Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Polo GTI - First Photos

Vehicles
      MkVII Golf 1.8t
      02-17-2010 03:57 PM #26
      Dear VWoA, and VWoC
      Please bring this car over here. My neighbourhood is full of Minis, Smarts, Aveos, Fits, Yaris, etc.
      What don't you folks get. If you want to increase your N.A. sales to 800,000 (U.S.) as I've read about, then you need to bring us more models, and choice within those models.
      Some other manufacturers have introduced small models to Canada first, before the intro to the U.S. - perhaps VWoC could consider that!
      So, make mine specifically a Polo GTI, stick-shift, sunroof, a decent colour choice, and I am yours forever.

2. 02-17-2010 04:37 PM #27
      VW needs this car here...

3. 02-17-2010 05:39 PM #28
      The half-black roof looks nice. Odd they won't bring this here, probably too close to the higher margin golf space.

Vehicles
      Mk5 GTI FSi
      02-17-2010 06:32 PM #29
      An amazing looking car. Perfectly balanced, a true successor to the Mk2 GTI IMO...
      I'd love it if they brought this here.

5. 02-17-2010 07:02 PM #30
      VWoA get of your duffs! and bring that Polo here!!!!! looks as fun as my MK1! ;-)

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI
      02-17-2010 08:10 PM #31
      Again, is it because of the margins VWoA is worried about or it just won't sell because of the price that they have to place it at? How long do they have to 'study' if this car will work here or not? Their excuses are just soo lame now.

7. 02-17-2010 09:04 PM #32
      study, study, study. it took them till '83 to bring the "rabbit gti" here. even though we did have the rabbit before that.
      i would buy this car... in a stick.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf, 2012 Golf R & 93 Corrado SC Evo CASC OR GT3 Racer
      02-17-2010 09:30 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by Passat94VR6 »
      VWoA - what don't you get?! Small cars are BIG again in the US. Bring it over and you won't regret it!

With USD 1.40 for every Euro, there's plenty to regret. Right now, importing any form of Polo would be a reckless act on the part of VWGoA, and it would further deepen their existing Eurozone product losses. A lemonade stand business sense is not appropriate when you have to multiply your production and import costs in Euros times 1.4 or worse.
      Just to break even on importation to the US, they'd have to price the car well beyond what the current market segment would bear ...this is obviously the reason why they did not pull the trigger sooner. The break even scenario starts to crumble in the fact that they would be restricted in the range of build variants and they'd have to commit to export production volumes on par with the European home market in order for the build factory to make any money.
      Small cars are indeed bigger in the US/CDN, but the total market saturation for this class in the US alone is chump change compared to Europe, and let's not get started on discussing the up-and-down volatility and fickle nature of the total US market. Importing the existing car from Germany simply is not feasible right now.
      Regardless, rumour has it that a US market specific Polo is being considered, and that the Honda Fit was used as the benchmark. Production would have to be local (Puebla, Curitiba, Chattanooga?), or if built in the Eurozone, have the losses of these offset fully by profits from future Chattanooga production.
      Don't get me wrong or shoot the messenger, ...I dearly love the Polo (I always drive Polo on business in the Fatherland) and would spring for one in a New York minute if offered here. I'd just prefer to see the VW brand survive in the US, have VWGoA continue to live within their means and keep their employees, contractors and their families safe and sound. Don't forget that they currently are the only importer subsidiary of a global OEM that does not produce volume product on US soil ...allowing US product profits to offset Eurozone losses as is the case with Mercedes and BMW.
      "Professional Driver, Closed Course."
      SpeedWerks Racing 05/06 CASC OR GTA Champion
      2008 DCSCC Autox Series Top 3 PAX Points
      2009/10/12 DCSCC Autox THS Champion, Street Tire Champion & 2nd place PAX Points

9. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      02-17-2010 09:57 PM #34
      Sell a 4 door Polo GTI here and I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Vehicles
      2000, VW Jetta now 2006 VW Jetta MKIV Soccer and 1992 Jetta CaratEdition
      02-17-2010 10:02 PM #35
      I want this car !!
      Is amazing the performance and balance of this beauty !
      Like you said guys, Is the truly MK2 of these days !
      Perfect Design
      Great Engine
      Sport Interior
      Do you need more ??
      Yes, just offer in America

Vehicles
      '15 GTI,'11 Golf TDI,'10 Wolfsburg,'08 R32,'06 GTI,'02 GLI,'00 GTI,.97 Jetta GT,'83+77 Sciroccos
      02-17-2010 11:04 PM #36
      VWoA needs to bring in the Polo GTI - this would be either a halo car and increase floor traffic to sell the Golf, Jetta, and new midsized decontented middle sized car. Heck, how many would they actually sell, remember Americans don't buy small hatchbacks anyway VWoA would only need to worry about selling a few thousand Polo GTIs to people who will buy competing cars like the Alfa Mito, or the Fiat 500 Abarth, or one of the tuner Fiesta's that you know Ford will bring in as ringers from Europe. VWoA has too much sales volume anyway and doesn't need another winner.
      Let's see - no scirrocco, no R, no VW Pickup, no Mini Bus - heck they could bring in one of the hot SEAT Coupes made in Spain - but NOooooooo It is thinking like that that nearly killed VW last time. Good Luck VWoA in hitting your sales targets with decontented Jettas.

Modified by CSlowR32 at 2:05 AM 2-18-2010
      A VW Fanatic in order of ownership/leasing = 2015 GTI ,2011 Golf TDI. 2010 Wolfsburg, 2008 R32, 2007 Wolfsburg, 2006 GTI, 2002 GLI, 2000 GTI, 1998 Jetta GT, 1989 Fox, 1983 Scirocco, 1985 GTI, 1977 Scirocco, 1976 Rabbit, 1975 Rabbit, 1968 Bug

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI
      02-17-2010 11:24 PM #37
      Wow you even get the awesome GTI steering wheel. Impressive.

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
      02-17-2010 11:39 PM #38
      I seriously can't find one design fault on this car.. the interior is fantastic.

Vehicles
      VW CC 6MT, Ford Freestar, diesel rabbit (RIP)
      02-17-2010 11:55 PM #39
      this is just down right depressing to me. (the fact that this car rocks and we'll never see it.) i shouldn't even open these threads!

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      02-18-2010 12:03 AM #40
      Quote, originally posted by Shawn O »
      Sell a 4 door Polo GTI here and I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Thats not the reason people buy Polo's though...
      if you are looking for a 4 door "GTI" then buy a Golf.
      That being said I preferred this:

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado G60, '90 GTI 8v, '92 Corrado SLC, & '04 Golf R32
      02-18-2010 12:35 AM #41
      Someone please pshop a rabbit badge to the rear.

Vehicles
      I haz a bunnah
      02-18-2010 10:29 AM #42
      Awsome, yet another car which we'll never see stateside. Thanks VWoA!

Quote, originally posted by Corrado RS »
      Someone please pshop a rabbit badge to the rear.

Why? It's no where near anything Rabbit related in any shape or form.
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      You're new here but don't be a DORK.....
      Cheers, WWR.
      Quote Originally Posted by rte7x9 View Post
      Don't swap if you can't weld or fabricate. It's not a trivial task just to bolt everything up. There's a lot of nut-scratching involved. Take your time and do it right.

02-18-2010 11:49 AM #43
      Quote, originally posted by quailallstar »
      No, 1 turbo and 1 supercharger.

thanks for the detail info.. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      If VWoA bring this car to the states...that def will change my current attention from buying a Mini Cooper S.
      if i could stay with VW brand..that would be nice.
      current: '09Jetta, '03GTI 24v
      ex: '07NB - '05GLi - '03GTi - '01Golf - '88GTi - '86GTi

Vehicles
      1 with 2 doors and 1 with 4 doors
      02-18-2010 01:31 PM #44
      Don't worry VW is gonna bring the Polo over, you just have to wait another 15 years so that the small hatch segment of the market has all but died off. VW is on the cutting edge of the auto industry, if you subtract 15 years from every move they make.
      Brought to you by Carl's Jr ©

Vehicles
      07 Camfollower
      02-18-2010 02:52 PM #45
      want, moving.

21. 02-18-2010 03:19 PM #46
      I haven't posted in VWVortex in a long time but I feel that this car demands it.
      Look, people here in the US will shell out $30k plus for a fully loaded Mini Cooper S Works edition. I know that is not "mass market" but it is important to illustrate that the higher price only limits the market, not excludes the product all together.
      The real risk I see with the Polo is that the price of the Golf is so low here that bringing in the Polo GTI would look very strange without the lower end Polo next to it and that base model Polo would cost as much as the Golf. There is the big difference between VWoA and Mini, the Mini dealer only sells Mini's (yes I know there is the Clubman and the new crossover MiniUT in the works, my point is they don't project their line up as Golf, GTI/Jetta/Tiguan, Passat, etc..).
      So how does VWoA make this work? In my opinion they do it by bringing the Golf up market, in line with the Jetta. Even the base model Jetta is a bit more refined than the base model Golf. If you make those to even, and price the Polo where the base model Golf is now then you can put a Polo GTI right below a Golf GTI. This solves the line up problem however it doesn't address the biggest cost savings in the baseline Golf...
      The 2.5l motor is less expensive to produce and maintain than the 2.0T and the Polo is not going to do that well with a 2.5l inline 5 under the hood. Certifying a new motor is an expensive proposition for VWoA and throwing the 2.0T into the Polo would make it very difficult to hit the low price point of the base model Golf.
      The point of my rant is this... I understand that it is not a simple task to bring the Polo GTI to the US market but I don't think it is insurmountable. There is a market for this car and a potential market for the base model Polo as well. The Fiat is coming to our shores in the form of a Chrysler, the Mini is here, the Toyota IQ is here, the Honda Fit is here. Beat the Fiat 500 here with the Polo and establish VW microcars in the US.
      I will buy the Polo GTI as spec'd for $26k (and I will pay more for a warranty extension to cover me for 10 years because two boost systems is an expensive service proposition) today.

Modified by BoraSport at 11:10 PM 2-18-2010

Vehicles
      '00 GTI 1.8t, '05 Mazda6 Wagon V65M
      02-18-2010 04:12 PM #47
      Every time there is a new Euro market VW shown, the plea's of "Bring it to the US" start. At least people are finally starting to understand that it's EXPENSIVE to import cars from Europe (M-B, BMW and Audi get away with it because they are premium cars). People don't want to pay $25k for a chit-box compact. Yes, MINI does it but at GOLF GTI prices.
      If you want VWoA to bring over a sub-Golf car, put your money where your mouth is - go BUY a MINI, a Fit or a Fiesta. Then when VWoA sees growth in this segment and they bring the POLO here, you can trade in for that. Until them, stop with the "I'd buy it" BS.

Vehicles
      1 with 2 doors and 1 with 4 doors
      02-18-2010 05:46 PM #48
      Quote, originally posted by 2 doors »
      Every time there is a new Euro market VW shown, the plea's of "Bring it to the US" start. At least people are finally starting to understand that it's EXPENSIVE to import cars from Europe (M-B, BMW and Audi get away with it because they are premium cars). People don't want to pay $25k for a chit-box compact. Yes, MINI does it but at GOLF GTI prices.
      If you want VWoA to bring over a sub-Golf car, put your money where your mouth is - go BUY a MINI, a Fit or a Fiesta. Then when VWoA sees growth in this segment and they bring the POLO here, you can trade in for that. Until them, stop with the "I'd buy it" BS.

Really what VW needs to do is stop with all the hemming and hawing. Take the cars people want and foot the bill for the crash tests, then make the Polo, Scirocco, etc available as special order car. Don't take the loss on the car, if people are willing to pay the money for one, let them. Then if they are selling a large amount at the import price point they can consider stocking it at dealers at a cheaper price point en masse.
      Brought to you by Carl's Jr ©

Vehicles
      98 jetta vr6, 98 tacoma 3rz.
      02-18-2010 07:13 PM #49
      Dear VWOA,
      Please bring this car, i want it very bad, just give it a try. You might be very surprised as to how many you might sell, I see so many small cars from every other manufacture, you need to bring one too.
      thanks,
      Erik

25. Member
      Vehicles
      MK1 GTI, '95 Golf 2.0T
      02-18-2010 07:23 PM #50
      Bring it down here!! I'll bite the bullet and make car payments again and sell my MK1...yup there I said it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast