Update from last Saturday (copy+paste from another forum).
I only got a chance to work on it on Saturday, most of which was spent trying to find a gear puller that would actually fit between the side of the case and the 5th gear on the pinion shaft.... I ended up buying a pulley puller and modifying it... didn't want to modify someone else's tools. I forgot to take a picture of that, so I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow. Anyway....
Transmission end cover removed, gear lube draining. Pretty color huh?
5th gear set. You have to pull these to separate the case. On the 020, the 5th gear housing is an actual bolt-on piece, so when it's removed, you can use any gear puller you want really. On the 02A/02C, the "5th gear housing" is just a piece of the case casting, so you need something skinny enough to fit between the sides of the housing and the gear.
After removing the end cover, I removed the right-angle drive:
Here's the right-angle drive by its lonesome.
After FINALLY getting a puller that worked on the 5th gear on the pinion shaft... here's the 5th gear set including synchro and shift fork.
Shift mechanism removed (middle), driver's side drive flange removed (bottom), and another picture of the right-angle drive (top).
All I have left to do here is remove the remaining trans case bolts and knock the case apart with my rubber mallet. Notice the paint I added to make sure the pins that the shift forks pivot on go back in the same spot. The pins can be seen on the upper left of my makeshift work bench.
Half of the case, shift forks, 5th gear set.
Other half of the case with the shafts and differential still sitting in it.
See that glob of gunk on the magnet? Overall, I was surprised at how clean the inside of the case was. But.... if you look closely, you'll see the remnants of a ball bearing in there. That bearing is one of the bearings the shift forks pivot on... er... used to pivot on. That was probably what caused the 2nd gear synchro to go bye-bye. It turns out that the bearing is no longer available. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet. German Transaxle in Bend said they would sell me a used shift fork assembly with good bearings.... I haven't found anything online quite yet.
Shafts 'n' stuff out and on the ground. I haven't made it to pulling the gears off the pinion shaft yet.
I also got the exhaust manifolds off of both engines. Here's the engine that came out of the car (no picture of replacement engine).... all of the exhaust studs except one pulled out of the head.
So, there you go. I'll keep taking pictures and hopefully this will be of some help to someone at some point....
More pictures will be coming later today.