Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 GOLF 2.0 stuck in 2nd gear many DTC

1. 03-10-2010 10:26 PM #1
      Hello everyone. I am searching for help with this car I just bought. It is stuck in 2nd gear and won't come out of it. I have reverse. If put it in "D" it takes off in 2nd and stays in that gear. If i drop it down to 1 manually, it slams in 1st and I can manually shift it into 2nd but nothing after that.

I scanned it with a generic OBDII and got these codes:
      p0753 shift Solenoid A electrical
      p0758 shift Solenoid B electrical
      p0763 shift Solenoid C electrical
      p0768 shift Solenoid D electrical
      p0773 shift Solenoid E electrical
      p0785 Shift Timing Solenoid
      p0748 Pressure Control Solenoid A

I ohm tested at the tranny and the only one off was solenoid 1 (n88).

I dont have a vag-com.

Does anybody have an idea as to what this may be? I was thinking the harness but since the other solenoids all tested could I rule that out as ok?
      I dont know where the TCU is located on this car, and I couldn't find it on google for the life in me!
      I tried the TCU manual reset with key on, throttle down, key off, throttle off, start car wait 5 min and drive..........nothing changed.

Any help is appreciated it.
      thanks in advance.

Modified by aminoacid at 10:32 PM 3-10-2010

2. 03-11-2010 11:13 AM #2
      Have you cleared codes to see which one comes back? The vehicle harness connector has a clip retainer on it that sometimes goes missing, does your harness have it? If its missing this will cause a bad connection and set many/all the codes you have. The computer should be under the rear seat or under the wipers (passenger side).

I have the internal wire harness in stock ($125.00)
      I have the solenoids in stock ($20 each, 5 required)
      I have the PWM solenoids in stock ($55 each 2 required)
      I have re-manufactured valve bodies in stock ($495)

Carlos

http://www.valvebodybuilders.com
      Canada

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      03-11-2010 11:14 AM #3

Did you buy the car in this condition? Was you driving fine for years then this happened? Did someone work on it and then this happened?

POint being, you have codes for basically everything inside trans. If someone had the key on and unplugged the trans you could have all these codes. Also if your "ribbon strip" goes open on the power wire, or the cars harness has an open in the power wire you'll also get all those codes.

Drive through any puddles?

Make sure the solenoid connector is plugged in and not contaminated with water. You need to clear the codes and see what reoccurs. OBDII code checker isn't the right tool since it only access's the engine computer. (yes I know you got trans codes, but they are communicated from trans computer to engine computer as per OBDII guidelines.)

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

4. 03-11-2010 11:22 AM #4
      yes I bought the car like this, it has 87,000 miles on it.
      the generic (Innova) obd2 scanner won't clear the codes. I am watching this VAG scanner on ebay, will this be the right unit to scan and clear like the Ross VAG-COM?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...%3AIT

I"ve been reading many posts.

No puddles, the connector is super clean. I have not tested if i have 12 volts at that connector, which pins do I test 12 volts? 1 & vehicle ground?

I appreciate your help and efforts. thanks

Vehicles
      03-11-2010 02:11 PM #5
      I have no experience with that scanner.

Refer to this thread regarding pin locations.. (shift solenoid voltage supply-- Harness side)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4711303

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

6. 03-17-2010 09:57 PM #6
      I finally got ahold of a friend who has a snap on modis. He tried to reset the codes/TCU but it would not reset.

What else can i do?

7. 03-18-2010 08:34 AM #7
      Check your speed sensors. The same thing happened to me. My car was stuck in 3rd gear and i needed two new speed sensors there about $450 for the both of them.

Vehicles
      03-19-2010 12:21 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by DubLovemkIV »
      Check your speed sensors. The same thing happened to me. My car was stuck in 3rd gear and i needed two new speed sensors there about $450 for the both of them.

This makes no sense. Maybe it would make sense if you had speed sensor codes.

www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      03-19-2010 12:22 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by aminoacid »
      I finally got ahold of a friend who has a snap on modis. He tried to reset the codes/TCU but it would not reset.

What else can i do?

maybe read the suggestions above???

www.KansasCityTdi.com

10. 03-19-2010 06:13 PM #10
      I read the above posts, i check it daily. If I wanted to test the 12v supply for the shift solenoid which is pin 1 on the harness side, do i turn key on, and check pin 1 + any ground or how exactly?
      thanks

11. 03-19-2010 06:17 PM #11
      I called the dealer to rule out if the tranny has been replaced prior and my tcm number is 01m927733HM that came out of the car now. Dealer told me if car had ABS the HM should be LR and without ABS the last 2 letters should be FK.
      I want to assume that the HM and LR are interchangable as I found a TCM on ebay and the seller said they are interchangable. According to the VIN the dealer said I should have a EPG tranny code, does anyone know where this code is stamped so i can confirm this information?
      I guess i should start from the beginning.

thanks

Vehicles
      03-20-2010 12:06 PM #12
      I read the above posts, i check it daily. If I wanted to test the 12v supply for the shift solenoid which is pin 1 on the harness side, do i turn key on, and check pin 1 + any ground or how exactly?
      thanks

Quote, originally posted by CoolAirVw »
      Refer to this thread regarding pin locations.. (shift solenoid voltage supply-- Harness side)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4711303

www.KansasCityTdi.com

13. 03-20-2010 12:27 PM #13
      Ok, i've checked that picture several times now already. My question was how do i test the voltage for example, EPC voltage supply PIN 2 ...as well as Shift solenoid voltage supply PIN 1, do i check PIN 1 with ignition key on and put red lead on pin 1 of my volt meter and black on a common ground\ of the vehicle? or do I test PIN 1 and EV2 Grnd for example?

I dont think i'm getting 12 volts out of that plug harness side so i want to make sure i'm testing correctly

Recap: all plugs are very clean with no signs of corrosion, the TCM plug is also clean, inside the TCM no signs of corrosion or obvious burn spots.

14. 03-20-2010 09:39 PM #14
      I got a VAG scanner today and rescanned the vehicle.
      00258 Shift Solenoid 1-open circuit or short to ground or B+ (N88)

00260 Solenoid Valve 2 (n89)-static interruption
      0026(guess i didnt write this one properly) but again, Solenoid Valve 3 (n90)-static interruption
      00264 Solenoid valve 4 (n91)-static interruption
      00266 Solenoid valve 5 (n92)-static interruption
      00270 Solenoid valve 7 (n94)-static interruption

00268 Solenoid valve 6 (n93)-sporadic-open circuit

Not sure if this is pretty much the same as my first post but even with this VAG scanner I coulnd't clear the codes.

Vehicles
      03-21-2010 06:58 PM #15
      ......... but even with this VAG scanner I coulnd't clear the codes.

This probably means they clear but then reoccur immediatly.

Ok, i've checked that picture several times now already. My question was how do i test the voltage for example, EPC voltage supply PIN 2 ...as well as Shift solenoid voltage supply PIN 1, do i check PIN 1 with ignition key on and put red lead on pin 1 of my volt meter and black on a common ground\ of the vehicle? or do I test PIN 1 and EV2 Grnd for example?

I dont think i'm getting 12 volts out of that plug harness side so i want to make sure i'm testing correctly

Recap: all plugs are very clean with no signs of corrosion, the TCM plug is also clean, inside the TCM no signs of corrosion or obvious burn spots.

Put your voltmeters black lead on the negitive post of the battery. Clean the battery terminals first. Between the battery posts and the cable and the outside part that your connecting your voltmeter lead to.

IF you not getting 12V to the plug harness side, then thats probably your problem. I assume your checking this with the key on correct?

Modified by CoolAirVw at 4:02 PM 3-21-2010

www.KansasCityTdi.com

16. 03-23-2010 10:03 PM #16
      Update: I checked voltage at pin 1 and 2, am getting 2.5 volts and 1.9 volts respectively. (with key on of course) I seen in another posting you mentioned checking at the TCM pin 18, and I have 12 volts there.
      I dont know if I should conclude the TCM is bad or I have a wiring issue from the TCM plug down to the tranny harness.
      Is there a way to test wiring from TCM to tranny?
      If i'm getting 2.5 volts could that mean there is a short ? I'm a caveman when it comes to wiring issues, i can do all the mechanical stuff but electrical issues takes talent and most importantly understanding of the circuits.

I did find this online somewhere:

Checking resistance of solenoid valves

* Re-connect 12-pin connector.
      * Connect test box to control module wiring harness, connect test box for wiring test.
      * Measure resistance of solenoid valves at test box between sockets:

Component Sockets Specified value
      Solenoid valve 1 -N88- 55 + 67 55.0 to 65.0 ohms
      Solenoid valve 2 -N89- 54 + 67 55.0 to 65.0 ohms
      Solenoid valve 3 -N90- 9 + 67 55.0 to 65.0 ohms
      Solenoid valve 4 -N91- 47 + 67 4.5 to 6.5 ohms
      Solenoid valve 5 -N92- 56 + 67 55.0 to 65.0 ohms
      Solenoid valve 6 -N93- 22 + 58 4.5 to 6.5 ohms
      Solenoid valve 7 -N94- 10 + 67 55.0 to 65.0 ohms
      Note: Resistance value is valid at approx. 20°C. At higher temperatures, resistance value increases.

If one of the specified values is not obtained:

* Check wires to Transmission Control Module (TCM) according to wiring diagram.

Checking wires to Transmission Control Module (TCM)

* Disconnect 12-pin harness connector at transmission.
      * Check wires between test box and 12-pin connector to Transmission Control Module (TCM) for open circuit according to wiring diagram.
      * Wire resistance: max. 1.5 ohms

Component Connector Test box
      Solenoid valve 1 -N88- Terminal 1 Socket 67
      Terminal 3 Socket 55
      Solenoid valve 2 -N89- Terminal 1 Socket 67
      Terminal 4 Socket 54
      Solenoid valve 3 -N90- Terminal 1 Socket 67
      Terminal 5 Socket 9
      Solenoid valve 4 -N91- Terminal 1 Socket 67
      Terminal 6 Socket 47
      Solenoid valve 5 -N92- Terminal 1 Socket 67
      Terminal 7 Socket 56
      Solenoid valve 6 -N93- Terminal 2 Socket 22
      Terminal 8 Socket 58
      Solenoid valve 7 -N94- Terminal 1 Socket 67
      Terminal 10 Socket 10

* Check wires for short circuit to each other.
      * Specified value: infinite ohms

If no malfunctions are found in wires:

* Replace circuit board or valve body:

I dont have a V.A.G 1594 connector test kit which was mentioned by the author, but from what i understand I can check the wiring from the tcm socket down to the 12pin connector.
      For example Valve 1 I check ohms on terminal 1(12 pin connector) + socket 67(at tcm) then another test for Terminal 3 + socket 55.

Thanks in advance for any input

Modified by aminoacid at 12:09 AM 3-24-2010

17. 03-28-2010 11:51 AM #17

Modified by aminoacid at 1:30 AM 4-11-2010

18. 08-03-2010 10:43 PM #18
      I was following your thread and saw no final conclusion. Did you resolve your issue? I seem to have exactly the same symptoms. Thanks for the update.

19. 03-16-2013 05:22 PM #19
      I too am havin the same problem. Any update