.

...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan S, 2013 GLI
      02-07-2010 11:51 AM #44
      http://www.insound.com and http://www.interpunk.com are two great places to pick up vinyl. I know Insound always has exclusive stuff, they just did an exclusive Lou Reed 7" that I'll be picking up.

Some pics of what was handy:

Radiohead vinyl EPs and a few studio albums

I'm a big Ben Harper fan, the packaging on these is just awesome

Some Blue Note Jazz, I like these since they also come with the CD

Misfits, RHCP, and Roxy Music

Coldplay, Beastie Boys, Interpol
      <insert "you know how I know you're gay?" Coldplay joke here>

random stuff like Beach Boys, Bowie, Hendrix, Lennon, Plastic Ono Band, The Band, Megadeth, Merle Haggard

Kraftwerk remasters, Sinatra, Smashing Pumpkins, Faust

Verve, Mayer Hawthorne heart-shaped single, Dam Funk 10", West Indian Girl (one of my favorite bands), At The Drive In, some old hip hop

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      02-07-2010 03:01 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by patrikman »

nice, Farmhouse is really hard to find. I should have bought it years ago but I never did. I also regret not buying Story Of The Ghost when I had the chance either. How is the new Trey stuff? I haven't really heard any of it.

I really want Farmhouse, but I'm almost at my max bid of $75. I know I could buy them both (Farmhouse and Story of Ghost) for about $100 each sealed new, I'm just having a hard time swallowing those prices, I'd rather save some money and buy used if I can.

The new Trey stuff is amazing, a lot of Phish fan's don't love it, but I'm a music fan so I do. I'm seeing him with Classic Tab on the 16th here in NYC.

I picked up Michael Jacksons Thriller, and Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream today while I was out on a walk.

KidShorty, that is a badass collection!

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan S, 2013 GLI
      02-07-2010 04:49 PM #46

KidShorty, that is a badass collection!

thanks man, Insound that I mentioned is actually on Greenpoint Avenue, they have a warehouse sale every year in October that is pretty badass.

11. Senior Member
      02-07-2010 10:33 PM #47
      Vinyl-related question.. my copy of The Antlers - Hospice crackles a ridiculous amount. It's totally annoying. At points it's practically like you're crumpling up a plastic bag or something. It's a new LP, it has one or two light rub marks on it, but otherwise it's totally clean.

Is this due to a bunch of residual static or something? I dont know what I should do about it. The rest of my albums are fine, it's definitely not the stylus or anything equipment related.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-08-2010 12:00 AM #48
      Quote, originally posted by LostBoyScout »
      Vinyl-related question.. my copy of The Antlers - Hospice crackles a ridiculous amount. It's totally annoying. At points it's practically like you're crumpling up a plastic bag or something. It's a new LP, it has one or two light rub marks on it, but otherwise it's totally clean.

Is this due to a bunch of residual static or something? I dont know what I should do about it. The rest of my albums are fine, it's definitely not the stylus or anything equipment related.

it might just be a bad pressing? I have had brand new 7" that were super cheap pressings and they sound like ass.

...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-08-2010 12:04 AM #49

The new Trey stuff is amazing, a lot of Phish fan's don't love it, but I'm a music fan so I do. I'm seeing him with Classic Tab on the 16th here in NYC.

I saw TAB in July 2001. John Medeski played on several songs and Trey said it was "the best place to play in the whole world"

Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500 Sport, 2005 Saab 9-5 aero, 1996 Lincoln Town Car
      02-09-2010 12:49 AM #50
      Just picked up this single and figured out how to connect my usb turntable to my tv speaker system after having a Zoolander moment.

Remember take hold of your time here
      Give some meanings to the means to your end

Vehicles
      02-09-2010 06:25 AM #51
      This will be available for pre-order today

Brendan Kelly (of Lawrence Arms)/Joe McMahon (of Smoke or Fire) split called Wasted potential. Vinyl Collective pre-order comes with a one off coffee mug while the Anchor Records pre-order gets you colored vinyl. I don't really need any more coffee cups

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      02-09-2010 09:24 AM #52

Got outbid by $2 on Farmhouse while I was in class last night I had my max set at $75, and it went for $77.00, however I won Moondance!

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      02-09-2010 09:26 AM #53

I saw TAB in July 2001. John Medeski played on several songs and Trey said it was "the best place to play in the whole world"

I saw MMW w/ DJ Logic at the Electric Factory in Philly in 98 or 99, still to this day the best show I have ever seen! Looking forward to seeing Tab next week!!

18. 02-09-2010 10:22 AM #54
      Slapstick, S/T (2xLP on clear vinyl)

awesome

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-09-2010 12:17 PM #55
      Quote, originally posted by kidshorty »

I'm a big Ben Harper fan, the packaging on these is just awesome

I really really envy your Ben Harper vinyl collection.
      I have all of those on CD but damn.............

I saw MMW w/ DJ Logic at the Electric Factory in Philly in 98 or 99, still to this day the best show I have ever seen! Looking forward to seeing Tab next week!!

awesome. I have seen MMW probably ten times and DJ Logic once but, together they would be awesome. I really really liked Combustication.

02-09-2010 12:25 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by LostBoyScout »

Maybe wipe it down with this? Seems to help sometimes.

XBL: Skip Fourplay

GO SHARKS!!!

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      02-09-2010 01:02 PM #57

awesome. I have seen MMW probably ten times and DJ Logic once but, together they would be awesome. I really really liked Combustication.

That was the tour we saw, it was off the chart!

22. 02-09-2010 04:28 PM #58
      This will be available for pre-order today

Brendan Kelly (of Lawrence Arms)/Joe McMahon (of Smoke or Fire) split called Wasted potential. Vinyl Collective pre-order comes with a one off coffee mug while the Anchor Records pre-order gets you colored vinyl. I don't really need any more coffee cups

Oh hell yeah! This is very tempting.

Brendan Kelly was sooo drunk last time I saw Larry Arms. They kind of sounded like *****, but still good at the same time.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      02-09-2010 05:18 PM #59

This came today, it's amazing!!

Vehicles
      02-09-2010 08:35 PM #60
      Quote, originally posted by xoutofstepx »

Oh hell yeah! This is very tempting.

Brendan Kelly was sooo drunk last time I saw Larry Arms. They kind of sounded like *****, but still good at the same time.

I havent seen Lawrence Arms play in probably nine years. They haven't changed a whole lot since then. I wish that I would have seen The Broadways or better yet Slapstick play when I was in high school.

25. 02-09-2010 08:45 PM #61
      Yeah, The Broadways and Slapstick would have been awesome to see. Those dudes definitely make good music.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-09-2010 09:33 PM #62
      Today I went down to the only store in town that sells vinyl (except for Best Buy all of a sudden ). I was hoping to pick up the new Hot Chip and the new Massive Attack on vinyl. I was incredibly unsuccessful. Hot Chip comes in on vinyl on the 23rd and the he didn't have a release date for Massive Attack. Me being the packaging whore I am I was somehow able to resist buying either on CD despite the tantalizing artwork and/or deluxe bonus editions. Instead I wound up with:

the second album from Terranova - Hitchhiking Non-Stop With No Particular Destination

and the new RJD2 - The Colossus

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan S, 2013 GLI
      02-09-2010 09:38 PM #63
      Today I went down to the only store in town that sells vinyl (except for Best Buy all of a sudden ). I was hoping to pick up the new Hot Chip and the new Massive Attack on vinyl. I was incredibly unsuccessful. Hot Chip comes in on vinyl on the 23rd and the he didn't have a release date for Massive Attack. Me being the packaging whore I am I was somehow able to resist buying either on CD despite the tantalizing artwork and/or deluxe bonus editions. Instead I wound up with:

http://www.insound.com will have the Massive Attack on vinyl but it will be an import, no domestic release of the LP announced so far

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI
      02-09-2010 10:13 PM #64
      What are you guys listening to your vinyl on?

I have a music hall mmf 2.2 hooked up to a Peachtree Nova to some B&W speakers. I'd like to get an acrylic platter for my tt.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-09-2010 10:23 PM #65

http://www.insound.com will have the Massive Attack on vinyl but it will be an import, no domestic release of the LP announced so far

thanks but I am not paying $47.99 for an album even if is a triple 180 gram with CD. thats a tank of gas AND the cd for me.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-09-2010 10:24 PM #66

I have a music hall mmf 2.2 hooked up to a Peachtree Nova to some B&W speakers. I'd like to get an acrylic platter for my tt.

I have crappy turntables hooked up to an old ass mixer which is hookep up to my old Harman Kardon AVR and some vintage JVC speakers.

Vehicles
      02-09-2010 10:46 PM #67

Kenwood KA-405 component amp (55wpc) with a Technics SL-5100 TT that has a Shure M91ED cartridge. Speaker wise I have Royal 4a speakers, but I'll probably be upgrading those soon.

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan S, 2013 GLI
      02-09-2010 10:59 PM #68

thanks but I am not paying $47.99 for an album even if is a triple 180 gram with CD. thats a tank of gas AND the cd for me.

don't blame you, heard it may come out domestically in May

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-09-2010 11:07 PM #69

don't blame you, heard it may come out domestically in May

I will keep an eye out for it.

34. Senior Member
      02-10-2010 12:22 AM #70
      Quote, originally posted by VR6GTI72 »

Maybe wipe it down with this? Seems to help sometimes.

Thanks, actually I was talking to the dude at my local indie shop and brought it up, he said to bring it in, and if he can't make it go away he'll replace it. Pretty stoked on that.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast