Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Australian-specific problems and questions PC thread

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      04-07-2010 10:26 PM #141

Am yet to buy a NAS. Looking at the thecus n220.

Yeah toppy can read usb storage devices. Does a NAS output from USB or are they all inputs?

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      04-07-2010 11:46 PM #142

I also want a new router. Any recommendations? Want N, gigabit, storage & print server all in one. Possibe?

Vehicles
      '10 Golf GTD
      04-09-2010 01:42 AM #143
      if anyone's interested... connect a HDD directly to your router...
      http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/...70226
      VW MKVI Golf GTD - Black | Sunroof | MDi | Manual | RNS-510 | Hyper Silver GTC CX 18" | ChipExpress

4. 04-09-2010 06:01 AM #144
      Quote, originally posted by monkeysrus »

Am yet to buy a NAS. Looking at the thecus n220.

Yeah toppy can read usb storage devices. Does a NAS output from USB or are they all inputs?

I have a Thecus N4100 with 4 x 750G drives running RAID 5 (about 2 years old now). Great box!I will have to have a look at what the USB does on it - haven't used it yet.

5. 04-09-2010 06:08 AM #145
      I have a Dell XPS1340 running Win 7, 64 bit with 8G RAM and 500G HDD. It's about 8 months old now. In that time it's had:

3 x MB
      3 x HDD
      2 x KB
      OS reinstalled about 6 times.
      HDMI problem when it loses connection

Now:
      Whenever it comes out of sleep mode it loses it's network connection, and you have to reboot to get it back again. Although it keeps the network connection if you hibernate instead of sleep.
      Also had the system totally shut down - all DEAD yesterday
      Also now BSOD twice yesterday - using HSDP card
      Also taken to random freezing

Do I:

Wait for Dell to attempt another repair?
      Get another computer? If so, what - must be small, large HDD and powerful.

04-09-2010 06:17 AM #146
      I'd take to not computing in the shower.

Also you've had multiple failures of multiple components, it's also keen on tuning itself off and its never had the power supply looked at / replaced/ suspected?

Short of as i said, playing with it in the shower i cant see why you'd have so many problems, thats pretty insane.

Modified by Saxton Hale at 3:20 AM 4-9-2010

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      04-09-2010 06:22 AM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by TheHamofMam View Post
      That looks like something from their Prep Boy f@ggot collection.
      Quote Originally Posted by smarm View Post
      Can you give me a heads up when that hits the market.

8. 04-09-2010 06:30 AM #148
      Quote, originally posted by Saxton Hale »
      I'd take to not computing in the shower.

Also you've had multiple failures of multiple components, it's also keen on tuning itself off and its never had the power supply looked at / replaced/ suspected?

Short of as i said, playing with it in the shower i cant see why you'd have so many problems, thats pretty insane.

Modified by Saxton Hale at 3:20 AM 4-9-2010

I have multiple power supplies here, but th problems occur with different supplies, so I don't think I can blame the supply.

Maybe I should take a shower with it and claim it on insurance ...

Modified by shogun2 at 5:03 AM 4-9-2010

Vehicles
      MY08 WRX (SGP) Mk II GTI (AUS)
      04-09-2010 06:30 AM #149
      Wes' thought of the PSU is a very good one.

04-09-2010 06:34 AM #150
      forget all that sh*t its a laptop i didnt even look..

laptops are sh*t, i'm with mdt on the lemon theory.

Modified by Saxton Hale at 3:38 AM 4-9-2010

Vehicles
      Skoda RS TDI
      04-09-2010 06:42 AM #151

Quote, originally posted by VDUB2C »
      if anyone's interested... connect a HDD directly to your router...
      http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/...70226

Maybe if i got a external drive with two usb ports & this??????

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      04-10-2010 01:44 AM #152
      For the first time in about seven Sony Laptops, the VAIO software is actually useful. It has this one click maintenance programs that runs all the scheduled maintenance programs that you normally have to do manually or otherwise schedule which is a huge PITA.

I tried to download it for Liz's computer because it was taking several minutes to boot up, but it turns out that Sony won't allow you to stick it on to PCs that didn't come with one click care from the start.

So, I found this other software, which you can use free for 30 days, called Tuneup Utilities. It seems to do most if not more than one click care and the boot up time on Liz's PC is now back to 40 seconds.

04-14-2010 12:53 AM #153
      Interesting video of Windows 7 with multi touch screen, not as swish/smooth as Apple but it seems to get the job done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBtEhQqS1dw

04-14-2010 02:00 AM #154
      Quote, originally posted by Saxton Hale »
      Interesting video of Windows 7 with multi touch screen, not as swish/smooth as Apple but it seems to get the job done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBtEhQqS1dw

....hmmm...and people talk about issues buying the 1st gen of any Apple product! One thing that video shows is that many people, who buy the lo-ball priced Win7 tablets, will find themselves hating it because of cheap, slow and non-responsive touchscreens

two german cars

Vehicles
      MY08 WRX (SGP) Mk II GTI (AUS)
      04-14-2010 05:37 AM #155
      As always, you get what you pay for.

I've always thought that just slapping touch onto an existing OS not really designed for it is a crap idea, but that video made it look surprisingly good! A good quality screen would make that quite easy to live with I suspect. Not bad at all really.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      04-14-2010 07:25 AM #156
      Tonight I look at my computer at Google Earth has disappeared without a trace. WTF?

Dammit, I use it several times a day. I can't have it disappearing like this.

EDIT: Seems like it is an unintended consequence of updating vista through MS.

You can fix it by creating a new desktop shortcut pointing at either
      C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe (On Win2k, XP, and Win2k3, Vista x32, Win7 x32)
      or
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe (On XP x64, Vista x64, Win7 x64 )

Modified by mdt at 4:42 AM 4-14-2010

04-14-2010 07:50 AM #157

Fascinating.

Vehicles
      '10 Golf GTD
      04-14-2010 07:51 AM #158
      Awww Mattys growing up!
      Fixing his own pc problems, creating shortcuts on desktops and everything!
      So proud.
      VW MKVI Golf GTD - Black | Sunroof | MDi | Manual | RNS-510 | Hyper Silver GTC CX 18" | ChipExpress

19. 04-14-2010 07:58 AM #159

20. 04-14-2010 08:12 AM #160
      u should try stellarium - its free and it's awesome! oh do you have a telescope? if not, at your house next time you have a GTG i'll bring it along with my brother and he could talk to you about the constellations all night.

http://www.stellarium.org/

"Teaching should be such that what is offered is perceived as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty." -- Albert Einstein

21. 04-14-2010 08:31 AM #161
      Quote, originally posted by mdt »
      Tonight I look at my computer at Google Earth has disappeared without a trace. WTF?

I assume you've seen Nearmap.com ??
      It's MUCH better imagery for Melbourne, and updated regularly (3 times so far this year from memory), with the historical imagery still available.
      Might be somewhat relevant to you....

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      04-14-2010 08:37 AM #162
      You're not wrong. You can even count the herb pots on the seat outside my house. Thanks Micky.

Wes, you can **** off.

23. 04-14-2010 08:48 AM #163
      Quote, originally posted by shogun2 »
      Do I:

Kick and scream about it to Dell. That's a massive lemon. I do love laptops, I've had a few over the last 5-6 years. I've currently got a XPS M1730 that I need to return after the end of lease. I only had one LCD replaced with a single dead pixel and the SLI video cards replaced. Other then that it was an OK system. However XPS and Alienware quality has been a massive problem the last 12 months. Read the posts on http://forum.notebookreview.com and that's enough to turn anyone away. I've be aiming to get what ever you can, new system, but I'd try for my money back and get something else.

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      04-14-2010 08:51 AM #164
      I've had laptops replaced for less trouble than that's been.

25. 04-29-2010 03:15 AM #165
      Currently posting from Android running from the SD card in my Asus netbook. As usual with any kind of linux distro wifi isn't working. I went looking for a screenshot app and keep hitting deadends.

It's obviously not very intuitive to run a mobile OS on a laptop and the speed of my 1.6GHz Atom is fair on Windows, but the speed of the web browser is fantastic, transitions very quickly between open pages, uses the Esc key to go back, even using the dual-touch of my track pad.

Vehicles
      '10 Golf GTD
      04-29-2010 03:17 AM #166
      that's awesome!

would love to chuck it on my Asus netbook, and carry it around like a phone... then i can post a pick of my CPU speed like tim did with his N900

Vehicles
      vw and merc white pos
      04-29-2010 03:27 AM #167
      still happy with my toshy laptop bought new for rather expensive $699 wifey loves it. Set it up day 1 took about 15 mins for wi fi etc and being running solid a year later. Specs more than enough for what we need, nice and solid unlike my work dell which is already falling apart. Matt I'll buy your Sony for $500
      Yeah I'm a Volvo driver

28. 05-12-2010 06:24 AM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by FL00DY View Post
      Quote, originally posted by shogun2 »
      Do I:

Kick and scream about it to Dell. That's a massive lemon. I do love laptops, I've had a few over the last 5-6 years. I've currently got a XPS M1730 that I need to return after the end of lease. I only had one LCD replaced with a single dead pixel and the SLI video cards replaced. Other then that it was an OK system. However XPS and Alienware quality has been a massive problem the last 12 months. Read the posts on http://forum.notebookreview.com and that's enough to turn anyone away. I've be aiming to get what ever you can, new system, but I'd try for my money back and get something else.

OK - Dell are replacing the laptop with a brand new unit!
      They ran some tests and found faulty RAM. Replaced the RAM, and two days later it "blue screen" ed again. I rang up and said I want a new one, and they just said yes.
      Now waiting - should be here sometime next week.

05-12-2010 07:25 PM #169
      As an Apple fan boi, I definitely :bow::bow: to Dell's after-sales service. Exceeded my expectations in every respect!

Of course, it shouldn't have been faulty in the first place but I'll give points for a good recovery!

30. 05-12-2010 07:48 PM #170
      Quote Originally Posted by Timbo_S3 View Post
      As an Apple fan boi, I definitely :bow::bow: to Dell's after-sales service. Exceeded my expectations in every respect!

Of course, it shouldn't have been faulty in the first place but I'll give points for a good recovery!
      lol like there's never ever in history been a faulty Mac :p

05-12-2010 09:16 PM #171
      Interestingly Re the XPS, have a friend i just spoke to with a similar Laptop which as it was advertised as a "gaming laptop" he pretty much took them at their word and thats all its used for..

He's a little more hardcore with his gaming than me so i can only imagine it was for many hours a day, every day. Over the length of the warranty Dell replaced 3 of them they basically said no more, its just not designed to be used to play games non stop, the heat it made would just kill it within 6 months of constant use.

32. 05-12-2010 09:21 PM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by Saxton Hale View Post
      Interestingly Re the XPS, have a friend i just spoke to with a similar Laptop which as it was advertised as a "gaming laptop" he pretty much took them at their word and thats all its used for..

He's a little more hardcore with his gaming than me so i can only imagine it was for many hours a day, every day. Over the length of the warranty Dell replaced 3 of them they basically said no more, its just not designed to be used to play games non stop, the heat it made would just kill it within 6 months of constant use.
      I used mine for gaming most weekends for the first 8-10 months, always made sure it was sitting on my lapramp. The downside to the SLI was that I had to disable it when ever I plugged in my 24" samsung, so the SLI was probably only used 50% of the time. Also the XPS M1730 had the option of an extreme CPU, I can imagine that creating massive amounts of heat. He should have sat it on a laptop cooler and it might have survived.

05-12-2010 11:06 PM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by FL00DY View Post
      lol like there's never ever in history been a faulty Mac :p
      It never happens! Macs just "fail to proceed" :p

34. 05-12-2010 11:39 PM #174
      I an seriously considering selling the Dell when it arrives and replacing it with a hard core HP. The amount of time the old one took for support, and the times it stopped working were a serious issue with business productivity.
      Hopefully HP may be better ...
      Anyone want a brand new Dell XPS Studio 13?

Vehicles
      BMW F20 & E91
      05-22-2010 02:08 AM #175
      I'm trying to take an old VAIO laptop back to the factory settings by using the partition on the hard drive.

However, I can't seem to get the bios settings screen or whatever you call it up, instead it keeps on loading, irrespective of whether I press F1, F8 or F10 (which are the suggestions I have found through Google).

Any other ideas? I have NFI where the boot CD is.

TIA.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast