Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Kalashnikov - Official AK Thread

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      04-21-2012 11:51 AM #351

That's the gun they had at the gun store. Markings on the receiver say saiga vepr. Was around 800. I'm not crazy about the stock set

2. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      04-21-2012 12:20 PM #352
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      I'm not crazy about the stock set
      Ditto. Converting them is not cheap or easy either. I think wood looks better:

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

3. 04-21-2012 02:19 PM #353
      Any one know anything about the "dog leg" top cover rail mounts?

I'm considering one for my PSL/ FPK. because the factory scope mount is a over sized FPK mount and my POSP does not mount up well (I had to modify the scope mount to fit, but no matter how much time I spend with it, it either cants or starts to loosen up after 50~ rounds)

plus I would like to use one of my higher power scopes.

http://www.jgsales.com/dog-leg-picat...s.-p-6536.html

worth the money?

4. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-21-2012 05:19 PM #354
      The best mounts for the PSL that are not favtory are made by Molot JSC.

http://kalinkaoptics.com/mounts/svd-...-mm-rings.html

I have a Molot mount for my Zastava 59/66 and it is really solid. I absolutely adore it. Why don't you just tighten up the IOR scope mount that came with the PSL? It's not hard to do.

obin
      "We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

5. 04-21-2012 05:40 PM #355
      my PSL has the FPK style mount. it came without a scope, when I got it I didn't know there was 3 different side rails. AK, SVD and FPK.

the FPK is about .2" larger then the correct style (SVD) rail.

what I have on it now is a SVD style scope mount that I spent about 4hrs filing to fit.

it's not perfect. it seems OK, but after sustained fire it loosens, if I tighten the catch tighter it causes it to cant.

so I'm searching for another solution. if that top mount works, I'm all for it I do like shooting this rifle though getting it all working right is becoming quite trying.

one of them might be welding the barrel shut, sticking it on the wall and ordering the x54R VEPR

6. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      04-21-2012 05:53 PM #356
      The gun originally comes with a LPS scope made by IOR. For the longest time I saw them for $75 - $100. They are still around if you look at the surplus sites. The POSP will work quite well on the PSL. I have another mount that I've used on the PSL and it worked. I bought it around 8 years ago and it is a standard side mount. Let me see if I can find manufacturer info on that mount.

obin

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      04-21-2012 07:55 PM #357
      I hope Ironwood comes out with a PSL stock & furniture set for the VEPR, cause my god I want a PSL, but I know the VEPR is an all-around better rifle. Those PSLs just look so damn mean. I'd end up getting a VEPR in 54R, cause it would be nice to split the ammo between it and my Mosin.

Ahh, who am I kidding. I'd get both eventually.
      Now go get your shinebox

8. 04-22-2012 09:51 AM #358
      if I would have known what I know now I'd have the VEPR instead.

only real down side to it is the 5 round cap single stack mags. does not accept PSL double stacks.

I'd worry about the furniture later.

if I can get this PSL doing what I want this is the furniture I'll get.

http://www.troupsystems.com/svd%20kit.htm

because I honestly can't find a good solution to a proper mounting scope over 4x and I've spent quite a good bit of time searching the internet.

I think I'm going to give that dust cover/ rail a try. all the reviews I could find were people who got them for there SBR krinkovs to get a longer sight radius and mount a red dot who said they worked well. the rest of the reviews were purists who talked crap about the product without trying it. I'm by no means a purist, I like things to work for me.

9. 04-25-2012 03:50 AM #359
      Here is a quick look inside of the Izhmash factory (Saigas)

http://englishrussia.com/2012/04/22/...de/#more-99232

10. 04-25-2012 03:03 PM #360
      This might have been discussed in this thread already, but what do you all think of the Arsenal / Saiga rifles chambered in 5.56NATO? I already have an AR-15 and am trying to reduce my number of different calibers (sold my WASR last year).
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

11. 04-25-2012 07:59 PM #361
      Check my Blog regarding LEO use AKs.

Basically...if you get a 5.56 AK, get one by Saiga/Arsenal, but you'll be stuck buying semi-proprietary magazines. If you can stomach $30 magazines, then you'll be good to go. There is no real "spec" for 5.56 AKs, so parts are not interchangeable etc.

The nice thing is you could shoot steel-cased 5.56 no problem.

12. 04-25-2012 08:04 PM #362
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post

Basically...if you get a 5.56 AK, get one by Saiga/Arsenal, but you'll be stuck buying semi-proprietary magazines. If you can stomach $30 magazines, then you'll be good to go. There is no real "spec" for 5.56 AKs, so parts are not interchangeable etc.

So in your opinion, go with 7.62 or stick with the single caliber?

13. 04-25-2012 08:18 PM #363
      I'm always a fan of sticking with a single caliber (if we're talking simple assault rifle style carbines).

If you get a decent Saiga or Arsenal with matching magazines - you should be good to go. The non-tapered cases (okay the microscopically tapered casings...) do make it a tiny bit less reliable than the others, so expect 99.99% reliability.

14. 04-25-2012 08:36 PM #364
      I'm always a fan of sticking with a single caliber (if we're talking simple assault rifle style carbines).

If you get a decent Saiga or Arsenal with matching magazines - you should be good to go. The non-tapered cases (okay the microscopically tapered casings...) do make it a tiny bit less reliable than the others, so expect 99.99% reliability.
      I can deal with the mags and I want another AK. I trust your opinion for sure (read many of your posts and whole-heartily agree). Any leads on a solid 5.56 converted AK? I've been to the Arsenal site and was hoping to not spend 800$ for a "fun" rifle. I'm not opposed to spending big bucks ($2300 for my AR+accessories), just want to blast an AK again

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      04-25-2012 09:32 PM #365
      Meh

Grab a Century Vz2008 from J&G Sales, roughly $500 and 7.62x39 is cheap at Wally World
      Now go get your shinebox

16. 04-25-2012 09:48 PM #366
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      Meh

Grab a Century Vz2008 from J&G Sales, roughly $500 and 7.62x39 is cheap at Wally World
      What's the difference between a vz2008 and a wasr (other than a folding stock)?

17. 04-25-2012 11:26 PM #367
      I don't know how many budget 5.56 models exist. If you find one, make sure you get magazines to match it. I think there is a 5.56 WASR? That however, means you now have a WASR in the non-AK cartridge which gets questionable.

You can however get a very decent $5-600 AK in 7.62x39, so that may be a better option. I've never thoroughly searched 5.56 AKs, so I can't recommend anyone beneath Arsenal/Saiga.

Maybe a VEPR rifle converted? They have some (though they're listed .223...not sure if they take 5.56 loads) for around $650-700 I think. However, VEPRs, while beautifully built are a bit tougher to convert to a normal AK (they have a weird proprietary receiver shape etc.

To me, an SLR-106CR would be my go-to 5.56 AK, but as mentioned it's not cheap.

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      04-25-2012 11:43 PM #368
      Quote Originally Posted by NightTrain EX View Post
      What's the difference between a vz2008 and a wasr (other than a folding stock)?
      Pretty much everything. The VZ2008, as Century calls it, looks almost identical to an AK, but isn't an AK in any way. No parts commonality whatsoever. They use proprietary mags, but generally the rifles are usually of higher quality than an AK of a similar price, since they have a milled receiver and tighter tolerances. Czechpoint makes the best VZ58 at the moment (CZ used to offer nice ones), but they're around $830, so they're right in the neighborhood of high quality AKs like Saigas. But...one nice perk when you buy from Czechpoint - shipping is included in that cost, as is the FFL transfer fee. I see one of those in my future personally, but for around $500 a Century Arms VZ2008 would definitely be on my radar as well.

VZs are unfortunately permanently etched into my brain as far as AK47 alternatives go, because CT has banned 7.62x39 AKs no matter what the variant, but since the VZ is totally different in every way except appearance, it's literally CT's only 7.62x39 option for an AK47-ish rifle...AK74s are fine here though, but then it's either 5.45x39, which ammo is tough to come by unless purchased in bulk online, or some sort of .223 AK, which to me is just plain blasphemous.
      Last edited by Señor Peligro; 04-25-2012 at 11:45 PM.
      Now go get your shinebox

19. 04-26-2012 12:49 AM #369
      The VZ is a nice rifle. But as mentioned it is entirely different than an AK. That's not to say it's bad. I have no experience with the Century model, but people rave about the Czechpoint, and CZ models.

It is much lighter than a normal AK (which is already pretty light). I don't really care for the slightly more high-tech operating system...nor the proprietary nature of the rifle, but for a fighting carbine you could do a lot worse.

There are a handful of companies who make quality aftermarket components to convert them into fighting guns (rail adapters, yada yada). I debated putting VZ's in my blog, but I've only fondled them in stores, so no real hands on experience.

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      04-26-2012 01:29 AM #370

Not to nitpick, as you're more the AK expert than I am, but Apex Gun Parts sells the Wenger EG .223/5.56 AK mags, some unissued I believe. Price-wise will probably be close, but every little bit helps. Those are what are recommended for the Yugo 556 Krink parts kits by Atlantic Firearms and Apex Gun Parts. Not too readily available though, but should be able to buy a good number still.

I don't know how many budget 5.56 models exist. If you find one, make sure you get magazines to match it. I think there is a 5.56 WASR? That however, means you now have a WASR in the non-AK cartridge which gets questionable.

You can however get a very decent $5-600 AK in 7.62x39, so that may be a better option. I've never thoroughly searched 5.56 AKs, so I can't recommend anyone beneath Arsenal/Saiga.

Maybe a VEPR rifle converted? They have some (though they're listed .223...not sure if they take 5.56 loads) for around $650-700 I think. However, VEPRs, while beautifully built are a bit tougher to convert to a normal AK (they have a weird proprietary receiver shape etc.

To me, an SLR-106CR would be my go-to 5.56 AK, but as mentioned it's not cheap.
      The Saigas in .223/5.56 can take the Surefire 30rd magazines and the Magnolia State Armory magwell adapters to accept AR mags.

Hope this helps.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.
      My GLI is dead, waiting for new headwork. AEM intake, APR R1, APR TIP, ST Coilovers, Eurosport Lower Front Stress Bar, BFI Stg. 1 Motor Mount Kit, .:R32/BFI LCA Bushings, Neuspeed 28mm RSB, Forge SS w/ S2S, 42DD shift linkage bushings, Verdict Motorsports shift bracket bushings.

21. 04-26-2012 02:05 AM #371
      Yep, I've seen some guys running the PMAG conversion, which would probably be ideal if you're running an AR as your primary gun. I'm not a huge fan of changing the AK up that much, but for the money it may be worthwhile.

With 5.56 AKs, you "may" be able to use a host of magazine, it just seems less likely than a 7.62 or 5.45 gun. Everytime I see someone post up, it's always in the vein of "well mine likes _____, but won't feed from _____, and is okay with _____" etc. You can always buy one and start trying magazines out.

The only reason I recommend the Arsenal rifles (Bulgarian) is because you can buy new Circle 10 Bulgarian 5.56 magazines...and take any guess work out of it. I'm sure there must be many other combinations that work. Heck K-Var had a 7.5" 5.56 Pistol which would have made a freaking awesome SBR.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=356&page=1

(guess it has a 10.5" barrel which extends to the end of the hider?). I almost bought one of these...simply adding a stock = instant SBR.

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      04-27-2012 01:31 PM #372
      Yep, I've seen some guys running the PMAG conversion, which would probably be ideal if you're running an AR as your primary gun. I'm not a huge fan of changing the AK up that much, but for the money it may be worthwhile.

With 5.56 AKs, you "may" be able to use a host of magazine, it just seems less likely than a 7.62 or 5.45 gun. Everytime I see someone post up, it's always in the vein of "well mine likes _____, but won't feed from _____, and is okay with _____" etc. You can always buy one and start trying magazines out.

The only reason I recommend the Arsenal rifles (Bulgarian) is because you can buy new Circle 10 Bulgarian 5.56 magazines...and take any guess work out of it. I'm sure there must be many other combinations that work. Heck K-Var had a 7.5" 5.56 Pistol which would have made a freaking awesome SBR.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=356&page=1

(guess it has a 10.5" barrel which extends to the end of the hider?). I almost bought one of these...simply adding a stock = instant SBR.
      OH HOLY ****! Do want!! That would be my biggest "Suck it, CADoJ/Pelosi/Feinstein/Boxer!!" firearm... KVAR doesn't sell to CA but I bet having it go to Table Rock Arms or Henderson Defense and then to me would work. Even with a BB and 10rd mag, still very worth it.

As for the anecdotal experiences of what mags work with what guns, I think that can be applied to any firearm; I've used only Ruger factory mags in my Mini but there is a guy I talk to and he swears by ProMags and TAPCOs and I tried a friend's TAPCOs and they were CRAPCOs. All anecdotal, but all firearms seem to have their preferences, much like their owners.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.
      My GLI is dead, waiting for new headwork. AEM intake, APR R1, APR TIP, ST Coilovers, Eurosport Lower Front Stress Bar, BFI Stg. 1 Motor Mount Kit, .:R32/BFI LCA Bushings, Neuspeed 28mm RSB, Forge SS w/ S2S, 42DD shift linkage bushings, Verdict Motorsports shift bracket bushings.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      04-27-2012 05:10 PM #373
      The VZ is a nice rifle. But as mentioned it is entirely different than an AK. That's not to say it's bad. I have no experience with the Century model, but people rave about the Czechpoint, and CZ models.
      With good reason, they are phenomenal. I bought a single-stack when that was all that was available and they shoot like a tuned rifle right out of the box. Trigger is fantastic as is the balance. Cannot say enough good things about them.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      04-27-2012 05:11 PM #374
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post

That's the gun they had at the gun store. Markings on the receiver say saiga vepr. Was around 800. I'm not crazy about the stock set
      $800 on a VEPR would have been out the door with me.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat Wagon V6-5spd
      04-27-2012 05:16 PM #375
      Re: Izhmash Saigas, there are 2 variants, mag dimples & no mag dimples. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to what they send. Sometimes they have dimples and sometimes they do not. I sold my non-dimpled one and am awaiting one with dimples to show up at my FFL.

Vehicles
      335d, Passat4Motion Wagon, A4 Avant
      05-08-2012 06:17 AM #376
      You can now build your own AK... using Lego parts...

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      05-08-2012 01:54 PM #377
      Quote Originally Posted by sg207ptg View Post
      You can now build your own AK... using Lego parts...

There's a whole LEGO weapons book. AK, Desert Eagle, SPAS, and Enfield Jungle Carbine.

LINK HERE.
      VW CEL Breakdown here.

Vehicles
      335d, Passat4Motion Wagon, A4 Avant
      06-04-2012 07:38 AM #378
      Just thought this photo is interesting.

"A U.S. Army soldier of the Battle company, 1-508 Parachute Infantry battalion, 4th Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division, sits with a Kalashnikov assault rifle as he waits with his colleagues in a school yard during a local shura meeting in the town of Senjaray, Zahri district of Kandahar province, southern Afghanistan May 29, 2012. REUTERS/Shamil Zhumatov"

29. 06-04-2012 03:36 PM #379
      I see mostly contractors running AK's (normally because contracting companies choose rifles...and you just show up and use what they issue you). That and for PSD work (ie. up close, under 100 yards etc.), the AK is a better gun than an M4 simply based on the cartridge (7.62, not the 5.45).

30. 06-29-2012 07:27 PM #380
      Well, I'm finally fed up with a rifle (that I ruined!).

My Arsenal SLR-105R began life as a ban-era rifle, simple, reliable, and accurate. I bought it used off of gunbroker, during the Obama scare for a not-scant $900.

It had NATO length stock, a threadless barrel cuff etc. It was sent to Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics and came back a proper monster.

It had a folding stock installed, some internals swapped, a Fullerized rear sight, barrel cut, with an AK-100 style brake pinned on. It was perfect.

I coated the rifle in a rich chocolate sauce...

Then I painted it.

End result was a wicked looking, perfect running AK...modernized.

I ran it approximately 5,000 rounds in this guise, without a single malfunction of any sort (not rifle, not ammo, nothing). Absolutely flawless. It shot a 4-5" group at 250 yards without problem, using nothing more than an Aimpoint.

In the meantime I acquired a Kreb's gas block, and a battlecomp, and I was beginning to wonder how much build-up was inside the pinned 74 brake (which has a large expansion chamber in the body). I took advice from a buddy of mine and sent it to a "renowned" local gunsmith in NC to have some minor changes done...I decided to go nuts, and even had a fresh East German barrel fluted for use in the rifle. It became a "light weight" project gun.

The rifle showed up, and looked okay...but I had my first ever failure during the test day. I sent it back immediately, as it was very over-gassed, and slamming the trunion with each shot.

The smith "fixed" it and sent it back to me. It arrived...almost worse than before. While the rifle now functions, the gas block is canted, the sight block is canted...and accuracy has diminished. I'm not sure why, perhaps the fluting ruined the barrel, perhaps the build is just sh_tty or the crown is f_cked up...either way, I took a perfect running rifle, and let it get away from me.

Now don't get me wrong - the rifle now functions well enough, and is accurate enough for range work. I can plink a steel gong relatively easily...but it's just not the same. It's been tainted, and is no longer fit to be my primary rifle. To keep from getting overly disgusted with it, I've decided to paint it up one final time, get it zero'ed, and retire it to back-up-gun status.

Let this be a $3500-4000 lesson to you guys. Don't f_ck with a good thing... My other primary rifle is off at Jim's having a block fitted...hopefully he does it right, as opposed to this guy. It's a shame too, as my buddy's AK turned out quite well...mine not so much.

It's only been perhaps 3 years, but this rifle was my baby. It went to a couple courses with me, never failed me (outside of that one failure during the test day). It's run well since, but I feel like I'm losing a friend. I just can't justify the $300-400 it would probably take to send it somewhere to get it properly sorted.

07-06-2012 01:54 PM #381
      Im stripping down and selling off my AR SBR except for the receiver. I mainly use the 16" AR as of lately. So with the SBR funds im going to get an AK. Any suggestions at what models I should be looking at? I dont want anything too expensive but I want it to be reliable.

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      07-06-2012 05:14 PM #382
      I think the import/work is done by Wolf, judging by the "Wolf lifetime warranty" remark, but I need this to be somehow be able to be brought into CA; it's like a Soviet FAL. A very alt-history feel to it.

VW CEL Breakdown here.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      07-06-2012 06:27 PM #383
      Today is the day that the AK-47 officially started production, so Happy Birthday AK?
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

34. 07-06-2012 07:38 PM #384
      Happy birthday indeed.

Vehicles
      BMP Brokeswagen
      07-06-2012 10:00 PM #385
      Quote Originally Posted by Egilbe View Post
      Today is the day that the AK-47 officially started production, so Happy Birthday AK?
      Happy birthday indeed.
      All hail! Where would the Third World and brushfire wars be without you, oh great one!
      VW CEL Breakdown here.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast