Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Removing the airbag warning stickers from your sun visors

1. 01-16-2011 02:38 PM #71
      In my experience, adhesives can be made from - and therefore be reactive to - alcool or petroleum-based solvants. BUT "plastic" and "vinyl" can be a generic term for a lot of different yet similar materials, which may or may not be reactive also. YOMMV.

Therefore, other products can be tried to work out the gum residue. If "rubbing" alcool (in whatever concentration) is giving you a tough time, try kerosene, acetone or methyl-hydrate. Try it on a small unconspicuous area of the visor and see if it attacks the "plastic". Let it sit for a while and only when you are positively, absolutely sure it is safe, soak a Qtip and try to lift-off a nail-size chunk first. Use a diswashing scrub pad on stubborn areas, never steel wool.

Once the best part is gone, you can finish it off with a less aggressive product to avoid exagerated discoloring. I am thinking that the OEM stickers are affixed using a heat-activated glue and this would explain why they are so tough to get rid of.

I'm currently awaiting my very first TDI and I will post the results of my own experiments within a few days of its arrival

Vehicles
      '01 Golf V5, '96 GLX
      01-17-2011 11:40 AM #72
      anybody else do this?...i was taking the driver side sun visor off and the step that says "slightly tug until you have access to the clip", yea...def pulled too hard and the wire/band thing broke. the visor assmbly is good its the part that goes into the head liner that broke. anybody know what measures will need to be taken to resolve this problem? thanks for any help.

Vehicles
      '01 Golf V5, '96 GLX
      01-19-2011 12:15 PM #73

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 2002 911 Cab
      01-19-2011 02:15 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by gliguy2887 View Post
      yea...def pulled too hard and the wire/band thing broke. the visor assmbly is good its the part that goes into the head liner that broke. anybody know what measures will need to be taken to resolve this problem? thanks for any help.
      If you could post a picture of what you think you broke, that would help. The flat ribbon cable from the sunvisor can be pulled out of the connector that is in the headliner, and that is what you might have done.

Vehicles
      '01 Golf V5, '96 GLX
      01-20-2011 02:48 PM #75
      i'll get some pics up asap but i'm pretty sure i'm screwed on this one. now i have another problem too though...the cable and clip part that stays with the car on the passenger side some how went up into the headliner. it is in there too i tried using a wire hanger to get it out with no success. anybody know how hard it is to take the headliner down enough to get access to this? never again will i do this "little" project. haha visors look good though

6. 01-29-2011 07:41 PM #76
      Just did this on my 11 JSW, it looks great and was very easy.
      Only difference with the instruction shere was the passenger side visor had a different kind of connector than the driver's side (the driver's side has what is shown here). On the passenger side the cable connects directly to the visor, instead of having a cable coming from the visor where the connector goes. Anyway, slightly more difficult to pull out, but I did it and had no problems

Vehicles
      2014 Tiguan R-Line
      01-29-2011 07:52 PM #77
      Im doing this right now.
      Nice DIY.
      I'm on my 7th VW now.
      I'm @kevinandrewfalk if your on instagram.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 GTI (SOLD)
      01-29-2011 10:08 PM #78
      I've had my car since about March 2010. Is it too late to do this? I don't want there to be a big difference because of the fading due to the sun.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      01-29-2011 10:10 PM #79
      I did this the other day using 91% Isopropyl. Took me about 30 minutes total, left the visors in the car. Went over them with Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber spray after.

Vehicles
      01-30-2011 03:18 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by oneethree View Post
      I've had my car since about March 2010. Is it too late to do this? I don't want there to be a big difference because of the fading due to the sun.
      Bump!

Vehicles
      Candy-Weiß VI, 1999 Jetta Wolfsburg, 2013 Tiguan 4Mo
      01-30-2011 03:47 PM #81
      It depends on how much you used your visors last summer. Only real way to tell is to try it.
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      the only thing he'll be tucking is his manhood

Vehicles
      01-30-2011 11:44 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by GB724 View Post
      It depends on how much you used your visors last summer. Only real way to tell is to try it.
      I guess I'll take the plunge. I'll do it sometime this week.

Vehicles
      01-31-2011 07:40 PM #83
      Maybe someone can help me really quick. I'm finding it hard to muster the balls to pull out the cable after hearing how people have ripped out the connector. How hard do you have to pull and how much pulling can it take?

Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      01-31-2011 07:49 PM #84
      Maybe someone can help me really quick. I'm finding it hard to muster the balls to pull out the cable after hearing how people have ripped out the connector. How hard do you have to pull and how much pulling can it take?
      What % Isopropyl are you using? If you have 91%+ just leave them in the car. It really wasn't that bad when I did it the other night. Just start the car put on some tunes and about 30 minutes later you'll be done.

Vehicles
      01-31-2011 07:52 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Dilutedx View Post
      What % Isopropyl are you using? If you have 91%+ just leave them in the car. It really wasn't that bad when I did it the other night. Just start the car put on some tunes and about 30 minutes later you'll be done.
      Using 91%. Tried finding 99% but no luck. I rather take em out just because I'm doing them tonight and I have some other stuff like lights to change in the car so I was gonna let it sit a nice amount of time while I did the other stuff.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      01-31-2011 07:55 PM #86
      Flip the visors forward towards the windshield and the towel you use will just sit on top of it. Then while it's soaking do your other stuff.

Vehicles
      01-31-2011 08:23 PM #87
      Flip the visors forward towards the windshield and the towel you use will just sit on top of it. Then while it's soaking do your other stuff.
      now that sounds like a good idea

18. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2.0T Black
      02-05-2011 06:03 PM #88
      I was afraid to do this because I didn't know if the alcohol would stain the headliner when the visor was up towards the windshield (probably not, but I'm paranoid). So I just soaked some paper towels with 90% and held them to the visor with the paper towel roll. Took about 5 minutes for driver's side, 7 minutes for the passenger side.

19. 02-05-2011 06:48 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by rollout50 View Post
      I was afraid to do this because I didn't know if the alcohol would stain the headliner when the visor was up towards the windshield (probably not, but I'm paranoid). So I just soaked some paper towels with 90% and held them to the visor with the paper towel roll. Took about 5 minutes for driver's side, 7 minutes for the passenger side.
      Agreed. No one is more of a wimp than me when it comes to doing stuff on my car. Turn the visors up, place soaked paper towel on the decal and (if you use 90%+ IPA) let it sit for maybe 5 minutes they will put off very nicely (just pull slowly to keep it in a single piece). I laid a towel on my dash to catch the dripping IPA because I soaked the paper towel too much.

The IPA will not stain or hurt anything.

It really is easy.

Vehicles
      Mk.6. Mondeo Hybrid. E46 ZHP (FS). Jeep 4x4 (FS). 300C HEMI.
      04-01-2011 12:25 AM #90
      Just used this to remove the airbag decals on my E46 visors. There's still a bit of sticker residue, but that's because the M-Sport package on my car comes with Alacantra visors. Going to let an alcohol rag soak into it again tomorrow and see if it all comes off. There wasn't any discoloration, either. I used 91%.

Great writeup!
      New guys: READ THIS FIRST. | 8V Society: #369 | Former VW / Audi & BMW Indy Technician (PM for VCDS / GT1 Coding) | Help find Grant's pictures.
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      Seems like it would be pretty self explanatory. Just hand the guy a bomb and an IKEA level instruction sheet and call it day.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      GirlsLoveIt.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      04-01-2011 02:03 AM #91
      What's the minimum concentration should I use? I can't find anything but 70%. Oh and can anyone put up times to let it soak for x% of concentration?

Vehicles
      04-01-2011 03:31 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by ph03n1x View Post
      What's the minimum concentration should I use? I can't find anything but 70%. Oh and can anyone put up times to let it soak for x% of concentration?
      It's gonna be a bitch with 70%. You'll have to let it soak 40+ minutes for it to be a breeze. I used 91% and let it soak for 15 minutes. It peeled off easier than I ever thought it could. I would try to find something above 90%.

Vehicles
      2013 VW
      04-01-2011 07:41 PM #93
      I would try to find something above 90%.
      From where specifically?

CVS?
      Rite Aid?
      '13 Tiguan S -- APR Stage 1, APR Carbonio Intake, R8 Coil Packs, Techtonics Tuning Exhaust, Eibach Pro-Kit, H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar, VM Shifter Bushings, ES Mount Insert, TSW Interlagos Wheels w/Conti DW Tires, Painted Side Markers, Golf R Steering Wheel, etc
      DOWNPIPE For Sale----->http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...uning-Downpipe

Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      04-01-2011 08:57 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
      From where specifically?

CVS?
      Rite Aid?
      I bought my 91% at Wal-mart. I think I saw it at Target tonight too.

Vehicles
      2013 VW
      04-02-2011 03:47 AM #95
      Cool! thanks
      '13 Tiguan S -- APR Stage 1, APR Carbonio Intake, R8 Coil Packs, Techtonics Tuning Exhaust, Eibach Pro-Kit, H&R 24mm Rear Sway Bar, VM Shifter Bushings, ES Mount Insert, TSW Interlagos Wheels w/Conti DW Tires, Painted Side Markers, Golf R Steering Wheel, etc

26. 04-08-2011 03:38 PM #96
      So I did the same thing as gliguy, and the drivers side ribbon cable ripped. Is there a way to fix it? I don't know how it happened because I did it the exact same way as on the passengers side, but either way I feel really stupid for doing it.

Vehicles
      2013 VW
      04-08-2011 10:15 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by rcopp View Post
      So I did the same thing as gliguy, and the drivers side ribbon cable ripped. Is there a way to fix it? I don't know how it happened because I did it the exact same way as on the passengers side, but either way I feel really stupid for doing it.
      Just did this on the CC today....except it's harder than on the GTI because they taped the harness down to the headliner or something

Didn't rip that cable, but instead the wiring for the harness got cut on the metal bracket that the visor hooks into....awesome stuff here

Tried repairing the wires, but it's too short....gotta get a new visor

Side note: Removing the vanity light (pulls down easily) and reaching up there thru that hole helped located the harness though

28. 04-08-2011 11:06 PM #98
      I really don't see why you are not just putting a soaked paper towel on the sticker and flipping the visor up. Gravity is your friend.

Vehicles
      askavwsalesguy.com
      04-08-2011 11:27 PM #99

Vehicles
      2013 VW
      04-09-2011 03:29 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by ghause View Post
      I really don't see why you are not just putting a soaked paper towel on the sticker and flipping the visor up. Gravity is your friend.
      Tried it....no luck since I was in a rush though

Figured it would've been easier to take them out of the car....that proved wrong

31. 04-09-2011 10:12 AM #101
      After removing the visor stickers, I tried using goo gone gel to get rid of some of the residue. It didn't work, and now I have what appears to be stains where I used it... how would I get rid of the stains? Would removing them and scrubbing them down with dawn and a brush work?

32. 04-09-2011 02:37 PM #102
      Just did this to my Golf TDI the other day and loved how it turned out, although I just left the sun visors on the car.

Vehicles
      2013 VW
      04-09-2011 06:30 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnQQQ View Post
      After removing the visor stickers, I tried using goo gone gel to get rid of some of the residue. It didn't work, and now I have what appears to be stains where I used it... how would I get rid of the stains? Would removing them and scrubbing them down with dawn and a brush work?
      There will always be a faint outline of where the sticker was, unfortunately

Just use some vinyl conditioner or Armor All to cover it up

Don't scrub it...you'll stretch the vinyl
      Last edited by snobrdrdan; 04-09-2011 at 06:32 PM.

34. 04-09-2011 10:15 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
      There will always be a faint outline of where the sticker was, unfortunately

Just use some vinyl conditioner or Armor All to cover it up

Don't scrub it...you'll stretch the vinyl

No I know that there will be an outline from the sticker, I mean the stains from the goo gone gel

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Wagon TDI
      04-09-2011 10:20 PM #105
      Anyone got a confirmation on how well the silkscreen decals come off the canadian visors?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast