Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Removing the airbag warning stickers from your sun visors

Vehicles
      MKIII VR6, Tiguan SEL
      01-05-2011 02:15 PM #51
      I have had my car for over 9 months, Did the step by step. It peeled right off!

I think the trick is getting enough off at first, so that when you start pulling it it will pull from the entire width of the sticker. If you start to pull from a corner, it could jut tear.

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      Black 2011/MK6
      01-05-2011 07:50 PM #52
      What mod I would really like to find is how to shorten the length on the stock shifter. Not a short shirter but just the length of the OEM shift lever. I was able to cut my old GTI lever into about half of stock and it came out clean but this new car Im a little scared to start sawing away at it !!

01-05-2011 08:03 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by JeTTaSiX View Post
      What mod I would really like to find is how to shorten the length on the stock shifter. Not a short shirter but just the length of the OEM shift lever. I was able to cut my old GTI lever into about half of stock and it came out clean but this new car Im a little scared to start sawing away at it !!
      I don't recommend it but you could just cut a section out then weld it back.

Or get a short shift kit. The stock height IMO isn't an issue, the throw however and feel is terrible.
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      2011 GTI; Previously: 2005 Legacy GT; 2002 WRX, 2000 Tacoma
      01-05-2011 09:47 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by 98DUB View Post
      gonna do this when i get my next day off
      Yeah. Friday afternoon...goodbye stickers!

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      Black 2011/MK6
      01-06-2011 10:21 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post

Or get a short shift kit. The stock height IMO isn't an issue, the throw however and feel is terrible.
      Yea bro the throw of the stock lever makes me feel like Im an ice road trucker !!!

Vehicles
      2010 MKVI GTI DSG *Sold*
      01-08-2011 11:14 PM #56
      Awesome!

7. 01-09-2011 07:06 PM #57
      I did this on my MKV Jetta back in the day... thanks to this thread, I was reminded and have now done it to my GTI

[Edit: Forgot to mention. Really didn't want to remove the visor, so we did this all in the car. As others have said, when you flip the visor it makes a perfect shelf to let the paper towel sit on (just watch the drip).]

Even with advanced airbags, this pointless sticker is still necessary

91% was the highest I could find at my CVS, so that's what I went with:

My wife helped me peel off the first label with her nails. We let that one sit only 4-5 minutes. I let the driver side sit for about 7 minutes and then I was able to peel it off without need her for her nails.

Looks clean...

Used cleaning wipes meant for all car surfaces, including vinyl. Here, under the power of a camera flash, you can see what remains of the glue.

From outside the car, it looks perfectly clean.

As others have said, getting the last of the glue off is a real pain. I'm satisfied that you can't see it except under flash. After some time has gone by, I think the glue will start to fade and I will go over it again with more vinyl cleaner. For now though, I'm happy!
      Last edited by HoyaZot; 01-09-2011 at 07:13 PM.
      Current: 2014 228i | 2011 GTI
      Past: 2008 Touareg 2 / 2007 MKV Jetta Wolfsburg, 5MT / 2003 Passat V6 5MT / 1989 Volvo 240DL

IANYL

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta, 2000.5 4motion Passat, 08 Passat, 09 Passat, 09 CC VR6 4 motion, 09 Tiguan, 09 Touareg
      01-09-2011 09:17 PM #58
      Excellent! I will do this when the snow stop falling . The glue residue might be a pain but, I have worked on the printing industry for a long time and we used something called "Film Cleaner" to clean negatives and tape residue from the glass of the platemaker. I still have some left at home from about a year ago. I used to clean glue residue from cars for a long time with it, emblems and old stickers, this will be a breeze with it, absolutely no discoloration or damaging finish with it. Get a friend that work on a printing shop and clean it with Film Cleaner.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      01-09-2011 09:24 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post

Yep, as off topic as this is, the stock throw tends to have me miss third gear on many occasions

As far as the Airbag Stickers, the sooner you remove them the better. I removed them about a month after purchase and have never had any issues with residual glue or embedding of the sticker. Get some strong rubbing alcohol and then some good leather/vinyl cleaner and you're as good as gold.

Vehicles
      Candy-Weiß VI, 1999 Jetta Wolfsburg, 2013 Tiguan 4Mo
      01-09-2011 10:10 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMK6GTI View Post
      Yep, as off topic as this is, the stock throw tends to have me miss third gear on many occasions
      Yeah, what's the deal with this? I thought maybe something was wrong. If I'm shifting hard I almost always miss getting into 3rd.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      01-09-2011 10:14 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by GB724 View Post
      Yeah, what's the deal with this? I thought maybe something was wrong. If I'm shifting hard I almost always miss getting into 3rd.
      I've been told it's just the way the gearbox is. Its meant for you to go from
      Second to the middle then right and then up. Rather than straight up and at an angle

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI CW 4DR DSG Navi/Sunroof/Xenons
      01-09-2011 10:49 PM #62
      I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I am having one hell of a time getting off the residue. The sticker came off easy enough but the residue is giving me a lot of grief. I have used goof-off with no effect, and even took an abrasive sponge to it (very lightly) and that didn't work either. I have used paper towels soaked in 70% alcohol and I can't tell if that is working or not.....I didn't think it would be this hard to get it off. I am going to keep at....till my fingers fall off! Not sure if I will do the passenger one though!

Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6MT DBM
      01-09-2011 11:07 PM #63
      I used the higher alcohol content rubbing alcohol, let it soak for about 5-10 minutes and it wiped right off.

Wiped it off a little with the damp paper towel, allowed to dry and then used a leather/vinyl conditioner/cleaner. Can't even tell I ever had a sticker.

Vehicles
      R
      01-10-2011 06:44 AM #64
      Nice write up, oddly the sun came out in germany yesterday and I flipped the visors down and told my wife how much I hated those stickers.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI CW 4DR DSG Navi/Sunroof/Xenons
      01-11-2011 01:22 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMK6GTI View Post
      I used the higher alcohol content rubbing alcohol, let it soak for about 5-10 minutes and it wiped right off.

Wiped it off a little with the damp paper towel, allowed to dry and then used a leather/vinyl conditioner/cleaner. Can't even tell I ever had a sticker.
      Thanks I used some 91% and it worked 100% better. Just have to get the outline of where the sticker was a little lighter and it will be perfect.

A word to wise if anyone plans on doing this, don't waste your time with 70% and go out and get 91% or higher and it will take all of 10 mins.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Routan SE | 2010 MKVI 2.5 | 2008 Speed Triple/SOLD
      01-11-2011 11:38 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by 98DUB View Post
      I have had my car for over 9 months, Did the step by step. It peeled right off!

I think the trick is getting enough off at first, so that when you start pulling it it will pull from the entire width of the sticker. If you start to pull from a corner, it could jut tear.
      This leaves me with hope that it will be as easy on my 10.5 month car. Will try this on Saturday!

17. 01-11-2011 10:24 PM #67
      Is there any tricks to getting the connector for the wiring disconnected. I would really prefer to do this outside the car and from what I can tell there is a metal bracket that holds the connector in place and then a ribbon cable plugged into the other side. I pulled out the light so I could see a little better but I still cant seem to get it loose.

Vehicles
      Candy-Weiß VI, 1999 Jetta Wolfsburg, 2013 Tiguan 4Mo
      01-11-2011 11:19 PM #68
      You have to pull up on the clip. It's not a push clip.

19. 01-12-2011 08:39 AM #69
      If you use the higher percentage alcohol there really is no need to remove the visor. I simply soaked some paper towel and laid a regular towel on the dash just underneath the visor (which I positioned in their 'rest' position to hold the paper towel in place).
      There was no mess at all.

20. 01-16-2011 01:59 PM #70
      Didnt come off as easy as I thought it would took me like an hour to peel it all off with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Probably would have been easier if I had just taken off the visor but its done and looks great!

21. 01-16-2011 02:38 PM #71
      In my experience, adhesives can be made from - and therefore be reactive to - alcool or petroleum-based solvants. BUT "plastic" and "vinyl" can be a generic term for a lot of different yet similar materials, which may or may not be reactive also. YOMMV.

Therefore, other products can be tried to work out the gum residue. If "rubbing" alcool (in whatever concentration) is giving you a tough time, try kerosene, acetone or methyl-hydrate. Try it on a small unconspicuous area of the visor and see if it attacks the "plastic". Let it sit for a while and only when you are positively, absolutely sure it is safe, soak a Qtip and try to lift-off a nail-size chunk first. Use a diswashing scrub pad on stubborn areas, never steel wool.

Once the best part is gone, you can finish it off with a less aggressive product to avoid exagerated discoloring. I am thinking that the OEM stickers are affixed using a heat-activated glue and this would explain why they are so tough to get rid of.

I'm currently awaiting my very first TDI and I will post the results of my own experiments within a few days of its arrival

Vehicles
      '01 Golf V5, '96 GLX
      01-17-2011 11:40 AM #72
      anybody else do this?...i was taking the driver side sun visor off and the step that says "slightly tug until you have access to the clip", yea...def pulled too hard and the wire/band thing broke. the visor assmbly is good its the part that goes into the head liner that broke. anybody know what measures will need to be taken to resolve this problem? thanks for any help.

Vehicles
      '01 Golf V5, '96 GLX
      01-19-2011 12:15 PM #73

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 2002 911 Cab
      01-19-2011 02:15 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by gliguy2887 View Post
      yea...def pulled too hard and the wire/band thing broke. the visor assmbly is good its the part that goes into the head liner that broke. anybody know what measures will need to be taken to resolve this problem? thanks for any help.
      If you could post a picture of what you think you broke, that would help. The flat ribbon cable from the sunvisor can be pulled out of the connector that is in the headliner, and that is what you might have done.

Vehicles
      '01 Golf V5, '96 GLX
      01-20-2011 02:48 PM #75
      i'll get some pics up asap but i'm pretty sure i'm screwed on this one. now i have another problem too though...the cable and clip part that stays with the car on the passenger side some how went up into the headliner. it is in there too i tried using a wire hanger to get it out with no success. anybody know how hard it is to take the headliner down enough to get access to this? never again will i do this "little" project. haha visors look good though

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast