Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tell me about the 2006 to current honda civic si

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 01:19 PM #1
      I'm looking into buying a newer car. I want something with low miles, below 30k miles, and sporty. So far i have come to one and only one possible candidate, that being the 2006 and up civic si. They seem like fun cars and im not too worried about going fast in a straight line anymore.
      My question for you is, will i be really let down going from my current subaru to a fwd honda civic si? tell me your experiences with these cars.

cars in question

http://bit.ly/cKY506
      http://bit.ly/bq4Sbo
      http://bit.ly/blC299
      and the unnecessary option:
      http://southjersey.craigslist.....html

2. 03-30-2010 01:22 PM #2
      You really need to drive one and decide if it is for you.

I did and could not get past the horrible steering feel and stupid dash. I liked the rest of the car and the the outside looks great...but after driving it at night just can't deal with the dash.

And you may want to see what it will do to your insurance...I was looking for a drop from my WRX and it was about the same.

Vehicles
      2010 GT500
      03-30-2010 01:24 PM #3
      I owned one before my Mustang. Could stand the powerband/VTAKKKKKK of the car. Had to rev the piss out of it to get anywhere, and it turned a billion RPMs on the highway. A lot of people may like that, but it wasn't for me.

I liked the styling, the dash, the seats were great, and the shifter was top notch. Great car, just wish it had some grunt to it.

You may like it, go drive one and see.

EDIT - Poster below mentioned weak A/C, that was a concern of mine as well on my '08.

Modified by djsheijkdfj at 10:26 AM 3-30-2010

Vehicles
      Yaris x2
      03-30-2010 01:26 PM #4
      I don't know to what degree they've addressed these things in the current model, but on my '03 Si, the only things I don't like are the weak A/C and overabundance of road noise on the highway. It's been an outstanding car — very reliable and cheap to maintain.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

03-30-2010 01:27 PM #5
      ive driven one a few times, its really peppy but is only really fun if you keep the revs up, which is pretty easy. the rest of the time its just a normal car with phenomenal gas milage. the seats are pretty good and the shifting is pretty light and smooth but isnt lacking in feel at all. its a pretty nice car overall, go test drive one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      03-30-2010 01:32 PM #6
      Bottom seat cushion is too short. Its sized for small asians (no offense to small asians), so the thigh support for long drives was horrible for me, and I'm not even that tall.

The end of the ebrake handle sits right where your right knee may rest. That drove me crazy for 3 years.

The 2 level dash is awesome and I miss it. People bag on it but once you experience being able to see the tach and speedo without your arm or the steering wheel being in the way you'll love it. In my new mazdaspeed3, with the steering wheel all the way down, I can't see the tach or the top of the speedo with my left hand at the top of the wheel.

The shifter is the best.

Modified by MAC at 1:45 PM 3-30-2010

7. 03-30-2010 01:41 PM #7
      other than the amazing shifter and a descent sounding engine with a predictable punch, most of the driving experience is forgettable...

I think the only one I would consider is the Mugen Si, which actually looks pretty neat from the back. The front cannot be remedied. I just never really liked the styling of the car, it looks like a wedge of cheese.

GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      03-30-2010 01:45 PM #8
      Turns a million rpm on the highway ? I used 6th gear all the time and i think it was at like 3k at 80mph. It wasn't annoying in the least.

So many people talk about the engine in terms of driving like a complete maniac or comparing it to a v6 or v8. It has enough torque that you can do your commute to work without ever using 1st. If you shift it just prior to hitting vtec it still gets out of the hole plenty good for normal driving. If you're the type that gets upset when a housewife in her cherokee pulls away from a light ahead of you then I don't know what to tell you.

The a/c does take a LONG time to cool down the car when its over 90 degrees.

My '08 had no problems at all in 3 years.

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 01:45 PM #9
      im looking to test drive one sometime this week. As ive said im not worried about fast or anything. Ive done fast for the past 3 years and im over it. I just want something thats fun in the way that i could throw it around some twisty back roads and have fun.
      Ive driven my friends 99 prelude and the lack of torque never seemed to bother me. I always had more fun driving his car than my current car, so im guessing i will enjoy the new si if its anything like a 99 prelude.

Vehicles
      '13 FR-S
      03-30-2010 01:51 PM #10
      Change the suspension immediately if handling is a concern to you. That and the straight line performance will probably be the biggest letdown from the WRX.

oh yeah, and try to buy one from an older gentleman or lady, and not from some kid who bounced off the rev limiter for 30,000 miles. That should be a given though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dario Franchitti
      Modern cars are getting faster, grippier and more stable. But I only want those characteristics in a race car. It seems to me that a trend is developing when road cars are being engineered to behave like race cars -- but the truth is that driver enjoyment is way down the list of priorities for a racer. If we go down that route, it’s a slippery slope for those who love road driving.

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 01:55 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by hushypushy »
      Change the suspension immediately if handling is a concern to you. That and the straight line performance will probably be the biggest letdown from the WRX.

oh yeah, and try to buy one from an older gentleman or lady, and not from some kid who bounced off the rev limiter for 30,000 miles. That should be a given though.

main reason why im not getting another wrx. every single one i can find has a greddy bov haha. first thing i plan on doing with the civic is coilovers and possibly sway bars or things along those lines.

12. Member
      03-30-2010 01:56 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by MAC »
      Bottom seat cushion is too short. Its sized for small asians (no offense to small asians), so the thigh support for long drives was horrible for me, and I'm not even that tall.

I don't think your "height" is the issue.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      03-30-2010 02:00 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by EGSEDAN »

I don't think your "height" is the issue.

I don't get it.

Just in case its not clear please see a sport seat in a bmw and note how the front of the seat extends and raises so you can have your legs fully supported and not just be sitting on your ass bones.

14. Member
      03-30-2010 02:03 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by MAC »

I don't get it.

Just in case its not clear please see a sport seat in a bmw and note how the front of the seat extends and raises so you can have your legs fully supported and not just be sitting on your ass bones.

Are you a large man, but not tall? I'm asking if you are fat and if that's why you do not fit in the seat very well. Maybe I was a little too subtle.

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 02:03 PM #15
      ooook lets not turn this into a body image thing

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      03-30-2010 02:06 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by EGSEDAN »

Are you a large man, but not tall? I'm asking if you are fat and if that's why you do not fit in the seat very well. Maybe I was a little too subtle.

I said the cushion is too short, not too narrow. And I do very well on the fitness front. thanks for asking.

03-30-2010 02:17 PM #17
      They have an awesome oversized speedometer display. Before I regeared my truck I used to always drive next to them and pace them to see how far my speedometer was off.

Vehicles
      2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
      03-30-2010 02:24 PM #18

Letdown?
      A 08 civic Si will probably be faster than a 02 WRX if they are both stock.

The older WRX had about 175 WHP, not sure why people think they are fast. If its modified then sure its no contest, but otherwise the older WRX's are not fast when they are stock.

I had an 06 Si civic and it was a fun little car, just got bored of it after a year or so.

Vehicles
      2011 Rustang. Secretary Edition.
      03-30-2010 02:26 PM #19
      You can find an 09 for almost what they are asking for that one. There is an 09 with 7000 miles near me for $18k asking price. I'm 99% sure its the one I traded in on my Genesis Coupe, even though its at a different dealership. How many black 09 si coupes with weathertech floormats and under 8k miles can there be in this small area?

Anyway --- The interior is fantastic. Really great materials. Very comfortable car. The handling "FEELS" numb, but is actually very quick and darty. The car isn't fast, but its not slow either. the vtec crossover is very smooth on the k20z3, so other than a change in sound, it doesn't kick you in the seat of the pants, but it does move quite well.

Honestly, I kind of regret trading in the SI some days. The genesis coupe isn't really any faster stock, and tuning companies haven't taken interest in it. Around a track, the SI might have an edge due to its tiny curb weight (2600lbs) for a modern car.

Oh, and the shifter is the BEST 6 speed you will lay your hands on.

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 02:29 PM #20
      My current car has somewhere around 300hp give or take. I love it but the gas mileage is absolutely terrible. The power isnt so much smooth but more like an onslaught of angry hungry bears screaming and running after a meal.
      So basically im looking for a quick small car that is good on gas and isnt completely harsh to drive.
      If anyone has any other suggestions that come to mind feel free to mention, im still open to anything else.

Vehicles
      '13 FR-S
      03-30-2010 02:54 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by B20VTEC »

Letdown?

The older WRX had about 175 WHP, not sure why people think they are fast. If its modified then sure its no contest, but otherwise the older WRX's are not fast when they are stock.

I had an 06 Si civic and it was a fun little car, just got bored of it after a year or so.

Where did you get those figures? AFAIK the 02-03 WRX had 227hp/217tq, a bit more HP and tons more torque than the Si's 197hp/139tq. Given that the WRX weighs within a couple hundred pounds of the Si (~3000 vs ~2900) and the published 0-60 figures are about a full second quicker for the WRX...I'm not sure why you're saying the Si will be quicker in a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dario Franchitti
      Modern cars are getting faster, grippier and more stable. But I only want those characteristics in a race car. It seems to me that a trend is developing when road cars are being engineered to behave like race cars -- but the truth is that driver enjoyment is way down the list of priorities for a racer. If we go down that route, it’s a slippery slope for those who love road driving.

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 03:00 PM #22

Where did you get those figures? AFAIK the 02-03 WRX had 227hp/217tq, a bit more HP and tons more torque than the Si's 197hp/139tq. Given that the WRX weighs within a couple hundred pounds of the Si (~3000 vs ~2900) and the published 0-60 figures are about a full second quicker for the WRX...I'm not sure why you're saying the Si will be quicker in a straight line.

confused a little bit with that last part, but ive put quite a bit of money into my wrx in mods over the years, so its not stock at all.

23. 03-30-2010 03:13 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by B20VTEC »

Letdown?

Any WRX will walk all over any RSX/Civic K20 car stock.

I've been there, done that.

It's mostly the launch.

closest race I had was with 02-04 WRX Wagon, automatic, which I was able to barely walk from a 40 mph\2nd gear roll with an I/E 02 RSX-S. From a launch, forget about it.

The RSX-S and Civic Si are dead even in straight line contests by the way.

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 03:15 PM #24
      as ive said im not worried about straight line speed

25. 03-30-2010 03:19 PM #25
      I know, I just wanted to state for the record that the WRX is one class higher than the Si in just about all categories related to acceleration.

I'll tell you the things that bothered me about hte k20/6 speed.

My synchros were shot after I drove it very carefully. No slam shifting or any of that. The second gear would grind.

And, the motor would consume a quart of oil or two between changes. The more I used vtec, the more it would consume.

A catalytic converter failed because of the oil bypass and because the cat is right up butted to the header.

To tell you the truth, the K20/6 speed spoiled me on Honda for awhile.

26. 03-30-2010 03:24 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by j2me02 »
      My current car has somewhere around 300hp give or take. I love it but the gas mileage is absolutely terrible. The power isnt so much smooth but more like an onslaught of angry hungry bears screaming and running after a meal.
      So basically im looking for a quick small car that is good on gas and isnt completely harsh to drive.
      If anyone has any other suggestions that come to mind feel free to mention, im still open to anything else.

Miata. If you can live without the extra seats.

I got one and haven't looked back.

You can really feel the sports car dynamics in the Miata, although on a smaller, slower scale than other sports cars.

It is slower, but 100X better than the si.

I've driven several Sis RSX, prelude, honda, you name it.

Short of a s2000, the Miata is better than all of them.

Vehicles
      605 Nogaro S4
      03-30-2010 03:25 PM #27
      was it this car that the oil change is a bitch on??
      Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      A friend of mine is at law school at Gonzaga. He says Spokane is a real **** show. Florida of the Pacific Northwest...
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      There was a separate petition for it. So no, I don't think Austin is the demographic in Texas looking to secede. But **** Austin anyways.

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 03:35 PM #28
      i definitely wouldnt be able to get a two seater. If that were the case, i think id get an s2000, but it is not unfortunately.

Vehicles
      2010 GT500
      03-30-2010 03:45 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by Gaki »
      was it this car that the oil change is a bitch on??

Forgot about that.

The oil filter is on the back of the block, it is an absolute BITCH to get to.

30. 03-30-2010 03:46 PM #30

I went from a WRX wagon to the current gen Si sedan. The Si is definitely more of a driver's car. The engine-transmission combo is magnificent. Rowing gears with the Honda 6-spd is addictive. People complain about the Si's suspension, but it's head and shoulders above the WRX... more controlled.

In terms of built quality, I'd say the Subaru is better. The Si has many rattles and I've had a couple of warranty repairs. I had no issue with the WRX and a lot less rattles.

The Si's gas mileage won't be a significant improvement over the WRX. both require premium. I get 2-3mpg better with the Si from my mixed commute.

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 03:47 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by djsheijkdfj »

Forgot about that.

The oil filter is on the back of the block, it is an absolute BITCH to get to.

pics anyone? thats how it is on the h22 in the prelude but we manage to get it off without too much struggle. but considering the engine bay looks tighter in the si id be interested in seeing how bad it really is.

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 2.0
      03-30-2010 03:48 PM #32
      Coming from a previous 2006 Si owner, you should really look into an 06-07 GTI

Vehicles
      2010 GT500
      03-30-2010 03:49 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by j2me02 »

pics anyone? thats how it is on the h22 in the prelude but we manage to get it off without too much struggle. but considering the engine bay looks tighter in the si id be interested in seeing how bad it really is.

Taking the front passenger wheel off is pretty much a must to change oil in the Si, BTW.

34. 03-30-2010 03:51 PM #34
      If I had to choose, I would go with the Turbo Cobalt SS.

It's the same price as a Si, but you get a lot more car.

Bigger tires, better handling. no lift shift.

13 second quarters.

Cornerning and track performance that rivals 40K luxury sedans.

Great mileage.

Only thing holding it back are the looks and that horrible interior.

I think it would be more fun though overall.

35. 03-30-2010 03:53 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by djsheijkdfj »

Taking the front passenger wheel off is pretty much a must to change oil in the Si, BTW.

Yeah, the filter is behind the strut. It's not hard to get to if you remove the wheel. It does get messy though, oil will drip all over the control arm and driveshaft boot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast