Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Project Jetta

Vehicles
      '84 GTI, aba/jh combo with TT goodies
      11-02-2011 03:57 PM #176
      Well, the postal service has the 'new' throttle body and ISV. Mr. Brown, who was parting out a Rocco did me a huge favor by getting the parts off quick. I mean I think the parts were in the mail within 10 minutes of sending him the PayPal. Very cool!
      USPS: 9405 5036 9930 0269 1371 40
      Quote Originally Posted by vento86 View Post
      and get rid of those boss amps.. trust my 7+ years of installing that stuff. it will fail on you reallly quick. if you want cheap and reliable get orion cobalt
      Thanks for the heads-up! I picked the Boss amp up for cheap. Not worth the postage to send it back cheap. I'll run it as long as it'll run, then I'll look into Orion when it fails.
      1984 Mk1 GTI ~ Originally bought in 2008, then sold in 2010, and bought back in 2013
      1980 Mk1 Scirocco ~ Project w/ my son
      1982 Mk1 Jetta ~ Killed by texting driver

Vehicles
      11-08-2011 09:45 AM #177
      Well, the goal was to get the Jetta back last week. I even shipped parts to RS to make sure they had everything, but alas, we're still waiting on the exhaust.

They tell me that they ordered it, but man.... Ugh. I won't be holding my breath, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
      1984 Mk1 GTI ~ Originally bought in 2008, then sold in 2010, and bought back in 2013

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      11-08-2011 10:18 AM #178
      What did you decide on the body kit/arches? The last rendering you did with the full black quarter panel looks like your trying to hide something. What about a Starski and Hutch or Corvette Gran Sport set up? I personally like the mid door/front fender forward facing stripe.
      Support Those Who Support Us...
      www.oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      11-09-2011 09:24 AM #179
      Quote Originally Posted by standard125r View Post
      What did you decide on the body kit/arches? The last rendering you did with the full black quarter panel looks like your trying to hide something. What about a Starski and Hutch or Corvette Gran Sport set up? I personally like the mid door/front fender forward facing stripe.
      I donno about the S&H stripe. A little too... If I were to go that direction, there is that 'Gulf' stripe setup.

I've seen the 'Gran Sport' stripes appearing more and more on cars around, and I do like the forward-facing stripes.

As for the car, I want a stripe setup that will work with flares. Not sure if I'm going to modify the style kit that the Cabby has (to fit a 4dr) or going to run BergCup stuff. But one of my main things is to keep the classic lines, so no molded bumpers, no clipper-kits, things with the more 'modern' look to them.

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      11-09-2011 10:04 AM #180
      My Coupe has developed a real muscle car look even though the proportions aren't perfect. I like that clean raked fat tire look. I do however have a Berg Cup kit, but I've always been of the opinion that you have to be able to back up the look. For instance I like to shave my beard like James Hetfield, however I can't come close to backing up that look so I don't do it. I'm not sure there is a way to meld a Berg Cup Kit, a stereo, and a motor running anything but throttle bodies, they do not exist in the same universe. Needless to say my Berg Cup Kit sits on a shelf in my friend shop awaiting the car that it will complete. I look forwad to seeing how you solve this delima, you have already tackled some pretty heady challenges with the wiring and fabrication.

-Andy
      www.oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      11-10-2011 09:54 AM #181
      YOU HAVE A BERG CUP KIT?!?!?! Holy Moly ~ GIVE IT TO ME!!!

To me the BergCup kit shouldn't be hard to back up ~ as far as fulfilling the 'look'. To me, it says: 'AutoCross' and 'Cornering' ~ more than 'I'm fast in a straight line'.

I've already got Bilstein Coilovers from a retired old Race Rabbit. I'm planning a back cage (no X so that the rear seat is functional) that will tie in the rear shock mounts in a 'strut tie bar' fashion. A '87 Rocco rear beam that I plan to 'beef' with a heafty sway bar. All I need is to build a front strut bar, and get a decent sway-bar and I should be able to fill those flares with the 16x8 fifteen52 Snowflakes.

Its already got an 87 GLi's 'close' 020 that I've put a 80% limited slip diff in, and I'm having a .7 overdrive put in at RSM. Eventually, I'll be throwing on a turbo.

You've got to admit, even with the heavy interior work (dynamat, stock sound deadening, full seats and dash, and the stereo stuff going in it) it should act the part. Sure I realize that tossing the interior would greatly help its weight ~ making it quicker and faster and corner better. However, I'm not ready to build a race-car, I need something I can drive around town, carry kids, drive to work and back and go on dates with my wife with ~ and be relatively comfortable.

Am I asking to much?

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      11-10-2011 10:20 AM #182
      Quote Originally Posted by Damian Grihalva View Post
      Am I asking to much?
      Yes, probably. My kids love to ride in my cars, they love it when I drag something new home, but my son is 8 and my daughter is 11 now, and they just like the MKIII.

I presently have a gutted Rabbit as well that I thought the Cup Kit would work well with. It has a TechTonics 1.6 motor with a 280 cam. It makes the right amount of noise, but something is still missing. I probably won't part with it, my son has told me his favorite car is a Rabbit so I'll need to buy a project for him soon. Maybe he will use the kit.

The friend who has it at his shop was going to lift molds off of it, but he has been sidetracked lately. I may try to give him a little push when I'm home at Thanksgiving.
      www.oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      11-11-2011 09:28 AM #183
      Yes, probably. My kids love to ride in my cars, they love it when I drag something new home, but my son is 8 and my daughter is 11 now, and they just like the MKIII.
      I've got a 13, 12 and 11 year old. I know they like 'newer' cars better, but the more I talk about it, the more they seem to like it. Besides, they see the stack of stereo equipment I have next to my computer:

...and I think that helps them see it as more than dad's piece.

I presently have a gutted Rabbit as well that I thought the Cup Kit would work well with. It has a TechTonics 1.6 motor with a 280 cam. It makes the right amount of noise, but something is still missing. I probably won't part with it, my son has told me his favorite car is a Rabbit so I'll need to buy a project for him soon. Maybe he will use the kit.
      Its probably just me, but I think of the old American motto ~ There's no replacement for displacement. I bet if you put some forced induction on that rabbit it'll wake up a little! But then, I won't be giving it to a kid.

I'm a UPS driver and I know where a 2dr Jetta is that has been sitting for a GOOD long time. Got some front end damage but nothing too terrible (needs a new blinker and marker light). I was just talking to the wife about picking it up for a 'kids' project. She said I have to get rid of all the Scouts in my driveway first!

The friend who has it at his shop was going to lift molds off of it, but he has been sidetracked lately. I may try to give him a little push when I'm home at Thanksgiving.
      I'd be interested, but there's a guy in Europe that's sells the kit for $338 USD + $75 shipping ~ so it'll be hard to beat that. However, I'm always up for 'made in USA' stuff.
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 11-11-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Vehicles
      11-11-2011 09:32 AM #184
      OKAY!~
      So Victor, a Russian guy down the street, came up to me yesterday. As background, he does allot of work on cars around his house. I mean ALLOT. Buys wrecks and rebuilds them for his kids and such. Well, a few months ago we had a heavy rain, and his kids drove through large puddle and seized the motor in their Honda. Long story short, I let him borrow my engine picker now he's offering to get the Jetta running....FOR FREE.

Man, I've had it at RSM for almost 2 months and they haven't touched it. Meaning, last weekend I drove up to see it, and its still in the same place it was when I tow'd it to them. I popped the hood and they have looked that the fuel distributor ~ but that's it. Now I have Victor telling me (in best Russian accent) "hey, bring it over ~ I fix it for you ~ FOR FREE!" and its all I can do not to borrow a buddies trailer and go get it.

Thoughts?

Vehicles
      '50 Dodge PilotHouse, '52 DKW 125W, '76 Rabbit Ocean Bleu X2,EA Cabriolet,'77 & '80 Scirocco,'01 JSW
      11-11-2011 10:25 AM #185
      Only Russians with mustaches are trustworthy. No mustache=don't trust.

Vehicles
      11-11-2011 10:31 AM #186
      Quote Originally Posted by saddest6day66 View Post
      Only Russians with mustaches are trustworthy. No mustache=don't trust.
      What if he has permanent 24-hour shadow?

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      11-11-2011 10:35 AM #187
      Just my thoughts...

At this point you have waited for a shop to do the work, and they have not made time to do it. I don't see why you wouldn't at least bring it home. Why didn't you just wire it up? I may have missed that in your write up, but it really isn't as hard as you might think.

I bought a Rabbit once that I had to nearly completely rewire due to the three generations of cars being used and two fuel management systems being linked together.

Just from your build thread so far I think you could do it, if it's not a time constraint thing. In the amount of time it's been at the shop, if you had done two connectors a day you'd be driving it now.

The trick is not to look at it as wiring the car, but to only wire one thing at a time. I would set a goal for the next day then do it not more than 20minutes at a time. I could stay longer but I only had to accomplish that one task.

As far as having "Victor" do it, you have to look at the work he does and figure out if it's at the level you need it to be at. "Friend Jobs" don't usually end up being the quality of doing it yourself or paying it done.
      www.oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      11-12-2011 05:43 PM #188
      At this point you have waited for a shop to do the work, and they have not made time to do it. I don't see why you wouldn't at least bring it home. Why didn't you just wire it up? I may have missed that in your write up, but it really isn't as hard as you might think.
      There are a few things that has kept me from finishing this part on my own.
      1) UPS has kept me hoppin' ~ I work long hours with UPS and it seems that when the sun stayed out till 8 or later, so did I. It totally sucked coming home completely exhausted and seeing that the Jetta was just waiting there.
      2) I've had several projects from D&C (my old job) sitting in my garage that I've been needing to do. I feel 'guilty' for working on my own stuff when I have other things that people have been 'waiting' on me. In reality, the jobs I have left from D&C have been waiting on others to do their part, so, more-or-less I can't do my part till that is done ~ but still, I see them.
      3) Comfort and ability on the CIS system. I can wire, I can build. But I'm seriously not comfortable with doing the injection system on my own. And most of the guys around here that can help, don't 'have time'. I've tried paying one, who totally screwed me out of over $600. I tried paying another, who found the 10 minute drive too long and out of his way (yes he was young). Another had allot of family stuff and a newborn. And the one guy I'd prefer was deployed and when he came home ~ I didn't want to bug him. I mean, give the guy a break ~ you know?

I've come to the conclusion that I must be an ! I mean, a guy should be able to find someone ~ anyone ~ that would come by and lend a hand. So, the obvious conclusion is that I'm an .

So, to make a long story short, between UPS and my weekends being tied up with Scouts, and not being able to find some local help ~ I have no time for finishing up the Jetta.

In the amount of time it's been at the shop, if you had done two connectors a day you'd be driving it now.
      Your not kidding.

The trick is not to look at it as wiring the car, but to only wire one thing at a time. I would set a goal for the next day then do it not more than 20minutes at a time. I could stay longer but I only had to accomplish that one task.
      I hear ya. If you look at this build ~ its been on that kind of schedule ~ well, the one thing at a time. I don't know if I set goals per say (writing them down) ~ but I did 'want to get the tail lights wired' then it was 'get the steering column figured out' and so forth.

As far as having "Victor" do it, you have to look at the work he does and figure out if it's at the level you need it to be at. "Friend Jobs" don't usually end up being the quality of doing it yourself or paying it done.
      Vic is a good guy. The work he does is decent, and something I could be happy with. Victor knows my level and being a next-door neighbor I will be 'helping' and giving input on stuff as its done.

So yesterday, instead of listening to my Ipod, I stewed over what to do with the car. Finally I called Techtonics and priced everything that I'd need to get to build the car with what I have RSM doing. Cost: about $700 after I get a few things from the local junkyard (that's an AC delete serp belt system w/ modified crank pulley, the exhaust system, and every radiator hose for the 16v replaced with new.) I'd still need to get a crap-load of bolts, an ABA alternator and bracket WITH auto tensioner, and a hand full of other stuff. Armed with that, I determined to call RSM to see where we were and such.

So, I called RSM and talked to Joel ~ who is the guy who seems to be 'in charge' of my car. I was told by the locals that he was one of the better guys to have doing your car.

Trying not to be offensive, I asked 'where we are on the car?' I explained that bumming rides to and from work was getting more difficult and thought that since they were obviously very busy, I would give the wiring a shot myself.

'how much do I owe you for what you've done so far?'

'as it sits?'

'yes, if I were to come pick it up and give it a go on my own?'

'well, it would just be what we talked about without the exhaust, but I can have it done on Monday, maybe Tuesday'

So the hope is that it'll be done Monday or Tuesday.
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 11-12-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      11-12-2011 07:41 PM #189
      Oh five, ten minutes. LOL! I hope they get it done for you!
      www.oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      1983 vw rabbit
      11-13-2011 02:19 AM #190
      lovin it

Vehicles
      11-21-2011 09:49 AM #191
      Well. Gave a call at the end of last week, as I do at the end of most weeks to see where we are. Looks like the are really working on it now. Joel says its on his 'to do' or should I say 'get done' list. But there were some hiccups.

Regardless, my hope has been renewed when he called me on his day off to give me an update. Actually cranked it for me and it fired up post-haste.

But two things need done. 1) Exhaust tube to connect where the cat used to go (we don't have emissions here in ElPaso County). 2) The o-ring that goes between the oil-cooler and the block was missing, so when he went to start it ~ oil spew everywhere. I know its not funny, but it brought back a mental image of a guy in my 'auto technology' class from HS ~ changed his oil, started car, then realized although he did put the plug in the oil pan, he DIDNT put on the replacement filter! SPLAT!

So they were supposed to get those two things fixed and then call me to pick the car up, but I never heard back over the weekend. I suspect I'll get a call today.

Regardless, at least Joel will have a chance to drive it, and make sure its good to go for the trip back down to the springs. The Diesel 5th is in, the engine is bolted to the trans, and the engine assembly is bolted to the car. He built a fan harness to get everything working and all should be well in the engine bay. I'm hoping that the clean-up work I will be doing will be relatively simple. I plan to organize the wiring (if they haven't done it), loom it, and attach it as cleanly (or out of site) as possible. Then I need to hook up my horns, and finish grounding the front harness.

Trying not to get excited at this point. But I am glad it should be ready to go soon.

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      11-21-2011 12:26 PM #192
      I like that there is progress!
      www.oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      11-22-2011 09:45 AM #193
      Anxious, I called last night when I got off work hoping to have some good news and be able to make the drive up to Arvada to get the Jetta.

Well, when Joel started it up and got it running, he went to go for a test-drive. Engaged the clutch, shifted, and let out the clutch. NOTHING. It didn't take him long to figure out the problem.

Sadly, 'gearhead' has struck again. The guy that ripped me on the engine swap, decided to install a clutch that, well, doesn't work. My car is a 16v motor, with an 8v trans. The input shaft splines/diameter are different. Well, instead of putting the smaller clutch in, he put in the larger one. Which means that the clutch doesn't really attach to the trans. Maybe that's why the motor wasn't fully bolted in ~ cause it had to come back out anyway.

So its official, the guy who I looked at the car, gave me a $500 quote for an engine swap ($650 worst case), totally took me for a ride. Not only did he charge me the full $650, but he didn't bolt the motor to the trans, didn't connect the assembly to the car (meaning the front and rear mounts were left completely unbolted), didn't bolt the CV's to the trans, didn't do the wiring, as he said he would, didn't put in the right clutch (I have him two new units from TT) nor did he tell me that the one he did install was incorrect, and...

Well, I think its safe to assume why he's no longer 'working' on cars. If anyone thinks about getting 'Greg the gearhead' from Colorado to work on their VW ~ let me give, implore, or more or less, raise a voice of caution. Looking back, he's a great guy to have around helping. He knows a ton about VWs and is a nice guy to boot. But you may be better served to pay him with beer and pizza while he HELPS you to work on your car instead of paying him to do it unsupervised.

So today the trans gets dropped and a new clutch goes in. If all works out, I should be able to pick it up tonight.

Yet, after all that ~ I have to say; I'm still excited to get this POJ(unk) back. I miss the ugly little car! To get it back actually running and in a driveable condition will be REALLY nice. Honestly, I can't wait! As for the swap, well, I can hardly be surprised. All builds run into trouble. I should have done it myself. I didn't, and that cost me....about the cost of the whole bloody project to this point!

I really wish I had more time. I look forward to finishing off the jetta with my boys. It'll be fun to finish off the little things that it needs. Then putting in the stereo. Rebuilding the dash panel, then....
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 11-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Vehicles
      11-22-2011 10:01 PM #194
      Well, as you may have guessed. I've been waiting to hear from the guys at RSMotorsport to get the great news that my car was finished and I could come get it. Well, early this afternoon a call came in. The question that met my answer of the phone was: Want the good news or the bad news?

The good news it the clutch was fixed, relatively easy. The car took its first test drive and all seemed well...but one thing. Which leads me to...

The bad news ~ the motor is bad. Really bad. Once the exhaust was done, the car was quiet enough to tell the motor is clacking.

I honestly started laughing. I mean, what could you do? I know the oil pump was pumping, before the seal was fixed and the motor started, the oil got spewed all over. The oil was also changed before attempting starting it.

Then I started thinking, the seal between the cooler that was missing. I wonder how it went missing. Could it be that it blew out with the PO and they drove it without oil, only to scrap the car when the motor started acting 'funny'.

Regardless. As far as the motor is concerned, its toast. I don't know what else to do other than start looking for another 9A or rebuild the one I have.

I'm looking for any RUNNING 9a out there. If you have one, or know of one that I can pick up for relatively inexpensive, I'd appreciate it.

(bummer i sold my spare)
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 11-23-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      11-24-2011 08:42 PM #195
      Dude.

Dude keep struggling. It will all be worth it all that first long drive.
      www.oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      11-24-2011 09:09 PM #196
      Dude.

Dude keep struggling. It will all be worth it all that first long drive.

Current plan. Wife gave okay to get it done, trusting my senses (not sure that's a good idea). Anyway, because of the great amount of difficulty I've had, and not wanting to incur any more miss-haps with unknown motors from unknown distances, I'm going to try and rebuild the motor.

Current plan is to build something that will last for a while and be fun to drive. I'm going to do a stock rebuild on the 9a bottom end, while trying to find a good deal on a decent head w/ cams. The thought is that it would be best for me to simply rebuild it right and be sure everything that is done, I'VE DONE ~ not some other guy I dont know nor trust.

As you guys have seen from the last couple months of planning and day-dreaming, I want to move on from the motor and not have to worry about that part of the car any more. I don't want to limp it around, I don't want question flooring it or floggin' it about if the occasion permits. The rebuild will allow me to do the motor and be done. 'set it and forget it' ~ Then, I can turn my attention on everything else I want to do. The interior, the suspension, the body/paint.

Eventually this car will be turbo'd. But that's at least 4 years away. When its time for that, I'll pull the motor and stick it in the project car I'll be building for my boys.

Vehicles
      11-24-2011 11:03 PM #197
      Well, its official. I've got a 16v head on its way. This head has way less than 10k miles, has Techtonics 258 cams (which is what the TT guy really said would be best for my application), as well as their HD valve springs and retainers. Nothing I couldn't have put in, but one of the best things about this head it has a $1200 port job.

I had a good conversation with the TT guys on Wednesday. They had a similar built motor that pulled 198 HP @ the crank on the dyno (w/ 155 at the wheels). Not expecting that much, but I wouldn't complain if I got it!

Now I need a bottom end. I'll try and get over to UPAP for that motor, but with this season, I'm 100% tied up with work.

Vehicles
      11-24-2011 11:10 PM #198
      IF ANYONE HAS SOME BIG-BORE PISTONS FOR A 9A MOTOR, I'm looking for a set.

The exact size I'd like is 83.5mm pistons. The reason is that I'm planning on tearing my current 'toasty' block down and having it machined. Personally I'm planning to rebuild the stock stuff, but having the .040" overbore will insure any gouges in the cylinder walls are nice and smooth. I've been warned about oil-consumption as well as other problems if the cylinders are too far gone.

AGAIN, IF ANYONE HAS SOME NEW LARGER PISTONS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I REALLY NEED TO GET THIS CAR UP AND RUNNING FOR GOOD!
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 11-24-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Vehicles
      11-27-2011 06:53 PM #199
      Time for a real update. Well, I wasn't able to get my buddy's trailer, so I headed to U-haul yesterday morning and took at trip up to Denver. While at RSMotorsport I completely forgot that I had brought the camera, or I would have snapped a few pictures of the shop and guys. However, I completely forgot and well, hence, have not pictures.

I will say that they came in UNDER what they said it'd cost. By about $100 too. My wife was very pleased. They did everything they said, and even a couple things I didn't expect. For instance, when I called Techtonics Tuning and had them quote the parts needed to do the main things that RS quoted, the total on parts was about $800 w/ shipping. And after getting the parts, I would have had to buy a bunch of stuff from the junkyard to finish things. If that was the case, the guys at RS did the same parts and labor for about $400 more. The big difference was that they also did many things that were not included including installing my diesel 5th gear in the 020 trans, fix the clutch, and so forth.

Despite the time it took, I think it was worth it and would consider taking the VW back if I needed more work done. Joel was nice and was willing to come in on his saturday (twice) and I appreciated that.

By the time I remembered I had my camera, we had stopped at the Dumb Friends League.

The Dumb Friends League is the animal shelter of Denver Colorado. We picked up a 11 month old 'white' German Shepard a few weeks ago, and were seriously considering getting her a play mate.

There were a few good candidates but nothing really jumped out at us so we continued our search down at the DFL's affiliate in CastleRock, the Buddy Center.

Their pickin's were found 'wanting' and we headed down to our local PikesPeak animal shelter (no cool name) where we found a decent black-lab pup. But it was past adoption hours so the dog stayed for a few more days. However, I got the car home and got it unloaded this morning.

[and there was much rejoicing throughout the land]

As is my custom, I had to open her up and take a look around.

One think I really liked to see was a weird shine on the exhaust. You can really tell in these first two pictures...

...but if you look really close, you'll notice that the pipe used has the same 'shine' as the muffler.

The muffler is a Dynamax, which is a Stainless Steel unit, and seeing that the pipe looks awefully close to it. I may have ended up with a Stainless exhaust system! Joel even noted it when I picked the car up. Said he ordered and was charged for an 'aluminized' system ~ but it sure felt and looked like a stainless unit.
      [and there was much rejoicing throughout the land]

Even though I didn't run, while it was on the trailer I headed out to the weekly GTG for Edition719 Auto gruppe ~ Yes, it was on the trailer ~ but at least it made it. While there I Asked a bunch of questions, got some leads and found out a bunch of stuff about what I could do with the bottom end rebuild of the car... In all, it was fun ~ just wish the Jetta was running enough to drive it there. Maybe next time!

So there has been some question weather or not the Jetta's motor is scrap, why and what-not. I cant say why, as the first time I heard it actually running, it sounded like this:
      http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/j...blownmotor.avi
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 11-27-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Vehicles
      11-27-2011 06:56 PM #200
      So obviously the motor is beyond 'deflated' lifters and I've definitely got some plans for it. As mentioned previously, I found a 16v head that already has cams, springs, retainers and a really good port job. As for the bottom end, there are two 9a motors in local junk yards. Both are behind automatics, so the chances of high-revving abuse is unlikely. I have a plan to get one of those, but I'll be honest, when talking to the guys from the GTG, the thought of running a stroker ABA w/ high compression heads really has been occupying my thoughts as of late. I mean, a 2.1 high revving 16v with all the port and cam work you'd want...that could be fun! Besides that, I'd have my machinist make a new Jetta emblem that replaces the 'fuel injection' with '2.1abaS16v+'

Regardless, lets move on. I had lost a bunch of pictures of the dash before, so I decided to take a few...

As much as I didn't want to, the dash needed to come out. Man, I really don't want to have to re-do the wiring in the dash again, but I did it once, I can do it again.

Here it is out of the car. When I put it in, there were no bubbles in the 'carbon fiber' decal...now...TONS of them. They had to go.

Just for grins, here's the panel labeled.

I donno if you guys like it, but I love the way it came out. the parking light switch and headlight switch are both illuminated when on ~ red to match the gauge lights! I split them up so I can cut the headlights or the parking lights at will. I now have a stock and decent headlight switch, but I'm going to keep these the way I've set them up. The four most important gauges are front and center ~ tach, oil pressure, temp, and speed. The fuel and volts are important, but not as crucial. On the right there are 4 auxillary switches. Two lighted (to draw attention when on), two not. Not sure what these will power yet. But I had electric windows and door lock circuits so I figured, hey...lets keep them open and switched for future use. The hazard switch is a stock unit and probably won't be making a return appearance when the dash is re-made. I thought about putting the stereo in its place instead.

Another shot.

So I removed all the gauges, switches and indicator lights and stripped the crappy sticker off the plastic.

Now that the dash was out, I could finally see if the new metal one I made would fit in its place.

Looking good. I can't wait to see it cut, cleaned, painted and reinstalled with the gauges in there!

Last thing before metal work starts was to transfer the hole positions over to the new metal one.
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 11-27-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Vehicles
      11-29-2011 09:14 AM #201
      Quote Originally Posted by vento86 View Post
      and get rid of those boss amps.. trust my 7+ years of installing that stuff. it will fail on you really quick. if you want cheap and reliable get orion cobalt
      Hey VENTO86 ~ can you tell me if this sub amp is bridgable. Its a Boss Riot R1002, 200w 2-channel power amplifier. All I need it to do is run the 200w Kicker Comp8 8" sub in a small box. I'm not a BIG BASS guy, just want the low-range filled in.

Vehicles
      11-29-2011 09:45 AM #202
      Yesterday was bitter sweet. I got the day off, which was nice and sweet. But when UPS gives you a day off the week after thanks giving ~ it means that they're going to hand you your butt by Friday. I just get to sneak 60 hours in over 4 days, not 5 On the flip side, I'm sure I'll be getting overtime, and after this engine fiasco ~ it'll be sorely needed.

Onward and upward.

Well, since I had the day off. I got the plasma cutter out and filled my compressor. Then free-handed (a litte assistance) the gauge hole. After that, I used a dremel to clean it up (like I said, free handed it). and test-fit the gauges.

I changed a few things up. Mainly, as promised, no hazard switch. Then I swapped the indicator lights location to the top and all in a row. Not sure if I'll be able to see them with the steering wheel, but hey.

Then I cleaned it up, shot it with some self-etching primer, and started applying some gloss black. 1st coat.

Second coat.

BTW ~ I'm using this stuff. Its Appliance Epoxy. It dries harder than standard enamel. Which means its cleanable ~ like spray it with 409 and wipe it clean without leaving scrapes. Well, that's the plan at least. I've used this stuff in the past and it seemed to work well.

Last coat. It was rather heavy.

My garage was like 30-40 degrees, so the stuff was slow to dry. I left more time between re-coats than the can required, simply for that fact.

This morning at about 5:30 I got up and woke the kids for school. Let the dogs out, fed them, and then went out in the garage to check on the dash. It was mostly dry ~ to the touch I should say ~ but not quite dry enough to handle. But the finish was nice and glossy.

I brought it in now that it doesn't smell so much, and to help it finish drying in over 60 degree temps.

(that makes 425 so far, I often wonder how many pics I'll take by the end of this thing ~ there is still a TON to do.)

I didn't sand the primer ~ probably should have. If I were a buddy of mine, I'd let it cure, then sand it with 1500 grit sandpaper, then hit it again with a few more layers. But regardless, its looking good. Sitting here for the last 30 minutes I can smell the paint fumes. I'll let it dry till at least tonight. Probably through tomorrow morning to make sure the paint is 'cured'. Then I'll reassemble it, and look at reattaching the dash to the car ~ hopefully for the last time!

Vehicles
      11-29-2011 10:17 AM #203
      More crappy news. A local guy accepted my offer on getting a new motor. The offer was, if he bought and picked up one of the 9a's from the junkyard, I'd buy the materials and build him a cage for his race rabbit project. I made him the offer to save us both money. He accepted and will be picking up the motor sometime soon.

The reason that's bad news is because I was hunting for a reason to rebuild a bottom end for the nice head I've got coming. Meaning, I had lined up a stroker kit for an ABA, a ABA block, and priced all the parts needed to make it a large-bore (83.5mm) stroker motor (making it near 2.2). On the flip side, this trade deal will cost me 1/10 the stroker cost. But honestly, I was kinda jones'n to build a cool NA stroker high-compression 16vABA.

I guess I'll just have to make due!
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 11-29-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Vehicles
      11-30-2011 10:07 AM #204
      Well, James (the first) ~ aka 719MkV on 719edition.com ~ came through on our deal way sooner than expected.

He and a buddy went down to the local junkyard where a 91 Passat was just waiting for him. Well, the motor is now missing. What I love about this motor is that it came from a car with an automatic transmission. That means the chance of this motor being over-rev'd is small.

Gotta have the typical 'i've got a 16v intake manifold!' picture.

Here's a shot, but with the dog in there, the camera adjusted the exposure.

Lastly, another shot with the flash.

This motor is WAY clean. James (the first) said that the whole engine bay was intact. By the looks of the distributor cap, its been well taken care of. Took them about 1 hour to pull it.

I officially owe him a cage for his GTI project.

Speaking of which, all I need from this motor is the block and some of the accesories. Meaning, I won't be using most of the motor. If anyone has need of anything else...let me know!
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 12-01-2011 at 09:36 AM.

11-30-2011 11:58 AM #205
      I'm enjoying the progress and the gauge panel.

Vehicles
      12-02-2011 09:25 AM #206
      Just a quick update, I assembled the dash. Hard as heck to get a good picture down here in the basement ~ but here's what I've got.

No flash:

Flash:

I'm sure I'll have better pictures when its in the car and has normal lighting.

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      12-02-2011 11:55 AM #207
      Sweet! Keep at it!
      www.oldskoolvw.com

Vehicles
      01-02-2012 02:49 PM #208
      Well, after the last engine was a flop, a neighbor of mine offered to put the 'new' junkyard motor in while I was in California. So the good news is I'm back ~ and the car runs. Actually drove it back to my house and a bit down the street. The bad news is that there is a TON of clean up to do in the engine bay, and as the car is running very rough, a little tad bit of tuning to be done.

Since there are misc wires and vacuum hoses laying about I'm going to start there and see if that helps, then I'll replace the plugs, wires, filters, cap/rotor, etc, do some timing, put in new gas...stuff like that.

Vehicles
      84 VW Rabbit GTI, 84 VW Jetta Coupe
      01-02-2012 04:29 PM #209
      The panel looks great.

Vehicles
      01-02-2012 10:22 PM #210
      Quote Originally Posted by Road Boss View Post
      The panel looks great.
      Hey thanks man. Speaking of which, I looked at the pictures over your jetta and saw this:

How in the world did you get it that clean, it seams that my engine harness (out of an 87 rocco) is all over the place!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast