Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Kalashnikov - Official AK Thread

1. 02-22-2010 06:09 PM #36
      Agreed...agreed. (and you quoted a mistake I made, the AK-101 is the export model)

02-22-2010 07:04 PM #37
      Nice!!
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

02-22-2010 07:06 PM #38
      Probably gonna start out with baby steps. First convert my 10-22 Ruger rifle to wannabe AK-74. Found a couple kits but one that caught my eye was this one:

http://www.krinkerplinker.com/

Don't know much about it. A little pricey but cheaper than a AK. And a whole lot less expensive to shoot.

4. 02-22-2010 08:38 PM #39
      I'd just leave the 10/22 as-is and get an AK.

Vehicles
      NA, E91, E60
      02-22-2010 09:23 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by Uberhare »
      Probably gonna start out with baby steps. First convert my 10-22 Ruger rifle to wannabe AK-74. Found a couple kits but one that caught my eye was this one:

http://www.krinkerplinker.com/

Don't know much about it. A little pricey but cheaper than a AK. And a whole lot less expensive to shoot.

$400 shipped from TGI. It's a little rough and comes with surplus wood furniture but it's built in Bulgaria using a proper chrome lined barrel. $10 magazines and .12/rd ammo, that's not too bad.

6. 02-22-2010 09:49 PM #41
      Quote, originally posted by DriversFound.com »

Link for the $400 shipped price???

Too late.

http://www.google.com/search?h...g1&oq=

Vehicles
      NA, E91, E60
      02-22-2010 10:05 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by TabulaVicious »

Too late.

http://www.google.com/search?h...g1&oq=

Wrong TGI deal, the raid effectively canceled their Black Friday special. This one is still good to go.

Supposed to be for AK forum members.

Quote »

To receive these special prices you must enter bbtn115 in the ‘coupon key’ when logging in. While these models last your entire order will receive FREE GROUND SHIPPING (CONUS). (HI and AK orders must be charged UPS ground) Shipping will show on the order but will not be charged CONUS. Please help us by entering your FFL dealer’s address as the ship to address and faxing or emailing a copy of their FFL with your name and/or order number referenced. As always, Thanks for your support!

02-22-2010 10:46 PM #43
      Quote, originally posted by Elbows »
      WASR-10s are - as mentioned before, routinely built by Century Arms. Thus, it is a bit of a crap-shoot. As Obin mentioned, you stand a decent chance of getting one which is okay, and might just have a few small issues.

$379.00 is a mediocre price, but guns now days are silly anyway. Another option is to purchase a WASR-10 as cheap as you can, and send it to a good gunsmith to rework into a battle-ready rifle. There are a few companies which produce better rifles in the $500 range. If you're not picking up an Arsenal, or custom-build, I'd try to find a place where you can return the rifle, or have it "fixed" under some kind of warranty.

I disagree a bit with NoDub's nothing over $500 statement. Heck my AKs now run me more than my uber-expensive AR. Unfortunately mine was expensive because I wanted an AK in a certain fashion - which they don't sell, so the modifications to it were expensive.

A reliable, accurate, dependable rifle is worth plenty. Other than the TGI AK which never worked from the get-go, I have not had a single malfunction with any of my AK's, perhaps 2000 rounds through them. Check out http://www.atlanticfirearms.com <- they always have a wide range of rifles in the AK pattern available - just might need to contact them to see who makes certain rifles, as they're a bit skimpy with the details.

5.45 vs. 7.62 is a big debate. 5.45 kicks less than 5.56 is basically as accurate, has better material penetration (barely), and shoots a tiny bit flatter out past 100 yards. However you won't find all the fancy sniper-ammo. Non-corrosive new stuff is .20 per round, surplus corrosive is around .10-.12. The 7.62 is much harder hitting - punches through anything, and is generally more serious than the 5.56/5.45 - but its heavy, and drops like a bowling ball at distance. The AK is a perfect rifle for 300 yards and under. If you want to bipod stuff and plink steel at 500 yards, you'd be better off with an AR.

http://shop.hendersondefense.b...yId=4

doesn't look like a bad deal, will probably pick one up in the near future.

9. 02-23-2010 06:20 AM #44
      If you want real baby steps...this is .22LR also...

PS: I'd still avoid TGI at all costs --- shame this thread is a week too late for the $450 Lancaster Rough Rider AK-74's they had laying around - google it, you may come up with something. Lancaster > TGI.

(Check my post, TGI sold me a rifle that doesn't work - never responded to emails/phone...so I ended up selling it as a parts kit to a friend, f_ck em)

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      02-23-2010 06:32 AM #45
      Last I checked, TGI isn't exactly on the up-and-up either...

Vehicles
      NA, E91, E60
      02-23-2010 09:43 AM #46
      PS: I'd still avoid TGI at all costs --- shame this thread is a week too late for the $450 Lancaster Rough Rider AK-74's they had laying around - google it, you may come up with something. Lancaster > TGI.

(Check my post, TGI sold me a rifle that doesn't work - never responded to emails/phone...so I ended up selling it as a parts kit to a friend, f_ck em)

Not exactly. I actually placed an order for a Lancaster RR back in December and while the rifle was backordered they changed the barrel specs from chrome lined to regular chromoly steel (Atlantic arms) or stainless steel (Aim surplus). Since these rifles were designed to have chrome lined barrels, you probably want to make sure your gun has one too, especially if you're planning on shooting surpus with it.

Last I checked, Lancaster does not offer chrome lined barrels on their base through midlevel 5.45 rifles anymore. Lancaster is known for a terrible customer service, they don't like helping or even talking to their retail customers. The only way to buy their products is through a company like Atlantic Arms who will help you get your broken gun fixed by Lancaster.

Most AK builders put out crappy rifles every now and then. Lancaster had their share and even Arsenal is not immune to this. If that helps, TGI's "truck gun" is built by ISD in Bulgaria.

12. 02-23-2010 02:24 PM #47
      ^Shame about the barrels. That would explain why they were so cheap. I've heard horrible things about Lancaster customer service (something you shouldn't plan on needing with an AK!) Real shame considering my Lancaster was beautiful, accurate, and well built.

13. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      02-23-2010 02:31 PM #48
      Quote, originally posted by 7.62 »
      Most AK builders put out crappy rifles every now and then. Lancaster had their share and even Arsenal is not immune to this. If that helps, TGI's "truck gun" is built by ISD in Bulgaria.

the ROMARM AK parts being used to make kit guns in the USA are the equivalent of the factory reject/quality control failure crap they would be usually melting back down and doing over again at the factory. the ROMARM Pm 63 i saw in Iraq was pretty solid. the same can be said of the vast majority of Serbian AKs being assembled in the USA today. i'm eventually going to get around to digging for a true Zastava gunsmith if i ever choose to have an M70 built from parts. years back I had a Serbian sniper/gunsmith do the trigger on our PSL. the difference is amazing when you have a truly skilled person do this stuff.

obin

"We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

14. 02-24-2010 12:25 AM #49
      http://www.time.com/time/photo....html

Modified by TabulaVicious at 11:27 PM 2-23-2010

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      02-24-2010 12:46 AM #50
      That picture is hysterical in more ways than one!

16. 02-24-2010 01:34 PM #51
      Quote, originally posted by NoDubJustYet »
      That picture is hysterical in more ways than one!

Communism + Hedonism + Wahhabism = GREAT SUCCESS!

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      02-24-2010 01:48 PM #52
      Quote, originally posted by TabulaVicious »

Communism + Hedonism + Wahhabism = GREAT SUCCESS!

Yeah, made me think of where I used to work... Man, I don't miss those people.

I like dealing with inanimate objects that aren't backwards and retarded.

02-24-2010 05:58 PM #53
      Quote, originally posted by SSj4G60 »

http://shop.hendersondefense.b...yId=4

doesn't look like a bad deal, will probably pick one up in the near future.

That's fine if you want all the do-dads but I want just the rifle. Any other good deals for just the rifle and ammo clips?

02-24-2010 06:15 PM #54
      What do-dads???? That's the usual package for Wasrs,
      - 2 "MAGAZINES"
      - Oil bottle
      - Bayonet
      - Ammo pouch

or check classic arms, but for a rifle that is guaranteed not to have the usual Wasr issues $420 isn't too bad.

02-24-2010 07:10 PM #55
      Like I said....Ive been out of the loop for a while. Didn't realize that's the package deal.

21. 02-24-2010 07:23 PM #56
      Quote, originally posted by SSj4G60 »
      What do-dads???? That's the usual package for Wasrs,
      - 2 "MAGAZINES"
      - Oil bottle
      - Bayonet
      - Ammo pouch

There is also the steel capsule with the tools that go along with the cleaning rod. Don't forget the sling! Romanians come with a brown leather or green canvas 2 point sling from the factory. If you don't get it from the seller, you're getting shorted!

I'd reccomend getting atleast 8-10 mags for the rifle though...

22. 02-25-2010 05:33 PM #57
      The AK is a perfect rifle for 300 yards and under. If you want to bipod stuff and plink steel at 500 yards, you'd be better off with an AR.

Cliff Notes: Romanian kit build gun. Commercial "Monarch/Barnaul" brand, off-the-shelf, Russian made ammo. Iron sights. 4/5 hits @ 700 yards on a US Army "D" silhouette "Dog Target". Shooting position: open legged sitting.

Source: http://www.theakforum.net/phpB...76233

700 yard shooting with an AK - can it be done?
      YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those annoying AK rifles. Crude iron sights. Short buttstock. Skinny “broomstick” pistol grip. Loud safety. Crappy trigger.

People ask “Why do you own a “evil” commie rifle?” I personally believe that rifles, like any tool, take on the personality of their users – good, bad or indifferent. I just like AKs. I like ‘em because they work (when built correctly) and are brutally rugged. I admit Red Dawn had an influence as well. I can trust it to go bang when I squeeze the trigger. They are spread worldwide and to me its good to know how to run one.

I’ve always heard talk that the AK wasn’t good for anything farther than 200 yards away. Most “AK Training Classes” seem to focus on using AKs at pistol distances. I’ve pretty much agreed with that short-range limitation assessment, but I’ve often wondered what if that wasn’t true? What if - in a pinch – with Rifleman skills – it could do something more than it was expected to do? Thursday at the Davilla Texas 11/08 Appleseed Boot Camp I got an opportunity to find out…

Thursday, November 6, 2008. Davilla, TX during the week long Appleseed Rifleman's Boot Camp (RBC) - late afternoon near dusk.

Shooter - MPiKM-72

Target - Army "D" silhouette "Dog Target".

Distance - 700 yards known distance measured with a laser range finder.

Rifle - 7.62x39 1977 Romanian "G" AKM kit from Cope's (when they had 'em) on a Global Trades $50 "blem" US receiver - built by me with the appropriate 922r compliance parts - my "trunk gun". Barrel is like new. Standard TAPCO single hook trigger group. Total cost to build was $250. "Battlefield Pickup" look. Rear iron sights cranked up to 600 meters. BSZ was set at 300 yards earlier in the day (prolly should have done some more math to make it meters - but I was in public and we all know public math is always ugly).

Match conditioning: I did remove the cleaning rod because I've heard that it can impart some level of vibration/harmonics on the barrel. Oh, I also removed the slanted muzzle brake (enough US compliance parts were on the rifle at the time it was fired for those concerned with such things – thank you).

Ammo - Barnaul (Monarch) 7.62x39 123 gr. FMJ bought the week before on sale at Academy. $.16 per round.

Position: Stage 2 Open Legged Sitting. I first tried a prone position but when prone there was a rise in the ground that obscured the targets. I like sitting anyway. Hammy, worn leather sling for support.

Number of rounds fired: 5 shots at "Rifleman's Cadence" (rapid).

Results: The rounds actually hit the D target I was aiming at. Four hits in the "3" scoring area – the fifth round is lost to eternity. 2 shots impacted on the lower left side of the target an inch apart from each other under the black portion of the silhouette. Two shots impacted on the right side of the target an inch apart from each other at the same level at the "V" - just outside the black The two groups were 24" apart = 3.42 MOA, excluding the 5th round of course.

Priceless: Knowing you can nail enemies 700 yards away with your beater, $250 AK "that's only good out to 200 yards" because of what you learned in the Appleseed Program.

Each bullet apparently destabilized from loss of energy at that distance and went through the target sideways aka keyholed. At least the bullet impacts were consistent - each bullet point outline in the target was pointing at 8 o'clock! They did penetrate the plywood backer and would definitely ruin an enemy's whole day if he were hit by one of those projectiles. 3 IIT witnesses signed my target record (I’ll add a pic of it soon - I couldn't keep the "Dog" target - they are large and expensive so we paste them up and re-use them). It was near dark and we had to paste up the target and get back to the line. My camera was about 700 yards away from the known distance range - I'd left it in the trunk of my car.

I almost chose not to shoot at that 700 yard distance. My AR was "having split personality issues" at the time - lower receiver assembly being used by one shooter, upper assembly with ACOG by another shooter. The AK was there in its case, but I had my doubts about it at that range. But there was ammo for it, there were magazines and the rifle was calling out “just give me a chance”. I could hardly discern the targets - but how often does a city boy get the opportunity to shoot at 700 yards? "I had to get it on!" I waited until one shooter was finished and took his spot at the very far right of the line so I could aim at the right edge of that long white blur 700 yards away. I couldn't even see the black area of the target. I took a SWAG at setting the rear sight elevation to 600 meters and I placed the focused, crude front sight post on the same blurry spot at the far right of the long white blur each time. Got my NPOA (Natural Point of Aim - a technique the Appleseed Program focuses on) and went through the 6 steps of firing the shot at a rifleman’s cadence.

No one was more surprised at the results than me! (I did have "Lord of War" on while I was packing for boot camp. Maybe that was it. ) It may have been a one time fluke, but I look forward to the opportunity to attempt repeat the results in the future. Perhaps next I’ll go for a full known distance AQT (Army Qualification Target under a time crunch) with it next time. I’m even having thoughts about a Saiga .308 with a 21.5” barrel.

Appleseed is not for profit and is an equal opportunity rifle employer.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php? ... ;topicseen

Added the signed target record photo. The actual targets are huge and expensive, so we tape 'em up and keep using them. Instructors signed the record as witnesses.

23. 02-25-2010 05:52 PM #58
      Hey man, didn't say it couldn't be done...but for most of us, for instance myself...I'm concentrating on defensive rifle fighting, so within a more reasonable scope. I have no doubt I could reach out pretty damn well with my rifles too. (The 5.45 is a bit flatter than the 7.62)

There are millions of dead people who'll admit the AK is a damn fine fighting rifle (sadly a lot of Yanks on that list)

24. 03-04-2010 07:32 PM #59

Four hundred? How about $350?

http://www.centerfiresystems.c...AK-74

Vehicles
      NA, E91, E60
      03-04-2010 09:18 PM #60
      If that's a CAI built rifle, and I believe it is, they can keep it.

26. 03-14-2010 12:53 AM #61
      The 2nd edition of this "book" is out. It's available at Barnes & Noble and Walmart, among other places. I just picked up my copy today.

Obin, this magazine has a 6 page article on the Russian NV scopes you asked me about a while ago.

Get yours today and be as happy as this guy:

27. 03-14-2010 07:46 AM #62
      I picked up "AK-47 The Grim Reaper" - amazing book btw.

900 pages or so - covers the development, history, etc of the AK rifle, and provides amazing pictures and detail on just about EVERY AK derivative rifle in existence. Its a bit daunting, but the pictures, details and explanations are great.

Includes a magazine/ammunition section as well - covers the bulk of US available AK rifles too.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      03-14-2010 09:26 AM #63
      I've been debating putting a scope on the SGL21, but after shooting the AR with the red dot, I've decided to. I plan on going the Ultimak rail route with a small red dot. Probably the new Vortex SPARC.

Something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      That looks nothing like jizz. And i've seen a fair amount of jizz in my time.

29. 03-14-2010 12:00 PM #64
      Quote, originally posted by CO Boy »
      I've been debating putting a scope on the SGL21, but after shooting the AR with the red dot, I've decided to. I plan on going the Ultimak rail route with a small red dot. Probably the new Vortex SPARC.

I went with the PK-AS.

Not me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8KV6uoQTq4

The main thing I like about it is the etched glass black dot works without batteries. Flip on the power switch and it becomes a black dot.

30. 03-14-2010 04:38 PM #65
      CO Boy - check my rifle on the first page - its a great idea. That Vortex Sparc is going to sell like mad when it comes out (assuming its as good as their other products!)

I'll be ending up with an AK w/ T1, M6-AK w/ T1, and I'm going to run my RMR on my other AK.

31. 03-15-2010 11:00 AM #66
      My Romi Draco stock.

And after, with Midwest's fore end rail system, Hogue grip, RPK muzzle brake, Tapco G2 (stage2) trigger.

Cali legal Krink. (very hot)

Yugo under folder. with repro plum.

That gun is...............................

Modified by stomp.13 at 11:10 AM 3-15-2010

32. 03-15-2010 11:05 AM #67
      another Romi Draco but with a VZ58 side folder stock.

NOT MY GUN

Another Draco.

Modified by stomp.13 at 11:06 AM 3-15-2010

33. 03-15-2010 11:08 AM #68
      stock Romi Draco top,
      semi-modded Krink bottom.

34. 03-15-2010 06:30 PM #69
      Just got bored and was perusing some YouTube videos - some neat stuff on there.

Arsenal SLR test w/ dirt in the action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QbZWg4lRkg

5.56/5.45 comparison (shows the tendency of the 5.45 to tumble madly)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqaeX2KigSc

Prototype 60-round magazine (quad-stack design) - not yet released for sale. There are rumours, someone is trying to make one for civilian sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lated

There's an AK in this video. That is all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzOb70klxDM

Vehicles
      1996 GTI hoopty
      03-16-2010 11:59 AM #70
      Hey, where's the rest of the barrel on some of those Romi Krinks?
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast