Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY - Exhaust Leak Test (Seafoam) - Find Exhaust Leaks

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta TDi BEW
      07-30-2012 10:43 PM #36
      I totally agree with you! Im starting to think that as well! Everyone seems to get that small amount of smoke there.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      07-30-2012 11:10 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8tguy94 View Post
      I totally agree with you! Im starting to think that as well! Everyone seems to get that small amount of smoke there.
      I disagree. Any smoke means a leak.

Put a rag loosely in the tail pipe to increase exhaust pressure and you'll see where the leak is even more clearly
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta TDi BEW
      07-31-2012 12:03 AM #38
      I did do that, there wasn't really any precise area...im thinking theres a greater valve or something that lets exhaust air or something out (I could totally be wrong though). My mechanic wasn't concerned about it really and thought that it might be normal as well.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      07-31-2012 11:32 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.8tguy94 View Post
      I did do that, there wasn't really any precise area...im thinking theres a greater valve or something that lets exhaust air or something out (I could totally be wrong though). My mechanic wasn't concerned about it really and thought that it might be normal as well.
      It's not normal. Think about where the smoke can possibly come from. You shouldn't have any.

However, he's right... A LITTLE won't kill you. I bet your flex pipe is leaking.a little bit.
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta TDi BEW
      07-31-2012 11:57 AM #40
      yeah its hardly any at all, it could be that, I guess I didn't pay attention to that. I bet it was

6. 08-02-2012 10:56 PM #41
      Mine was leaking from the gasket that the turbo and the manifold mounts together. I used a mirror while using seafoam to search for the smoke leak and found it. I was going to replace the gasket and then found out that it turns out that one of the three bolts where loose and i tightened it and fixed the leak. also gained 3-4 lbs of boost. you have to remove boost hose and heat shield to access the third bolt.

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta TDi BEW
      08-02-2012 10:59 PM #42
      hmm, Ill have to see if its loose!

8. 08-27-2012 03:28 PM #43
      FYI on the bottle. If you sea foam in the crankcase aka put in your oil, it's recommended you change the oil AFTER due to removing impurities. Don't change your oil then add sea foam. This is wrong an allows the impurities to remain in the engine

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      08-27-2012 03:41 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by 1FlyGuyInaGLi View Post
      FYI on the bottle. If you sea foam in the crankcase aka put in your oil, it's recommended you change the oil AFTER due to removing impurities. Don't change your oil then add sea foam. This is wrong an allows the impurities to remain in the engine
      This is true. But this use of seafoam is NOT AT ALL the point of this thread.

The use of seafoam in this thread is to find exhaust leaks.

OTHER USES OF SEAFOAM INCLUDE:
      * Fuel Treatment
      * Oil Treatment
      My Build

10. 09-05-2012 07:47 PM #45
      I treated my car this evening and noticed about the same amount of smoke coming from behind the engine as from the muffler. I thought that was strange so I searched and found this thread. Looks like I may need to take the car to my mechanic. I used a mirror to try to find where it was coming from and couldn't, so I'll leave it to the expert I guess. I have been having strange issues with my car so a leak may be the problem.
      MKV R32 monster mats and MKV Beauty bezels for sale. pm me.

2004 Jetta GLI: 2011-current, 2008 R32 - 2007-2011, 2004 Acura RSX: 2004-2007, 1989 Toyota Celica: 1998-2002

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      09-05-2012 07:53 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockin3.2 View Post
      I treated my car this evening and noticed about the same amount of smoke coming from behind the engine as from the muffler. I thought that was strange so I searched and found this thread. Looks like I may need to take the car to my mechanic. I used a mirror to try to find where it was coming from and couldn't, so I'll leave it to the expert I guess. I have been having strange issues with my car so a leak may be the problem.
      Have a friend hold a rag lightly in the tail pipe to create some exhaust backpressure...

then do the mirror/ flashlight diagnosis of where the leak is coming from.

Doesn't take a mechanic to see where the smoke is coming from.
      My Build

12. 10-12-2012 10:28 PM #47
      Subscribed for mah dukes' 5-speed, turbo Beetle.

Vehicles
      03' Unitronic GTI
      05-09-2014 01:24 AM #48
      necroing this post...

is the IM the only part were seafoam goes?
      I have seen people do this thru the booster.. Guessing that runs thru a vast part of the vacumm lines.....
      03 Stage II Unitronic -- cai K&N -- 3"EUROturboback -- Billsteins Coil overs --FRONT: 1"Adapter to 17x8.5 /REAR 1.5" to 18x9.5 Corvette C5's -- Tire Falkenz 225/40 all around & more to come

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-09-2014 02:25 AM #49
      Yup

Just the IM
      My Build

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12