Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Grandma's Golf rolls on - 86 4-door OEM+ project

Vehicles
      1986 Golf GL, 1990 Golf GL
      05-19-2010 02:02 PM #51
      No time to work on the car lately, but I did just get a big box of goodies from ECS the other day. I can't wait to see how different the car feels with all of this installed:

New control arms, bushings, tie rods, ball joints, suspension mounts, hardware etc. All of this will go on whenever I can get around to installing the FKs. I need a couple more hours in the day.

Vehicles
      A2 86 Golf
      05-19-2010 02:11 PM #52
      good luck with control arm bolts

3. 05-19-2010 03:29 PM #53
      Nice project. I'm also thinking of picking up a MKII in Phoenixville, PA
      Benny and the jets - Just your average air cooled 911 adventure
      Shop Truck - For Sale!!!

Vehicles
      05-19-2010 06:46 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by dubbinmk2 View Post
      good luck with control arm bolts
      I've heard that. Pretty sure I have all the hardware I need, so if necessary any stubborn bolts can be demolished to remove them.

Luckily (or not), I have zero time lately to take care of this myself and I may end up just plunking down some cash to have a local VW mechanic do it.

Although, looking at this stuff, how hard could it be? Is it advisable to pre-assemble anything (ball joints to control arms, etc) or is everything pretty accessible once you're in there?

Vehicles
      06-08-2010 11:53 AM #55
      Finally got some work done this weekend. A friend (and fellow Vortex lurker) came out from Columbus for a couple of days to swap a tattoo for some wrenching. He sat like a champ for this piece on the back of his calf (still in progress):

In trade, he helped me gut and completely refresh my suspension.

The first order of business was replacing my destroyed axle:

In with the new:

New control arms, ball joints, tie rods:

FK Streetline coilovers installed:

Mild drop, nothing too severe:

6. Member
      Vehicles
      K24 2000 SI Daily/ '66 Chevy C10 Rat Rod
      06-08-2010 12:57 PM #56
      looking good james... nice build thread.

It was fun to come out and kick it with you guys for sure!

Vehicles
      06-08-2010 02:03 PM #57
      by the way, the first "full car" pic above was pre-alignment, so the wheel has a crazy tilt to it

speaking of alignment, when I took it in I was told that the guy could not get the car into alignment completely. He seemed a little confused, and kept blaming it on being lowered. Basically, to get it even close, he said he had to adjust one tie rod almost all the way in and the other almost all the way out. His only explanation was that "possibly the steering rack was removed at some point and not re-installed correctly". He was kind of baffled. The car is sort of aligned, but still pulls to the left. Anyone have any idea why my car can't be aligned? Seems kind of kooky.

Here are pics of the tie rods, post-alignment. A little blurry, but you can see where one is theaded almost all the way in and the other is waaay out there.

Vehicles
      06-08-2010 04:25 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by MapleK View Post
      looking good james... nice build thread.

It was fun to come out and kick it with you guys for sure!
      Thanks! Was definitely cool, looking forward to your next trip out.

Vehicles
      06-11-2010 03:57 PM #59
      SHAMELESS PIC REQUEST

Does anyone have a clear photo of the guts inside one of the doors? I'm at work, can't go out to pull the card off and I'm mulling over what will be involved in swapping small doors for big (I have manual locks & windows in the doors I'm taking off, and non-functional power locks in the big doors that are going on so I'll need to swap the guts out as well). Thanks for any help

06-11-2010 04:20 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by bodhi_tree777 View Post
      by the way, the first "full car" pic above was pre-alignment, so the wheel has a crazy tilt to it

speaking of alignment, when I took it in I was told that the guy could not get the car into alignment completely. He seemed a little confused, and kept blaming it on being lowered. Basically, to get it even close, he said he had to adjust one tie rod almost all the way in and the other almost all the way out. His only explanation was that "possibly the steering rack was removed at some point and not re-installed correctly". He was kind of baffled. The car is sort of aligned, but still pulls to the left. Anyone have any idea why my car can't be aligned? Seems kind of kooky.

Here are pics of the tie rods, post-alignment. A little blurry, but you can see where one is theaded almost all the way in and the other is waaay out there.

Just have them turn the wheel to the left about a quarter to half turn and align it. Then take the wheel off and re-center it. No big deal. It's because he aligned it based on the steering wheel and not the rack itself. He should have noticed that you had way more on one side than the other. What makes it even easier to fix that problem is the lack of airbags.

Vehicles
      06-11-2010 07:45 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by tylerlb View Post
      Just have them turn the wheel to the left about a quarter to half turn and align it. Then take the wheel off and re-center it. No big deal. It's because he aligned it based on the steering wheel and not the rack itself. He should have noticed that you had way more on one side than the other. What makes it even easier to fix that problem is the lack of airbags.
      thanks man, that's basically what I've been hearing. Time to find a new alignment shop I guess

12. 06-12-2010 02:32 PM #62
      hey, im located on the IN/OH line i would possibly be interested in trading some paint work for some tattoo work. you can add my shops facebook page at facebook.com/autohausrichmond if your interested.

Vehicles
      06-12-2010 05:44 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by 86GLIvr6 View Post
      hey, im located on the IN/OH line i would possibly be interested in trading some paint work for some tattoo work. you can add my shops facebook page at facebook.com/autohausrichmond if your interested.
      Hey man, most definitely interested! I sent you a friend request on Facebook, get in touch when you get the chance

Vehicles
      06-17-2010 11:42 AM #64
      No real updates, the car is temporarily grounded

Still having the alignment issue (I've gone through two shops now that refuse to work on it) and I'm hearing a bit of a clunking sound periodically when I step on the brake pedal.. brakes work just fine, but the noise makes me think something isn't bolted in properly under there.

I'm in need of a local or regional mechanic who knows these cars really well that might be able to help me eyeball what's going on. I simply can't find time to dig into it myself and could use some experienced eyes. Beers from me, maybe even a tattoo or two if anyone's up for it

15. 06-17-2010 12:02 PM #65
      granny would be proud. good job.

Vehicles
      06-18-2010 05:31 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by MTLVR6 View Post
      granny would be proud. good job.

Vehicles
      A few Brokeswagens
      06-18-2010 05:46 PM #67
      sweet project, nice tattoo work

Vehicles
      06-29-2010 08:29 PM #68
      Quick update on this, we finally figured out (after checking over everything) that the play in the control arms was caused by the new bushings not having centering sleeves (the thin, mangled bits of metal you see here, these are the old control arms):

I guess they should have come with the kit I ordered but didn't and we just overlooked it on the install . ECS has replacements on the way (those guys have awesome customer service, by the way, really professional and quick to ship). Car will be back on the road this week if all goes well.

Vehicles
      06-29-2010 08:38 PM #69
      these are they, looking rather less haggard:

Vehicles
      07-13-2010 12:16 PM #70
      Not an update, really, but Vortex finally re-indexed Dan's original build thread for this car so you can see some of the work that was done just before I got it:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...project-thread

Some of the highlights (thanks again to dubsport87 for doing a bunch of run of the mill maintenance on this thing):

Swapping in the early 85 hatch glass:

Shaving the passenger mirror:

So the car should be back on the road by the end of this week if all goes well. Had some my-own-damn-fault type wrong part issues that have it currently sidelined. I'm posting this to get myself hyped on actually driving it again instead of just spending money on it
      Last edited by bodhi_tree777; 12-04-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Vehicles
      Porsche 911
      07-13-2010 01:11 PM #71

Vehicles
      07-20-2010 08:12 PM #72
      So happy to finally have my car back and back on the road.. had some pain in the arse suspension issues that had to be ironed out, simple yet expensive

On the upside, it rides great now. All of the bounciness is gone and I can drive on the highway now without feeling like I'm about to jump off the road. I really like the FK's. Not as low as some might like, but just about right for this state.

Today I went out to do an oil change and wasn't able to find a filter that wasn't a Fram. Even the dealer didn't have them on hand. Time to order a case, I guess. Instead, I decided to rip out the flimsy thin plastic raintray cover and ECU cover and replace them with hard plastic versions from a later model. First I had to do a bit of plastic welding to fix a small crack which turned out pretty crappy. Does the trick, though. Vacuumed about a pound of debris out of the raintray, sanded the plastic weld, painted all of it with some satin black I had laying around and put it all back together.

Vehicles
      08-15-2010 07:42 PM #73
      Not a huge update, haven't had a great deal of time to myself lately. Got rid of the torn shift boot and transplanted the intact boot and leather shift knob from the gold Golf, also removed the cassette box in favor of more storage (and scratched the console in the process, grr).

Vehicles
      wagoon.
      08-15-2010 10:28 PM #74
      most excellent, dude.

what were the suspension issues?

Vehicles
      08-16-2010 10:47 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by sin bar View Post
      most excellent, dude.

what were the suspension issues?
      Rookie mistakes. I've never had coilovers on a car before. Installing the FK's was the first time I'd ever attempted any suspension work. I enlisted the help of a buddy from Columbus I met through the 'tex and swapped him a tattoo for about a day's labor. His first time working on MK2 suspension as well, but with more background knowledge than I for sure. To his credit, he worked his arse off and got everything together seemingly correct.

Immediately ran into some idiot mechanic issues in trying to get the car aligned, and it was at alignment shop #3 that someone finally figured out that we were missing the centering sleeves in the control arms. ECS hadn't included them in the suspension kit I bought and we just simply overlooked it during the install. Not to mention that alignment shop #1 really screwed up the alignment job and proceeded to blame it all on the car being lowered. All in all the car was off the road for like 3 weeks, my wife was pissed at me and I ended up blowing my project budget on shop labor .. I'm on a steep learning curve

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast