Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Any 09 people have/want a dpf delete?

Vehicles
      2010 VW JSW TDI
      05-25-2011 09:44 PM #351
      Quote Originally Posted by ToeBall View Post
      Interesting. Mine puffs a bit on takeoff and then no smoke at all. How long ago did Mark tune it and to what level?
      Got mine done about three months and almost four thousand miles ago. Stage 2 tune with DPF delete but stock exhuast.

2. Forum Sponsor Mark@MaloneTuning's Avatar
      Member since 2000 Surrey, B.C. and Blaine, WA
      05-26-2011 03:47 AM #352
      2010 Jetta TDI DSG with Stage 2 - this is the first official DSG dyno we have.

More information here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=319229

So far I would recommend a DSG tune even with a Stage 1 performance tune. It helps maintain smooth shifts. My DSG tune development will begin soon. HPA has a DSG tune readily available.
      ▀▄▀▄▀ Malone Tuning Ltd.
      Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
      Email - info@malonetuning.com Voice Mail - 559-715-2242
      Facebook

3. Forum Sponsor Mark@MaloneTuning's Avatar
      05-26-2011 03:53 AM #353
      Here's a video of smoke from a 2010 Jetta TDI with an aggressive Stage 2 tune (334 wheel torque) with a straight pipe (no diesel particulate filter, etc.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ajR6ZTKEnQ

Concerning the smoke issue with a Stage 2 tune or any +30HP tune in general:

• The smoke is more visible if you remove the DPF and/or catalytic converter. Stage 2 is 100% smoke-free if the DPF is still in place, as evidenced by this video.
      • The smoke normally starts appearing only if you press the accelerator pedal at least 80%.
      • The smoke opacity can vary from car to car depending on fuel quality, climate, etc.
      • Raising boost further will reduce smoke (some tuners may attempt this), but at the potential cost of turbo longevity.
      • If you have DPF delete and if you are concerned about smoke while you're racing the car, then I recommend the Stage 1 tune instead of Stage 2.
      • We tuned a TDI with GTB2260VK turbo and it was virtually smoke-free at ~230bhp. Proper airflow modifications (hint: an intake "upgrade" may not help) can give you even more power potential without adding smoke.
      • Removing the DPF (for off-road use only) can still be beneficial for lower EGT (good for turbo and oil longevity) and for lower fuel consumption.

Last edited by Mark@MaloneTuning; 06-09-2011 at 05:07 PM.
      ▀▄▀▄▀ Malone Tuning Ltd.
      Facebook

4. Member
      Vehicles
      mk2 golf GTD, mk4 tdi swap 2.1L custom pistons, cam, intake, and fully forged bottom end.
      05-26-2011 09:03 AM #354
      Great to see that dyno up in public now I will add it to the dyno sheets page for comparison.

Peter- As Mark mentioned thier is a few things that can be done to reduce smoke, but it will reduce power. We can work something out to get it sorted out. Also, as others mentioned your foot controls the fuel economy and if you are using that extra power then your fuel economy will go down. Try keeping the throttle from going down no more than 1/3 the distance when taking off and increase it slower. See if that helps a bit and get back to me.

Vehicles
      2010 VW JSW TDI
      05-26-2011 05:11 PM #355
      Quote Originally Posted by shortysclimbin View Post
      Great to see that dyno up in public now I will add it to the dyno sheets page for comparison.

Peter- As Mark mentioned thier is a few things that can be done to reduce smoke, but it will reduce power. We can work something out to get it sorted out. Also, as others mentioned your foot controls the fuel economy and if you are using that extra power then your fuel economy will go down. Try keeping the throttle from going down no more than 1/3 the distance when taking off and increase it slower. See if that helps a bit and get back to me.
      Hi Kyle:

As for the MPG's I'm pretty sure I'm getting the most I can out of it. Doing a lot of hypermiling stuff as before the tune. I'm still rev'ing it out every now and then (like before) to blow the crap out. At least thats my reason for having a bit of fun. When I get ready for another trip up north I'll let you know and hopefully I'll have some more money to spend.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      05-27-2011 07:09 AM #356
      Quote Originally Posted by pcporemba View Post
      Hi Kyle:

As for the MPG's I'm pretty sure I'm getting the most I can out of it. Doing a lot of hypermiling stuff as before the tune. I'm still rev'ing it out every now and then (like before) to blow the crap out. At least thats my reason for having a bit of fun. When I get ready for another trip up north I'll let you know and hopefully I'll have some more money to spend.
      Try comparing cruise with your foot on the throttle and using the cruise control. I just find it hard to believe you lost mileage.

Vehicles
      00'/98' Jetta TDI
      05-27-2011 06:39 PM #357
      2000 Jetta, Utah, Utah County. No diesel emissions testing. Before they got rid of the testing, it didn't even have to have a cat as long as it passed the opacity requirement for that year, which was almost impossible to fail.

AKA: No cat required.

Although, the exhaust smell is a lot more pungent (gets sucked in the AC at stop lights) and that's almost enough to make me want to put it back on.

Vehicles
      2010 VW JSW TDI
      05-28-2011 06:52 AM #358
      Quote Originally Posted by ToeBall View Post
      Try comparing cruise with your foot on the throttle and using the cruise control. I just find it hard to believe you lost mileage.
      Hi Toeball
      I've been tracking every tank and run the same route so I'm sure of the results. Remember I'm getting 44.6 MPG for the life of the car. That's in the top ten on Fuelly for my year with a wagon. If you look at my stats on Fuelly.com you'll see that temp is the biggest factor for me. I'm in NJ and the cold/winter fuel cuts my numbers better good. After such a big jump in HP I'm amazed that the MPG did'nt go down more. Of course I was hoping I'd see an increase like other people and that was a factor in my decision to go with the deletes.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      05-28-2011 08:51 AM #359
      Quote Originally Posted by pcporemba View Post
      Hi Toeball
      I've been tracking every tank and run the same route so I'm sure of the results. Remember I'm getting 44.6 MPG for the life of the car. That's in the top ten on Fuelly for my year with a wagon. If you look at my stats on Fuelly.com you'll see that temp is the biggest factor for me. I'm in NJ and the cold/winter fuel cuts my numbers better good. After such a big jump in HP I'm amazed that the MPG did'nt go down more. Of course I was hoping I'd see an increase like other people and that was a factor in my decision to go with the deletes.

Yeah, but that's not what I mean. The way you have to use the throttle changes after the tune if you're trying to get the same mileage. You have to be very smooth and make tiny adjustments. The cruise does this well so I'm curious to see if eliminating an untrained foot (if it's even the case) brings the mileage up.

10. 05-29-2011 02:00 PM #360
      Are there any performance gains to be realized from a "straight-back" after the DPF?
      If so, are there any special sensors ect.. that need to be dealt with?

Thanks,

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      05-29-2011 06:07 PM #361
      Not really, a little bit louder and a CEL for the o2 sonsor untill you get a tune. Your tune will make the biggest differance. Deleting the DPF just helps a lot.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

12. Member
      Vehicles
      mk2 golf GTD, mk4 tdi swap 2.1L custom pistons, cam, intake, and fully forged bottom end.
      05-29-2011 09:31 PM #362
      Peter, when you get a chance we can look into retuning for a lower stage and or few add on options for you to remove some of the smoke and smell.

As others have mentioned the downpipe is the biggest gain, but the flapper valve back exhaust I offer does show improvements of egt temps and power over the oem setup along with a huge weight savings!

Vehicles
      2010 VW JSW TDI
      05-31-2011 12:14 PM #363
      Peter, when you get a chance we can look into retuning for a lower stage and or few add on options for you to remove some of the smoke and smell.

As others have mentioned the downpipe is the biggest gain, but the flapper valve back exhaust I offer does show improvements of egt temps and power over the oem setup along with a huge weight savings!
      Hi Kyle:

I was thinking of adding your exhaust. What's the difference between yours and the Borla? The Borla looks like it's just bent pipe with chrome tips.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-05-2011 11:37 AM #364
      Hello Peter,

Performance Diesel Engineering's exhaust offers a few options over borla's and banks axle back piece:

1) My exhausts go all the way back to the downpipe offering a true CAT back exhaust style. This allows you to run a full 2.5" exhaust system where as the borla will still have the restrictive oem system in place.
      2) My exhaust has a resignator/ high flow Muffler in place. This quites down some higher pitch noise and passes most requirements for exhaust inspections.
      3) I have designed the exhaust to be adjustable for normal / GLI / and TDICUP so it is more universal than the borla or banks (others require cutting and rewelding for fit).

Vehicles
      2010 VW JSW TDI
      06-07-2011 08:51 PM #365
      Hello Peter,

Performance Diesel Engineering's exhaust offers a few options over borla's and banks axle back piece:

1) My exhausts go all the way back to the downpipe offering a true CAT back exhaust style. This allows you to run a full 2.5" exhaust system where as the borla will still have the restrictive oem system in place.
      2) My exhaust has a resignator/ high flow Muffler in place. This quites down some higher pitch noise and passes most requirements for exhaust inspections.
      3) I have designed the exhaust to be adjustable for normal / GLI / and TDICUP so it is more universal than the borla or banks (others require cutting and rewelding for fit).
      Thanks for the info. I guess I need to start saving for my next trip up north.

16. Forum Sponsor Mark@MaloneTuning's Avatar
      06-09-2011 05:15 PM #366
      Since there was quite a bit of discussion about Stage 2 + DPF delete smoke in this thread, I figured it'd be appropriate to include a video here:

The smoke is visible only at or very near WOT (wide open "throttle").
      ▀▄▀▄▀ Malone Tuning Ltd.
      Facebook

17. 06-10-2011 08:57 AM #367
      Mark,

From another forum, regarding the recent 23H1 ECU flash: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=318495&page=5

"My Revo software was removed by the dealer when I had them flash the ECU, but I expected this. I went back to the Revo dealer.. they looked at the new software code and told us they'd never seen the new code before. So we scanned the whole ECU and sent Revo the file. A month later (just last week) Revo tells us that my ECU has been locked out like >2010 cars and they'll need to bench the ECU to scan it and get it flashed"

Would this be a concern for your DPF delete tune?
      I had my ECU flashed and can tell that the Revo tune is gone/deminished, but drivability has improved, along with a slight improvement in MPG.

Thanks,
      Last edited by Hank101; 06-10-2011 at 09:03 AM.

18. Forum Sponsor Mark@MaloneTuning's Avatar
      06-10-2011 10:29 AM #368
      Quote Originally Posted by Hank101 View Post
      Mark,

From another forum, regarding the recent 23H1 ECU flash: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=318495&page=5

"My Revo software was removed by the dealer when I had them flash the ECU, but I expected this. I went back to the Revo dealer.. they looked at the new software code and told us they'd never seen the new code before. So we scanned the whole ECU and sent Revo the file. A month later (just last week) Revo tells us that my ECU has been locked out like >2010 cars and they'll need to bench the ECU to scan it and get it flashed"

Would this be a concern for your DPF delete tune?
      I had my ECU flashed and can tell that the Revo tune is gone/deminished, but drivability has improved, along with a slight improvement in MPG.

Thanks,
      At the time of this writing, we only bench-flash 2009-2012 ECUs so this is a non-issue for us.

Benching an ECU is beneficial as it does not increment the flash counter AFAIK, and it allows us to do a full backup of the ECU (not possible thru OBD2).
      ▀▄▀▄▀ Malone Tuning Ltd.
      Facebook

Vehicles
      2011 VW Golf TDI 6M
      06-28-2011 03:59 PM #369
      I, like many others, are very interested in this but had some other questions related to it. Since it is a bit of money I'd like to really nail down the benefits. I'm not doubting anything said, just trying to understand the functions of each component. If the stage 2 tune is the primary reason for the increase in drive-ability and the downpipe is really only needed to open the door for future power adders then it'll help me plan out my mods more efficiently.

It seems like most of the people that get this downpipe usually purchase a stage1/2 tune to go along with it. Having done a bunch of research on ECU tuning, I know that it really changes the driving dynamics of the car (almost always for the best). I'm curious if anyone has done just the DPF delete downpipe and DPF delete tune from Malone, without the additional stage1/2 tunes?

I remember reading another post earlier (forgive me for not quoting whoever you are) that stated that starting out in first no longer has that bogging "issue" and the throttle was much more responsive (in addition to the power and mileage increases). I'd really just like to see if that was due to the upgraded tune or the downpipe or a combination of both. I'm not so worried about if the downpipe gives me power or not but I'd like to iron out the exhaust restrictions and hopefully improve the lower "off-boost" responsiveness. I'll rely on the tune to handle the majority of the power increase.

I, myself, will be going with a stage 2 tune anyway with downpipe and full straight exhaust (when finances allow) but would like to see which of these added benefits are attributed to the downpipe and which are due to the tune. Sorry if this has been addressed already.. I'm looking for user experiences if possible.

Thanks.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 A3 TDI
      06-28-2011 06:01 PM #370
      I remember reading that just a straight pipe back from the catalytic converter got rid of the bog. It's driving me nuts on the TDI. I'm thinking I want to do the DPF delete but CA SMOG requirements are horrible and I wouldn't pass. I think the best option for me would be a Stage 1 tune with a cat-back muffler? Any recommendations for Nor-Cal ECU tuners?

21. 06-28-2011 06:07 PM #371
      Quote Originally Posted by bmw511 View Post
      I remember reading that just a straight pipe back from the catalytic converter got rid of the bog. It's driving me nuts on the TDI. I'm thinking I want to do the DPF delete but CA SMOG requirements are horrible and I wouldn't pass. I think the best option for me would be a Stage 1 tune with a cat-back muffler? Any recommendations for Nor-Cal ECU tuners?
      Or throw the pipe back on come smog time

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      06-28-2011 10:59 PM #372
      Quote Originally Posted by strykeback View Post
      Or throw the pipe back on come smog time

I wouldn't suggest that option, its a b!tch to take out in the first place. For smog do they do the tailpipe probe?

23. 06-29-2011 02:57 AM #373
      Quote Originally Posted by cmrnowlin View Post
      I wouldn't suggest that option, its a b!tch to take out in the first place. For smog do they do the tailpipe probe?
      Believe it is. Though my last car I owned 8 years and had to have it smogged once the last year I had it. So the odds of having a smog check must be a lottery.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      06-29-2011 05:38 AM #374
      Quote Originally Posted by strykeback View Post
      Believe it is. Though my last car I owned 8 years and had to have it smogged once the last year I had it. So the odds of having a smog check must be a lottery.
      Interesting, in AZ they just check for a CEL. You could probably get away with throwing your cat back on for testing then take it back off afterwords. I didn't have much smoke at all until my EGT sensor went out on me.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      06-29-2011 07:37 AM #375
      Quote Originally Posted by DiezlDub View Post
      I, like many others, are very interested in this but had some other questions related to it. Since it is a bit of money I'd like to really nail down the benefits. I'm not doubting anything said, just trying to understand the functions of each component. If the stage 2 tune is the primary reason for the increase in drive-ability and the downpipe is really only needed to open the door for future power adders then it'll help me plan out my mods more efficiently.

It seems like most of the people that get this downpipe usually purchase a stage1/2 tune to go along with it. Having done a bunch of research on ECU tuning, I know that it really changes the driving dynamics of the car (almost always for the best). I'm curious if anyone has done just the DPF delete downpipe and DPF delete tune from Malone, without the additional stage1/2 tunes?

I remember reading another post earlier (forgive me for not quoting whoever you are) that stated that starting out in first no longer has that bogging "issue" and the throttle was much more responsive (in addition to the power and mileage increases). I'd really just like to see if that was due to the upgraded tune or the downpipe or a combination of both. I'm not so worried about if the downpipe gives me power or not but I'd like to iron out the exhaust restrictions and hopefully improve the lower "off-boost" responsiveness. I'll rely on the tune to handle the majority of the power increase.

I, myself, will be going with a stage 2 tune anyway with downpipe and full straight exhaust (when finances allow) but would like to see which of these added benefits are attributed to the downpipe and which are due to the tune. Sorry if this has been addressed already.. I'm looking for user experiences if possible.

Thanks.
      They're sort of interdependent mods, but to sort of answer your question, I still had the shudder issue with the stage 2 tune when I had the DPF. The engine produced a lot more grunt on the low end, no more bog-kill, and throttle response was better but no improvement in millage (actually had some loss until I learned finer throttle modulation). I'll throw in a video as well.

Last edited by ToeBall; 06-29-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast