Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Strut Clunk - Yes, I searched

Vehicles
      91 Jetta GLI
      03-22-2010 01:46 PM #1
      Replaced the front strut mounts on my MK2 yesterday because they were clunking while turning at a stop or low speed. Discovered they were installed incorrectly the first time. The hole for the strut in the upper spring perch was wallowed out from the strut moving around so I added a large washer at the top of the strut and greased it nicely just in case. Then I added the strut mount/bearing assembly and tightened it all down with the slotted nut. Put everything back in the car thinking all was fixed, only to discover it still clunks.

I read some archived posts about things being loose but I tightened it all pretty well. Also, if something is loose then why would I hear the spring trying to turn in the strut assembly and clunking? Isn't the bearing there to let things turn freely?

Is there supposed to be a spacer of some sort on the strut shaft? I looked at the Bentley diagram and it says nothing about a spacer.

What non-replaceable parts should be at the top of the strut?

Thanks for your help!

Modified by fstgrmn at 12:12 PM 3-24-2010

Vehicles
      91 Jetta GLI
      03-24-2010 01:14 PM #2
      Any advice on loosening/tightening the lower nut/sleeve? Any suggestions?

3. 09-07-2010 05:02 PM #3
      If you have rebuildable front struts sure twist away but if you are sealed your wasting your time..... you sure its your strut... and not a ball joint????

Vehicles
      98' GTI VR6-T 98' GTI VR6
      09-08-2010 08:35 AM #4
      You know the torque for that nut is like 44 ft-lbs and if you over torque it it will damage the bearing making a terrible noise.
      98' GTI VR6-T | Stock Block and head, ARP Hardware, C2 Stg.2 Software, 9:1 Comp., 22 psi high boost, (NEW)Precision HP6765, Schimmel Performance SR, ATP Mani., TIAL WG, 3" SS Turbo Back exhaust and DP, Custom IC Piping, Greddy 3" IC and Type S BOV, MSD Coils, NGK BKR7E-11 (Gap .035), BFI stg.2 mounts, Preloquin LSD, Dual Stg. BC, LM-2 Wideband, FK Coils, Upgraded Suspension

5. Member
      Vehicles
      N/A
      09-12-2010 04:44 AM #5
      You can change all the strut mount parts you like, but if the struts are worn out, you are still going to clunk.

How old (miles and years) are your struts and shocks?

Have you have replace the lower control arm bushings?

6. 09-12-2010 09:18 PM #6
      Is this clunk when you turn all the way? I have that, too, and hadn't considered the strut a likely candidate.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW Golf Tdi 2006
      09-15-2010 11:37 PM #7
      Any chance that it could be the lower rear control arm or sway bar bushing having too much play? I have seen both happen.