Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: "Guns for show, knives for a pro" Tactical knives & related weapons

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      08-30-2011 01:10 PM #211
      Quote Originally Posted by nevermas View Post
      Yup, most of Stan's more well known works are out of my reach, but o so nice.

http://www.stanwilsonknives.com/gallery_1.html
      Wow, so many nice looking knives.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

2. 08-30-2011 04:47 PM #212
      Thinking about getting a knife for personal protection. Any recommendations? Don't wanna blow a ton of money.
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      There's a larger collective IQ in the load I blew down the shower drain this morning than behind the counter at any Starbucks within a 10-mile radius of my house.

08-30-2011 05:06 PM #213
      Quote Originally Posted by skaterhernandez4 View Post
      Thinking about getting a knife for personal protection. Any recommendations? Don't wanna blow a ton of money.
      Can you legally carry a gun? Get a gun.

But if you're deadset on getting a knife for sd, get something in a hawkbill pattern, for example the Emerson LaGriffe, HAK, or Spyderco Tasman. Requires almost no training, just slash and bolt. Both not a ton of money, but then again, how much is your life worth?
      War Eagle!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Le Bomber.
      09-05-2011 05:39 AM #214
      If you are "thinking" about a knife for sd, don't get one. Using a knife as a tool is great, but in 9/10 circumstances having a knife exposed in a situation you deam threatening will generally leave you wishing you hadn't.

Once you pull a knife (or let it be known you have one) your would be attacker(s) realize that at this point to get anywhere close to their objective they will have to use force, because you have given the notion you are not afraid to use force yourself. This is no a situation you want to be in as an alarmed "attacker" may have been only trying to intimidate you for that last $26 and a few maxed out credit cards in your wallet. Now you've made your attacker legitimate as you've threatened them, and given them the idea you have something to protect on your person greater than your life.

Unless you've provoked someone to cause malicious action against you, running like a b*tch to an area full of people and cameras is probably your smartest response. Many would be corner muggers aren't going to chase you accross town, and by chance if something were still going to happen to you theres a good probability someone will call the EMT's and get you put back together appossed to you trying to be a hero over your fancy hipster phone and shoes and getting strewn across an alley.
      Fifteen52's Official Facebook Page!

Quote Originally Posted by rpmk4 View Post
      tl;dr = bitches be crazy
      If I have a post on here that has a dead pic PM me, I selfishly reorganized my photobucket in boredom.

5. 09-06-2011 10:26 AM #215
      do either of you bother to read the title (or the first post!) of threads?
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      There's a larger collective IQ in the load I blew down the shower drain this morning than behind the counter at any Starbucks within a 10-mile radius of my house.

Vehicles
      2001 Passat Wagon
      09-06-2011 10:31 AM #216
      do either of you bother to read the title (or the first post!) of threads?

I feel the knife in a trained hand
      Unless you're ex-military or extremely well trained, I would reccomend using a knife for protection.
      GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.
      I like grocery getters.

Vehicles
      12 Lexus CT 200h, 07 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
      09-06-2011 01:37 PM #217
      my spyderco tenacious and sog flash 2, along with pocket buddy mr. 4sevens Preon 2

got the flash 2 as a gift from a sog exec but i like spydercos going to be picking up a delica ffg next

Vehicles
      Corrado
      09-08-2011 03:53 PM #218
      i carry a crappy winchester daily as a beater/ dont care if I lose it tool.

I also have an older microtech LUDT which I cannot get ahold of them to get a new pocket clip for it. anyone have any advice?

09-08-2011 11:38 PM #219
      Quote Originally Posted by corradokyd View Post
      i carry a crappy winchester daily as a beater/ dont care if I lose it tool.

I also have an older microtech LUDT which I cannot get ahold of them to get a new pocket clip for it. anyone have any advice?
      Bug the hell outta this guy:

Jim Hansen - Regional Sales Manager
      Phone: 828-367-0074
      jhansen@msarinc.com
      War Eagle!

Vehicles
      Corrado
      09-09-2011 02:41 AM #220
      Bug the hell outta this guy:

Jim Hansen - Regional Sales Manager
      Phone: 828-367-0074
      jhansen@msarinc.com
      haha I did try that. I got a response once saying for 10$ well clip it, oil and sharpen it just send it in after getting an RA number.

I had problems filling out the online form cause my knife has no model/sn on it. just says ats34 and 11/96

then I decided that the knife was owned by a collector and doesnt need lube or a sharpen i just want a clip and hardware. tried every number on the site they are just bums to get a hold of...

i guess i should start up again hahaha

09-10-2011 01:46 AM #221
      ats34 is the steel and 11/96 is the month and year that it was made

your model would be the LUDT, the form is really just a guide for the guys in the shop so everything is streamlined, if streamlined can truly be used for a company such as Microtech.

I'm not too familiar with the LUDTs, can't tell on the pictures that I can find, but on my UTXs I had to send them in for any clip replacement. Mainly because Microtech uses those proprietary screws

You should lube it if you want to carry/use it, and a good sharpening doesn't hurt. Some companies just doesn't have the capability to break a production pallet and mail you a part. Once upon a time I thought that parts were just stored in little bins on a huge shelf and people grab what they needed. Nope, every aspect of the materials needed for production is calculated and measured so you have just about the right number of products used by the materials.
      War Eagle!

Vehicles
      Corrado
      09-11-2011 12:53 PM #222
      Well the problem is the form wouldn't let me complete it without a proper s/n. I tried everything under the sun and nothing worked. Thats when I tried to get ahold of them again.

Im guessing itll be worth it to send my knife in if I can get a hold of them? I have this gut feeling itll take like 5 years to get my knife back...

09-11-2011 07:03 PM #223
      Yeah Microtech's customer service isn't the best in the industry, in fact, it down right sucks. Hopefully now with MSAR going under there are more people paying attention on the knife side. Yeah, it might take a while for Microtech to send back your knives once you send it in. I'll be honest, faced with your situation I would just say forget it and live with the broken clip.

I sold all of my UTXs after I got them back, and if I want to buy automatics now, I'm looking at everything but Microtech. Beautiful knives, including a grail of mine, but the owner's attitude toward his customers is just degrading.

O yeah, there is another source that you can try. Join up with the Microholics and maybe someone there will source a clip for you.
      War Eagle!

14. 09-11-2011 08:21 PM #224
      Shame MSAR is going under, I put in an application to work for them (in any sort of capacity) when they moved over to NC. Obviously never got a response, nor any to my requests for info regarding the 5.45 rifle...until months after it was released.

Oh well, good thing they never called.

Vehicles
      2001 Passat Wagon
      09-12-2011 07:12 AM #225
      I was scraping the crap off my stovetop last night and felt inspired to take a picture.

CRKT-M16 EDC Tanto. Smallest one they make. I think I paid.. 18$? Fantastic little blade.
      GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.
      I like grocery getters.

Vehicles
      Corrado
      09-12-2011 10:30 AM #226
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Shame MSAR is going under, I put in an application to work for them (in any sort of capacity) when they moved over to NC. Obviously never got a response, nor any to my requests for info regarding the 5.45 rifle...until months after it was released.

Oh well, good thing they never called.

their products looked awesome! I guess it is a shame.

nevermas
      Yeah Microtech's customer service isn't the best in the industry, in fact, it down right sucks. Hopefully now with MSAR going under there are more people paying attention on the knife side. Yeah, it might take a while for Microtech to send back your knives once you send it in. I'll be honest, faced with your situation I would just say forget it and live with the broken clip.

I sold all of my UTXs after I got them back, and if I want to buy automatics now, I'm looking at everything but Microtech. Beautiful knives, including a grail of mine, but the owner's attitude toward his customers is just degrading.

O yeah, there is another source that you can try. Join up with the Microholics and maybe someone there will source a clip for you.

well I tried the form again and I got it to submit. If they get back to me quick enough then maybe Ill consider sending it in. The knife came from a collector who passed away, my step father bought the collection from his wife and split it up. it was full of switchblades. I had looked through them and liked the microtech and when xmas came he gave me the knife. he gave my brothers knives as well, the younger got a fully auto not sure of the brand and the youngest got a spring assisted kershaw.

MY knife never had the clip on it, the older LUDTs have the clip going to other way (mounts near the pivot) and I think just uses torx bits. the newer knives use the special screws that you need some 100$ tool to tighten. I really dont like using the knife without the clip, so I never carry it, i might throw it in my g un bag when I head off in to the woods.

Ill give the holics a shout..thanks man.

Vehicles
      5.4L F150 Lariat
      10-28-2011 09:52 AM #227
      Just picked up the CRKT M16-01kz spear tip,most I've ever spent on a blade,love it so far.
      Stock photo.
      New Vortex Blows

18. 10-28-2011 01:53 PM #228
      Thinking about getting a ZT0560 to replace my 0200.

Vehicles
      10-28-2011 01:56 PM #229
      My recent purchases:

To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      '08 JK Rubicon
      10-30-2011 12:36 PM #230
      Nice. I've been wanting to get a few more ESEEs, but the damn Jeep keeps my pockets empty!

My wife did get me a TAD ranger hoodie, I feel like I must accessorize my new tacticoolness with a new Izula!

Vehicles
      10-30-2011 01:44 PM #231
      You definitely need to pick one up. Hell, pick a few up in different colors so you can accessorize with whatever you're wearing.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      2001 Passat Wagon
      10-30-2011 07:46 PM #232
      Holy... I need to get an Izzy still. It'll probably end up being an xmas present to myself.
      GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.
      I like grocery getters.

Vehicles
      '08 JK Rubicon
      10-31-2011 12:35 AM #233
      Quote Originally Posted by EK20 View Post
      You definitely need to pick one up. Hell, pick a few up in different colors so you can accessorize with whatever you're wearing.
      I have a couple, I posted them somewhere in this thread. Your post reminded me that I need more. My wife makes fun of me for buying the same stuff in different colors!

Vehicles
      10-31-2011 01:02 PM #234
      Quote Originally Posted by dubstyl View Post
      I have a couple, I posted them somewhere in this thread. Your post reminded me that I need more. My wife makes fun of me for buying the same stuff in different colors!
      Next time she does, just explain you like to have a knife for every outfit.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

25. 11-04-2011 02:38 AM #235
      whoa! This is kind of a sinister thread....Quite interesting to see how many people share this disturbing 'love for weapons' sentiment

26. 11-04-2011 03:20 AM #236
      Eh "weapon" is a misused term most times. These are all tools. Nothing wrong with appreciating a good tool. Now buying chrome "Dragon Slayer" daggers fitted with snowglobes and dragonwings...that's a bit different.

11-07-2011 02:31 AM #237
      Haven't bought a knife in a long time, saving up for a TAD Spectre.

But I do have this in sights as well,

O yeah, EK20, go use those ESEE's, hehe they look too new
      Last edited by nevermas; 11-07-2011 at 02:33 AM.
      War Eagle!

28. 11-07-2011 02:50 AM #238
      By TAD Spectre, I hope you don't mean TAD Gear...they make nice clothing/gear etc., but they sell obnoxiously overpriced "TAD" merchandised stuff from other companies. Anything with the TAD Gear logo painted on it becomes 200% the cost normally...lame.

Vehicles
      11-07-2011 12:42 PM #239
      O yeah, EK20, go use those ESEE's, hehe they look too new
      I've used the orange Izzy to baton some kindling actually. Handled it like a champ. Might as well been cutting warm butter for all the effort I had to expend.

And most of the other Izzies have handled food prep on a fairly regular basis.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

11-09-2011 10:47 PM #240
      Clothes is pretty much the only reason I like TAD, the prices is high but about equal range to the high quality Arcteryx offerings. Going for the Spectre because I need a new breathable non-gortex hardshell for some upcoming trips. Getting a great deal on it too helps. May also consider the new Stealth hoodie as a substitute.

The limited labeled TAD edition gear is indeed another category. Never was too interested in any non-company labeling on gear that I own, so that cuts down spending in that aspect. Just did a quick mental scan, but I think the only third party company branded knife that I own is a Lone Wolf Glock Endura, and I rarely use the knife part.

Getting back to knives, placed an order for a Christmas gift today. ESEE Izula 2 kit in OD green
      War Eagle!

31. 11-09-2011 11:39 PM #241
      Hell I have a TAD Gear hoodie in my car right now. But between them really narrowing their clothing catalogue - and now producing stuff overseas...AND a lot of other companies are now building equally decent gear, I think my TAD days are over.

Heck when I had money I bought a stealth hoodie for my two closest friends, and my bro. I used to have a couple of TAD gear packs etc. all sold now.

I'm selling my ESEE-4 to a buddy because I don't find the grip/blade sizing as nice as the ESEE-3. It feels like too much blade, and not enough grip (I have long fingers). I also found an old Tops Ranger Heat sitting in a box...so that'll go with my range rig.

11-10-2011 03:13 AM #242
      You know, regarding the production in overseas bit, I remember Patrick mentioning it was due to the impossibility of finding quality factories and equipment here in the USA to produce them. While I was slightly bummed when I found out the Spectre is produced overseas, I've got faith that the guys at TAD will do things right if there are any quality issues.

I wish I had the justification to pick up one of their packs. I've got one too many and the Eagle AIII is still going strong after travelling all over Asia this year. Good thing I don't live near San Francisco, otherwise I'd eat canned beans and spam for months just so I could spend the money on getting TAD gear. Shagmaster looks mighty comfortable, pity that it is out of stock.

I've decided to hold off temporarily on the knives purchasing, may even delve into knives selling in the upcoming weeks, to raise some extra gear funds for my trip. Guess I'll hold off buying the Emersons and the Striders until next year. Going to visit Benchmade in Portland and Chris Reeve in Boise next week, maybe I'll pick a few things at dealer discount
      War Eagle!

33. 11-10-2011 06:18 AM #243
      Yeah I know lots of quality companies who do stuff overseas - but at the price they ask, it damn well better be made here. 5 years ago they were serious innovators, but now the "tactical chic" market is freakin' exploded. Tons of great companies with good gear.

I actually ran an awesome German jacket in the Patrol (against my superiors wishes...I got a lot of flak for it...). It was made by TacGear, and is equally well built. But of course it took the damn Germans 53 days to get it to me!

All in all, while they make good stuff - a quick trip over to Lightfighter.net will provide you with a dozen other companies making equally good stuff.

Vehicles
      11-10-2011 12:44 PM #244
      Getting back to knives, placed an order for a Christmas gift today. ESEE Izula 2 kit in OD green
      Nice! I'm expecting an orange Izzy II any day now. My DT ESEE-3 should be here today. New knives are always a fun reception.
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

11-10-2011 03:19 PM #245
      Just used my trusty TAK to chop fatwood from larger pieces in preparing for an upcoming camping trip. Loving this knife. Bought it before the ESEE/Ontario split, I figure it is going to last me a while of hard use. The steel is 1095, I believe the newer Ontario TAKs are now all D2. This knife is the reason why I don't have justification to pick up the larger ESEEs. Once this one wears out, I'll be picking up an ESEE 4, 5 and 6.

Looking forward to handling and possibly picking up the new SOCP dagger from Benchmade.

War Eagle!

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast