Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cam Position Sensor/Wiring or timing?

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo 6 Speed - 2011 2.5 Golf - 2000 1.8T NB
      02-06-2010 12:55 PM #1
      Sorry, this got pretty long. Please stick with me.

I've got about 5000 miles after a top end rebuild on my 2000 APH 1.8T after a broken exhaust valve. It's been running good overall. Only thing that I've been questioning is the mileage seems to be a bit low. I've only been averaging about 25mpg and that includes running a full tank o the interstate with no city driving. Overall the car has 183000 miles. Here's a list of everything I replaced.

Coil Packs, Cam Position Sensor, Head Gasket kit, timing belt, tensioner assembly & roller, PCV Valve, Suction Pump,
      Intake to Suction Pump hose, Coolant Temp Sensor, N75 Frequency Valve, Accessory belt & tension roller, Shocks/Struts and related mounts/bushings/hardware, head casting, pistons/rings/rod bearings.

Everything was OEM except the N75 valve. I went with the Race N75 Frequency Valve from ECS mainly because it was on sale and cheaper than the OEM version. This might the cause of the lower mileage?

So on to the problem.

Check Engine Light came on yesterday with the following codes.

16727 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal too High
      P0343 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
      16725 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal
      P0341 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

So after a lot of research here, I've determined it must be either the new cam position sensor has gone bad, the wiring from the sensor to the ECU is bad or the timing is off (cam to cam, timing belt sprocket keyway sheared and slipped a bit).

As I said, the car seems to be running fine. No mis-firing, power seems good, etc.. so timing seems unlikely so I want to check everything else first before pulling the valve cover to verify that.

Looking at the CPS. It was securely bolted to the head. Inside looks good and the shutter wheel looks good and is also secure.

Checking the voltages with the sensor connected I get:
      1-2 = 5V
      1-3 = 5V
      2-3 = 0V

Checking the voltages with the sensor connected and a knife blade in the sensor I get:
      1-2 = -6V
      1-3 = 5V
      2-3 = 11V

Just looking at the voltages on the connector with no sensor connected I get:
      1-2 = -6V
      1-3 = 5V
      2-3 = 11V

Are these numbers are correct?
      5V power source on pin 1.
      Signal on pin 2 changes with a blade in the sensor, but is 11V too much?
      Ground on pin 3 looks good. Reading .1 ohm to ground.

I've got a couple errands to run then I'm going to trace the signal back to the ECU and make sure that's correct.

Thanks All

Ed

2. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225
      02-06-2010 02:21 PM #2
      I had those same codes at one point and my timing belt was off one tooth. You will not experience misfires if it is only off this much.

Vehicles
      02-06-2010 04:27 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by jwalker1.8 »
      I had those same codes at one point and my timing belt was off one tooth. You will not experience misfires if it is only off this much.

Just what I didn't want to hear. I guess I'll check that next.

Thanks

4. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225
      02-06-2010 06:39 PM #4
      Check via the mark on the valve cover and the crank pulley @ the lower timing belt cover...not the flywheel

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      01 VW Beetle 1.8t (aph)
      02-16-2010 12:18 PM #5
      MrEddy I'm having troubles with a similar beetle, can you confirm for me that the trigger wheel is the 3 window version? (long story short i have an aph beetle with an awv engine)

also another common cause for the implausible is the cam chain being a tooth off.

Modified by agento4 at 9:23 AM 2-16-2010

Vehicles
      02-16-2010 12:47 PM #6
      3 window sounds right. I'm at work right now so can't check for sure.

I bought a complete AWP head for the casting because the original was trashed when the valve broke and it does have the same trigger wheel as the APH. That much I do know for sure. I would bet they are all use the saem wheel.

The car is still sitting in the garage as I've just not had time to look at the timing belt and cam chain yet. Hoping to this weekend. I hoping one of them is a tooth off as that would be an easy fix.

Modified by MrEddy at 11:48 AM 2-16-2010