Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Jetta

Vehicles
      '84 GTI, aba/jh combo with TT goodies
      03-23-2011 09:39 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by simon_C View Post
      just get a piece of aluminum or ABS plastic plate and cut out your own with a jigsaw.
      That would be a 'last resort' kinda thing. If you look at the actual mounting, the top screws go in straight up while the bottom screws go straight into the dash. I was hoping that an 'aftermarket' piece would accommodate the stock mounting, otherwise I'll have to improvise, and that could lead to disaster.
      1984 Mk1 GTI ~ Originally bought in 2008, then sold in 2010, and bought back in 2013
      1980 Mk1 Scirocco ~ Project w/ my son
      1982 Mk1 Jetta ~ Killed by texting driver

Vehicles
      04-12-2011 10:48 AM #127
      Well, I just ordered the remainder of the gauges I need for this thing. They're going to be Autometer's DesignerBlack series

Should be here on Friday!
      1984 Mk1 GTI ~ Originally bought in 2008, then sold in 2010, and bought back in 2013

Vehicles
      '50 Dodge PilotHouse, '52 DKW 125W, '76 Rabbit Ocean Bleu X2,EA Cabriolet,'77 & '80 Scirocco,'01 JSW
      04-12-2011 11:04 AM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by Damian Grihalva View Post
      I see you have a mk1 Rocco from your 'info' on the side. Cool, They are still my favorite Mk1. You also have a Jetta GLI. Very nice. If you could help me locate a lower dash (knee bar) and center console, I'd be REALLY appreciative. Also need a glovebox door. Other than that, stay tuned, I can't seem to build without taking tons of pictures, its just what I do.
      Mk1 Jettas originally had underdash trays and not kneebars, they are getting tough to come by, the classifieds on here would probably be your best bet. center console can be used from a cabby and it will "work" but the cutouts on the side of it may differ since they are technically for a kneebar.

Keep up the good work!

-Matt

Vehicles
      04-13-2011 09:43 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by saddest6day66 View Post
      Mk1 Jettas originally had underdash trays and not kneebars, they are getting tough to come by, the classifieds on here would probably be your best bet. center console can be used from a cabby and it will "work" but the cutouts on the side of it may differ since they are technically for a kneebar.
      Ya, I have one guy who says he has one, but can't/won't confirm he has the driver side under-dash tray ~ which has me worried. We'll see.

I got a message from Summit that led me over to the UPS site where I see this!
      Scheduled For Early Delivery On:
      Thursday, 04/14/2011, By End of Day
      Originally Scheduled For Delivery On:
      Friday, 04/15/2011, By End of Day
      So last night I started drawing out my dash plate. I think it's going to come out pretty nice. Can't wait for the gauges, my poor dash needs some clean up. I really don't like seeing all the wires hanging out of it. I guess its all in good time.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      vw jetta
      04-13-2011 11:41 AM #130
      waiting to see the finish product Damien.

Vehicles
      04-14-2011 09:18 AM #131
      Thanks ~ Just checked UPS's site and it looks like my boxes are sitting in Padilla's truck right now (the UPS driver here). When I go in today, I'll definately try to get them before we head out!

I think I got a decent orientation on the gauges and indicators. Frankly, I can't wait to get things in and wrap up the interior. Also have some 'surf-n-turf' rocker switches coming from Del City ~ those should be smokin!

Speaking of which, where does one buy those veneer overlays? You know, the ones that look like wood, or carbon fiber. Not sure which I"ll go with ~ maybe a simply black vinyl.

Vehicles
      04-18-2011 02:41 PM #132
      So, got the gauges coming. Last week I had some free time from UPS and went and got some 1/4" plastic from some friends of a friend. Cost me nothing! I was stoked.

With a little shaping and some sharpie work, I worked out what I thought would be a good combo for the dash:

The three most important gauges: Tach, Speedo and oil-pressure (or water temp) would take front row ~ then, as you can see, I put two single DIN mounts off to the side. One, would house the other 3 gauges, and the other, the radio.

Here's another shot.

But as I sat there, I couldn't help but notice there would be a ton of wasted real estate. So I flipped the dash over...

Broke out the Sharpie again...

And started drawing the boarders of the viewable area of the dash as seen through the steering wheel from the driver seat.

Came out kinda like this.

With that, I figured I could fit TWO small gauges in the middle by moving the tach and speedo apart. Then I noticed that I had plenty of room for the other two small gauges on the outsides of that...

So I picked up a 3" hole-saw and took a leap of faith.

Point of no return?
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 04-18-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Vehicles
      '84 GTI, '10 TDI JSW
      04-18-2011 02:55 PM #133
      Digging the dash action going on here... Subscribed.
      Ain't nobody dope as me, I'm dressed, so fresh, so clean, so fresh and so clean clean.

'84 GTI Revival

Vehicles
      04-18-2011 02:55 PM #134
      Moved onto the 2" hole saw.

It was looking pretty good so I stuck it in the car to see if it still looked like I hoped.

Oh yeah. Looking real good from the driver seat.

Then last Thursday, I got this.

Inside was the DIN-mount gauge holder I was planning to use on the original dash design ~

Which looks like this out of the shell.

Diggin' the Carbon fiber look. Even if it is just a sticker. I know, I'm a poser.

But the big box had the goodies...

So I pulled them out and gave it a whirl.

Another shot with the flash. You'll notice that I added 7/16" LED indicator lights from Painless to the mix. There are 2 greens (turn signals), 2 orange (misc auxiliary), 1 red (brakes) and 1 blue (high beam).

In case you wondering where the other big gauge is, well ~ I got a 3 3/8" tach instead of the 3 1/8" I thought I ordered. So I'm waiting for that to come in now.

But still, I couldn't help trying it out in the car.

I'll need to trim and figure out some of the mounting tabs ~ since the factory had the gall to put them right where I wanted the gauges (that's why I'm holding it up), but still, it looks pretty good in there.

Now I just need to cut in the DIN hole for the stereo and switches for the auxiliary stuff.

Vehicles
      04-30-2011 11:14 AM #135
      I've been thinking of paint schemes lately. I want to do a yellow/charcoal metallic theme

Not completely sure if I want to use the charcoal up that high or keep it one body line down.

Vehicles
      '02 A4 B6 Avant TDI 130
      04-30-2011 12:07 PM #136
      was browsing through your thread (nice job btw) and suddenly i see my jetta in two tone ,what? :p
      But i like that yellow/charcoal ,it fits.
      -'83 Golf D sold
      -'80 Jetta sold

Vehicles
      05-01-2011 10:01 AM #137
      Ya man, I have to thank you for the great side-shot picture. I was looking through the 'coolest' thread the other day and was thinking 'boy it'd be nice to get a good side-shot of a four door jetta to photo-chop and experiment with color schemes' ~ then presto! There your jetta was. So I pasted it into paintshop and got to work. I loved it because your color is pretty good and light, you can really change it up and keep the detail in the body work.

But I have to ask, could you get some RMK snowflakes and retake the picture so I can get a more realistic idea of what I'd like my Jetta to end up like?

J/K ~ thanks again for the picture. Hope it didn't piss ya off.

Vehicles
      '02 A4 B6 Avant TDI 130
      05-03-2011 01:08 PM #138
      No can do with the snowflakes,would love to have a set ,i dont have any laying around here
      Np using my pics for good causes
      -'83 Golf D sold
      -'80 Jetta sold

14. n00b
      05-03-2011 01:21 PM #139
      Whats was wrong with the GLI Shell in the yard would of been a good project car
      青竜

Generation Y VS Generation Z

Vehicles
      05-05-2011 09:28 AM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by dafour View Post
      No can do with the snowflakes,would love to have a set ,i dont have any laying around here
      Np using my pics for good causes
      Hahahah ~ Ya, I figured if you had some RMLs you'd be using them. My goal is to use them, but the Cup rims are a pretty close second in my book. I was actually looking for a set of those until I saw the RMLs.

Quote Originally Posted by HELLRAZR View Post
      Whats was wrong with the GLI Shell in the yard would of been a good project car
      I thought the very same thing. I may have to pick it up just for the shell ` the thing is STRAIGHT and in surprisingly good shape.

16. n00b
      07-03-2011 11:46 PM #141
      Hi man!! how are you?? My name is Ivan, im from Mexico D.F. i have a Jetta Mk1 83, but i have a problem, my car is an American Car, so, i dont have any Electric Diagram. Could you tell me where can i find it ???? Thanks a lot man!!!!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      vw jetta
      07-04-2011 11:10 AM #142
      i see you are still going

Vehicles
      07-04-2011 04:06 PM #143
      GTIDaddy ~ yes. Still going, well, or not going. I have had to concentrate on other things. I did pick up a Rocco engine harness though, got all my dash stuff, and some other things. But honestly, right now its dead in the water.

Vehicles
      07-04-2011 04:06 PM #144
      Ivan, I rewired it, so the stock wiring stuff doesn't apply here. However, I did buy a Bently Manual and that has all the wiring stuff in it.

Vehicles
      09-12-2011 07:29 PM #145
      Updates updates updates.

Well, I have to admit the car has sat for a good long time, but with work and all my family obligations, it was hard to find time..seriously. Anyway, you may notice something new.

Yes, some good Samaritan contacted me about a lower dash system he had from a Jetta/Cabby and offered it for a mere $70 shipped. I jumped on it FAST, and although its not perfect, its in good shape and I look forward to cleaning it up a bit to match the upper dash. May have to recover-it too.

The driver side tray came too, but I need to keep it out for wiring purposes. Here ya see the remaining wires that need cleaned up and attached.

Here is the ignition switch plug all wired up, just needed to plug it into the column and zip-tie it up.

The remainder of the wires for the dash itself are grouped together to keep things clean and easy to work on.

- The Headlight wires includes everything for the headlight switch.
      - Stereo wires are self explanatory, they include a constant hot, ignition hot and a 'power antenna' wire.
      - Accessory wires includes: cig lighter, hazard switch, power windows, power locks, etc. The power locks/windows and other misc circuits will be ran through switches on the dash plate.
      - Gauge wires include all the gauges, indicator lights, and stuff like that.

Now for making the dash panel fit. So I held it up to see what will interfere.

The center top gauge will hit here.

This tab will interfere with the 'volts' gauge.

And the factory thingy's on the driver side will interfere with the fuel gauge.
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 09-12-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Vehicles
      09-12-2011 07:31 PM #146
      But the big problem is the two screw holes at the top of the dash area.

I had a plan for them, so I wanted to keep them intact. So I used my pocket knife and carefully sliced them off (cutting the fiber-board) that the were attached to.

They came off good.

The way I will secure the new dash panel is by gluing the tabs into the top corners of the panel opening.

The factory 'tabs' will be used to hold the bottom of the dash panel.

With the mods, the dash panel fit great, and there are no places where the gauges will interfere with anything behind them.
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 09-12-2011 at 07:50 PM.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      vw jetta
      09-12-2011 11:03 PM #147
      good to see you are still going.
      A Dutty Dub
      OutCastDubs

Vehicles
      09-13-2011 09:28 AM #148
      Yup GTIDaddy ~ I've just been really busy, but got the 'we need to get your jetta running' from the wife, so it's still going!

I did a few things to this dash panel that really screwed it up, so I"ll have to make another ~ however, I wanted to cover this thing so it didn't look like a piece of white plastic half carved up sitting there in my otherwise 'decent' interior.

Seeing the 3-gauge panel from Summit Racing had a 'carbon fiber' sticker for it, I went to the local parts house to see what they had. Sure enough, I found more carbon-fiber stickers, so I picked it up to see how the dash would look 'wrapped' in one.

According to the instructions, clean said victim.

Then spray a light coating of water.

This is kinda like window tinting, but with more holes.

Lay sticker on.

Use provided squeegee to squeeze out water allowing sticker to stick.

I have to say, it seemed pretty easy. But in honesty, the sticker didn't stick, and the squeegee left scratches in the sticker. So I yanked it off, got some sand paper, sanded the dash thoroughly, and tried again, this time without water, and using a clean soft hand-towel to secure the sticker to the dash. (sorry for no pictures, the second time around, I just wanted it to be done). The results were pretty good.

I cut the gauge holes with an exacto knife. And I swear I had more pictures of it complete, but for the life of me, I have no idea where they went. Maybe more later.

Vehicles
      09-14-2011 09:34 AM #149
      Well, I had more pictures but I seem to have lost the lot of them. Crap. Anyway, I'll take more when I get the car back. To summarize, the dash panel looks okay. It looked great when I put the sticker on, but once I got the gauges in, there were some 'bubbles' appearing. Once it was put into the hot car, the bubbles got worse. I'm definitely going to re-do the dash in something paint-able/powder-coat-able. But all the same, it's layout is great, and I like the custom touch it brings to the car.

That said, the car is no longer here. Since we bought a new car for the wife, and the van I was using is being used to car-pool kido's to school, My wife said I could get the Jetta running ~ so she doesn't have to take me to work and back all the time. I called around and the guys at RSMotorsports said they had the time and guts to finish assembling the engine compartment for me.

Since I ended up not working Monday, I rented a car-hauler and took it up to them. They said they'll start working on it later this week. They quoted 2-6 hours depending on what needs done, but considering they need to finish the motor swap, run fuel lines, mount the new radiator and hoses, install the header (and possibly the exhaust) as well as plug in the brake light switch (so I have brake lights), it's probably going to be a touch longer than that

I'll keep ya'll informed and we'll see how things roll. But I have to say, I'm already thinking of other mods. Such as, finding a head w/ cams and valve springs (possibly a port job). Looking for a turbo kit. Buying a set of RML 15" or 16" snowflakes. Oh, and this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=110736962654

~ lets not forget I have a rear beam from an 87 16v 'Rocco w/ rear discs for it, as well as a full set of Bilstien coilovers waiting to be installed.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      vw jetta
      09-14-2011 10:19 AM #150
      keep it coming bud. i put the bunny on the rotisserie. mk2 is set for now.
      A Dutty Dub
      OutCastDubs

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast