Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "Guns for show, knives for a pro" Tactical knives & related weapons

Vehicles
      1979 rabbit VR6T, 2007 B6 passat 3.6L 4mo wagon (dd)
      02-13-2010 04:37 PM #1
      Figured I'd start a thread about another hobby of mine besides vw's & I guess it goes here in hiking & outdoors? Yes, I have a few firearms & was a USN gunner's mate, but as far as weaponry I really like edged weapons. This coincides with my love of history. Figured we could use this thread to discuss non-firearm weapons, since a thread on that already exists. I have trained in some form of martial arts, since I was 6 & I'm currently a Renzo Gracie purple belt in jiu-jitsu. This background exposed me to weaponry early on in life. I remember dressing as a ninja in my youth & had the sword, claws, & throwing stars. Also, I'm sure like many of you I had a ton of knives growing up ranging from the rambo knife to butterfly knives, swiss army knives to your basic survival knife. You get the idea. As I got older & more mature I had the privilege to train in kendo & to study bushido & the mysteries of the samurai sword. I read anything by Musashi & was obsessed by Kurosawa movies. This will always be a interest of mine, but I never pursued it fully. I owned a cheap katana, wakizashi & tanto for a time, but this was too expensive a interest for me to follow.

I also had a strong interest for medieval, greek, roman, germanic history that will continue till I die. I never trained formally with the weapons, but I have some nice examples of combat grade weapons in my home. I have about 3-4 real battle axes, 2 real battle maces, 2 real war hammers, 1 real thrusting sword, a spartan shield, SS repo knife, etc... I prob have a small fortune in arms in my home, nothing is that cheap ebay crap & some are one off pieces. These are all combat grade. Many are being put away since our first child is due soon. Have to be responsible. Even got a safe for the real guns.

I guess the most practical of all these weapons are my modern tactical knives. In the service I was exposed to the karambit by some marines, and have been practicing with it for many years. I own a few diff versions of the karambit, the most deadly fighting knife imo. I also have a very nice cold steel push dagger, a tops neck knife & for you army guys I just got a stryker combat brigade defender tool.

I feel the knife in a trained hand may be even more deadly in a cqb situation than even a pistol. My cop buddies live by the 21' rule. We do some light knife fighting drills in my school with rubber knives. I can usually tell how good someone is by how they hold their blade. I use the reverse grip, but even a untrained person can be just as deadly with their slashing & unpredictable movements.
      So anyone share this interest in weapons. It can be a bow, a club/stick, a spear, or even a knife for self defense as you walk to your car. If your passionate about it lets see/hear about it.

A few misc. pics:

The strider combat karambit baddest blade on the block, see it in action:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O6MchAeAkc
      Two real war hammers & my family coat of arms

Combat grade thrusting sword

WW2 reproduction knife

Tops stryker defender tool

Cold steel safe keeper2

I currently have on order:
      -Tops ferret necker
      -Rat izula

Best line in a movie:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfX3aXtRbLI
      Simpsons:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...edded

Instagram @vw_bronson

Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI
      02-13-2010 05:28 PM #2
      I still prefer guns for this reason.

PSN: Glock23man

Vehicles
      02-13-2010 05:58 PM #3
      ^^^LOL Both are just a tool to me & the man is the weapon, but I'd never be foolish enough to bring a gun to a knife fight
      Instagram @vw_bronson

4. 02-13-2010 09:48 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by panzer 2.3 »
      I have about 3-4 real battle axes, 2 real battle maces, 2 real war hammers, 1 real thrusting sword, a spartan shield, SS repo knife, etc...

I have like 20 real guns... When the Zombie's come, we'll see who the pro really is. Those fast zombies too, mother fawker. None of the slow Romero ones either.

Peach Blossom - Team My Little Pony

02-13-2010 09:59 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by medicracer »

I have like 20 real guns... When the Zombie's come, we'll see who the pro really is. Those fast zombies too, mother fawker. None of the slow Romero ones either.

No fast zombies please.

Vehicles
      02-13-2010 10:01 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by medicracer »

Trust me, I got to say real. Most weapons are cheap flea market junk, and real to me means combat grade.

When the zombies come don't worry I'll be ready. I have a safe full of real guns, but that's for another thread.

Instagram @vw_bronson

Vehicles
      02-14-2010 08:55 AM #7
      Ever wonder what the knife was from mw2. After some searching around & reading discussions between infinity ward & the tactical community they say it's a blackhawk tatang with a modded handle:

A knifesmith even plans to make a replica of the exact game setup, now how huge is this game:
      Instagram @vw_bronson

8. Banned
      02-14-2010 09:47 AM #8
      Here's what I carry around when a gun is not appropriate. It also gets lots of box opening duty

Vehicles
      02-14-2010 10:26 AM #9
      ^^^Very nice, thanks for contributing
      Instagram @vw_bronson

Vehicles
      02-17-2010 09:30 AM #10
      I'm still waiting for my custom ferret from tops & my new izula from ESEE. I'm becoming more & more impressed with ESEE's (formerly rat cutlery) blades & packs, etc... Does anyone have any of their blades. They seem very populare with law enforcement/military:

http://www.eseeknives.com/index.html

I belong to their sub-forum on bladeforums.com & the dedication is nuts. I'm going for a RC4 next. I have a friend & my own brother getting ready to re-deploy & their both going to purchase RC6's.

I just did pick up a gerber eab to hold me over for awhile as I wait on the new neckers

Instagram @vw_bronson

11. 02-17-2010 02:17 PM #11
      I see one of your warhammers looks to be a cold-steel model..I had one, and was very disappointed.

I have plenty of edged weapons around the house for extreme emergencies (ie. Khukri/Indian War Club). I want a sjambok or however you spell them.

However, doing knife-training in the academy etc...that stuff is downright scary. Someone who knows what they're doing will kill you or maim you in an instant. I won't lie - terrified if being stabbed/cut up. Thats why I try to be as proficient with my firearm as possible. I do carry two knives on duty though, one for box cutting, one for saving my arse if I end up on the ground.

I love the history of edged weapons. I'd kill to have a combat grade Gladius of some sort. Warhammers are also ballin'.

For zombies, I find myself wanting a cricket bat...

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      02-17-2010 03:26 PM #12
      Ahh... shock knives. That was not a fun session!

13. 02-17-2010 03:52 PM #13
      I'd like to have a few live blade rapiers.

Vehicles
      02-17-2010 06:35 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Elbows »
      I see one of your warhammers looks to be a cold-steel model..I had one, and was very disappointed

Good eye, one is a cold steel & the other is a custom. I haven't been too happy with any of my cold steel stuff as of late either.

Great comments everyone

Instagram @vw_bronson

15. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 Audi TT Roadster, 2014 VW Jetta GLI, 1992 Corrado VR6 S/C, 2001 Honda VFR800
      02-17-2010 08:41 PM #15
      My favorite knife out of my collection:

It's discontinued though, so you'd have to find a dealer that has some leftover in stock.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/14200

It's a bit pricey at $180, but it is the best build knife I have ever handled. Only downside is that it's a bit thick and kind of heavy, but it fits perfectly in your hand, especially if you have larger hands.

- Anthony

Formerly Anthony@VMG

Vehicles
      02-17-2010 09:56 PM #16
      Can never go wrong with a benchmade. I have lots of friends using/collecting them.
      Instagram @vw_bronson

02-17-2010 11:27 PM #17
      as of this year, all benchmade branded knives are now made in the USA, no more red class. however, the best selling red class models have been incorporated into its harley and HK line

to me, cold steel is just a novelty knife company. sure they have some notable designs, but mostly just for show, no quality.

personally I like spyderco, and is now saving up for a police. but i also like the urban survivor from boker as well:

Modified by nevermas at 11:31 PM 2-17-2010

Modified by nevermas at 11:33 PM 2-17-2010

War Eagle!

18. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      02-18-2010 07:02 AM #18
      It's not a knife, but I have one of these at home, and I know (a little) how to use it:

And yeah, having seen, over my years of martial arts training and teaching, a couple of people do their stuff who really know how to use a knife, there is NO WAY I ever want to get in a fight with a knife wielder. No way. Ask an emergency room doc if he'd rather treat a knife stabbing victim or a gunshot victim, too, and see what he says.

I am not good enough with a knife that I'd ever intentionally pull one or anything like that unless it was a total last ditch effort, either. I'd rather use my hands.

Give me a machete, though, or a japanese sword, and I'll take your damn limbs off.

-Tim

The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

19. Banned
      02-18-2010 08:12 AM #19
      Quote, originally posted by SilverSLC »
      It's not a knife, but I have one of these at home, and I know (a little) how to use it:

And yeah, having seen, over my years of martial arts training and teaching, a couple of people do their stuff who really know how to use a knife, there is NO WAY I ever want to get in a fight with a knife wielder. No way. Ask an emergency room doc if he'd rather treat a knife stabbing victim or a gunshot victim, too, and see what he says.

I am not good enough with a knife that I'd ever intentionally pull one or anything like that unless it was a total last ditch effort, either. I'd rather use my hands.

Give me a machete, though, or a japanese sword, and I'll take your damn limbs off.

-Tim

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      02-18-2010 08:38 AM #20
      I see one of your warhammers looks to be a cold-steel model..I had one, and was very disappointed.

I have plenty of edged weapons around the house for extreme emergencies (ie. Khukri/Indian War Club). I want a sjambok or however you spell them.

However, doing knife-training in the academy etc...that stuff is downright scary. Someone who knows what they're doing will kill you or maim you in an instant. I won't lie - terrified if being stabbed/cut up. Thats why I try to be as proficient with my firearm as possible. I do carry two knives on duty though, one for box cutting, one for saving my arse if I end up on the ground.

I love the history of edged weapons. I'd kill to have a combat grade Gladius of some sort. Warhammers are also ballin'.

For zombies, I find myself wanting a cricket bat...

Heh, I've got a Khukuri at home. Its actually a pretty nice piece. Those things are designed to take chunks out of people, thats for sure.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T SportCombi
      02-18-2010 12:01 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by Low J. »
      Here's what I carry around when a gun is not appropriate. It also gets lots of box opening duty

Are you LE/Military? I'd looooove to own a Microtech, but I don't have the proper credentials.

02-18-2010 03:39 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by yem_icculus »

Are you LE/Military? I'd looooove to own a Microtech, but I don't have the proper credentials.

credentials? you can own one, but you need a concealed carry to carry one

War Eagle!

Vehicles
      02-18-2010 05:54 PM #23
      Awesome stuff guys Loving that Katana & microtech. Also some good stuff about spyderco & benchmade. I was excited to have my buddy hook me up with some custom made paracord lanyards today. I put one on my stryker defender tool & am saving the others for my inbound izula & RC4. I'll snag some pics.

I've got the stryker hooked up on a nice molle rig. I've also been working on my own 72 hour survival pack instead of buying someone else's version.

Instagram @vw_bronson

24. Member
      Vehicles
      02-18-2010 06:18 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by nevermas »

Quote, originally posted by Pennsylvania Knife Law »
      Pennsylvania - Pa. C.S.A. 18.908. Prohibited offensive
      weapons. (a) Offense defined.--A person commits a
      misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized
      by law, he makes, repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in,
      uses, or possesses any offensive weapon. (b) Exception.--
      It is a defense under this section for the defendant to
      prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed of
      dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic
      performance, or that he possessed it briefly in
      consequence of having found it or taken it from an
      aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any
      intent or likelihood that the would be used unlawfully.
      (c) Definition.--As used in this section "offensive
      weapon" means... any... dagger, knife, razor or cutting
      instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic
      way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or
      otherwise...

Nope, not in Pennsylvania. There's a gray area for "collectors" and whatnot, but I'd rather not have that matter come down to discretion. Assisted knives are even a sort of gray area in PA, but they're generally accepted if the officer is not overzealous.

02-18-2010 07:46 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by yem_icculus »

Nope, not in Pennsylvania. There's a gray area for "collectors" and whatnot, but I'd rather not have that matter come down to discretion. Assisted knives are even a sort of gray area in PA, but they're generally accepted if the officer is not overzealous.

dramatic performance...you are a member of the jets v sharks 24/7 cultural society, dedicated to the preservation and continued display of west side story

War Eagle!

26. Member
      Vehicles
      02-18-2010 09:06 PM #26

dramatic performance...you are a member of the jets v sharks 24/7 cultural society, dedicated to the preservation and continued display of west side story

What can I say, when you're a jet, you're a jet all the way from your first cigarette to your last dying day.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      02-19-2010 05:02 AM #27

Depends on the state.

Some places you can't even buy them unless you're LEO, military, EMT, or one-armed.

28. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      02-19-2010 07:10 AM #28
      Quote, originally posted by Low J. »

No WAY I am bad-assed enough for the double-bladed lightsaber of doom, though.

I know my limits.

The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

29. 02-19-2010 07:29 PM #29
      New EDC knife - the cheaper Gerber will remain as the work knife (high chance of losing it in the dark in the desert...)

It says USA on the blade...which makes me curious, if its legitimately made in the US. I have my doubts. However, brilliantly nice knife, and exactly what I wanted (nice and G10 handle). Slicker than ****...will have to adjust to carry it with the different pocket-clip orientation.

Vehicles
      02-19-2010 07:47 PM #30
      ^^^Nice blades. How you like the tanto point? Is that H&K a auto flipper? I have a cheapie gerber (EAB) coming for work too. Figured it make a nice daily.
      Instagram @vw_bronson

31. 02-19-2010 07:50 PM #31
      Actually I'm a huge fan of tantos...mainly because you can run the angled-tip to open boxes without worrying about punching your knife straight into the box.

The HK is just a manual flicker as far as I'm concerned. I don't **** around with switchblades or assists or anything - its butter smooth (as to be expected from a Benchmade)

The Gerber has served me very well - it wiggles a bit after we threw our knives at our targets while doing some firearm practice.

Vehicles
      2002 Passat Wagon 1.8T, 1954 Ford Customline
      02-19-2010 09:22 PM #32
      Quote, originally posted by NoDubJustYet »

Depends on the state.

Some places you can't even buy them unless you're LEO, military, EMT, or one-armed.

God bless Oregon, I love that I can just drive over to all the best knife makers and walk out with switchblade if I wanted.

Gerber, Benchmade, Leatherman, Kershaw, they're all in like a 10 minute radius. Not to mention the Portland Gun/Knife show, some crazy stuff there.

Benjamin Green
      The long lost - Rennsport
      2002 VW Passat Variant 1.8T
      1954 Ford Customline 2dr Business Sedan
      Chuck Norris, hookers, and blow.

02-20-2010 12:16 AM #33
      Actually I'm a huge fan of tantos...mainly because you can run the angled-tip to open boxes without worrying about punching your knife straight into the box.

The HK is just a manual flicker as far as I'm concerned. I don't **** around with switchblades or assists or anything - its butter smooth (as to be expected from a Benchmade)

The Gerber has served me very well - it wiggles a bit after we threw our knives at our targets while doing some firearm practice.

if that is the 14200-70, then it is 100 percent USA. benchmade's HK line has increased significantly in quality from previous years, whenever it says import on the label, it means it is made in taiwan. their harley line imho has better quality than HK.

I enjoy the action on the axis lock, it is pretty enjoyable, but the automatic on the infidel is oddly satisfying

anyways, great buy! benchmade is a great company, Les is a great guy, and I enjoy buying from them not only because of quality, but great customer service

Modified by nevermas at 12:17 AM 2-20-2010

War Eagle!

Vehicles
      02-20-2010 08:01 AM #34
      ^^^Makes me want to buy a benchmade. I know a guy that swears by them, and has thousands of dollars invested in his bm collection. Here's a sample, threw a few others of his in too:

Modified by panzer 2.3 at 5:02 AM 2-20-2010

Modified by panzer 2.3 at 5:04 AM 2-20-2010

Instagram @vw_bronson

Vehicles
      1998 VW Jetta
      02-20-2010 03:36 PM #35
      I see you like butterflies... damn that's quite a collection.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast