Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: MK1 ABA swap, A1 ABA swap, Rabbit ABA swap, Rabbit 2.0 swap, 2.0 into A1, 2.0 into MK1, info thread

Vehicles
      84 Jetta coupe 2.0slow 79 Rabbit 16VG60
      03-18-2012 10:49 PM #526
      Oh question the O2 sensor is just going to give me better mpg right or does it effect anything else that warrents putting it in?
      " if you owe a VW and DON'T have AAA gold...your an idiot haha " - NOTHING LEAVES STOCK -
      " Because a 16v g60 sounds like the hand of god bitch slapping your car. " -lagomorph-

2. Banner Advertiser nothing-leaves-stock's Avatar
      Vehicles
      a few.
      03-19-2012 08:08 AM #527
      pre-cat...yes it will help A LOT ....post-cat? not at all
      www.nothingleavesstock.com
      NLS's full line of parts on our online store!http://nothingleavesstock.com/online...=0&sort=normal
      Email us at sales@nothingleavesstock.com 5780 Main St. Center Valley PA 18034 610 282 5487

Vehicles
      03-20-2012 04:10 AM #528
      thanks

off the the muffler shop to get the o2 bung welded in then
      " if you owe a VW and DON'T have AAA gold...your an idiot haha " - NOTHING LEAVES STOCK -
      " Because a 16v g60 sounds like the hand of god bitch slapping your car. " -lagomorph-

Vehicles
      '13 Cayenne Diesel, '08 Passat Variant 2.0T Stg 2, '81 ABA Caddy
      03-23-2012 04:43 PM #529
      So reading through some of the VSS info on here:
      I am hitting a rev limiter/fuel cut off at 5k rpm in all gears, even neutral. Either my tach (mk1 cluster) is not reading correctly or something else is up. Any insight?

I feel like the tach is correct because it doesn't feel like I'm revving to 6.5k or whatever stock redline is.

5. 03-23-2012 09:29 PM #530
      Quote Originally Posted by boraIV View Post
      I am hitting a rev limiter/fuel cut off at 5k rpm in all gears, even neutral. Either my tach (mk1 cluster) is not reading correctly or something else is up. Any insight?

I feel like the tach is correct because it doesn't feel like I'm revving to 6.5k or whatever stock redline is.
      your obd port hooked up? i'd be curious what codes you're getting.

only other thing would be to try another cluster and/or a tach and see what's up.

Vehicles
      03-24-2012 12:49 AM #531
      Yeah the OBD port is hooked up. btw, it's OBDII. I'll see if I can swing by my friend's shop tomorrow and use his VAGCOM to verify the tach is correct and if there is any codes popping.

Vehicles
      03-24-2012 03:27 PM #532
      Just an update: I checked for codes and RPM signal.

Tach is accurate. Only codes are:
      Misfire (from rev limiter I assume)
      O2 sensor (from not running the second one)
      Hall sensor (was unplugged for a while)
      PCV valve
      VSS sensor

I need to get a TT chip for my cam so I'm going to see if that might solve it. Kinda sucks to only ring it out to 5300 rpm. Feels like a diesel. Lol.

8. 03-24-2012 10:38 PM #533
      Just an update: I checked for codes and RPM signal.

Tach is accurate. Only codes are:
      Misfire (from rev limiter I assume)
      O2 sensor (from not running the second one)
      Hall sensor (was unplugged for a while)
      PCV valve
      VSS sensor

I need to get a TT chip for my cam so I'm going to see if that might solve it. Kinda sucks to only ring it out to 5300 rpm. Feels like a diesel. Lol.
      yeah let us know.

there's a few people running around on OBDII swaps without a VSS hooked up and aren't having any issues....strange you would.

Vehicles
      S1, mk1, mk4, T3 "free candy" edition
      03-25-2012 11:12 AM #534
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post
      yeah let us know.

there's a few people running around on OBDII swaps without a VSS hooked up and aren't having any issues....strange you would.
      true im running full obd2 and i just ran the vss wire back to the ecu on the same U plug. I dont know if you have it running it loose. But at least consider doing the same. I have a post a few pages back where i posted which wire i ran where on that U plug harness.

fyi, no issues.

Vehicles
      a couple of mk1s.. 82 ABA caddy
      03-25-2012 11:57 AM #535
      aba

First running good shot. Runs and idles great. Only issues is my cluster speed/night lighting does not works, need to get an exhaust done (im running raceland headers to a turn down tip), need to get a bung welded for my o2, and that it now has the power to kill my toyos much faster than the diesel

Thanks for this thread A1!

If anyone needs help getting their mk1 light switch/stalks to work with full ce2 wiring LMK. I got everything to work except the cluster as I ended up using a mk3 cluster

11. 03-25-2012 12:06 PM #536
      Quote Originally Posted by lhcVdub View Post
      If anyone needs help getting their mk1 light switch/stalks to work with full ce2 wiring LMK. I got everything to work except the cluster as I ended up using a mk3 cluster
      swap is looking good!

the MK1 stalks to ce2 wiring is pretty straight forward and it's almost color for color. iirc i had to jump a couple of different wires together for it to work but it wasn't too terrible to figure out

and you want your MK3 cluster illumination to work? that's easy. simply find the wire off the MK1 light switch that is for the cluster illumination and simply hook that into the plug on the ce2 box for the head light switch (can't recall exactly which one that is). or you can take the wire for cluster illumination and cut it out of the U plug and simply go directly to the source on the MK1 switch. iirc i've done it both ways and it worked just fine
      Last edited by A1steaksauce; 03-25-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 12:16 PM #537
      Thanks brotha will try that out later.

You are speaking the truth about the stalks. It was pretty straight forward except for the dash mounted hazard which you have to tap into the turns and some power wires coming from ignition iirc. As for the light switch I took both bentleys and did some reading and got to work. I will post the info for both things later to make it easier on anyone else attempting the full ce2 swap.

Vehicles
      S1, mk1, mk4, T3 "free candy" edition
      03-25-2012 03:19 PM #538
      I got everything to work except the cluster as I ended up using a mk3 cluster

if you need to rewire the cluster check the previous page. I left a post with all the pin outs and corresponding wires to hook up your mk1 cluster from the mk3. I finally ficured out how to power up the lighting in the cluster.

'Illumination for the mk1 cluster was attained from repinning to the U2/01 plug which is star/run power.'

Vehicles
      03-25-2012 06:56 PM #539
      I already fitted the mk3 cluster and destroyed the bezel and everything around it to make it look somewhat decent in there lol but I will take a look at your info to learn a bit more, and I need to get some light inside the car at night.. It's pretty depressing in there right now lol

Thanks for the help man!

15. 03-25-2012 08:08 PM #540
      You are speaking the truth about the stalks. It was pretty straight forward except for the dash mounted hazard which you have to tap into the turns and some power wires coming from ignition iirc. As for the light switch I took both bentleys and did some reading and got to work. I will post the info for both things later to make it easier on anyone else attempting the full ce2 swap.

good deal. i remembered there was a bit of goofy-ness with a couple of wires but it all came together pretty easily

i did full ce2 swap on my vr setup using MK1 stalks and hazard switch and didn't take the time to write anything down as i was in a hurry because i had a buyer coming to look at the car so you adding in the info would be great

Vehicles
      04-01-2012 12:22 AM #541

Was just thinking about this issue some people have....I just ran the piss out of mine and hit 6500rpm np.....im starting to think it depends on what fuel relay you have in your car. I know cabby's and jettas had higher rpm fuel relays than rabbits did well some anyways.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...let/Fuel/170/1

note how it states it has a 6300 rpm cutoff

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...bit/Fuel/170/2

this one and many like it for the 81-84 rabbits iirc where 5000 rpm cutoffs....

17. 04-01-2012 11:22 AM #542
      What throttle cables are most of you using, I have a 16v scirocco cable and either i have it connected wrong at the throttle body or its just wrong totally. Seems too long, has a lot of play in the pedal. Motor is an obd1 out of a 95 jetta into 83 gti.

Vehicles
      04-02-2012 12:10 AM #543
      Quote Originally Posted by 7thRabbit View Post
      What throttle cables are most of you using, I have a 16v scirocco cable and either i have it connected wrong at the throttle body or its just wrong totally. Seems too long, has a lot of play in the pedal. Motor is an obd1 out of a 95 jetta into 83 gti.
      you need the one on the top of list:

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...lf/Engine/42/2

19. 04-13-2012 09:28 PM #544
      So I still can't figure this damn thing out... I can't figure out if I'm not getting proper power to the mk1 fuse box, or what. So damn frustrating!

But on the upside, I found a 16v rocco brake setup to run with my g60 brakes. Now I just need to make some new brake hardlines and bleed the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleDownhill View Post
      Radio does not work. It pretty much seems like it has nothing until I press eject. I'm going to look up the model and everything and see what the scoop is.

I connected the few wires off the U plugs on the ce2 box. I had a tough time with this because it appears my fuse box in the rabbit is different than most... It's a bunch of wires coming off the back, rather than individual plugs. Maybe I was just missing something but not even my bentley had the right info in there for what I have. I thought I got everything right, but I must have screwed something up. I'll have to go back and try and sort it out.
      '82 Rabbit Berg Cup wannabe w/ ABA swap
      '87 Vanagon Slammed on 17" Porsche Twists

20. 04-13-2012 10:48 PM #545
      Quote Originally Posted by SeattleDownhill View Post
      So I still can't figure this damn thing out... I can't figure out if I'm not getting proper power to the mk1 fuse box, or what. So damn frustrating!

But on the upside, I found a 16v rocco brake setup to run with my g60 brakes. Now I just need to make some new brake hardlines and bleed the brakes.
      your radio still isn't working or anything off the stock fuse block isn't working?

trace the wires from the battery to the MK1 fuse block to the ignition and make sure everything is hooked up. often people will forget to connect the main MK1 power wire to the battery, myself included

oh, and i'm gonna need to see pics of said slammed vanagon. what et you set those rims up at? and what are you lowering her with? i'm getting ready to install some CIP1 2in drop springs with some 17in brm's with an et40 offset myself

Vehicles
      1988 Mazda B2200 2.2L 150K, 1981 VW Rabbit Convertable 2.0 ABA CE2 swap, 1984 GTI
      04-16-2012 03:50 AM #546
      Just got it in today

1988 Mazda B2200 2.2L http://www.mazdatruckin.com/vBulleti...-88-b2200.html
      1981 VW Rabbit 2.0 ABA CE2 swapped (TOTALLED)
      1984 GTI

22. 04-24-2012 12:30 PM #547
      your radio still isn't working or anything off the stock fuse block isn't working?

trace the wires from the battery to the MK1 fuse block to the ignition and make sure everything is hooked up. often people will forget to connect the main MK1 power wire to the battery, myself included

oh, and i'm gonna need to see pics of said slammed vanagon. what et you set those rims up at? and what are you lowering her with? i'm getting ready to install some CIP1 2in drop springs with some 17in brm's with an et40 offset myself
      My instrument cluster doesn't work. I need to double check the radio power wires. My wipers work, my brake lights work, headlights work, my turn signals seem to be grounded wrong, if i flip the indicator lever the led comes on with no flashing. I wonder if the relay is bad?

I am guessing it is all from the same issue. A buddy mentioned the difference between normal power and switch power. Basically almost everything on a switch seems to not be getting power.

My other issue is that i have a constant ground on my third cylinder injector which is causing no fuel to the third cylinder. Using a test light i traced that wire back to the ecu and it seems to be fine... I wonder if it might be something wrong with the ecu...

As for my van, the rears are just coilover springs, the fronts are cut. I would like to try out some s-10 drop springs, but i want to keep the same stance. Wheels are 17" twists 17x7 up front and 17x9 in the back et 55. I have Big Red calipers up front from a 993tt. I used adapters from Christopher at t3 techniques. I just need an EJ25 now.... I will post up a picture for you.
      Last edited by SeattleDownhill; 04-24-2012 at 12:34 PM.

23. 04-24-2012 08:06 PM #548
      Having a few minor issues

1) im not getting my headlights to work, i have power to the end of the CE2 wiring, but once i spliced them together i cant get power to the light itself. im assuming im missing a ground wire somewhere

2) i have no turn signals, i believe it was only 2 or 3 colormatched wires that i plugged in, is there some sort of relay or fuse i should check? did i need to wire in a relay?

24. 04-24-2012 10:33 PM #549
      Quote Originally Posted by MidwestDubMafia View Post

1) im not getting my headlights to work, i have power to the end of the CE2 wiring, but once i spliced them together i cant get power to the light itself. im assuming im missing a ground wire somewhere

2) i have no turn signals, i believe it was only 2 or 3 colormatched wires that i plugged in, is there some sort of relay or fuse i should check? did i need to wire in a relay?
      sounds similar to what I've got going... but my headlights work...

25. 04-28-2012 09:57 AM #550
      bump. hoping to not have to start a new thread

Vehicles
      1988 Mazda B2200 2.2L 150K, 1981 VW Rabbit Convertable 2.0 ABA CE2 swap, 1984 GTI
      04-28-2012 12:29 PM #551
      Alright dudes got a few questions.

What ru guys running for the top radiator hoses?

Serp belt size with the VR6 water pump pulley?

What hose combination works to connect the heater core?

Used a rabbit o-ring for the rabbit thermostat housing. Correct?
      Last edited by andymccauley; 04-28-2012 at 12:31 PM.
      1984 GTI

27. 04-29-2012 11:13 PM #552
      Quote Originally Posted by MidwestDubMafia View Post

1) check for power at the head light plugs. the ground is a chassis ground right up by the headlights themselves

2) it takes more than 2 or 3 color matched wires to make a MK1 stalk work with a full CE2 setup. we covered this a few pages back. you do not have to wire in an additional relay. you do have to crack open both the MK3 and MK1 bentleys and get it sorted. the setup is really straight forward to do with both books.

Quote Originally Posted by andymccauley View Post
      Alright dudes got a few questions.

What ru guys running for the top radiator hoses?

Serp belt size with the VR6 water pump pulley?

What hose combination works to connect the heater core?

Used a rabbit o-ring for the rabbit thermostat housing. Correct?
      stock, just shortened.

covered in first post.

just play around with what you have, it takes some mixing and matching.

yes.

Vehicles
      04-30-2012 11:56 AM #553
      Cool ill post again when I get to the wiring. Full CE2 coming soon!
      1984 GTI

Vehicles
      05-09-2012 02:13 AM #555
      yeah let us know.

Finally got the TT chip in and it solved the the issue... Unfortunately, the solution to it is to set the rev limiter at 10k which means I needs to be extra careful.

05-09-2012 04:36 AM #556
      Just poppin and sayin my aba swap has been goin hard for 2.5 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      84 GTI,90 Cabriolet,80 rabbit pickup,09 scion XD
      05-13-2012 12:11 AM #557
      Random question ive got a obd1 aba swap going into my rabbit. I recently pulled a full ecu/motor harness from a donor car but in my absentminded ness I forgot the fuel pump relay wiring and ignition wiring for the swap...I've got an obd2 full parts car at my disposal wondering If those 2 sections I need are interchangeable? Or do I need to make another trip to the yard!?
      DCIVW

32. 05-13-2012 12:13 AM #558
      Quote Originally Posted by akabigmike2 View Post
      Random question ive got a obd1 aba swap going into my rabbit. I recently pulled a full ecu/motor harness from a donor car but in my absentminded ness I forgot the fuel pump relay wiring and ignition wiring for the swap...I've got an obd2 full parts car at my disposal wondering If those 2 sections I need are interchangeable? Or do I need to make another trip to the yard!?
      the obdII ignition loom and obdII fuel pump wiring/loom will be pretty much identical to the obdI stuffs so you're good to go

also, don't forget to grab the instrument cluster looms

Vehicles
      84 GTI,90 Cabriolet,80 rabbit pickup,09 scion XD
      05-13-2012 12:17 AM #559
      Awesome! Thanks for the quick response now I can go in pull em tonight

I have the obd1 full cluster and cluster loom from the original donor car
      DCIVW

Vehicles
      1962 DC, 03 GTI-D, 1986 Golf 24v Swap
      05-14-2012 08:31 AM #560
      Here is my rabbit truck w an obd2 aba w ac non cut up core support.

TNEUROS Home for all TN EURO enthusiast

Mk2 24v Westy "24 Karat" Just a grocery getter, with alittle growl.. FS thread!!

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast