Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 49

    Thread: DIY - Exhaust Leak Test (Seafoam) - Find Exhaust Leaks

    1. Member DexYves's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2009
      Location
      Durham, NC
      Posts
      117
      Vehicles
      2003/VW/Jetta Wolfy 1.8T
      03-14-2010 10:58 PM #1
      Well, I know a lot of people will say "it's not necessary". But as a dumb guy like me, I felt necessary when I was searching for which "vac line" I should use for 1.8T engine.
      1. remove the L-shaped hose (orange circle)

      2. connect a 5/16'' hose (I stole from my lab). I cut one end of the hose with slope, so that I can easily prevent the opening from completely submerging under the liquid.

      3. Start engine and siphon
      4. Shut engine off and wait for 5 min
      5. Start engine and rev it to high rpm

      Really no need to take a photo of the smoke. Today is very windy, so the smoke was blown away before the neighbors could discover.

      One problem and question:
      I saw smoke coming from behind the engine, a leak at the exhaust manifold?

    2. Member Andaloons's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2004
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      1,298
      Vehicles
      2004 GLI 02M; 1997 Ford F-150
      03-14-2010 11:07 PM #2
      Quote, originally posted by DexYves »
      I saw smoke coming from behind the engine, a leak at the exhaust manifold?

      Yes... or turbo, or downpipe.
      Please vote for a Maestro Tuning Sub-Forum!
      PM me for Bentley repair manual PDF.

    3. Member DexYves's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2009
      Location
      Durham, NC
      Posts
      117
      Vehicles
      2003/VW/Jetta Wolfy 1.8T
      03-14-2010 11:17 PM #3
      How come it only happens when I seafoam it? Could there be other symtoms I should have seen?

    4. Member jeffcoan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 24th, 2009
      Location
      Spokane, WA
      Posts
      593
      Vehicles
      2001 1.8T AWD Jetta
      03-14-2010 11:19 PM #4
      I just seafoamed mine yesterday. I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the area around my DV. I have an aftermarket DV but I have a stock TIP and everything...
      My neighbors looked outside and they had thought that the smoke was fog and they where trying to figure out why it was foggy out when it was the middle of the day and 60 degrees out lol.

    5. Member DexYves's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2009
      Location
      Durham, NC
      Posts
      117
      Vehicles
      2003/VW/Jetta Wolfy 1.8T
      03-14-2010 11:27 PM #5
      Did you also use the hose on the manifold? Why should the smoke go to DV? I'm thinking that your turbo is also leaky, as mine~

    6. Member Andaloons's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2004
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      1,298
      Vehicles
      2004 GLI 02M; 1997 Ford F-150
      03-15-2010 08:37 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by DexYves »
      Did you also use the hose on the manifold? Why should the smoke go to DV? I'm thinking that your turbo is also leaky, as mine~

      When I use Seafoam I also utilize the same port on the manifold. Check the exhaust manifold gaskets. The one from the manifold to the turbo on mine was cracked and there was a pretty bad leak.
      Please vote for a Maestro Tuning Sub-Forum!
      PM me for Bentley repair manual PDF.

    7. 08-05-2010 10:07 PM #7
      Just did this! (Thanks for your pics, i located the vac line. lol)

      I wasn't sure how much SF to use, so judging by your pic with the stuff in the cup, i only used a few table spoons. But afterwords, doing some research on the net, i see most people use a third of a can, then proceed with this formula:

      -- 1/3 can of Seafoam thru the vacuum line
      (Then run the procedure as described above. Can stop here but should continue on to next steps to use up the rest of the can and complete the process.)
      Then...
      -- 1/3 down the oil hole in the in the crank case
      -- 1/3 in the gas tank

      Drive around for 30min or so (as per Seafoam instructions.)

      So, ill try again on the weekend. I did however get some decent white smoke with only a couple table spoons of the stuff though!

      Fyi, the stock hose clamp over the vac hose is not adjustable as shown in your pic (i just buy some of those though! lol), but i was able to grasp it with the pliers and wiggle the hose off the male end without having to break off the clamp. Afterwords, i just pushed the hose and clamp back over the TB male end.

      Thanks OP for this write up and pics!

    8. Member denimboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2009
      Location
      Montreal, Canada
      Posts
      648
      Vehicles
      2003 1.8T Jetta Wolsfburg
      08-05-2010 10:19 PM #8
      I'm totally newb to seafoam treatment. Going to get some tomorrow. I read the instructions on their site but can't figure it 100%.

      Once you've put the above portion of seafoam in the systems, then drive 30min, then what? do you change your oil or leave it their?

      I'm going to do oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs.

      Should I do seafoam before everything else?

    9. 08-05-2010 10:52 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by denimboy View Post
      I'm totally newb to seafoam treatment. Going to get some tomorrow. I read the instructions on their site but can't figure it 100%.

      Once you've put the above portion of seafoam in the systems, then drive 30min, then what? do you change your oil or leave it their?

      I'm going to do oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs.

      Should I do seafoam before everything else?
      Yeah im new to this also. But from what ive researched, some people either apply the SF via vac hose (as mentioned by OP), and get the cool white smoke "instant cleaning action" and be done with it, OR, use the steps i mentioned above for the complete clean out. This covers the top and bottom of the engine system...

    10. Member denimboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2009
      Location
      Montreal, Canada
      Posts
      648
      Vehicles
      2003 1.8T Jetta Wolsfburg
      08-06-2010 06:23 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by That_Crayon_Smell View Post
      Yeah im new to this also. But from what ive researched, some people either apply the SF via vac hose (as mentioned by OP), and get the cool white smoke "instant cleaning action" and be done with it, OR, use the steps i mentioned above for the complete clean out. This covers the top and bottom of the engine system...
      I understand but the SF in your oil, do you leave it in or change right after?

    11. Former Advertiser
      Join Date
      Apr 25th, 2007
      Location
      Somewhere Within
      Posts
      1,909
      08-06-2010 07:22 AM #11
      If anything that would be coming from your Kombi valve that is located in the same area.

      Quote Originally Posted by jeffcoan View Post
      I just seafoamed mine yesterday. I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the area around my DV. I have an aftermarket DV but I have a stock TIP and everything...
      My neighbors looked outside and they had thought that the smoke was fog and they where trying to figure out why it was foggy out when it was the middle of the day and 60 degrees out lol.

    12. 08-06-2010 08:56 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by denimboy View Post
      I understand but the SF in your oil, do you leave it in or change right after?
      You'd leave the SF in the oil and drive around for 30min or so. Enough to get the oil hot and working the SF in and around the engine components.
      THEN, proceed with your oil change.

      That being said, SF have an "After Service Additive" method, where they say to add it to your oil AFTER your oil change. This is good too, but you have to monitor your oil regularly for colour change etc... Apparently the oil gets dirtier, quicker. Then change the oil after 5,000 km's (SF say 3000 miles max...which is like 4828 kms, lol)

    13. Member denimboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2009
      Location
      Montreal, Canada
      Posts
      648
      Vehicles
      2003 1.8T Jetta Wolsfburg
      08-06-2010 09:48 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by That_Crayon_Smell View Post
      You'd leave the SF in the oil and drive around for 30min or so. Enough to get the oil hot and working the SF in and around the engine components.
      THEN, proceed with your oil change.

      That being said, SF have an "After Service Additive" method, where they say to add it to your oil AFTER your oil change. This is good too, but you have to monitor your oil regularly for colour change etc... Apparently the oil gets dirtier, quicker. Then change the oil after 5,000 km's (SF say 3000 miles max...which is like 4828 kms, lol)
      Thanks. One more thing, when you say ''1/3 down the oil hole in the in the crank case'' you mean the oil hole on the head or there's somewhere we can pour directly in the crankcase?

    14. 08-06-2010 10:31 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by denimboy View Post
      Thanks. One more thing, when you say ''1/3 down the oil hole in the in the crank case'' you mean the oil hole on the head or there's somewhere we can pour directly in the crankcase?
      lol oops, yeah i just meant removing the oil cap and pouring the 1/3 down where you'd normally pour your oil down the hole at the top of the engine. Valve cover?

    15. Member denimboy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2009
      Location
      Montreal, Canada
      Posts
      648
      Vehicles
      2003 1.8T Jetta Wolsfburg
      08-06-2010 12:32 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by That_Crayon_Smell View Post
      lol oops, yeah i just meant removing the oil cap and pouring the 1/3 down where you'd normally pour your oil down the hole at the top of the engine. Valve cover?
      lol, yeah

    16. Member marcohh8's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2010
      Posts
      274
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8t
      08-24-2010 03:51 PM #16
      doing it this afternoon. thanks for a clear write up and the "dumb guy" pic im in the same boat of intelligence.
      _Speed has never killed anyone......its suddenly becoming stationary...That's what gets you."
      _If I pull this handbrake lever all my girlfriends clothes will come off!!!
      Clarkson

    17. 08-24-2010 05:09 PM #17
      Seafoam says you do not need to change your oil after putting it in. If you are worried about it go ahead and do the oil change, but I've never changed it after adding the recommended amount and never had an issue.

      http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html

    18. 08-24-2010 05:13 PM #18
      I've never trusted running this stuff myself. Just paranoid I guess.
      MK4 Junker : PAG 50trim Kit : AEB : RMR : Eurodyne
      P.P.T. - Pag Parts Turbo
      B6 A4 : Slow

    19. Member marcohh8's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2010
      Posts
      274
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8t
      08-24-2010 07:16 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by screwball View Post
      I've never trusted running this stuff myself. Just paranoid I guess.
      did it about an hour ago. this DIY is good and it seems to have worked great. i put about 1/3 in the vacuum hose and 1/3 in the fuel. im impressed and the smoke was biblical!!!!
      _Speed has never killed anyone......its suddenly becoming stationary...That's what gets you."
      _If I pull this handbrake lever all my girlfriends clothes will come off!!!
      Clarkson

    20. Member woteg's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 7th, 2009
      Location
      nubraska
      Posts
      778
      Vehicles
      06 a3; 05 gli; 93 fox
      08-24-2010 11:54 PM #20
      heard it eats up rings/lifters in your head, dunno if it does or not but kept me away from doing it
      i just run it thru the vac line, use autorx for oil and fuel injector cleaner for gas....

      used this diy
      http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ow-To-Sea-Foam
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii5-0
      never let a woman touch your car, it should have never been in the kitchen for her to touch

    21. Member marcohh8's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2010
      Posts
      274
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8t
      08-24-2010 11:58 PM #21
      from everything ive read almost everyone with experience with it says its 100% safe and i think it did help a bit. it was certainly the most entertaining maintainence ive done (with the massive amount of smoke) then i took it up a bicycle infested road and suffocated everyone (worth it regardless of end result)
      _Speed has never killed anyone......its suddenly becoming stationary...That's what gets you."
      _If I pull this handbrake lever all my girlfriends clothes will come off!!!
      Clarkson

    22. Member marcohh8's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2010
      Posts
      274
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8t
      08-25-2010 12:00 AM #22
      i definately had some smoke from behing the engine not sure what is leaking but future project maybe?
      _Speed has never killed anyone......its suddenly becoming stationary...That's what gets you."
      _If I pull this handbrake lever all my girlfriends clothes will come off!!!
      Clarkson

    23. Member jeffcoan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 24th, 2009
      Location
      Spokane, WA
      Posts
      593
      Vehicles
      2001 1.8T AWD Jetta
      08-25-2010 01:22 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by DonR@Unitronic.ca View Post
      If anything that would be coming from your Kombi valve that is located in the same area.
      Your totally right. I pressure tested my intake a month or so ago and my kombi valve (puck looking thing right?) can hardly hold any pressure and leaks around the back edge.

    24. Member marcohh8's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 12th, 2010
      Posts
      274
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8t
      08-25-2010 01:12 PM #24
      another link incase you want to see all three application of seafoam http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=312477
      _Speed has never killed anyone......its suddenly becoming stationary...That's what gets you."
      _If I pull this handbrake lever all my girlfriends clothes will come off!!!
      Clarkson

    25. Member 1.8tguy94's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2012
      Location
      Alberta, Canada
      Posts
      506
      Vehicles
      2005 Jetta TDi BEW
      05-23-2012 06:26 PM #25
      I also had a bit of smoke behind the engine...maybe its normal?

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •