Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY - Exhaust Leak Test (Seafoam) - Find Exhaust Leaks

Vehicles
      2003/VW/Jetta Wolfy 1.8T
      03-14-2010 11:58 PM #1
      Well, I know a lot of people will say "it's not necessary". But as a dumb guy like me, I felt necessary when I was searching for which "vac line" I should use for 1.8T engine.

1. remove the L-shaped hose (orange circle)

2. connect a 5/16'' hose (I stole from my lab). I cut one end of the hose with slope, so that I can easily prevent the opening from completely submerging under the liquid.

3. Start engine and siphon
      4. Shut engine off and wait for 5 min
      5. Start engine and rev it to high rpm

Really no need to take a photo of the smoke. Today is very windy, so the smoke was blown away before the neighbors could discover.

One problem and question:

I saw smoke coming from behind the engine, a leak at the exhaust manifold?

Vehicles
      2004 GLI 02M; 1997 Ford F-150
      03-15-2010 12:07 AM #2
      Quote, originally posted by DexYves »

I saw smoke coming from behind the engine, a leak at the exhaust manifold?

Yes... or turbo, or downpipe.

Please vote for a Maestro Tuning Sub-Forum!
      PM me for Bentley repair manual PDF.

Vehicles
      2003/VW/Jetta Wolfy 1.8T
      03-15-2010 12:17 AM #3
      How come it only happens when I seafoam it? Could there be other symtoms I should have seen?

Vehicles
      2001 1.8T AWD Jetta
      03-15-2010 12:19 AM #4
      I just seafoamed mine yesterday. I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the area around my DV. I have an aftermarket DV but I have a stock TIP and everything...

My neighbors looked outside and they had thought that the smoke was fog and they where trying to figure out why it was foggy out when it was the middle of the day and 60 degrees out lol.

Vehicles
      2003/VW/Jetta Wolfy 1.8T
      03-15-2010 12:27 AM #5
      Did you also use the hose on the manifold? Why should the smoke go to DV? I'm thinking that your turbo is also leaky, as mine~

Vehicles
      2004 GLI 02M; 1997 Ford F-150
      03-15-2010 09:37 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by DexYves »
      Did you also use the hose on the manifold? Why should the smoke go to DV? I'm thinking that your turbo is also leaky, as mine~

When I use Seafoam I also utilize the same port on the manifold. Check the exhaust manifold gaskets. The one from the manifold to the turbo on mine was cracked and there was a pretty bad leak.

Please vote for a Maestro Tuning Sub-Forum!
      PM me for Bentley repair manual PDF.

7. 08-05-2010 11:07 PM #7
      Just did this! (Thanks for your pics, i located the vac line. lol)

I wasn't sure how much SF to use, so judging by your pic with the stuff in the cup, i only used a few table spoons. But afterwords, doing some research on the net, i see most people use a third of a can, then proceed with this formula:

-- 1/3 can of Seafoam thru the vacuum line
      (Then run the procedure as described above. Can stop here but should continue on to next steps to use up the rest of the can and complete the process.)
      Then...
      -- 1/3 down the oil hole in the in the crank case
      -- 1/3 in the gas tank

Drive around for 30min or so (as per Seafoam instructions.)

So, ill try again on the weekend. I did however get some decent white smoke with only a couple table spoons of the stuff though!

Fyi, the stock hose clamp over the vac hose is not adjustable as shown in your pic (i just buy some of those though! lol), but i was able to grasp it with the pliers and wiggle the hose off the male end without having to break off the clamp. Afterwords, i just pushed the hose and clamp back over the TB male end.

Thanks OP for this write up and pics!

Vehicles
      2003 1.8T Jetta Wolsfburg
      08-05-2010 11:19 PM #8
      I'm totally newb to seafoam treatment. Going to get some tomorrow. I read the instructions on their site but can't figure it 100%.

Once you've put the above portion of seafoam in the systems, then drive 30min, then what? do you change your oil or leave it their?

I'm going to do oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs.

Should I do seafoam before everything else?

9. 08-05-2010 11:52 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by denimboy View Post
      I'm totally newb to seafoam treatment. Going to get some tomorrow. I read the instructions on their site but can't figure it 100%.

Once you've put the above portion of seafoam in the systems, then drive 30min, then what? do you change your oil or leave it their?

I'm going to do oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs.

Should I do seafoam before everything else?
      Yeah im new to this also. But from what ive researched, some people either apply the SF via vac hose (as mentioned by OP), and get the cool white smoke "instant cleaning action" and be done with it, OR, use the steps i mentioned above for the complete clean out. This covers the top and bottom of the engine system...

Vehicles
      08-06-2010 07:23 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by That_Crayon_Smell View Post
      Yeah im new to this also. But from what ive researched, some people either apply the SF via vac hose (as mentioned by OP), and get the cool white smoke "instant cleaning action" and be done with it, OR, use the steps i mentioned above for the complete clean out. This covers the top and bottom of the engine system...
      I understand but the SF in your oil, do you leave it in or change right after?

11. Former Advertiser
      08-06-2010 08:22 AM #11
      If anything that would be coming from your Kombi valve that is located in the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffcoan View Post
      I just seafoamed mine yesterday. I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the area around my DV. I have an aftermarket DV but I have a stock TIP and everything...

My neighbors looked outside and they had thought that the smoke was fog and they where trying to figure out why it was foggy out when it was the middle of the day and 60 degrees out lol.

12. 08-06-2010 09:56 AM #12
      I understand but the SF in your oil, do you leave it in or change right after?
      You'd leave the SF in the oil and drive around for 30min or so. Enough to get the oil hot and working the SF in and around the engine components.
      THEN, proceed with your oil change.

That being said, SF have an "After Service Additive" method, where they say to add it to your oil AFTER your oil change. This is good too, but you have to monitor your oil regularly for colour change etc... Apparently the oil gets dirtier, quicker. Then change the oil after 5,000 km's (SF say 3000 miles max...which is like 4828 kms, lol)

Vehicles
      08-06-2010 10:48 AM #13
      You'd leave the SF in the oil and drive around for 30min or so. Enough to get the oil hot and working the SF in and around the engine components.
      THEN, proceed with your oil change.

That being said, SF have an "After Service Additive" method, where they say to add it to your oil AFTER your oil change. This is good too, but you have to monitor your oil regularly for colour change etc... Apparently the oil gets dirtier, quicker. Then change the oil after 5,000 km's (SF say 3000 miles max...which is like 4828 kms, lol)
      Thanks. One more thing, when you say ''1/3 down the oil hole in the in the crank case'' you mean the oil hole on the head or there's somewhere we can pour directly in the crankcase?

14. 08-06-2010 11:31 AM #14
      Thanks. One more thing, when you say ''1/3 down the oil hole in the in the crank case'' you mean the oil hole on the head or there's somewhere we can pour directly in the crankcase?
      lol oops, yeah i just meant removing the oil cap and pouring the 1/3 down where you'd normally pour your oil down the hole at the top of the engine. Valve cover?

Vehicles
      08-06-2010 01:32 PM #15
      lol oops, yeah i just meant removing the oil cap and pouring the 1/3 down where you'd normally pour your oil down the hole at the top of the engine. Valve cover?
      lol, yeah

Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8t
      08-24-2010 04:51 PM #16
      doing it this afternoon. thanks for a clear write up and the "dumb guy" pic im in the same boat of intelligence.
      _Speed has never killed anyone......its suddenly becoming stationary...That's what gets you."
      _If I pull this handbrake lever all my girlfriends clothes will come off!!!
      Clarkson

17. 08-24-2010 06:09 PM #17
      Seafoam says you do not need to change your oil after putting it in. If you are worried about it go ahead and do the oil change, but I've never changed it after adding the recommended amount and never had an issue.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html

18. 08-24-2010 06:13 PM #18
      I've never trusted running this stuff myself. Just paranoid I guess.
      MK4 Junker : PAG 50trim Kit : AEB : RMR : Eurodyne
      P.P.T. - Pag Parts Turbo
      B6 A4 : Slow

Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8t
      08-24-2010 08:16 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by screwball View Post
      I've never trusted running this stuff myself. Just paranoid I guess.
      did it about an hour ago. this DIY is good and it seems to have worked great. i put about 1/3 in the vacuum hose and 1/3 in the fuel. im impressed and the smoke was biblical!!!!
      _Speed has never killed anyone......its suddenly becoming stationary...That's what gets you."
      Clarkson

Vehicles
      06 a3; 05 gli; 93 fox
      08-25-2010 12:54 AM #20
      heard it eats up rings/lifters in your head, dunno if it does or not but kept me away from doing it
      i just run it thru the vac line, use autorx for oil and fuel injector cleaner for gas....

used this diy
      http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ow-To-Sea-Foam
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii5-0
      never let a woman touch your car, it should have never been in the kitchen for her to touch

Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8t
      08-25-2010 12:58 AM #21
      from everything ive read almost everyone with experience with it says its 100% safe and i think it did help a bit. it was certainly the most entertaining maintainence ive done (with the massive amount of smoke) then i took it up a bicycle infested road and suffocated everyone (worth it regardless of end result)
      Clarkson

Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8t
      08-25-2010 01:00 AM #22
      i definately had some smoke from behing the engine not sure what is leaking but future project maybe?
      Clarkson

Vehicles
      2001 1.8T AWD Jetta
      08-25-2010 02:22 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by DonR@Unitronic.ca View Post
      If anything that would be coming from your Kombi valve that is located in the same area.
      Your totally right. I pressure tested my intake a month or so ago and my kombi valve (puck looking thing right?) can hardly hold any pressure and leaks around the back edge.

Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8t
      08-25-2010 02:12 PM #24
      another link incase you want to see all three application of seafoam http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=312477
      Clarkson

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta TDi BEW
      05-23-2012 07:26 PM #25
      I also had a bit of smoke behind the engine...maybe its normal?

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 08:05 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8tguy94 View Post
      I also had a bit of smoke behind the engine...maybe its normal?
      Nope. You have a leak! :-) That's what this test shows.

Go do the test again. This time put a rag loosly in the tail pipe. Get out some mirrors or whatever you need to figure out exactly where the smoke is coming out.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta TDi BEW
      05-23-2012 09:47 PM #27
      Blah. I'll have to try it again. Haha

Vehicles
      01 Audi TT 225Q AMU
      05-28-2012 06:14 PM #28
      I just did it using this procedure, I got a CEL while it wass sucking up the stuff but the CEL went away after I had it sit (before the restart and rev / smoke)

I had smoke from the turbo area as well which sucks because I just installed a new gasket with my new downpipe and really tightened the DP down really tight and well.

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta TDi BEW
      05-30-2012 01:28 AM #29
      hmmm, sounds like a lot of people have this same issue. I bet its probly the same problem too. I will have to try sea foaming again once I have a bit more money and see if I can see exactly where its coming from!

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-30-2012 04:32 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8tguy94 View Post
      hmmm, sounds like a lot of people have this same issue. I bet its probly the same problem too. I will have to try sea foaming again once I have a bit more money and see if I can see exactly where its coming from!
      There are lots of places to leak... That's why this test is so good. It finds them
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-30-2012 03:21 PM #31
      My Build

Vehicles
      01 Audi TT 225Q AMU
      05-30-2012 04:11 PM #32
      what kind of damages happen from a leaky downpipe ??

the car isnt loud and makes full boost (20 psi) and runs great/ doesnt spike at all

Vehicles
      '03 jti 1.8t
      06-11-2012 06:44 PM #33
      thanks to seafoam my misfire woes are finally over ...for now

34. 07-12-2012 10:10 PM #34
      Seafoaming is NOT 100% safe... If you follow the directions you won't have troubles, if you get overly ambitious with it and the vacuum tube sending it through your intake it is possible to hydro-lock your engine. However, if you do it like the instructions say, and TAKE YOUR TIME, it's fine. When I did it (after reading a couple horror stories about it) I was so nervous about it that the second my engine started to grumble I pulled it out and let it get back to normal idling.

As far as changing your oil... I would judge by how much smoke you have coming out. If the smoke is an indication of how much is being cleaned out of your engine, then the same amount of "trash" is being wash out of your engine and is ending up in your oil pan.. Also since the SF is much thinner a liquid than oil, using it will also thin out your oil. I'd recommend changing your oil after doing a seafoam treatment.

When I discovered seafoam I asked my dad about it (he's a old classic car 'merican muscle gear head from back in the day).

People used to run mineral spirits through their engine... Same as we do with the seafoam, intake, gas and oil. He explained that it did the same thing as seafoam.

Some of the old tricks still work perfectly well on new cars.
      Looking for ONE Luff M1 19x8.5 5x112 et48 wheel... please let me know if you have one available.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta Big Turbo
      07-30-2012 05:59 PM #35
      I think and believe that when you use SeaFoam to check for leaks that it always shows a little smoke coming from behind the engine. I think it might not be a leak but just the burning of it. I know my exhaust is tight as we just did a big turbo build and everything was tighten down correctly but still had very little smoke coming from behind the engine bay area. I think its just a burn off of some sorts.
      2003 Jetta, Precision 5558HP .63ar Dual BB Billet 4" in 2.5" out, 630cc Injectors, 225TT MAF, Rods and Bearings, Running Maestro 7, 2.0T Coils, BBM Fuel Rail, Koni Coils, Wavetrac LSD, Clutchmasters FX400 Clutch, AEM Gauges, 3" DP into 2.5" CB, VF Engineering Motor Mounts and Water Meth Coming Soon
      http://www.everythingeuro.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast