Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Electrical problem on fuel door and trunk lock, Jetta mk4

1. 02-11-2010 11:28 AM #1
      I bought a 99 mk4 Jetta a few months ago and it came with the problem. I haven't had the chance to get my hands on it and now I want to try to fix it.
      The fuel door mechanism is stuck in the open position, fortunately it is not in the closed position, and the trunk lock only opens if I use the key directly. The actuator on the trunk lock is working since it does actually operate when I use the key, or if I remove the liner and manually move the switch that is operated by the key then the actuator works.
      The trunk and fuel door buttons on the passenger door have no response at all. It makes no difference what position the valet lock is. For some reason only the trunk button lights up when the car lights are turned on, the fuel door button never shows a light.
      The remote works fine for locking/unlocking the doors and for panic, but nothing happens when I press the trunk button, no sounds nor action at all.
      Since the trunk actuator works it seems the signal is just not coming to it. I guess it is not coming out of the computer or there is an open wire somewhere. When I use the trunk button on the remote I don't hear any relay sound coming from the computer module (behind steering wheel) as it does when I lock or unlock the doors.
      It has to be an electrical problem, I just don’t know where to start checking and I hope someone can suggest where to begin, or hopefully someone has had the same issue before and knows how to fix it.

Vehicles
      Just sold my 05 1.8t gti
      02-11-2010 11:39 AM #2
      do u hear the lock in the trunk moving but not popping? U might need the thing in my sig for a fix.
      Just sold my 2005 1.8t gti and have many parts left over CLICK FOR PICS OF WHAT I HAVE ---> http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...pl/For%20Sale/

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI, 2011 Xterra Pro-4X
      02-11-2010 11:41 AM #3
      Since the problem affects both the trunk release and the fuel door release, I would try replacing that set of switches. Maybe water got into it somehow and shorted it out. Look in the classifieds and you should be able to find a replacement set cheap from someone parting their car out.
      I'm doing work. (Build Thread) | VCDS Scans / Tweaks in the Waukesha / Milwaukee area for $5 or a 12-pk of Mountain Dew

4. 02-11-2010 11:46 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by VDuBPL »
      do u hear the lock in the trunk moving but not popping? U might need the thing in my sig for a fix.

Trunk lock sounds and moves and opens the trunk if I use the key directly in the trunk lock, it is powered up and responds to the key, but nothing happens when I use the door switch or the remote. Thanks.

5. 02-11-2010 11:55 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by JettaGetUpandGo »
      Since the problem affects both the trunk release and the fuel door release, I would try replacing that set of switches. Maybe water got into it somehow and shorted it out. Look in the classifieds and you should be able to find a replacement set cheap from someone parting their car out.

Yes, I'll have to try the switch replacement and see what happens.

Vehicles
      Just sold my 05 1.8t gti
      02-11-2010 12:22 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by ASH_CR »

Trunk lock sounds and moves and opens the trunk if I use the key directly in the trunk lock, it is powered up and responds to the key, but nothing happens when I use the door switch or the remote. Thanks.

remove the 12 screw in your trunk to reveal the switch, I bet the plastic is broken that the piece in my sig fixes.

Just sold my 2005 1.8t gti and have many parts left over CLICK FOR PICS OF WHAT I HAVE ---> http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...pl/For%20Sale/