1992 VW Corrado SLC
      02-07-2011 12:48 PM #141
      Where at?

02-07-2011 01:01 PM #142
      J&G sales!

Vehicles
      1992 VW Corrado SLC
      02-07-2011 03:39 PM #143
      Not exactly sure how to go about ordering a fire arm over the net? says i have to have federal firearm license

02-07-2011 03:43 PM #144
      Nope, you need to find a dealer close to you(FFL Holder) and ask them if it's ok to ship there, then call J&G and give them the FFL holders info, pay for it, then J&G sends it to the FFL/store, you pick it up from the store and fill out your background check there, and the store might tag you with a small transfer fee.

It's really not that bad. Totally worth it for the price... A lot of local shops will sell the same rifle for $100+ more, because they think everyone is dumb.

Vehicles
      1992 VW Corrado SLC
      02-07-2011 03:49 PM #145
      Yeah i did notice that they are 100+ more if you buy it from a shop for the same rifle? Awesome thanks for the info

6. 02-07-2011 10:16 PM #146
      Yep, online ordering process for most is quite easy.

1) Find a local FFL who you think is trustworthy. I prefer shooting schools, or gunsmiths --- anybody but a normal gun shop. Gun shops tend to give you grief because you didn't buy the same rifle from them for $250 more. Some people are FFLs simply to make money from transfers. These are the best to deal with. Also be advised, some shops will not transfer a firearm to you - IF they sell the same firearm. I had a shop tell me this once, so I said "cya".

2) Once you have an FFL you're cool with --- contact the company selling the firearm, and purchase it. Check with the company to see if they have your FFL listed (a lot of companies will keep a list of FFL's they do business with frequently). If they do not have info for your FFL, get a fax number/phone number, and contac your FFL. Tell them you have ordered a firearm and wish to have it transferred through them. They will then send a copy of their FFL to the company you ordered from.

3) The firearm will be shipped (once paid, and FFL provided) to the FFL. The FFL will then call you - you go, inspect the firearm, and fill out your background check paperwork. The FFL will charge you for a transfer. I've never paid more than $25 for one - but some places people have to pay $100+! Once your background check clears, and you pay your FFL for his assistance, you take possession of the firearm.

Done. Sounds daunting, but it's really simple - these people do this all the time.

Typical phone call: "Hi, my name is ______, I just purchased a _______ from _(company)_. Could you please send them your FFL information?". The FFL will take some contact info from you, and call you when it shows up (about 3-7 business days depending).

****HOWEVER****

Some states have waiting periods, restrictions on what you can/cannot purchase, etc. Make sure you are aware of these before you start ordering a bunch of firearms. Also, any NFA regulated firearms and its a totally different process (suppressors, short-barreld rifles, etc.).

7. 02-07-2011 10:37 PM #147
      PS: Been a while since I posted any updates on the rifles.

"The Brown B_tch" (SLR-105R w/ RD work)

Round count: around 4,000+ w/ zero malfunctions of any type (not even ammo related).

-Replaced trigger, after a cheapo trigger resulted in some unintended burst fire.
      -Added LaRue mount with LED Lenser light, Aimpoint T1
      -US Palm, AK Battle Grip
      -Painted and abused.
      -This rifle is getting a new barrel/brake/gasblock/sight in the next month or two. Found some interesting stuff to play with.

The Black rifle is still on backup status, hasn't fired more than perhaps 1,500 rounds, and not much since it was modified/fixed up. I noticed the other day that the front sight block was a bit canted, so I'll have to adjust it sometime in the future.

8. 02-07-2011 10:44 PM #148
      how much could I get one for? Just as a throwaway, zombie apocalypse, take friends out to shoot an AK gun...anything I should avoid or should I just go for the cheapest one?

9. Member
      02-08-2011 07:12 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by HighFructoseCornSyrp View Post
      how much could I get one for? Just as a throwaway, zombie apocalypse, take friends out to shoot an AK gun...anything I should avoid or should I just go for the cheapest one?
      I got a Romanian WASR 10/63 with G2 trigger group and a hogue grip for $440 and that was with 600 rounds of ammo and 5 mags. I got a good deal since just the rifle sells new for $399. The grip, mags and ammo would have been an additional ~$250 give or take

If you buy an AK, check for a crooked front sight and a crooked gas block. Look straight down the gun like you would if you were shooting it. The front sight should be straight up and down as should the gas block. Also make sure the front sight post is straight up and down.

I've labeled this photo of my AK to indicate where the gas block is since I had a hard time figuring out exactly what it was when I first got mine.
      Last edited by bunnytruck; 02-08-2011 at 07:26 PM.

02-08-2011 07:23 PM #150
      Bunny, how do you like that Hogue? are they as soft as they look? I got one of the knock off grips and it sucks.

11. Member
      02-08-2011 07:30 PM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by SilleyWilley View Post
      Bunny, how do you like that Hogue? are they as soft as they look? I got one of the knock off grips and it sucks.
      Man I love it. I especially love it because it came with the rifle but it has a really nice feel to it. If you're switching from the stock grip, you'll definitely like it. It's not really "soft" -- I'm having a hard time explaining it. You also have to understand that I've never fired an AK with a factory grip. I've only ever fired this one so I really don't have anything to compare it to.

02-08-2011 07:50 PM #152
      Close enough

If you say it's comfortable, then it's a vast improvement over any surplus grip. The original grip in plastic can cause some fatigue during extended shooting sessions.

The rubberized grip I got a couple years ago is buried in the bottom of my "gun junk" tote, as it was bulky, too long and has an uncomfortable bump on one side. I didn't think it was much different until I installed it and gave it a try. It was cheap though.... I should have known.

btw: how long did it take you to set up all those bullets for the pic?

13. Member
      02-08-2011 08:48 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by SilleyWilley View Post
      btw: how long did it take you to set up all those bullets for the pic?
      lets just say i had a day off and had finished everything i needed to do that day. about an hour and a half
      the whole time i was thinking "why am i doing this?"

Vehicles
      1992 VW Corrado SLC
      02-09-2011 11:16 AM #154
      Evil high capacity mag??

15. Member
      02-09-2011 12:07 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by machine_war View Post
      Evil high capacity mag??
      it's a joke. I was being sarcastic in light of the recent efforts to ban high cap mags in AZ.

16. 02-09-2011 03:24 PM #156
      You mean banning high capacity magazines over the entire country.

02-09-2011 03:55 PM #157
      As long as you bought them before the ban you're good.

18. Member
      02-09-2011 09:02 PM #158
      That reminds me. I need to order about 20 more 30 round AK mags.

02-19-2011 05:10 PM #159
      Picked up a Polytech today... pics soon

edit for pics

Last edited by SilleyWilley; 02-19-2011 at 06:23 PM.

20. 02-20-2011 09:16 PM #160
      That. Is. Gorgeous.

02-21-2011 07:28 AM #161
      Thanks Elbows
      I need a chicom muzzle nut and sling, and then it'll be done.

Vehicles
      1992 VW Corrado SLC
      03-03-2011 03:15 PM #162
      How do you guys feel about the Century International Arms GP 1975 Ak's? Ive been reading some mixed reviews on them. There's one semi locally for sale and im thinking about shooting the guy a offer.

Edit: After reading some of what Elbows posted earlier in this thread im not sur if even offering him 300 is worth it
      Last edited by machine_war; 03-03-2011 at 03:31 PM.

23. 03-03-2011 04:01 PM #163
      I wouldn't say that much --- but in reality the general consensus is that if you know some things about the AK, they are worth buying if you can go hands on with one. Lots of guys go into a shop, pick up five or six different WASRs until they find one which operates smoothly, doesn't have magazine issues, the springs are installed properly, doesn't have canted sights or gas block. Would I order one cheap online somewhere? Eh...

Also, if you're planning/willing to have it "fixed" by a competent gunsmith, it may be worth while. A nicer option for WASRs is Henderson Defense, or Interarms. Not as cheap, but a better firearm.

Vehicles
      1992 VW Corrado SLC
      03-03-2011 05:29 PM #164
      Can they be any worse of a project then a daily VW Corrado
      In all seriousness im willing to to tinker and go "hands on with it." i Just dont know that much about guns to begin with but i dont mind having a bottom of the barrel ak as long as it will shoot straight and not have some of the horror story issues that ive read about online
      Last edited by machine_war; 03-03-2011 at 05:31 PM.

25. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      03-04-2011 10:11 AM #165
      How do you guys feel about the Century International Arms GP 1975 Ak's? Ive been reading some mixed reviews on them. There's one semi locally for sale and im thinking about shooting the guy a offer.

Edit: After reading some of what Elbows posted earlier in this thread im not sur if even offering him 300 is worth it
      i have a personal view on not just AKs but most firearms in general. i like buying guns all assembled under one roof by a skilled gunsmith. both of my AKs were completely built overseas: Romania and Hungary. the barrel, the receiver, and other critical parts are foreign. the only american parts are for compliance.

if i was looking for another AK i'd be looking at the Maadi AKs that come up under auction. those are the best balance between cheap and good. they're basically russian AKs and the market hasn't overinflated their prices yet. get them while you can.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

26. 03-06-2011 01:15 AM #166
      Obin,

I agree with all of what you said except for the Egyptian remark. The Egyptians could give two sihts about what they export, because what do they care? It's going to the Americans which they could give two sihts about. Having worked overseas with numerous Egyptians, almost all of them despise anything to do with Americans. They dealt with us begrudgingly only because money was coming to them.

The Maadi's were bottom of the barrel AK's back in the early 90's, and I remember my Dad ordering one from the Shotgun News for something ridiculous like $200. I thought I got a screaming deal, sold my SNES (lulz) I think to get it. I was all of 12 or so... Upon arrival, the damn thing shot insanely low and to either the left or right. I forget which.

Upon inspection, it had the exact issue that some of the WASR's have, horribly canted sites. I don't recall the build quality being all that great either. I picked up a Bulgarian SLR-95 and was in bliss...until my focus switched over to this shiny FN-FAL hackjob that I saw at a pawn shop...but that's another story.

On a side note, I picked up an AMD-65 two or so years ago and could NOT be happier with it. The folding stock is actually a pleasure to shoot with. Took off the goofy front grip and replaced it with a quad-rail.

A hand-picked WASR is a good basic AK if you know what your looking for. I've owned three and haven't been disappointed, but I had to inspect them before purchase. I'd spend the few extra bucks on an AMD-65 though. Smooth as buttah!
      Peach Blossom - Team My Little Pony

Vehicles
      1992 VW Corrado SLC
      03-07-2011 05:51 PM #167
      Alright so all the cheap WASR's and Sar's go real fast around these parts and after doing a little reading i think i may bite the bullet () on better built model.

Locally looking at a Asenal SA M7 carbine. $900.0 and a Vector for around $650.0
      Dont know if i can bring myself to spend that much but im done ranting and will post pics if i nut up!
      Last edited by machine_war; 03-07-2011 at 05:54 PM.

28. 03-07-2011 06:14 PM #168
      If you want to spend right in the middle...check out the Arsenal/SAIGA built guns. These are Russian receivers brought into the country as sporting rifles, then refitted with some Bulgarian/US parts to be US compliant. (Arsenal rifles are one of the few rifles in the US which are made from brand new parts - not a mash up of old parts kits like WASRs etc. They are as close as you can get to a production NEW AK pattern rifle. The Saiga models feature an actual Russian receiver - unlike most of the AKs on the US market which use US receivers etc. Barrels are Bulgarian made -the Saigas may even have Russian barrels, all chrome lined etc.)

$770 on average, which is a very reasonable price for the product you're getting.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=353

Though, to make you feel bad these were selling for $599 sometime last year, which was a freakin' steal!

I run one of the Arsenal/SAIGAs but in 5.45x39 instead of the normal 7.62x39. These are really a great offer, with a slim chance of something needing any tweaking.

PS: I would also recommend you stick to Warsaw length furniture. NATO length stuff is 1.5" longer, and while it's fine for sitting on a bench and shooting small groups, it is more like a longer hunting rifle length, and does not work well for quick wielding of the rifle, or using the rifle while wearing gear etc.
      Last edited by Elbows; 03-07-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Vehicles
      1992 VW Corrado SLC
      03-08-2011 06:21 PM #170
      Well bought this today

Havent shot it yet so i will let you guys know if im happy with my purchase

30. 03-08-2011 06:56 PM #171
      Looks ban-era, is that the SA 7?

Vehicles
      1992 VW Corrado SLC
      03-08-2011 07:26 PM #172
      Thats what it was advertised as but upon further inspection there where no markings of this gun being a arsenal? says "ISD Bulgaria" "Made in Bulgaria" on one side

Look to me that it is a ssr-85c-2 TGI gun but im still researching

Anyways i Talked the guy down to six hope i didnt get ripped!

32. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      03-08-2011 08:47 PM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by medicracer View Post
      I'd spend the few extra bucks on an AMD-65 though. Smooth as buttah!
      the Maadis aren't perfect but they're 100% made overseas. the ones I've shot felt okay. canted sights are a super easy fix. you only need dental floss and a drift punch.

spend the extra $200 like i did and get it back to original configuration.

i have about 2,400 rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions (except when i didn't wind the drum all the way up but that's my fault and not the gun's)

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

33. 03-09-2011 01:09 AM #174
      Thats what it was advertised as but upon further inspection there where no markings of this gun being a arsenal? says "ISD Bulgaria" "Made in Bulgaria" on one side

Look to me that it is a ssr-85c-2 TGI gun but im still researching

Anyways i Talked the guy down to six hope i didnt get ripped!
      I'm not up to speed on the older Arsenals - but some very old ones are actually built in Bulgaria etc. TGI...well...don't get me started on them. At 600 or so, if it hasn't been shot to pieces, it's worth it, assuming it runs, and aims true. Though at 600, I would have also pushed and went for the SGL as a sure thing at 740.

The nice thing about AKs...if its built right, it'll last you forever. So, at the end of the day - if it shoots its worthwhile. Don't panic.

Vehicles
      1992 VW Corrado SLC
      03-10-2011 05:18 PM #175
      Went out and shot the bulgy and well loved it
      I still think i got ripped off since its a TGI gun and not a Arsenal but the rifle seems to function Ok, My impatience got the best of me but nothing i can do about it now.

I need more practice but im almost ready for the zombies

Any pointers for first few ugrades?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast