Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Kalashnikov - Official AK Thread

1. 02-21-2010 02:14 PM #26
      WASR-10s are - as mentioned before, routinely built by Century Arms. Thus, it is a bit of a crap-shoot. As Obin mentioned, you stand a decent chance of getting one which is okay, and might just have a few small issues.
      $379.00 is a mediocre price, but guns now days are silly anyway. Another option is to purchase a WASR-10 as cheap as you can, and send it to a good gunsmith to rework into a battle-ready rifle. There are a few companies which produce better rifles in the $500 range. If you're not picking up an Arsenal, or custom-build, I'd try to find a place where you can return the rifle, or have it "fixed" under some kind of warranty.
      I disagree a bit with NoDub's nothing over $500 statement. Heck my AKs now run me more than my uber-expensive AR. Unfortunately mine was expensive because I wanted an AK in a certain fashion - which they don't sell, so the modifications to it were expensive.
      A reliable, accurate, dependable rifle is worth plenty. Other than the TGI AK which never worked from the get-go, I have not had a single malfunction with any of my AK's, perhaps 2000 rounds through them. Check out http://www.atlanticfirearms.com <- they always have a wide range of rifles in the AK pattern available - just might need to contact them to see who makes certain rifles, as they're a bit skimpy with the details.
      5.45 vs. 7.62 is a big debate. 5.45 kicks less than 5.56 is basically as accurate, has better material penetration (barely), and shoots a tiny bit flatter out past 100 yards. However you won't find all the fancy sniper-ammo. Non-corrosive new stuff is .20 per round, surplus corrosive is around .10-.12. The 7.62 is much harder hitting - punches through anything, and is generally more serious than the 5.56/5.45 - but its heavy, and drops like a bowling ball at distance. The AK is a perfect rifle for 300 yards and under. If you want to bipod stuff and plink steel at 500 yards, you'd be better off with an AR.

2. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      02-21-2010 03:17 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by NoDubJustYet &raquo;
      Personally, I think it's retarded to spend more than about $500 on an AK - it defeats the purpose to spend anymore.

after finding out what governments pay for their AKs i don't feel bad about the prices we pay these days. if you buy the a Romarm PM63 10,000 at a time they'll charge you $350 each. so buying a somewhat neutered version of the same gun for the same price is not really that bad considering NO quantity discount. the Norinco Type 56s cost $100-$125 in bulk but that's only because the Chinese government subsidizes the cost 50%. in reality they are $200-$250 guns but that's because the Chinese want to undercut everyone else's prices in order to get a foothold on a defense contract.
      i paid $269.95 + shipping and fees for our SAR-1 back in 2002. that's not that bad really. try finding ANY sort of AK for any price these days and you can't do it. blame the internet actually. once foreign countries found out how much we were inflating the prices on their guns they jacked the prices up at the factory. we'll NEVER see $269.95 for a foreign-made AK ever again. it just won't happen unless all 3 branches of government go Libertarian.
      obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      Noggy B6 S4, CW MKV R32, Pentastar JKU
      02-21-2010 09:24 PM #28

4. 02-22-2010 02:00 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by Elbows &raquo;
      If you want to bipod stuff and plink steel at 500 yards, you'd be better off with an AR.

They make AK's in 7.62x54R.

5. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02-22-2010 01:55 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by TabulaVicious &raquo;
      They make AK's in 7.62x54R.

they make 'em in 8mm Mauser as well.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

6. 02-22-2010 05:44 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson &raquo;
      they make 'em in 8mm Mauser as well.
      obin

And 76.2x558mm (seventy-six point two by five hundred and fifty-eight milimeters) for those really big jobs.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-176

02-22-2010 05:53 PM #32
      Anyone own a AK-74 yet or is that even possible to get over here in the USA?
      The lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep.

8. 02-22-2010 06:01 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by Uberhare &raquo;
      Anyone own a AK-74 yet or is that even possible to get over here in the USA?

Elbows owns a few. The 5.45 surplus ammo is the cheapest centerfire cartridge you can buy right now, around $.12 a shot if you buy it by the crate.

9. 02-22-2010 06:02 PM #34
      Check my post - the twin black rifles (one modified now, other in the works) are both AK-100/74 series rifles. They fire 5.45.
      This is the AK-100 series (the current issued AK pattern fighting rifle for the Russian military)

The AK-100 series are the basic new crop of current firearms for the Russian military. Don't get me wrong, the vast majority are still equipped with AK-74s, and AKMs (wood/plum furniture etc.) But for top of the line, this is what they're running.
      AK-101: Polymer furniture, normal length rifle, operating in 5.56 nato
      AK-102: Shortened carbine model in 5.56 (export to NATO countries)
      AK-103: Polymer furniture normal length rifle in 7.62x39
      AK-104: Shortened carbine model in 7.62x39
      AK-105 Shortened carbine in 5.45

Modified by Elbows at 3:08 PM 2-22-2010

10. 02-22-2010 06:04 PM #35
      This is the AK-101 (the current issued 5.45 AK-74 pattern fighting rifle for the Russian military)

Nice, but I prefer this photo:

11. 02-22-2010 06:09 PM #36
      Agreed...agreed. (and you quoted a mistake I made, the AK-101 is the export model)

02-22-2010 07:04 PM #37
      Nice!!

02-22-2010 07:06 PM #38
      Probably gonna start out with baby steps. First convert my 10-22 Ruger rifle to wannabe AK-74. Found a couple kits but one that caught my eye was this one:
      http://www.krinkerplinker.com/
      Don't know much about it. A little pricey but cheaper than a AK. And a whole lot less expensive to shoot.

14. 02-22-2010 08:38 PM #39
      I'd just leave the 10/22 as-is and get an AK.

Vehicles
      NA, E91, E60
      02-22-2010 09:23 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by Uberhare &raquo;
      Probably gonna start out with baby steps. First convert my 10-22 Ruger rifle to wannabe AK-74. Found a couple kits but one that caught my eye was this one:
      http://www.krinkerplinker.com/
      Don't know much about it. A little pricey but cheaper than a AK. And a whole lot less expensive to shoot.

$400 shipped from TGI. It's a little rough and comes with surplus wood furniture but it's built in Bulgaria using a proper chrome lined barrel. $10 magazines and .12/rd ammo, that's not too bad.

16. 02-22-2010 09:49 PM #41
      Quote, originally posted by DriversFound.com &raquo;
      Link for the $400 shipped price???

Too late.
      http://www.google.com/search?h...g1&oq=

Vehicles
      NA, E91, E60
      02-22-2010 10:05 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by TabulaVicious &raquo;
      Too late.
      http://www.google.com/search?h...g1&oq=

Wrong TGI deal, the raid effectively canceled their Black Friday special. This one is still good to go.
      Quote, originally posted by DriversFound.com &raquo;
      Link for the $400 shipped price???

Supposed to be for AK forum members.
      Quote &raquo;
      To receive these special prices you must enter bbtn115 in the ‘coupon key’ when logging in. While these models last your entire order will receive FREE GROUND SHIPPING (CONUS). (HI and AK orders must be charged UPS ground) Shipping will show on the order but will not be charged CONUS. Please help us by entering your FFL dealer’s address as the ship to address and faxing or emailing a copy of their FFL with your name and/or order number referenced. As always, Thanks for your support!

02-22-2010 10:46 PM #43
      WASR-10s are - as mentioned before, routinely built by Century Arms. Thus, it is a bit of a crap-shoot. As Obin mentioned, you stand a decent chance of getting one which is okay, and might just have a few small issues.
      $379.00 is a mediocre price, but guns now days are silly anyway. Another option is to purchase a WASR-10 as cheap as you can, and send it to a good gunsmith to rework into a battle-ready rifle. There are a few companies which produce better rifles in the $500 range. If you're not picking up an Arsenal, or custom-build, I'd try to find a place where you can return the rifle, or have it "fixed" under some kind of warranty.
      I disagree a bit with NoDub's nothing over $500 statement. Heck my AKs now run me more than my uber-expensive AR. Unfortunately mine was expensive because I wanted an AK in a certain fashion - which they don't sell, so the modifications to it were expensive.
      A reliable, accurate, dependable rifle is worth plenty. Other than the TGI AK which never worked from the get-go, I have not had a single malfunction with any of my AK's, perhaps 2000 rounds through them. Check out http://www.atlanticfirearms.com <- they always have a wide range of rifles in the AK pattern available - just might need to contact them to see who makes certain rifles, as they're a bit skimpy with the details.
      5.45 vs. 7.62 is a big debate. 5.45 kicks less than 5.56 is basically as accurate, has better material penetration (barely), and shoots a tiny bit flatter out past 100 yards. However you won't find all the fancy sniper-ammo. Non-corrosive new stuff is .20 per round, surplus corrosive is around .10-.12. The 7.62 is much harder hitting - punches through anything, and is generally more serious than the 5.56/5.45 - but its heavy, and drops like a bowling ball at distance. The AK is a perfect rifle for 300 yards and under. If you want to bipod stuff and plink steel at 500 yards, you'd be better off with an AR.

http://shop.hendersondefense.b...yId=4
      doesn't look like a bad deal, will probably pick one up in the near future.

19. 02-23-2010 06:20 AM #44
      If you want real baby steps...this is .22LR also...

PS: I'd still avoid TGI at all costs --- shame this thread is a week too late for the $450 Lancaster Rough Rider AK-74's they had laying around - google it, you may come up with something. Lancaster > TGI.
      (Check my post, TGI sold me a rifle that doesn't work - never responded to emails/phone...so I ended up selling it as a parts kit to a friend, f_ck em)

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      02-23-2010 06:32 AM #45
      Last I checked, TGI isn't exactly on the up-and-up either...
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

Vehicles
      NA, E91, E60
      02-23-2010 09:43 AM #46
      PS: I'd still avoid TGI at all costs --- shame this thread is a week too late for the $450 Lancaster Rough Rider AK-74's they had laying around - google it, you may come up with something. Lancaster > TGI.
      (Check my post, TGI sold me a rifle that doesn't work - never responded to emails/phone...so I ended up selling it as a parts kit to a friend, f_ck em)

Not exactly. I actually placed an order for a Lancaster RR back in December and while the rifle was backordered they changed the barrel specs from chrome lined to regular chromoly steel (Atlantic arms) or stainless steel (Aim surplus). Since these rifles were designed to have chrome lined barrels, you probably want to make sure your gun has one too, especially if you're planning on shooting surpus with it.
      Last I checked, Lancaster does not offer chrome lined barrels on their base through midlevel 5.45 rifles anymore. Lancaster is known for a terrible customer service, they don't like helping or even talking to their retail customers. The only way to buy their products is through a company like Atlantic Arms who will help you get your broken gun fixed by Lancaster.
      Most AK builders put out crappy rifles every now and then. Lancaster had their share and even Arsenal is not immune to this. If that helps, TGI's "truck gun" is built by ISD in Bulgaria.

22. 02-23-2010 02:24 PM #47
      ^Shame about the barrels. That would explain why they were so cheap. I've heard horrible things about Lancaster customer service (something you shouldn't plan on needing with an AK!) Real shame considering my Lancaster was beautiful, accurate, and well built.

23. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02-23-2010 02:31 PM #48
      Quote, originally posted by 7.62 &raquo;
      Most AK builders put out crappy rifles every now and then. Lancaster had their share and even Arsenal is not immune to this. If that helps, TGI's "truck gun" is built by ISD in Bulgaria.

the ROMARM AK parts being used to make kit guns in the USA are the equivalent of the factory reject/quality control failure crap they would be usually melting back down and doing over again at the factory. the ROMARM Pm 63 i saw in Iraq was pretty solid. the same can be said of the vast majority of Serbian AKs being assembled in the USA today. i'm eventually going to get around to digging for a true Zastava gunsmith if i ever choose to have an M70 built from parts. years back I had a Serbian sniper/gunsmith do the trigger on our PSL. the difference is amazing when you have a truly skilled person do this stuff.
      obin

24. 02-24-2010 12:25 AM #49
      http://www.time.com/time/photo....html

Modified by TabulaVicious at 11:27 PM 2-23-2010

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      02-24-2010 12:46 AM #50
      That picture is hysterical in more ways than one!
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast