Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Clutch/Flywheel torque specs?

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Convertible VR6, 81 Rabbit Hatch, 81 Rabbit Diesel Caddy, 00 Jetta VR6, 01 Jetta 2.0
      02-07-2010 09:13 PM #1
      So I just picked up a 96 jetta with a 2.0 guy I bought it from owns a shop local to here. he buys them and either fixes them then sells them or just sells them off to the scrap. well I was able to pick this one up before he fixed it cheap. he was told the clutch was bad so he put a new one in and when he tried to drive it, it would not go into gear. now my question is what is the torque supposed to be for the flywheel to engine and the clutch bolts to flywheel? I will pick up the tranny tomorrow to check it out as he had it out at the transmission place to fix it cause he thought the tranny was bad. I think he just overtightened these bolts and would not go into gear. or something is not adjusted properly. I had a mr2 that I had to replace the clutch on and overtightened the flywheel and clutch bolts and it would not go into gear unless it was torque to spec anything over and it just wouldn't work. so any ideas on anything else it could be would be great, but I don't have a manual for it so I need to know what the specs are for it.
      VRSociety #301

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Convertible VR6, 81 Rabbit Hatch, 81 Rabbit Diesel Caddy, 00 Jetta VR6, 01 Jetta 2.0
      02-08-2010 08:58 AM #2
      seriously? nobody? nobody has a manual laying around to look up the torque specs on these bolts that may take 5 seconds?
      VRSociety #301

3. 02-08-2010 09:30 AM #3
      crank bolts: 44 ft-lbs + 90 degree turn

pp bolts: 15 ft-lbs

crank bolts are stretch bolts and should always be replaced

4. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      02-08-2010 01:15 PM #4
      Don't buy a broken car when you don't know how it works.

The pressure plate is bolted to the crankshaft, and the flywheel bolts onto the pressure plate. Overtightening either set of bolts, or all of the pressure plate (9) and/or flywheel bolts (6) will not cause the clutch to not work.

If are serious about this car, buy the Bentley VW Factory Service Manual for MKIII Golf and Jetta. There are going to be a lot of things you don't understand, and need the manual to fix.

5. 02-08-2010 02:47 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by germancarnut51 »

The pressure plate is bolted to the crankshaft, and the flywheel bolts onto the pressure plate. .

I think you are confused. Its the opposite!

Vehicles
      1.8T'd mk3, B5A4 Avant BT
      02-08-2010 02:57 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by dubtech001 »

I think you are confused. Its the opposite!

actaully, he is right. on the 2.0, the PP bolts to the crank, and the flywheel bolts to the pressure plate.

'01 A4 Avant
      6MT|Built AWM|Built AEB|60Trim

Vehicles
      02-08-2010 04:30 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by germancarnut51 »
      Don't buy a broken car when you don't know how it works.

The pressure plate is bolted to the crankshaft, and the flywheel bolts onto the pressure plate. Overtightening either set of bolts, or all of the pressure plate (9) and/or flywheel bolts (6) will not cause the clutch to not work.

If are serious about this car, buy the Bentley VW Factory Service Manual for MKIII Golf and Jetta. There are going to be a lot of things you don't understand, and need the manual to fix.

I own 3 mk1's I think they ran out of surprises. yes I know it all goes on backwards from normal, but you got the point. and I got the info I wanted. I'm not some backwoods idiot I know some ****, I just don't have the manual right now..

VRSociety #301

Vehicles
      Messerschmit Bf-109G4 Trop
      02-08-2010 07:52 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by RedWabbitVR »
      I'm not some backwoods idiot

But it says SC.

Vehicles
      02-08-2010 09:07 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by SoCal_SFVR6 »

But it says SC.

yeah for now but not for long. I grew up in jacksonville, fl. I was on my way to philly and got stuck here for a year. I finish my move this month

VRSociety #301