Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Jetta

Vehicles
      '84 GTI, aba/jh combo with TT goodies
      11-29-2011 09:14 AM #201
      Quote Originally Posted by vento86 View Post
      and get rid of those boss amps.. trust my 7+ years of installing that stuff. it will fail on you really quick. if you want cheap and reliable get orion cobalt
      Hey VENTO86 ~ can you tell me if this sub amp is bridgable. Its a Boss Riot R1002, 200w 2-channel power amplifier. All I need it to do is run the 200w Kicker Comp8 8" sub in a small box. I'm not a BIG BASS guy, just want the low-range filled in.
      1984 Mk1 GTI ~ Originally bought in 2008, then sold in 2010, and bought back in 2013
      1980 Mk1 Scirocco ~ Project w/ my son
      1982 Mk1 Jetta ~ Killed by texting driver

Vehicles
      11-29-2011 09:45 AM #202
      Yesterday was bitter sweet. I got the day off, which was nice and sweet. But when UPS gives you a day off the week after thanks giving ~ it means that they're going to hand you your butt by Friday. I just get to sneak 60 hours in over 4 days, not 5 On the flip side, I'm sure I'll be getting overtime, and after this engine fiasco ~ it'll be sorely needed.

Onward and upward.

Well, since I had the day off. I got the plasma cutter out and filled my compressor. Then free-handed (a litte assistance) the gauge hole. After that, I used a dremel to clean it up (like I said, free handed it). and test-fit the gauges.

I changed a few things up. Mainly, as promised, no hazard switch. Then I swapped the indicator lights location to the top and all in a row. Not sure if I'll be able to see them with the steering wheel, but hey.

Then I cleaned it up, shot it with some self-etching primer, and started applying some gloss black. 1st coat.

Second coat.

BTW ~ I'm using this stuff. Its Appliance Epoxy. It dries harder than standard enamel. Which means its cleanable ~ like spray it with 409 and wipe it clean without leaving scrapes. Well, that's the plan at least. I've used this stuff in the past and it seemed to work well.

Last coat. It was rather heavy.

My garage was like 30-40 degrees, so the stuff was slow to dry. I left more time between re-coats than the can required, simply for that fact.

This morning at about 5:30 I got up and woke the kids for school. Let the dogs out, fed them, and then went out in the garage to check on the dash. It was mostly dry ~ to the touch I should say ~ but not quite dry enough to handle. But the finish was nice and glossy.

I brought it in now that it doesn't smell so much, and to help it finish drying in over 60 degree temps.

(that makes 425 so far, I often wonder how many pics I'll take by the end of this thing ~ there is still a TON to do.)

I didn't sand the primer ~ probably should have. If I were a buddy of mine, I'd let it cure, then sand it with 1500 grit sandpaper, then hit it again with a few more layers. But regardless, its looking good. Sitting here for the last 30 minutes I can smell the paint fumes. I'll let it dry till at least tonight. Probably through tomorrow morning to make sure the paint is 'cured'. Then I'll reassemble it, and look at reattaching the dash to the car ~ hopefully for the last time!
      1984 Mk1 GTI ~ Originally bought in 2008, then sold in 2010, and bought back in 2013

Vehicles
      11-29-2011 10:17 AM #203
      More crappy news. A local guy accepted my offer on getting a new motor. The offer was, if he bought and picked up one of the 9a's from the junkyard, I'd buy the materials and build him a cage for his race rabbit project. I made him the offer to save us both money. He accepted and will be picking up the motor sometime soon.

The reason that's bad news is because I was hunting for a reason to rebuild a bottom end for the nice head I've got coming. Meaning, I had lined up a stroker kit for an ABA, a ABA block, and priced all the parts needed to make it a large-bore (83.5mm) stroker motor (making it near 2.2). On the flip side, this trade deal will cost me 1/10 the stroker cost. But honestly, I was kinda jones'n to build a cool NA stroker high-compression 16vABA.

I guess I'll just have to make due!
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 11-29-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Vehicles
      11-30-2011 10:07 AM #204
      Well, James (the first) ~ aka 719MkV on 719edition.com ~ came through on our deal way sooner than expected.

He and a buddy went down to the local junkyard where a 91 Passat was just waiting for him. Well, the motor is now missing. What I love about this motor is that it came from a car with an automatic transmission. That means the chance of this motor being over-rev'd is small.

Gotta have the typical 'i've got a 16v intake manifold!' picture.

Here's a shot, but with the dog in there, the camera adjusted the exposure.

Lastly, another shot with the flash.

This motor is WAY clean. James (the first) said that the whole engine bay was intact. By the looks of the distributor cap, its been well taken care of. Took them about 1 hour to pull it.

I officially owe him a cage for his GTI project.

Speaking of which, all I need from this motor is the block and some of the accesories. Meaning, I won't be using most of the motor. If anyone has need of anything else...let me know!
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 12-01-2011 at 09:36 AM.

11-30-2011 11:58 AM #205
      I'm enjoying the progress and the gauge panel.

Vehicles
      12-02-2011 09:25 AM #206
      Just a quick update, I assembled the dash. Hard as heck to get a good picture down here in the basement ~ but here's what I've got.

No flash:

Flash:

I'm sure I'll have better pictures when its in the car and has normal lighting.

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      12-02-2011 11:55 AM #207
      Sweet! Keep at it!
      junkstyles.com

Vehicles
      01-02-2012 02:49 PM #208
      Well, after the last engine was a flop, a neighbor of mine offered to put the 'new' junkyard motor in while I was in California. So the good news is I'm back ~ and the car runs. Actually drove it back to my house and a bit down the street. The bad news is that there is a TON of clean up to do in the engine bay, and as the car is running very rough, a little tad bit of tuning to be done.

Since there are misc wires and vacuum hoses laying about I'm going to start there and see if that helps, then I'll replace the plugs, wires, filters, cap/rotor, etc, do some timing, put in new gas...stuff like that.

Vehicles
      84 VW Rabbit GTI, 84 VW Jetta Coupe
      01-02-2012 04:29 PM #209
      The panel looks great.

Vehicles
      01-02-2012 10:22 PM #210
      Quote Originally Posted by Road Boss View Post
      The panel looks great.
      Hey thanks man. Speaking of which, I looked at the pictures over your jetta and saw this:

How in the world did you get it that clean, it seams that my engine harness (out of an 87 rocco) is all over the place!

Vehicles
      01-02-2012 11:54 PM #211
      Well, lets update this thread with a few pictures.

First, I had a buddy from Germany on the lookout for a part for the car for quite some time. He finally found one and sent me this picture about a month or two ago. Anyone care to guess what it is?

Anyway, that box is now sitting next to me. Still haven't opened it. Probably should, but getting the car running properly is more important than opening boxes of stuff that won't get it on the road faster.

Moving on. As I stated earlier, I picked up the car today and drove it home.

But I have to admit, the wiring in it was really irkin' me something fierce. I had to do something about it. So I started taking things apart to clean up some of the mess.

When I see this:

The thought comes to mind that this car will never be what I want it to be...and it makes me kinda sad. Yet, I will not give up completely...

My desire was to have the engine harness put in and done cleanly. This is not what I was looking for. So I started tracing wires. I had a lume that ran up the driver side inner fender, but instead of running the wires through the loom and out one spot near the radiator, the wires were literally draped across the engine compartment under the intake boot. GRRRRrrrr..... So I took them all off, lengthened them if needed, and loomed them up in the loom.

Here they are going back into the loom. The red and black ones that are capped off are the choke power and AC compressor wires that are not used in this car.

Once back in the loom you can see just the two wires going to the coil (tach and coil-power) sticking out.

The loom will take the wires passed the battery to the radiator. From there the headlights and related wires separate from the engine harness.

I even wrapped the CIS injector hoses together with electrical tape and a zip-tie to keep them together. Better than having spaghetti hoses in my opinion.

Here you can see that I wrapped the fan motor wires together (along with an alternator wire) with electrical tape. Instead of using the electric fan circuit found in the harness, RS had built a simple harness going straight to the battery with an inline fuse. Since I already had a fused wire for the fan, I deleted the new harness and used the car harness.

Below you can see the two body harness feed wires going to the hot terminal on the starter. Those were also cut to size and taped together in like fashion to keep things neat.

Backing out a bit you can see how I ran the wires together from the loom next to the radiator to the starter and engine points in the general area. Still needs some cleaning from this point.

Here it is after a little more cleaning. I still had a few zip-ties to add after this shot, but you get the idea. Definitely not the spaghetti that I had before. Ultimately all the wires will be in a smaller loom that will cover the headlight/parking light wires as well, but that will be later.

Since I was running out of daylight, I wanted to get the car back together. I figure it was running before I started, and I wanted it running after as well. So I stopped where I was and put things back together to make sure it still ran.

It started again, so I closed everything up, cleaned all the wire-tie and snipped wire carcasses and went inside. I certainly wish I had more time and someone who was comfortable with CIS injection. That will be cleaned up next. Once I'm certain the wiring is right, I'll start trying to figure out why it runs so rough.

So till next weekend.

Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      01-03-2012 12:43 AM #212
      noneya pics work

*bored*

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      01-03-2012 09:42 AM #213
      I see the px and progress is sweet.
      junkstyles.com

Vehicles
      01-12-2012 09:54 AM #214
      UPDATE! A local is comeing over this Thursday for a work-day...should have it running!

Vehicles
      01-30-2012 09:59 AM #215
      Time to update the thread. But before I do that, I thought I'd share this:
      http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/j...amotorruns.avi
      Its a video of how it ran after getting the 'Rocco' harness and injection put on it.

The gas is WAY old...so I wasn't to worried about how 'rough' it was running...but all the same. While I was talking with a local VW guy (Dave) about his caddy (seen later) ~ I learned that he had removed the CIS-basic injection system and had installed a SDS (simple digital system) in its place. Dave is about to go ITBs and re-worked head w/ cam on his 9a motor. So I asked him: Still got the old basic system?

Him: "Ya"

Me:"How much do you want for it?"

Him: "Make me an offer"

Me:"Dude, I have no idea what they go for"

Him: "Give me $75 and its yours."

Me: "What's your paypal?!?!?"

So with any further adieu....anyone want a fully intact Rocco engine harness, fuel distributor, complete with knock boxes, ignition circuit and all?

As you guys know, I'm a stickler for trying to keep things clean (though you wouldn't know that from looking in the interior yet). So I have to say I was happy to see the effect of having the Rocco's motor harness out of the engine bay.

Having little experience with CIS (but getting more everyday), I 'arranged' to get Dave over to help install the CIS-basic system. Here's a crappy picture of his caddy.

But the Jetta was sitting in the driveway ready for some lovin'.

The master approaches.

Once the Rocco fuel dissy was removed, we took the fuel supply line and put it in a 3 gallon can. Since my fuel pump will remain on when the key is in the 'run' position, The first order of things was to get rid of the REALLY bad gas.

There was actually 3 gallons in the tank, so after the gas can was filled, I dumped the old fuel into my 15-passenger van's 33 gallon tank (which was almost full of good gas) to get rid of it. Later we'll use some NEW premium gas to get this thing going.

While dealing with the fuel, Dave, dressed like a Dark CIS Jedi, got out his 'junmkyard' back of tools and started to work some magic.

That was the 450th picture on the build so far...boy I need to get a life!

Tackling one thing at a time, the CIS-basic fuel dissy went in, then the warm-up regulator...

Soon the motor was looking pretty good. I was shocked at the lack of wires of the CIS-basic system....more like PLEASED!

Here's Dave relocating the warm-up reg to the side of the motor (vs. the front).

After that, and completely out of light, we cleaned up, and headed home.

The only thing we didn't do is: Install ignition circuit, get new gas and cycle it through the fuel system, and test fire. That will come later. The plan was, unless another ignition circuit presented itself, Dave would separate the circuit from my rocco harness in the comfort and warmth of his own home and bring it back over for installation.

More to come...

Vehicles
      02-01-2012 09:49 AM #216
      Well, at the end of that last post Dave (and I) had only installed the injection system. No spark yet. He came over last weekend to finish the job. He had taken my rocco harness home to separate out the ignition circuit, but decided that instead of cutting up a perfectly good engine harness, he'd just give me the one out of his Caddy (since he was going to coil-packs) on his SEM (standalone engime management) anyway.

He's keeping the rocco harness for the time being in case he needs to move the Caddy and the coil-packs aren't shooting properly. But anyway ~ he came over this last weekend to put everything in and see if we could get the Jetta running properly. After an extremely short time (like 15 minutes) the Jetta fired and roared to life.

http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/jetta/jettaruns1.avi
      http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/jetta/jettaruns2.avi

After that, we tempted fate and got in for a drive around the block. No video, but we did make it without any problems. I only had 2 bolts per CV shaft so I didn't push it, but it had plenty of 'umph' and I look forward to getting it to 100% again.

Another buddy of ours has been tackling a turbo in his GTI so Dave had to run and help with that project. And I was left knowing that my car was MUCH closer than ever before to running properly. Besides, I was late to go paintballing with some youth with my church...so....(What can you say when people needed shooting).

Well, the last couple evenings (into the night) I've been working on doing what I can to clean up the engine bay as much as possible. Re-re running wires. Figuring out what needs finished and doing it....stuff like that. Gratefully, I'm making progress, and will take some pictures later to document everything I've been doing. Night one was installing more CV bolts, finding the wires left under the dash that need terminated, and then finding how to terminate them all the while testing the circuits to make sure they still worked (you never know).

Night two (last night) I spend a ton of time back in the engine bay. I installed a coolant temp sensor for the Autometer gauges and attempted to do the same on the oil-preasure. I say attempted because I failed to be able to install the sender (which is big) into the small cramped space where it needed to go. I'll take pictures later. I also spent A TON of time re-relocating the hard fuel lines. Then hooking them up. Then taking out the just installed ignition stuff from dave, only to clean it up, loom it better, and put it back in.

Now that its light again. I think I'll go see about taking some pictures. With any luck, the car will still run too.
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 02-01-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Vehicles
      02-01-2012 10:36 PM #217
      More updates...this time, pictures.

Well, first ~ to get to the area I need to get too...I need to move the overflow. Let me say...is there a way to permanently move this 'bottle' over here to the passenger fender? I prefer not to have to do this every time. Its messy

That said. After a few hours tinkering. Here is what the driver side looks like now.

Which is a far cry better looking than before:

Another shot...I've still got a few things to wrap up and clean up, but still....

Things did: 1) CV bolts. I have a trans out of a 87 GLI so the metal straps didn't fit around the CVs, but at least the bolts are there now.

Tried to put in the oil pressure sender on the filter housing, but it keeps hitting the plastic thingy...which I think is the PCV hose. Anybody got ideas what to do here?

By far the most time was spent moving the fuel feed/return lines around. They were draped over the top of the motor which made everything hard to do...so I spent a bit moving them so that they pop up from under the brake master cylinder.

Here's a shot of the looming and taping I did. Basically I'm messing with the main engine loom again. The big changes were my two aux ground wires were put into the loom, and the coolant temp and oil pressure were taken out of it. The taped up wires next to the loom are the brake-light switch wires (my Jetta has the switch on the master cylinder as seen) and the second set of wires is for the back-up lights. ~ which we'll talk about later.

I installed the coolant temp sensor off the head near the distributor. When I took out the old item in this hole, coolant came out so I figured I'd use it for the new sender.

A bit of time was spent cleaning up the ignition wires....

Basically I wanted to loom them together in one loom. Previously they were close, but a few wires needed their lengths to change to make it more neat. So that's what was done.

I also shortened the vacuum hose so that it could be 'grouped' with everything else.

Vehicles
      02-01-2012 10:48 PM #218
      With that, there are only 3 wires left to mess with...

One is the biggest pain. Its the back-up lights. Sure, I can simply use a switch and turn them off and on as I please...but I prefer to install them to the trans so they light up when I go into reverse.

However...this is the plug/thing I have in the trans.

and I'm not sure at all how to hook up the wires to that.

As a back ground: the trans is out of an 87 Jetta GLI. I just had it rebuilt and its an 020 w/ LSD and .7 diesel 5th gear. Which prongs in the plug are responsible for the back up lights? Can I get a better looking 'plug' out of a junk yard, bolt it on, and use the stock harness (the part that plugs in) to hook the wires too? Why are there 4 wires? Can anyone help me out here?

So there are a few questions I have for those who can lend a hand or give advice:
      1) As stated above, what prongs in the plug are responsible for the back-up lights, and can I simply get a plug from the junkyard to ease hookup?

2) Anyone have ideas where I can install the oil pressure sender? Got pictures?
      Here is where I was planning on putting it.

3) Is there a way to move the coolant overflow/fill 'bottle' to the passenger side inner fender?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
      Last edited by Damian Grihalva; 02-01-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Vehicles
      1991 Golf GL, '73 Super Beetle
      02-02-2012 01:06 AM #219
      you can fit the old style two-pole reverse light switch to the top of the trans housing still, iirc, i think theres just a brass plug on top where the old style switch would normally go.
      How does a rotary work? This one's easy: the magic triangle spins in the peanut and then apex seals come out.
      BUY MY SUPER BEETLE!

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      02-02-2012 10:00 AM #220
      I may not be the soluton you want to hear but I put a non-overflow radiator in mine from the early cars. It gets rid of the overflow all together...very clean.
      junkstyles.com

Vehicles
      02-03-2012 10:40 PM #221
      Quote Originally Posted by standard125r View Post
      I may not be the soluton you want to hear but I put a non-overflow radiator in mine from the early cars. It gets rid of the overflow all together...very clean.
      Ya...the radiator is new, from a 87 Rocco. I prefer not to have to buy another one. Dave told me I should have got a mk1 rocco radiator since its got the radiator cap on the tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by simon_C View Post
      you can fit the old style two-pole reverse light switch to the top of the trans housing still, iirc, i think theres just a brass plug on top where the old style switch would normally go.

I assume you're talking about these... which one? 1 or 2

Vehicles
      1991 Golf GL, '73 Super Beetle
      02-04-2012 01:09 AM #222
      Quote Originally Posted by Damian Grihalva View Post
      Ya...the radiator is new, from a 87 Rocco. I prefer not to have to buy another one. Dave told me I should have got a mk1 rocco radiator since its got the radiator cap on the tanks.

I assume you're talking about these... which one? 1 or 2
      er. i may be wrong. im not sure. I dont remember anymore. you can just find the pinout for the big style switch you already have. its not terribly difficult to hook up
      How does a rotary work? This one's easy: the magic triangle spins in the peanut and then apex seals come out.
      BUY MY SUPER BEETLE!

Vehicles
      02-07-2012 09:48 AM #223
      Just wanted to put a small update on the thread.

When installing the fuel lines in the new cleaner location, and fearing a leak,I over-tightened the line to the fuel filter. This caused two problems.

1) Wrench slipped and poked hole in fuel filter that I didn't discover till I ran power to it. [squirt!]

2)When removing said line to replace filter, wrench slipped again and busted banjo fitting on line.

So....I've picked up a used filter w/ lines on it from a local (thanks James), and will be installing that soon. Then, and hopefully, that will get the car running.

Vehicles
      02-08-2012 12:20 PM #224
      Sold some parts the other day and that is bitter sweet.

Bitter because I could have gotten everything I needed for the motor ~ but DIDN'T.

Sweet because I just eliminated a bunch of personal debt.

Man, I had a hard time figuring out what to do [sigh]. It was one of those moments when you realize ~ "hey, I can get the engine awesomeness that I want....RIGHT NOW!" But at the same time your brain says:"Dude, didn't you want to pay off all your debt by July? ~ You know, this should really go towards that instead. Besides, you've got a pretty rockin' motor in it already...just run that for a while..."

At last, I knew what I should do...but man the temptation was SOOO THERE. So finally, to rid myself of the devil on my shoulder, I told my wife about the funds becoming available and we talked about where they should be applied. I, of course, informed her all about the moral dilemma I'd been toiling under ~ TWICE. She emphasized for about a half second then brought me right back to reality.

Anyway...I had to share that.

Kinda like talking in 'group' I suppose.

I feel better now.

Carry on.

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe
      02-09-2012 09:19 AM #225
      Been doing that for years, I buy stuff when things are good for survival when I just cannot suffer one more day at a job. That may sound strange, but sometimes I just cannot go back to a job, I have to do something else (by my own choice), and all those parts keep us a float until I do.
      junkstyles.com

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast