Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tell me about the 2006 to current honda civic si

1. 03-30-2010 06:28 PM #71
      Quote, originally posted by BryanH »
      You really need to drive one and decide if it is for you.
      I did and could not get past the horrible steering feel and stupid dash. I liked the rest of the car and the the outside looks great...but after driving it at night just can't deal with the dash.

i agree. one of my good friends has one, and i usually act as DD since he likes his booze. as a result, i've probably logged a couple of thousand km's (not miles, for all of you americans out there) in his. i found the steering to be a bit odd, although the suspension was an improvement over the regular civic (he had a 2007 civic before buying his 2009 si, so i got to log time in both). also wasn't a fan of the dash, but i know some people really like it.
      ultimately it's a personal preference, so test drive one and see how you find it [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      1. is my post informative?
      2. am I contributing to the topic at hand?
      3. will my post offend anyone?
      if you can answer those questions go right ahead and post away.

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 07:17 PM #72
      I just got alot dumber trying to read through those honda forums.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '14 Mirage, 2.7 liters total
      03-30-2010 07:18 PM #73
      Quote, originally posted by j2me02 »
      I just got alot dumber trying to read through those honda forums.

vtec.net isn't too bad, though I haven't been there in a while.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      1995 M3/1987 325is/1987 535is
      03-30-2010 07:42 PM #74
      I purchased a 2010 sedan about a month ago - and came from a modded '03 Legacy.
      It's a really, really fun car. I love rev-happy 4 cylinders, so I enjoy the high RPM behavior. But, it is still quite peppy around town, so don't think it's only entertaining when you're banging it through the gears.
      All the Honda forums suck. I spend time in there only to see what comes up for sale. Don't judge the car by that.
      As per the gearbox issues, I have also heard the '09s and '10s had the issue resolved. Like anything else, you're going to have someone who beats the bejesus out of it and causes it to pop out of gear or wear on the synchros. I have had no such issues and am far from gentle with it.
      See what you can get with a new one or an '09 price-wise. I called around and got mine out the door for $21K. Definitely go drive one - I think it's a great deal, and my insurance was far cheaper with the Si than had I bought a WRX.

Modified by FujiTekniques at 7:43 PM 3-30-2010

5. 03-30-2010 08:11 PM #75
      I'll chime in....I bought my '09 Sedan in July '09. Prior to that I had a Subie outback XT manual and an '03 GTI that was chipped.
      I'd tell ya to go drive one. And not just a short drive, ask to take it for a day or a few hours if they'll let you. It's really different going from having torque to having only a little bit of torque. If you like rowing gears all the time, then the civic is for you.
      And when I say rowing the gears, I mean rowing quite a bit -- especially if you're trying to drive with gas mileage in mind.
      At the end of the day though, I really like the car. I got mine for just under $20K OTD (that includes TTL). I get decent mileage (~ 26 MPG in mixed mode driving), it fits 4 people just fine. The Si can be pretty docile for a commuter then get more fun when you want to flog it.
      To me it's all about a level set. What you get with a Civic Si is an economy car that has a better engine (with LSD) and better seats than a base model.
      Oh, and I have no grinding issues. Sure, there are a few rattles and squeeks, but all in all, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Some people are overly sensitive to noises and others just don't care. I fall into the just don't care camp. It's a freakin economy car

6. 03-30-2010 08:33 PM #76

I had the 3rd gear problem with my '07, showed my dealer the TSB, and they replaced the synchro. I've gone almost 30,000 miles since the fix and no problems.
      If you're going to buy an used Si, I'd make sure it comes with documentation showing the 3rd gear synchro fix.

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 09:19 PM #77
      im hopefully going to test drive an 09 this upcoming week, ill keep everyone updated on how i feel about it when it happens.

Vehicles
      1995 M3/1987 325is/1987 535is
      03-30-2010 09:29 PM #78
      Quote, originally posted by a10thunder »
      I had the 3rd gear problem with my '07, showed my dealer the TSB, and they replaced the synchro. I've gone almost 30,000 miles since the fix and no problems.
      If you're going to buy an used Si, I'd make sure it comes with documentation showing the 3rd gear synchro fix.

And also search for any YouTube videos bearing strong resemblance to the car you're about to buy. That alone convinced me to buy new.

9. 03-30-2010 09:31 PM #79
      All I know about them is there is no point in their existence anymore.
      Jerk It with Luigi.

10. Banned
      Vehicles
      2006 Rx-8
      03-30-2010 09:36 PM #80

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-30-2010 10:08 PM #81
      Quote, originally posted by ToucheTurtle »
      All I know about them is there is no point in their existence anymore.

Whys that?
      Quote, originally posted by NeezDuts »
      RX8

give me a good reason

12. 03-30-2010 10:17 PM #82
      If you like cars, don't buy a non SI R18 Civic like I did.
      It's a good car... great car, but not really fun. The rev hang kills any form of fun in the 1.8L.
      The biggest thing for me is that the Civic is actually a pretty comfortable car. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

To be a Rok, and not to roll

13. Banned
      Vehicles
      2006 Rx-8
      03-30-2010 10:23 PM #83
      give me a good reason

Pros:
      Not a civic
      RWD
      Handles like jesus
      Same fuel economy
      Doesn't look like a civic
      Completely neutral handling
      Is as fast and faster in many ways than the civic
      Cheaper
      Not a civic

14. 03-30-2010 10:31 PM #84
      same fuel economy? you are kidding right?

Vehicles
      1999 Honda Prelude Type SH 2010 VW Golf 2.5
      03-30-2010 10:33 PM #85
      sounds like you should just buy a 99 Prelude

16. Banned
      Vehicles
      2006 Rx-8
      03-30-2010 10:35 PM #86
      Quote, originally posted by wolverinejoe80 »
      same fuel economy? you are kidding right?

20-22 mpg isn't unreasonable in an 8. The civic has an average of 26-27, so I guess its fuel economy is a bit better. But hey, its not a civic.

17. 03-30-2010 10:39 PM #87
      Im really not a big fan of the looks of the gen coupe. I like everything about the car, its just that the front really ruins it for me.

why gen coupe over civic SI
      1. RWD
      2. more aggressive design and stance
      3. RWD
      4. mod potential
      5. 10/100k warranty
      6. RWD
      7. not civic si
      8. very rare
      9. you never see one on the road
      10. not civic si

If the front isn't your thing, it can be easily fixed with a sequence front lip. seriously, i know design is subjective thing, but it's hard for me to believe that people find civic SI more attractive than gen coupe... i really think it destroys civic SI in 'look' department.
      i'm not a civic hater. i had 07 civic si sedan.
      just my 2 cents!

Modified by wolverinejoe80 at 7:50 PM 3-30-2010

Vehicles
      2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
      03-30-2010 10:40 PM #88
      Quote, originally posted by hushypushy »
      Where did you get those figures? AFAIK the 02-03 WRX had 227hp/217tq, a bit more HP and tons more torque than the Si's 197hp/139tq. Given that the WRX weighs within a couple hundred pounds of the Si (~3000 vs ~2900) and the published 0-60 figures are about a full second quicker for the WRX...I'm not sure why you're saying the Si will be quicker in a straight line.

I am not talking about redline abusing clutch drops.. I am talking about real world driving thats all.. 02 Stock WRX's only trap 93 MPH or so thats all I am saying...

Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Boxster S
      03-30-2010 10:47 PM #89
      You can get a 2009 Mazda RX-8 for almost the same price as a 2009 Honda Civic SI.
      The RX-8 is more comfortable, has better brakes, better steering, and stock vs stock is slightly faster in a straight line.
      It will also outhandle the Civic SI in the corners.
      Plus you get heated leather seats and a 6 year warranty.
      You will be disappointed coming from a 2002 WRX to a 2006 Civic SI.
      I had a 2003 WRX and have driven my friend's 2007 Civic SI about 100 times...
      The Civic SI is my favorite front wheel drive car but it's just not as fun to drive as a 2002 WRX.
      Aside from the quicker steering and MUCH better shifter, you will miss the WRX engine, AWD and steering feel.
      http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...thumb

Modified by Markov79 at 10:49 PM 3-30-2010

Vehicles
      '11 GTI
      03-31-2010 12:03 AM #90
      I took my friend's 09 si for a rip a couple nights ago. Whoever says it doesn't handle well is smokin something...

03-31-2010 08:52 AM #91
      Quote, originally posted by NeezDuts »
      20-22 mpg isn't unreasonable in an 8. The civic has an average of 26-27, so I guess its fuel economy is a bit better. But hey, its not a civic.

I've owned a 6th gen Si, and a rotary. To even begin to compare the fuel economy is stupid.
      FWIW - I routinely pulled 35+MPG on the highway with my Si.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Toyota Tundra, 2012 Honda Odyssey, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
      03-31-2010 09:07 AM #92

why gen coupe over civic SI
      1. RWD
      2. more aggressive design and stance
      3. RWD
      4. mod potential
      5. 10/100k warranty
      6. RWD
      7. not civic si
      8. very rare
      10. not civic si

If the front isn't your thing, it can be easily fixed with a sequence front lip. seriously, i know design is subjective thing, but it's hard for me to believe that people find civic SI more attractive than gen coupe... i really think it destroys civic SI in 'look' department.
      i'm not a civic hater. i had 07 civic si sedan.
      just my 2 cents!
      Modified by wolverinejoe80 at 7:50 PM 3-30-2010

In Canada the new 2011 305 hp Mustang is cheaper than both the Si and the 2.0T Genesis I'd have a hard time picking the Genesis over it.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '05 3, '12 TSX
      03-31-2010 09:40 AM #93

This car lives near me and I've seen it passing me several times. I have to say, pics don't do it justice. Its beyond mean. It scared my wife.

Vehicles
      05 S2000, 07 Speed Triple
      03-31-2010 09:45 AM #94
      I've been generally pleased with my 08 besides my issues about paint damage before taking ownership. I've never had a problem with 3rd, either before or after having the TSB done. As for 2nd gear, you do have to baby it a little when cold otherwise it's a little grabby/notchy.
      On practicality:
      It's a regular Civic below 6000 rpm and I think pretty reasonable to drive at low rpms. Can get 33 mpg on the highway if you keep it at 70. Seats 4 comfortably and I think it has a pretty reasonable trunk. Also, in 20k, I've never gotten more than scheduled service and oil changes.
      On driving experience:
      First of all, I'm never going back to an analog speedo ever again. Besides that, I think there's a nice directness to all the controls. There's more positive feedback in steering, shifting and braking than in most cars I've driven. The car's not the fastest, but I think it's capable enough.
      If you want to take it for an extended drive, I'll trade you an hour for an hour in the WRX for sh ts and giggles.

Vehicles
      2010 shadow blue wtvig
      03-31-2010 12:15 PM #95
      Quote, originally posted by XiaoNio »
      I've been generally pleased with my 08 besides my issues about paint damage before taking ownership. I've never had a problem with 3rd, either before or after having the TSB done. As for 2nd gear, you do have to baby it a little when cold otherwise it's a little grabby/notchy.
      On practicality:
      It's a regular Civic below 6000 rpm and I think pretty reasonable to drive at low rpms. Can get 33 mpg on the highway if you keep it at 70. Seats 4 comfortably and I think it has a pretty reasonable trunk. Also, in 20k, I've never gotten more than scheduled service and oil changes.
      On driving experience:
      First of all, I'm never going back to an analog speedo ever again. Besides that, I think there's a nice directness to all the controls. There's more positive feedback in steering, shifting and braking than in most cars I've driven. The car's not the fastest, but I think it's capable enough.
      If you want to take it for an extended drive, I'll trade you an hour for an hour in the WRX for sh ts and giggles.

Sounds basically like the experience im looking for. I really dont want to deal with the bad gas mileage anymore, (the wrx is incredibly brutal on my wallet as far as gas is concerned right now) so im thinking the rx8 is out of the question.
      Im going to get that extended test via a black SI coupe at a dealership down the road from my house.

26. 04-27-2010 07:43 PM #96
      Bump this guy up a bit - to the Si owners - do the outside thigh seat bolsters wear quickly on these cars? I just drove an '07 sedan with 70k miles, and the fabric was worn a bit more that I'd expect. Other than that, the interior looked new.
      I see that the OP bought a GTI, but for other people who are looking at these, here is my opinion:
      -Zero rattles at 70k miles in the one I drove (but it was on Eagle RS-As, which are kind of cushy)
      -plenty of power at low revs around town (this was with the a/c blasting and a 200lb+ passenger... felt similar to the Boxster, honestly)
      -sounds neat everywhere, especially at high revs
      -surprisingly quiet on the highway, though the exhaust is audible with the stereo off
      -very comfy seats (better than the Boxster)
      -great shifter (duh)
      -odd steering feel - not disconnected, but methinks the LSD makes it a bit twitchy sometimes
      -the digital speedo is cool, but looks a bit bare up there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123