VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

In which, Turbio finally sacks up. (Subie content!)

42K views 423 replies 107 participants last post by  MCTB 
#1 ·
So my girlfriend sat down at my computer to check her email this morning and saw the thread I made this morning about suspensions and debating what car to get, again, for the 87th time.
Sez turbiogirl: "Hon, this is getting pathetic. Go buy a goddamn Forester now. It's what you want. There will always be something else coming out in the next few years."
Me: "Huhbuhwha?"
TG: "Go buy a Forester today. You have the money, you've had it socked away for 6 months. Just do it. You'll feel better. And I'm sick of hearing you bellyache about which car to buy."
Have I mentioned she's fantastic?
So I found a 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium with cold weather package in Paprika Red at a dealer near here.
We drove down there.
I test drove it. Drove an Outback. Decided I didn't like the Outback colors and didn't see the point in spending another two grand. Found that it got 28mpg at 70mph on the jaunt I took down I-25.
So I got in touch with my prana, took a deep breath, and bought the damn thing. They sold it to me for under MSRP, with floor mats and a cargo net tossed in, and I ordered a mesh grille and a wheel arch molding kit, which they cut me a nice discount on. Already thinking about aux lighting, and plan on painting the wheels gunmetal gray to go with the dark orange paint. Overall experience was quite pleasant - the dealer was great.
Initial impressions: reminds me very much of a better-driving Jeep Cherokee in its mission and simplicity. I like how it drives very much. Power is adequate for my needs. Took it down an unpaved, snowy country road and got my mind freaked by the excellent AWD and good ride on rough surfaces. Spent most of the afternoon driving around on various dirt roads I know of and am grinning in delight at the prospect of light offroading with the thing. And so, so glad to not be wondering about my next car anymore.
No pix yet, but will take as soon as possible. This is exactly what it looks like:

Modified by Turbiodiesel! at 7:26 AM 2-12-2010

See less See more
#353 ·
Re: FV-QR (morecarsthanbrains)

Quote, originally posted by morecarsthanbrains »
Pair with a limited slip rear, and youre golden.

Subaru has killed rear LSDs on everything but the STI and 3.6R models (and maybe the tribeca?) as of 2010.
Which means if you buy a new Subaru, you're getting less AWD for your buck than you were in 2009 for the OB (or LGT or spec B) or 2008 for the Forester.
This may be a reason to go used.

#358 ·
FV-QR

Yeah, they're Aussie-market suspension tuners who produce springs that give a great ride on rough roads and lift the car about an inch or so - 2-3cm.
Naturally, I see that and I start pondering Bajas....

#359 ·
Re: FV-QR (Turbiodiesel!)

Quote, originally posted by Turbiodiesel! »
Yeah, they're Aussie-market suspension tuners who produce springs that give a great ride on rough roads and lift the car about an inch or so - 2-3cm.

Don't have them yet for the '09/'10 Forester

#360 ·

But the higher you get, the worse the FE, no?
You need a used ALLROAD and tradeoff the FE hit (and maybe reliability, too) with the used pricing savings.

#364 ·
Re: FV-QR (uncleho)

Quote, originally posted by uncleho »

You need a used ALLROAD and tradeoff the FE hit (and maybe reliability, too) with the used pricing savings.

Hahahaha, allroad. Youre hilarious. I had one and it was a POS.
Get a used Outback, with a rear LSD, go to King Springs and get their springs and then get a body lift kit and voila, youll have something worthy of carrying a RTT. Since they are no longer offering an LSD in the rear on the 4 cyl Outbacks and Foresters, get an 09 or earlier Outback and be happy.

#368 ·
Re: FV-QR (morecarsthanbrains)

Quote, originally posted by morecarsthanbrains »

Hahahaha, allroad. Youre hilarious. I had one and it was a POS.
Get a used Outback, with a rear LSD, go to King Springs and get their springs and then get a body lift kit and voila, youll have something worthy of carrying a RTT. Since they are no longer offering an LSD in the rear on the 4 cyl Outbacks and Foresters, get an 09 or earlier Outback and be happy.

What advantage does a lifted AWD wagon have over standard 4WD SUV?

#372 ·

Awesomeness, mostly. It's also pretty difficult to find a SUV that'll still do 26 highway.

Did I miss why you don't like the Tacoma Prerunner? It gets 20/26 with the 2.7-liter and a 5-speed and is 2WD but has plenty of ground clearance and a LSD.

#374 ·
Re: FV-QR (UNBANNED_GERBIL)

Quote, originally posted by UNBANNED_GERBIL »
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_1GA8Cs8PtGg/SfJkAypieCI/AAAAAAAAESk/d867uZ-ROAE/s400/P4245247.JPG[/mg]
Not at all my cup of tea. Lose the awful graphics and the snorkel.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

You shut your whore mouth, Gerbil! The snorkel stays.
[IMG]http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/tongue.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.