Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Kalashnikov - Official AK Thread

1. 12-02-2011 03:16 PM #281
      Look back through the thread, and you'll see lots of 74-style owners here. It's all I own. I don't own or run surplus, but I may pick up a couple of cases. It's corrosive, which I'm not a big fan of. Both of my go-to guns are 5.45x39.

The best available one right now is a Arsenal Saiga SGL-31, which start around $820.00. You can find others for cheaper, but like all things, you'll have more risk of defects as you sink down toward the $400-500 range.

2. 12-26-2011 06:09 PM #282
      A little bit of "WTF" from our Hungarian friends. How would you like a 14+ lb AK rifle?

And to balance that out, Travis Haley grabbed a RD-74 (nearly identical to mine)

3. 12-29-2011 02:10 PM #283
      The most useless, albeit comical example of reliability...

AK with a full Twinkie shoved inside it before loading and firing. It then links to the same test with an AR.

Must have smelled great.

4. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      01-03-2012 09:05 PM #284
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      A little bit of "WTF" from our Hungarian friends. How would you like a 14+ lb AK rifle?

And to balance that out, Travis Haley grabbed a RD-74 (nearly identical to mine)
      The AK with all the accessories reminds me of something I learned in Iraq. Foreign soldiers like to use our gear (Aimpoints, bipod grips, etc) not because they are superior but because they think they look like cool American movie stars with that stuff. They play the same video games we do and watch the same action movies. They want to look and act like Jet Li, Rambo, or Bruce Willis because they think our stuff is, well, cool. I bet the photo was taken of all this gear because the guy's rifle was the coolest looking around. In all honesty it's not going to be any more accurate, effective, or reliable than the weapons his own country makes but hey they'll look cooler to all his friends back home.

As far as Travis Haley goes what's up with the awkward left hand grip? Is it meant to block off his peripheral vision more or is it meant to make it easier for his left forearm to be shot off?

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

5. 01-03-2012 09:18 PM #285
      Just running it like he runs his AR's - in a way. He runs the straight-out overhand 3-gun style grip on his ARs. It doesn't really cut down any peripheral or expose your arm much more than usual. You can't really do it on an AK. It also is a bit less stressful on the wrist. I've never tried it because I run Ultimaks and it'd burn my hand up I think.

PS: Obin, that Hungarian kit is actually produced by their military --- they had pics of a whole unit equipped with similar atrocities

6. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-03-2012 09:44 PM #286
      Just running it like he runs his AR's - in a way. He runs the straight-out overhand 3-gun style grip on his ARs. It doesn't really cut down any peripheral or expose your arm much more than usual. You can't really do it on an AK. It also is a bit less stressful on the wrist. I've never tried it because I run Ultimaks and it'd burn my hand up I think.

PS: Obin, that Hungarian kit is actually produced by their military --- they had pics of a whole unit equipped with similar atrocities
      I can't see it being less stressful on a wrist. If I am holding my left hand out in a fist I find it easier to have my hand vertically rather than horizontally. I mean have you ever seen a boxer punch someone with his thumbnail? It just doesn't make sense and I haven't ever seen any military or SWAT unit do it. But hey maybe he has some crazy bone structure in his wrist and finds it comfortable.

As far as the Hungarian unit: they're part of NATO now right? It makes sense if they now have a stack of Aimpoints and HK grenade launchers.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

7. 01-04-2012 04:51 PM #287
      You can't do it properly on an AK. The Magpul AFG was developed to aid this grip --- a grip derived from the competition community. For up close shooting it seems to have a lot of followers (including soldiers, etc.). Some guys shoot normal, some shoot this grip (referred to simply as 3-Gun Grip in a lot of places).

This is a good example, where it shows how a properly used AFG keeps your wrist from binding at any angle. Suffice to say you can't do it on his AK, but he is still locking out his left arm pretty well. All a matter of personal opinion - and Mr. Haley sure as **** knows how to shoot....so I won't say anything.

This is how he grips his AR when running it up close.

8. 01-22-2012 12:21 AM #288
      So after getting tons of questions from other folks on other forums about AK advice, I got tired of spending hours typing PM's to people...and put together this blog, which I'll be expanding - regarding making a quality modern AK rig.

http://themfak.blogspot.com/

9. 01-23-2012 10:17 AM #289
      did I just watch a video of someone shoving a Twinkie in a gun then trying to shoot it??

that might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen on the internet. thats really saying something cause I've been on vortex for like 10 years..

10. Member
      Vehicles
      01 F-350, 05 Suburban
      01-23-2012 11:35 AM #290
      Quote Originally Posted by dj age one View Post
      did I just watch a video of someone shoving a Twinkie in a gun then trying to shoot it??

that might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen on the internet. thats really saying something cause I've been on vortex for like 10 years..

What?? You've never had a twinkie jam itself into the chamber while shooting desert rats??

Vehicles
      2007 VW Jetta, 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455 SD
      01-23-2012 02:58 PM #291

Ok, I know this is the AK thread but that is beautiful!

Very informative Elbows, keep up the good work, following it to read up on what you write.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
      And, if the situation calls for it, you could break out some drumsticks and play the xylophone on her ribs
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      God dammit Miyagi, go to school. Who the f**k plays the xylophone with drumsticks?
      You use mallets. Idiot.

12. 01-23-2012 07:16 PM #292
      I can't get past the big black penis grip

ooooh....ribbed

13. 01-23-2012 07:18 PM #293
      Quote Originally Posted by dj age one View Post

The whole thing is based on the Magpul Dynamics dvd joke when Chris Costa was talking about dump pouches, and why you should only dump empty magazines there. At one point he says...

So it made someone go and stuff a twinkie in their AR...which didn't work at all ....so then someone stuffed one in an AK...

14. 01-23-2012 07:18 PM #294
      Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot762 View Post
      I can't get past the big black penis grip

ooooh....ribbed
      Well, if it pushes hard enough, it'll get past you...(r anus).

15. 01-23-2012 08:32 PM #295
      The whole thing is based on the Magpul Dynamics dvd joke when Chris Costa was talking about dump pouches, and why you should only dump empty magazines there. At one point he says...

So it made someone go and stuff a twinkie in their AR...which didn't work at all ....so then someone stuffed one in an AK...

ahh, gotcha.. didn't realize there was a back story.

just thought, some one was like "I'm bored eh, lets shove Twinkies in guns" seemed a bit dangerous to me. I do wonder what the barrels look like now.

16. 01-24-2012 12:00 AM #296
      Since you asked..they're probably delicious.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, 2010 4Runner SR5
      01-28-2012 01:54 AM #297
      Elbows, (or anyone else) I'm curious what you think of this deal

http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=178081

it looks like a great one, just curious if, in your opinion, you see anything that would make you take pause. Otherwise I think I'm going to pick it up

18. 01-28-2012 03:05 AM #298
      If you want a Saiga rifle and not an AK, it's probably reasonable (simply because of the magazines). You can find the rifles new for around $320-350 normally....so if you're planning on using it to convert over to an AK, then you're wasting the 12 magazines it comes with (10 rounds, and won't work with it once converted to a proper AK I believe).

So, as a reasonable rifle with a bunch of magazines...it's okay. For a donor to be converted, I'd say it's a bit of a waste. Also a decent deal if you live in a place like California or some other silly state with silly laws.

For $500 though, I'd be leaning toward an InterArms AK or something.

Vehicles
      01-28-2012 09:37 AM #299
      what is the difference between the rifle and the AK? other than, of course, the magazines being 10 rounds

(see? this is why I asked)

Vehicles
      01-28-2012 10:02 AM #300
      Quote Originally Posted by Visheau View Post
      what is the difference between the rifle and the AK? other than, of course, the magazines being 10 rounds

(see? this is why I asked)
      Well basically its the same action, the Saiga is brought in a sporting configuration which doesn't allow for it to take normal 30-round AK magazines without modification(Surefire makes some higher capacity magazines for the Saiga), as well as requiring modification to take normal AK furniture such as a pistol grip. If I'm forgetting anything someone can throw it in
      And, if the situation calls for it, you could break out some drumsticks and play the xylophone on her ribs
      God dammit Miyagi, go to school. Who the f**k plays the xylophone with drumsticks?
      You use mallets. Idiot.

Vehicles
      01-29-2012 06:59 PM #301
      Are these a good deal?

http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=174473

converted Saiga for $589

Vehicles
      01-29-2012 07:39 PM #302
      Yeah, I think is a pretty good deal. Not sure what your limit is because Arsenal of Las Vegas will sell converted ones for $799 through AimSurplus (Sold out now) with true AK hand-guard/ stocks
      Here's a link for you to see. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...fle&groupid=11
      You use mallets. Idiot.

23. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-29-2012 08:40 PM #303
      Quote Originally Posted by Visheau View Post
      Are these a good deal?

http://texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=174473

converted Saiga for $589
      Not a bad price but I am still not a fan of that fore end.

obin

24. 01-30-2012 07:31 AM #304
      Yeah, converting one can be easy enough...but $589 for that is not worth it at all.

You need to swap the stock, move the trigger, adjust the feed ramps, change the front end furniture etc. I'd go look for a full AK if you're new to AKs. Especially if you'll only be converting it anyway (having to buy furniture, stock, etc.).

25. 02-01-2012 01:14 AM #305
      Elbows, damn it, got me thinking about customizing my 74 again.

This is how it stands now. Its a Century Arms M74. Not too bad a shooter. Been reliable and accurate (for an AK). It has a stock Tapco Trigger which is a great when compared to a stock Saiga trigger. Replaced the cheap plastic furniture with a US made Warsaw stock and handguards. Although I am finding the Warsaw stock a bit short. Tromix bolt handle, Ultimak Rail with Aimpoint H1.

I like Rifle Dynamics Package.

Here is Travis running it. (That bolt sounds butter smooth in comparison to mine)

Would prefer to send it to them, for a barrel replacement, front sight and conversion to a Surefire MB556K as show, but as you said they are either backed up or might take a year to do the conversion. Need to put in an inquiry. I might go with a local smith and do a K-Var 105 conversion instead. Also looking at the dual side charging handle, safety cut for bolt hold open at the range and the Vltor M4 stock conversion tube. And I though AR's were bad!
      Last edited by YF19EX; 02-01-2012 at 01:43 AM.

26. 02-01-2012 01:51 AM #306
      Yours is a nice set-up as is...but sure, some front end work could make it nice. I don't like the Bolton front end.

I'm having my black rifle swapped over to a Kreb's front block. My brown rifle has a brand new AK-105 front end sitting here in package wrap, waiting to be recovered. ($270 new on K-Var for the full front end).

AKs "can" be cheap, but to push the limits of what is acceptable and normal here, you require smithing, which is where the money comes in. Parts wise my rifle is maybe $1200...but with smithing and work, perhaps $2000.

RD does good stuff, but yes everything takes a while to complete. My times were 2-3 months before, it may be more now (especially now that Travis Haley runs an RD AK in some of his videos etc.)

You wouldn't need a new barrel at all btw. You still have a normal 16" barrel, so he can cut and thread it and pin a hider on there of your choice. No worries. I'd skip the double-sided bolt thing. That's a load of crap. Leaves a long open stretch on your rifle, has two things to catch on gear, increases the overall width of the rifle, wouldn't work with a folder, and generally is pointless.

Believe it or not the AK is fully ambidextrous. I'll do up some videos on it. Heck, the Travis Haley video you and I posted shows how easily and quickly you can run the bolt with your left hand sans modifications (though I do love my tromix handle mod, like you). The "Lightning Bolt" or whatever is a waste.

27. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02-01-2012 02:02 AM #307
      I'd skip the double-sided bolt thing. That's a load of crap. Leaves a long open stretch on your rifle, has two things to catch on gear, increases the overall width of the rifle, wouldn't work with a folder, and generally is pointless.

Believe it or not the AK is fully ambidextrous. I'll do up some videos on it. Heck, the Travis Haley video you and I posted shows how easily and quickly you can run the bolt with your left hand sans modifications (though I do love my tromix handle mod, like you). The "Lightning Bolt" or whatever is a waste.
      Ditto. It is better to just simply learn how to operate the AK as it was designed rather than trying to turn it into something it is not. The gun is brainlessly easy to run as it was designed.

obin

28. 02-01-2012 02:21 AM #308
      The Lightning bolt is a side benefit when it comes to speed. Even Travis did not discount its possible usefulness.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=12358

It is an efficiency item, that I don't think has too many down sides. The basic operation does not need it but I won't discount the possibility of its use just because its not traditional way of doing things.

But on that note, yea, I would like to run the Rifle Dynamics set up. The reason I want to change the barrel, is due to accuracy issues that have been occurring with it. It does not key hole and can hit a man sized target at 100 yards easy, but it's not holding the same consistent pattern as when I bought it new. It is a Century gun after all.

29. 02-01-2012 02:34 AM #309
      I think it has a number of down sides.

-Leaves a long opening along the receiver cover, susceptible to dirt and debris.
      -Adds another moving part, to be aware of when shooting.
      -When the rifle is carried slung, the charging handle will dig into your body/catch on gear etc.
      -It will interfere with a folding stock if you opt for one (and would not allow the rifle to fire while folded)
      -Won't work with the TWS receiver cover if you're running optics that way.

I dunno, I don't see the need for it. If you have time to run your hand up to the left side of the rifle, you have time to run it up to the right...and you can see after Travis built his old 5.56 AK with the ambi-handle, he went back to a normal one for his HSP build.

On top of the fact that it costs a bit. No thanks!

30. 02-01-2012 02:47 AM #310
      Well I won't discount those downside that had been mentioned in other boards as well. Again its a gear selection and preference issue.

On that note, I sent away for a conversion quote, so lets see what kind of damage that's going to do to me. And I Just picked up a Steyr SSG69 today to...

31. 02-01-2012 03:20 AM #311
      I don't know what my front end conversions cost...probably not more than $200 or so. I know my RD rifles had the same work done...one was $385, the other was $700... The $700 was first (and more appropriate given the work I had done) so when they said $385 the second time I just nodded and sent them my credit card number.

My local smith (the one who's work I'm not chuffed about) charged me like $150 for a bunch of work...now I see why.

32. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02-01-2012 05:11 AM #312
      Quote Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
      The reason I want to change the barrel, is due to accuracy issues that have been occurring with it. It does not key hole and can hit a man sized target at 100 yards easy, but it's not holding the same consistent pattern as when I bought it new.
      Re-crown the muzzle. If that doesn't work then send the rifle to a goood AK gunsmith and they might be able to figure out if something has worked its way loose.

obin

33. 03-02-2012 07:05 AM #313
      Since I didn't want to start another thread based on similar information can anyone tell me anything about this particular stock? It's for the AK variant

http://www.parts4ak47.com/ak-47_acce...ct/AK-BFS.html

It may not even be right stock but I'm thinking of SBR'ing a Draco and would like more info on the Bulgarian triangle stock. Is it junk? Does anyone know?

34. 03-04-2012 03:20 AM #314
      Eh, it's a blase solution to what a lot of people want. That stock is made to mount to a normal stamped receiver.

The "proper" folding stock is rather involved (moreso than you'd think at first glance).

These are some crappy pics of my AK which was stamped, and had a full proper kit installed. You can see why it can run around $300 just for the work.

Several cuts are made into the receiver on each side...including new riveted tang...also the receiver is cut down on one the folding side of the rifle.

On the left of this picture you can see the retention clip which is cut/installed into the receiver. This is a spring-mounted hook which holds the stock folded (there is a small push button on the polymer stock allowing it to release.

Inside is the push-release hardware for the stock button.

Basically the stock you posted is an extended stock where they took these pieces and mounted them externally, then added the buttstock. It's a good bit longer, and doesn't fold up as short as the normal model (which folds completely flush with the rear of the receiver.

If you're interested in a folding stock option, you'll probably end up spending a good bit of coin. If I was not doing a full install, I'd go with something like the ACE folder set up for an AR stock.

It looks better, folds a little shorter, and allows you a choice of popular AR stocks.

Just my opinion.

35. 03-06-2012 05:51 AM #315
      I don't care if it folds or not. I just like the way the Bulgarian triangle stock looks. I've got an underfolder AK and I never fold it.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast