Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: MK1 ABA swap, A1 ABA swap, Rabbit ABA swap, Rabbit 2.0 swap, 2.0 into A1, 2.0 into MK1, info thread

Vehicles
      1995 Honda Civic Si, 2 '77 Toyota Celica liftbacks, '84 Mazda B2000...
      06-25-2010 07:39 AM #71
      thanks.

last question -

having an issue with the car not starting. using an automatic wire harness from the fuse block to the engine.

coil is getting power and ground, but not switched ground to fire. also fuel pump is not running...

could this plug need to be jumped to make it work, as in doing an auto to manual swap? seems like the park/neutral switch is not "engaged" and allowing the ecu to engage all needed to start...

or this one by the firewall? i know the 2 wire is reverse light.

or these? i'm guessing these are simply emissions related, as they are over by the maf.

and yes, the fusebox is wired in as per your instructions.

and i have one of these, just cannot find the info i need to save my life...

thanks for the help. this car is just kicking my but, as it was a hacked up wiring harness that someone else did, and i had to re-wire...
      Last edited by Cynical 1; 06-25-2010 at 10:59 AM.

2. 06-26-2010 01:43 AM #72
      all right another ? so if i do it the #2 way I just splice the rabbit harness into the new one with the list of wires you us in that diagram to show right

Vehicles
      1995 Honda Civic Si, 2 '77 Toyota Celica liftbacks, '84 Mazda B2000...
      06-26-2010 08:52 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post
      ok, what year is the rabbit? i mentioned previously that some rabbits have the fuel pump grounded while other years run the ground up to the fuse block. i'd double check that.

honestly it sounds like you have it all hooked up per my instructions and quite possibly something is going on with the aba harness or quite possibly the ecu. you said the wiring was rather hacked so i'm curious if something got cut out or isn't hooked backup.

i'll still get you photos and whatnot this evening to help you begin to run down the issue(s)

damn shame i'm not in phatlanta anymore as i would simply just come over and assist right now it's be like an 8 hour drive for me

you are correct in your guess - ecu was fried. bad chip job and all, coil driver was cooked....

installed "tester" ecu, now it runs fabulously...

wire harness was a "new" one, as the old one was so hacked and mangled...

thanks for the help.

and for the record, assist motorsport in ATL screwed this job up... had the car for 2 years and did not do it correctly... avoid at all costs.

4. 07-04-2010 01:45 PM #74
      so when i do it the number 2 way what do i do with the rabbit fuse box with the extra wires in it.
      i suck at this wiring stuff?

Vehicles
      04 DBP R32, 03 TDI Wagon, 84 GLI 16VV
      07-05-2010 05:14 PM #75
      Very nice... I'm not sure how much of this I can use, since I plan to swap ALL wiring from a MK3, but, its motivating, at the very least.

I plan on doing this into a MK1 Coupe that is void of all wiring. Can anyone think of any issues I may have swapping over everything? Should I use a MK1 dash or a MK3?

6. 07-05-2010 08:17 PM #76
      all right thank that makes this a lot easier

7. 07-06-2010 12:57 AM #77
      I don't think that's completely right. If you look on the pic the intake touch the hood on the left side. Same think happen on my Cabby, the hood close right but when the motor start moving it touch the hood. I'm planning to hammer it a little bit to see what happen.

Mine

Vehicles
      04 DBP R32, 03 TDI Wagon, 84 GLI 16VV
      07-06-2010 12:39 PM #78
      Is it possible to lower motor at all?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Rocco x 2, 87 Rocco, 98 Jetta TDI, 01 Eurovan, 05 TDI wagon, 06 GLI, 10 Jetta wolfie, 13 A4Q
      07-06-2010 01:26 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by jga View Post
      I don't think that's completely right. If you look on the pic the intake touch the hood on the left side. Same think happen on my Cabby, the hood close right but when the motor start moving it touch the hood. I'm planning to hammer it a little bit to see what happen.

Mine

If you're referring to my pic, the intake did hit the hood just a bit with the mk4 intake. I'm running the mk3 throttle body flipped, and had to cut that extra boss off the bottom (now top) that just barely hit...also the #1 intake runner just barely was rubbing on the hood (even with all new BFI mid-level mounts). It was a small raised portion of the hood structure, I simply trimmed that down a bit.

~1000 miles on my swap now, and couldn't be happier. Just ordered some projector headlights so I can actually see @ night, and looking for a 268 cam/chip now.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R / 2012 EOS
      07-15-2010 03:01 PM #80
      exhaust. you can run the stock MK1 dual manifold and down pipe with a simple spacer available from BFI and other suppliers
      stupid question but if i get the spacer i can just run the complete exhuast set up i have right now on the rabbit and where does the spacer go beyween mani and head right?, i ahven't seen what the spacers look like yet but i plan on ordering them withina few weeks
      ..../=========\ ....
      (]/______________\[)
      ./(O8o)====(o8O)\
      |\====------====/|
      |__|====-====|__|2012 Golf R , 2012 VW EOS Lux. Package, 1996 Cabrio 2.slow 5 spd.

Vehicles
      1988 Jetta
      07-19-2010 11:13 PM #81

im pretty sure this is how this thread started^
      uhm doing some 5th gear searchin hope you don't mind i snagged a pic while i was there
      donald + Mk1 Rabbit = happy

12. 07-20-2010 05:01 AM #82
      A1 thanks for the thread pots of good info that will be very useful.

Sheb

13. 07-24-2010 09:27 PM #83
      what timing belt tensioner do i use the mk3 or the mk1?

14. 07-24-2010 10:23 PM #84
      does any one make a spacer so you can use the mk3 manifold and downpipe

Vehicles
      I haz a bunnah
      07-24-2010 10:48 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by mk1dz View Post
      does any one make a spacer so you can use the mk3 manifold and downpipe
      mk3 downpipe won't work in any way shape or form.
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      You're new here but don't be a DORK.....
      Cheers, WWR.
      Quote Originally Posted by rte7x9 View Post
      Don't swap if you can't weld or fabricate. It's not a trivial task just to bolt everything up. There's a lot of nut-scratching involved. Take your time and do it right.

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta
      07-24-2010 10:50 PM #86
      use the mk3 tensioner and no you have to use the JH manifold in order to run that spacer. if you decide to run the spacer be sure to call BFI first to make sure they have them in stock. i waited 4 weeks for mine.
      HAVE HEART

17. 07-24-2010 11:08 PM #87
      alright just wondering thank you again for the info

Vehicles
      79 4dr rabbit, 82 awp rabbit pickup
      07-25-2010 08:46 AM #88
      i need help!!!!

ok so im doing a full mk3 swap into my 80(not that it matters year..) full 96 aba obd2 harness only thing cut on the harness was stuf running to the baxk of the car.. all wires are running into the engine bay... and everything is right. but one issue. im not getting power out of thr fuse block like i am not getting fuel with key on, nor am i getting a starter signal...

now does anyone know what i need to do with the whole alarm system... i think that is my issue... some help would be awesome!!!!!!!!

Vehicles
      07-25-2010 09:54 AM #89
      not to argue but i think its right so far?? ummm its werid there are a few fuses that are grounded actually, i cant remember wich ones but i think 4 of them are( im not home to list them)
      i had my freind wich is basically a vw master tech and super good at wiring diagrams (jhines_06gli)

and also for my fuel..(pump operates) and there is all good circuits but im not getting power to the relay for the fuel pump... cant figure it out.

Vehicles
      07-25-2010 10:29 AM #90
      hahahaha

thank man. he didnt wire the stuff i did. but i get what ur saying andddd just to clear the air... i didnt post AFTER u responded.. i posted as soona s i posted in this thread.

thanks for the help.hoenstly.

Vehicles
      1988 Jetta
      07-25-2010 10:37 AM #91
      i think its time we do a ABA in my rabbit i need to go to the junk yards and see what they have! but ill wait till the rabbits running.
      donald + Mk1 Rabbit = happy

Vehicles
      07-27-2010 12:12 AM #92
      can i put mk3 inner joints onto my mk1 axle.??? im using my mk3 trans.. and its already in soooi dont wanna switch it out..

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      07-27-2010 02:57 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by johnbmxinvasion View Post
      can i put mk3 inner joints onto my mk1 axle.??? im using my mk3 trans.. and its already in soooi dont wanna switch it out..
      You can, but it requires modifying the axle.

Why don't you clearance your spindles or run late cabby/rocco spindles?
      SPOONFEDTUNING - For all of your carbon fiber Corrado needs.
      Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      Is society really getting dumber or is it just this forum?

Vehicles
      '50 Dodge PilotHouse, '52 DKW 125W, '76 Rabbit Ocean Bleu X2,EA Cabriolet,'77 & '80 Scirocco,'01 JSW
      07-27-2010 08:52 AM #94
      After someone mentioned that they had used a stock dual downpipe/manifold on a aba swap... I decided to test fit mine.. seems it may possibly work. Here are some pics I took from a quick test fit this morning..

I don't think if you left the stock triangle flange that it would clear... but I planned to cut that off and weld a flex joint/straight pipe to it anyways.. so it very well may work! Otherwise, adding a slip joint there or a ball-socket joint instead very well may allow it to fit. I tried to capture how it sat on the head in some pics below.. hopefully gives everyone a idea..

I'll probably cut the flange off of the downpipe tonight and properly tighten it down with the gaskets all attached to make sure it will clear without, another thought is adding possibly a 2nd gasket in between the manifold/DP to gain that extra tiny bit of clearance...

Vehicles
      07-27-2010 09:20 AM #95
      ive got my mk1 motor/trans so i can just pull the flranges off that one?? and swap with the mk3? i didnt feel like doing that bc its already in the car lol but if i need to i need to.

what modification does it take for the 100mm joint to fit onto the 90mm shaft??

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      07-27-2010 12:06 PM #96

not recommended. unless being done by a machine shop, at which time it just makes more sense to source a set of cabby/rocco hubs

grinding the 100mm axles to fit or clearancing the spindles to accept 100mm axles by way of an angle grinder is not a good idea. you want everything to fit correctly so that you do not have anything misaligned that would affect wheel bearing life
      I never said it was the correct way to do it.

Also food for thought. If something goes wrong and you have to replace a part do you want something that bolts right up or do you want to have to deal with modifying a brand new part to work.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbmxinvasion View Post
      ive got my mk1 motor/trans so i can just pull the flranges off that one?? and swap with the mk3? i didnt feel like doing that bc its already in the car lol but if i need to i need to.

what modification does it take for the 100mm joint to fit onto the 90mm shaft??
      You need to grind a new groove (which again should be done on a lathe at a machine shop) into the end of the axel shaft to allow the jesus clip to go on the axel with the 100mm inner.
      SPOONFEDTUNING - For all of your carbon fiber Corrado needs.
      Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      Is society really getting dumber or is it just this forum?

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R / 2012 EOS
      07-28-2010 07:49 AM #97
      i plan on using my rabbit manifold , downpipe with bfi spacer and the techtonics exhaust i already have on the car and my buddy is telling me that he thinks the car will run like crap because the manifold is too small and won't breath right

any input?
      ..../=========\ ....
      (]/______________\[)
      ./(O8o)====(o8O)\
      |\====------====/|
      |__|====-====|__|2012 Golf R , 2012 VW EOS Lux. Package, 1996 Cabrio 2.slow 5 spd.

Vehicles
      '50 Dodge PilotHouse, '52 DKW 125W, '76 Rabbit Ocean Bleu X2,EA Cabriolet,'77 & '80 Scirocco,'01 JSW
      07-28-2010 08:33 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by kap0ne View Post
      i plan on using my rabbit manifold , downpipe with bfi spacer and the techtonics exhaust i already have on the car and my buddy is telling me that he thinks the car will run like crap because the manifold is too small and won't breath right

any input?
      bench racing at it's finest. will it be the most optimum at 7500k RPMS at WOT vs. a flowed and port matched header? No. Will it run just fine if the swap is done correctly? yes. If you really cared about making amazing power you wouldn't be playing 4cyl VW engines..

29. Member
      Vehicles
      basically every mk1,2,3
      07-28-2010 09:35 AM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by saddest6day66 View Post
      If you really cared about making amazing power you wouldn't be playing 4cyl VW engines..
      was going to reply with this but was beaten to it
      caddy swap in progress
      09 6spd MCS
      98 TDI jetta
      german flag rabbit (crushed)
      G.I. Gti (sold)

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R / 2012 EOS
      07-28-2010 10:57 AM #100
      bench racing at it's finest. will it be the most optimum at 7500k RPMS at WOT vs. a flowed and port matched header? No. Will it run just fine if the swap is done correctly? yes. If you really cared about making amazing power you wouldn't be playing 4cyl VW engines..
      thanks , if i planned on turboing it in the future i can just change the the manifold to a TT but i don't plan on it any time soon
      ..../=========\ ....
      (]/______________\[)
      ./(O8o)====(o8O)\
      |\====------====/|

31. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Rocco x 2, 87 Rocco, 98 Jetta TDI, 01 Eurovan, 05 TDI wagon, 06 GLI, 10 Jetta wolfie, 13 A4Q
      07-28-2010 01:45 PM #101
      After someone mentioned that they had used a stock dual downpipe/manifold on a aba swap... I decided to test fit mine.. seems it may possibly work. Here are some pics I took from a quick test fit this morning..

I don't think if you left the stock triangle flange that it would clear... but I planned to cut that off and weld a flex joint/straight pipe to it anyways.. so it very well may work! Otherwise, adding a slip joint there or a ball-socket joint instead very well may allow it to fit. I tried to capture how it sat on the head in some pics below.. hopefully gives everyone a idea..
      I never tried the stock dual dp setup, but I did try my 8v 4-1 header. It fit, but would hit the rack on hard accel/decel, even with some clearancing work and new mounts. Ended up with the AEG manifold, and hacked off piece of rocco DP, with a custom 2-1 collector pipe. $80 into a nice budget 4-2-1 header, and I can put my upstream 02 in the manifold. Speaking of, I have a brand new BFI spacer I'd sell...

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R / 2012 EOS
      07-28-2010 01:58 PM #102
      if you are going to turbo it you need a completely different exhaust manifold and then neither the TT manifold/dp or the stock dual outlet will be used.

as i stated before, the stock dual outlet is smaller than a stock MK3 setup (combined with the TT downpipe). would you notice any difference with a completely stock motor? no, probably not. but if you started getting into head work, cam, chip, etc... then yes you would notice a difference if you were retaining the smaller setup.
      sorry i knew you needed a turbo manifold , i was just typing without thinking, i have a mildly built 1.8T

thanks for the info
      ..../=========\ ....
      (]/______________\[)
      ./(O8o)====(o8O)\
      |\====------====/|

Vehicles
      2001 VW Golf TDI, 1976 BMW 2002
      08-12-2010 01:19 PM #103
      Someone mentioned the belt tensioner, not sure if they meant the timing belt tensioner but I have a question about the accessory belt tensioner.

I’m swapping an ABA from a MK1 into another MK1 and it looks like the previous owner pounded the side of the passenger side frame rail to clear the accessory belt tensioner (I’ll post pics later), is there a way around this? I don’t want to pound my new MK1 with a hammer.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R / 2012 EOS
      08-12-2010 08:50 PM #104
      do we use the fuel box set up under the right rear of the car as it sits there stock(83 gti)
      ..../=========\ ....
      (]/______________\[)
      ./(O8o)====(o8O)\
      |\====------====/|

Vehicles
      2001 VW Golf TDI, 1976 BMW 2002
      08-12-2010 10:01 PM #105
      there is no need to pound or clearance anything on this swap (save for the exhaust).

if you install everything and find you are a bit close to the rail simply loosen up the motor mounts and shift the motor over....i've had to do this in the past on my other swaps and most recently on my 80'

there is no need to pound in a frame rail for clearance, it's not necessary.
      Thanks!

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast