Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: .:Ninjapants Master Project Thread – The life of a GLI:.

Vehicles
      R32, Jetta coupe
      03-30-2010 10:03 PM #106
      cant wait til you move down south more. ill be hitting you and john up for drinking festivities.

oh and i like the glasses holder how much did that run you?

Vehicles
      2 Door bugatti coupe...er, i mean Golf Racecar
      03-30-2010 11:15 PM #107
      Quote, originally posted by ninjapants »
      yea thanks for the bump but ummmm.... are you high?

what kinda question is that

You Aint About That Life | ETYolo

Ruined Blue Golf | 42 Draft Designs

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      03-31-2010 10:00 AM #108
      Quote, originally posted by motoo344 »
      I just missed you, I was in DC on Saturday to see some sites and be nerdy. I spent a few hours in the Holocaust Museum. Blows my mind how rude people were being in that place, of all places to be an ass.

Yea there's def. a few things i want to see before I leave. I know I'll be hitting up the Smithsonian, the Aquarium, the Arboretum, and a few other museums. The Holocaust Museum is on the list

Quote, originally posted by am1899 »

This is not a good pic to prove you're in DC. Nothing in the picture proves that this is a recent picture, or that you were present during the taking of it.

Therefore, I reject your lies and contend that you are home, wasting precious polishing time.

I see your penny and raise you a dollar. That is my leg, those are cherry blossoms that are blooming perfectly for the national cherry blossom festival, and if you check the photo info you will see it was taken yesterday around 11am.

Quote, originally posted by JettaGetUpandGo »

Tribute to Clinton?

myself

Quote, originally posted by YLW_DUB »
      cant wait til you move down south more. ill be hitting you and john up for drinking festivities.

oh and i like the glasses holder how much did that run you?

Yea I'm here for another week so if you're free hit me up. You have Pms. I called Pelton yesterday but he was busy at work being an upstanding citizen.

here's the link for the sunglasses holder. It was like $60 w/ shipping. http://www.ecstuning.com/Searc...92714/

Quote, originally posted by Dutchmastr9 »

what kinda question is that

a good one

Floss Filthy x Team Big Shark x Dirty $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Bork
      you're such an og nooob <3
      Buy My Winter Setup! | Master Project Thread: The Life of a GLI | Need polishing? PM me for info.

03-31-2010 12:49 PM #109

here's the link for the sunglasses holder. It was like $60 w/ shipping. http://www.ecstuning.com/Searc...92714/
      a good one

Holy SHEEET $60 for that plastic sunglass holder? ECS is really nuts sometimes. I got a gray one a long time ago on the classifieds for $15 and just painted it black.

All in all it's a nice little addition. My only beef with it is that it doens't fit my Oakleys well; much like how you had your pictured. Would have been nice to have it fully enclosed. At any rate, for progress.

Vehicles
      20AE
      03-31-2010 03:56 PM #110
      Dude you couldda bought a flamin a$$ 8th for $60 bucks that would be better than a sunglass holder lol

and it dont even fit your oakleys lol

03-31-2010 04:05 PM #111
      Quote, originally posted by Soze.K »
      Dude you couldda bought a flamin a$$ 8th for $60 bucks that would be better than a sunglass holder lol

and it dont even fit your oakleys lol

wtf is a flamin a$$ 8th? and i wasn't the one that paid $60 for a sunglass holder

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      03-31-2010 04:14 PM #112
      no i paid $60 for it. shipped. and why? because it's OEM. Talking with John at ECS he says these things are gone as soon as they get them in. And in 2 years when they can't be found and everyone is looking for another OEM+ part that's hard to find... guess who has one? It will hold it's value and either way, I wanted one. I never use that oh **** bar and I've probably spent more on sunglasses then this part cost simply from having them roll around my door pockets and get smashed by something, so in my perspective, it was worth it. I thought about painting one but i was really looking for the OEM finish and when I saw these I knew I wanted one. I'm glad a damn sunglasses holder though can cause such a commotion

Buy My Winter Setup! | Master Project Thread: The Life of a GLI | Need polishing? PM me for info.

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI, 2011 Xterra Pro-4X
      03-31-2010 05:19 PM #113
      myself

I'm doing work. (Build Thread) | VCDS Scans / Tweaks in the Waukesha / Milwaukee area for $5 or a 12-pk of Mountain Dew

Vehicles
      2k3 IY 20th/ RIP 2K3 Jetta 1.8T
      03-31-2010 10:31 PM #114
      Subscribed...

Rims should turn out solid dude, Do work son!!!

Totally digging the sunglasses holder, I may need to add that to the OEM+ Parts list I got going

-Matt

Vehicles
      1980 turboed moped
      04-01-2010 10:06 PM #115
      Polish polish

Vehicles
      04-01-2010 10:17 PM #116
      Quote, originally posted by BIG DUB »
      Polish polish

What do the Polish have to do with this thread? There is no need to bring them into this.

I'm doing work. (Build Thread) | VCDS Scans / Tweaks in the Waukesha / Milwaukee area for $5 or a 12-pk of Mountain Dew

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      04-02-2010 09:03 AM #117

No more polishing until i get home on Wednesday. I'll have some more photos of progress up Wednesday night as I've gotten one side of all the spokes down and will probably finish the other side Wednesday night as I'm anxious to get back to work and get these things finished.

Quote, originally posted by HxC_KID »
      Subscribed...

Rims should turn out solid dude, Do work son!!!

Totally digging the sunglasses holder, I may need to add that to the OEM+ Parts list I got going

-Matt

Thank you I can't wait to be done and see her sitting how I've always imagined.

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      04-02-2010 08:59 PM #118
      Quote, originally posted by YLW_DUB »

really? cause from what Pelton told me you and Chris got your panties all wadded up and couldn't sack up and come out tonight.

So for everyone that thinks Ylw_Dub and Banana know how to party.... think again... *******

14. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      91 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet / 92 Porsche 964 C2
      04-03-2010 11:51 AM #119

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      04-07-2010 12:19 PM #120
      Quote, originally posted by Sales@DBCPerformance »

thank you. Should be picking up some of the brake components we discussed in a month or two once work starts back up and the bank account doesn't look so desperate

I'm sitting in JFK airport for the next 3 hours on a layover Anxious to get back to work. I should also have a package from Canadia waiting for me hopefully. (Thanks Alex, I owe you a few s) There will be updates tonight. I'll probably be up late polishing . I'd like to finish the spokes and corners between them and get started on the center of the wheels tonight but we'll see where I end up. Also at some point over the next day or so I'm going to go through the hundreds of photos I took in DC and post some in the Photography forum. There will be a link posted when I do.

16. 04-07-2010 05:23 PM #121
      Cool. Looking forward to seeing progress.

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 TQM (mine), 2008 Mazda CX-7 (Hers), 1992 Kawasaki Ninja 600R (Toy)
      04-08-2010 08:32 PM #122
      im impressed with polishing the RC's ive been debating the same thing ill wait and see how yours come out before i dive in. i wanna see how the final product looks.
      Need repair work in the suburbs Contact: J'S REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE
      Plainfield, IL VAG-COM EQUIPPED 815-556-0027 http://www.jrpshop.com/

Need detailing or United Motorsport Flashing in the Chicago area Contact: Luis (nkgneto)
      http://www.AutomobileDaySpa.com https://www.facebook.com/AutomobileDaySpa

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      04-10-2010 02:02 AM #123
      my hands are killing me but seeing progress it helping. No picture as the progress is slow. Just polishing away. and I spent some time doing work on the bug. The knowledge that I have 3 wheels to do after this one to is killing me.

19. 04-10-2010 09:01 AM #124
      The knowledge that I have 3 wheels to do after this one to is killing me.
      I figured that would be a mind over matter thing. Maybe hire some 12 year old neighbor kid to do some of that, then you clean up the details? Just a thought, good luck.

Vehicles
      04-10-2010 10:14 AM #125
      ...or just do one more. No one can see both sides of the car at the same time.

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      04-10-2010 10:22 AM #126
      hahaha to both of you. The problem is I'm super anal and I like knowing I get every pit and blemish out, especially on the face where it shows. I wouldn't trust most people to do it properly to my standards. It's definitely a mind of matter things and I'm not even in to the thick of it. I have change the pattern up though and am doing some of the spokes as I get the corners and stuff. I might post progress later today. I think once this first layer is done progress will be faster, it's just this initial stage that is the toughest and for future stages the progress gets easier from the easy between grits as opposed to raw metal to a smooth surface for the first grit. The winter wheels will definitely be staying on for longer this year. Luckily the car doesn't go very far and considering we just got snow last night I think the wheels will be fine. I just see each of these taking me 2 solid weeks of work or more.

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      04-11-2010 10:58 PM #127
      still no pics, just more polishing. maybe i'll take a pic and post it later. moved away from the spoke to hit the center of the wheel and take care of the text. The small working area means it takes forever.

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      04-12-2010 12:38 AM #128
      So I took some pics so you can see the progress. It doesn't look like much but one side of all the spokes are done, as I go and do the other side I'm grabbing the grooves where they meet near the center.

I also am grabbing some of the barrel where it meets the spokes. You can see I need to hit the corners more. (Only have that one section done, the other ones were only hit with a dremel wire wheel)

I've also jumped in to the center and cleaned up the bowl and the center. The words in the base are what's left. This part sucks getting my big hands down in there and try and sand away the letters. I run Kounter Kaps so I run the wheels open lug and the letters show. To clean up the look of the wheel and for that extra touch I'm getting rid of the text.

Here's what it looks like normally (note same wheel so it's stripped of paint):

Here's how it's going getting rid of the text:

And here's one of overall progress.

I keep jumping areas to keep my hand from cramping while doing a single repetitive motion. This **** is just so time consuming. It's starting to look better though, I can slowly see the progress. The knowledge of how sick they will be when done is what's keeping me going.

Modified by ninjapants at 9:49 PM 4-11-2010

Vehicles
      337, '67 Square
      04-12-2010 12:48 AM #129
      can.
      not.
      wait.

I am not jealous of the pain your hands must be experiencing

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Palko
      This bitch is Waste Management cuz I piss in her mouth

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      04-12-2010 12:51 AM #130
      haha i can't wait either dude, like between the refinished wheels and a drop my car will finally look halfway decent I think. It'll be nice to have the car in good condition.

You're right though, my hands are killing me. Well the right one is, I can't use the left one much as I still have some limited feeling and movement abilities from a serve skating accident a few years ago.

Vehicles
      04-12-2010 01:36 AM #131
      Looks great! What grit are you starting with?

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      04-12-2010 01:52 AM #132
      60. I was at 100 but it just takes too long. I used 100 wherever I used the DA so as to not gouge too deep but by hand I'm using 60 to get the pits out and it's still a pain. After this though I'll go 150, 220, 440, 600, wd40 wetsand 1500.

Modified by ninjapants at 10:56 PM 4-11-2010

28. Former Advertiser kevin@euroimagetuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      mk4 jetta
      04-12-2010 02:44 AM #133
      glad youre going throught with the text shaving

29. Member
      04-12-2010 02:53 AM #134
      i feel bad for you poor hands and fingers.

fyi you wont have fingerprints, good time to rob a bank

Vehicles
      337, '67 Square
      04-12-2010 03:10 AM #135
      haha i can't wait either dude, like between the refinished wheels and a drop my car will finally look halfway decent I think. It'll be nice to have the car in good condition.

You're right though, my hands are killing me. Well the right one is, I can't use the left one much as I still have some limited feeling and movement abilities from a serve skating accident a few years ago.

yikes what happened?!
      I've got a fractured 8th vertebrae, my arm/shoulder/neck hurt every day. Makes me bitter for sure to permanent injuries

As far as the GLI goes, your attention to detail is going to pay off big...I have a feeling you're gonna be starting trends!

31. Member
      04-12-2010 10:04 AM #136
      Should look good when done...it better for all the work.

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      04-12-2010 10:07 AM #137
      Quote, originally posted by kevin@euroimagetuning »
      glad youre going throught with the text shaving

Hahah yea, thanks for the help with that one I think it'll be that extra touch to set them apart and make it much cleaner to run without the standard caps.

Quote, originally posted by 01 »
      i feel bad for you poor hands and fingers.

fyi you wont have fingerprints, good time to rob a bank

haha yea dude even with gloves my fingers shred

Quote, originally posted by acetate909 »

yikes what happened?!
      I've got a fractured 8th vertebrae, my arm/shoulder/neck hurt every day. Makes me bitter for sure to permanent injuries

In October of 05 I was skating (board) back from class on fresh pavement doing probably 20+ and wasn't paying attention. Well there was so gravel that had been kicked up on to the road and I hit it. Went straight over knowing to keep my arms in so to not break my arm but I hit so hard on the outside of my wrist the bones exploded. I cracked the ulna, split lengthwise for 2 inches down the radius, and the head of the radius was in about 12 pieces. It required surgery and a pin, along with a permanent titanium plates and 5 screws. The Dr. says I'm lucky my movement is as good as it is. I can do 90% of what I used to but I still have slight numbness in my finger tips sometimes, that hand gets really sore in the cold, and some movements are hard. Like I can't do pushups, and like little repetitive movements don't work as well so like for polishing it's just not much help to use my left hand. Ohh well I'm used to it now lol.

As far as the GLI goes, your attention to detail is going to pay off big...I have a feeling you're gonna be starting trends!

I hope so dude. It's really hard to build something quality on a budget. My theme has always been smoked and OEM+. I'm keeping it on those lines smoked, polished, and OEM+. With some things in the bay getting polished, the chrome trim, the brushed aluminum, and now the wheels I think it will tie together that part of the theme. I've got the smoked and OEM goodies so we'll see how the final picture comes out in a few months.

The details are where I'm trying to finish it off. I know it can look good but it's hard to set yourself apart with a budget. I really love the GLI though and it's stock goodies and wheels from the factory so I'm hoping this can be a shining example of OEM+ for this car. I'd love to start trends but I won't go that far lol but thanks for the kind words. I'm just hoping to have the car back in show condition and even better than it was before. I just want to be proud driving it around again instead of thinking of all the defects on it.

Quote, originally posted by motoo344 »
      Should look good when done...it better for all the work.

Haha tell me about it. The hours polishing just add right up.

Modified by ninjapants at 7:08 AM 4-12-2010

Vehicles
      337, '67 Square
      04-14-2010 01:54 AM #138

In October of 05 I was skating (board) back from class on fresh pavement doing probably 20+ and wasn't paying attention. Well there was so gravel that had been kicked up on to the road and I hit it. Went straight over knowing to keep my arms in so to not break my arm but I hit so hard on the outside of my wrist the bones exploded. I cracked the ulna, split lengthwise for 2 inches down the radius, and the head of the radius was in about 12 pieces. It required surgery and a pin, along with a permanent titanium plates and 5 screws. The Dr. says I'm lucky my movement is as good as it is. I can do 90% of what I used to but I still have slight numbness in my finger tips sometimes, that hand gets really sore in the cold, and some movements are hard. Like I can't do pushups, and like little repetitive movements don't work as well so like for polishing it's just not much help to use my left hand. Ohh well I'm used to it now lol.

jesus!

Vehicles
      337, '67 Square
      04-14-2010 01:58 AM #139

I'm just hoping to have the car back in show condition and even better than it was before. I just want to be proud driving it around again instead of thinking of all the defects on it.

couldn't agree more

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      04-14-2010 09:24 AM #140

jesus!

haha yea i know, i lot a semester of college because of that. Ohh well though, I wear my scar with pride.

couldn't agree more

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast