Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 100,000 mile service

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      04-10-2010 03:42 PM #1
      Hey all!
      My MKIV just hit 93000 miles 20 mins ago. I am trying to prepare a list of things I need to get done for the 100,000 mile interval. So far, I have the standard:

oil + oil filter
      air filter
      cabin filter
      brake flush
      coolant flush
      power steering flush (good idea?)
      replace headunit, since the current one i have is malfunctioning badly (any ideas on replacements?)

Anything else I should take care of, or look into?
      Things I remember that I have replaced within the past 1.5 years:
      water pump (when it leaked)
      coilpacks (when it failed)
      spark plugs
      brake pads + rotors (they were done)
      oil + filter
      air filter
      cabin filter
      dont remember if i already did coolant + brake flush... i understand it has to be done every 2 years according to manual, but i figure by the time i hit 100k it should be done anyway.
      Battery replaced 3.5 years ago
      Tires replaced 4 years ago
      Radiator + pipes replaced 4 years ago (leaking and overheating YIKES)

I also need to do the auto transmission flush (automagic FTL, yes i know, but i've had this car since 2001 and i'm in with it) but from what i remember, it is a pain in the butt because the exhaust has to be dropped..... the reason why i'm hesitant to do it is because i'm afraid of causing more problems caused by removing and installing the exhaust, as well as flushing the auto trans. A minority of people in the E46 BMW forums advise against auto trans flush, but most recommend it... however, only a handful of people have actually done it. Unlike the VW forums, most E46 owners on the forums are auto owners. I have a manual so that doesnt apply to me, and since the MKIV was my first "real" car and also my first automatic car, I have no experience in replacing auto trans fluid and its effects. Any thoughts on this?

Also, having owned my car for 9 years, and after coming up with numerous ideas of modding my car, I finally decided on how I want to mod my stock MKIV Jetta VR6 ( omg his MKIV is stock!!! Even after 9 years of ownership!! )
      I decided on a set of coilovers, wheels, a euroswitch, and some headlights. The wheels are going to be OEM, something along the lines of Santa Monicas or the BBS wheels that came with the newer 1.8T GLI. The headlights, I have a couple ideas for.... either a FX-R retrofit, or e-codes.
      First off, do they still make e-codes? Where can I buy them or shop for the lowest prices? I havent been in the MKIV forum regularly for ages and I dont remember the sponsors.
      OEM HID's are out of the question... $1300 for a pair is just ridic lol.... A retro fit is cheaper (atleast as far as I know, if it isnt, let me know now!) and more fun to do. If I go the retrofit route, I plan on buying a second set of headlights, just so I dont have to chop up my current ones and end up ruining them. Any DIY specifically made for MKIV? I have a general idea of how to do it after reading numerous threads on retros for different cars. And any other ideas?

Rule number 1: Sorry no good recent pics of my car. I have a couple on my iPhone

mujjuman

Vehicles
      2003 VW Passat W8 6 speed
      04-10-2010 03:47 PM #2
      fuel filter...?
      \\_\__\___http://lowdownlabs.com/ ___/__/_//
      Passat W8 Sport 6 speed manual
      BC Racing Coilovers | Avant Garde M550 19x9.5 | Delinte Thunder D7 245 35 19 | COAM
      SpeedTuning USA Stage 2 | B6 S4 calipers | S5 rotors | Stop Tech Pads

3. 04-10-2010 03:48 PM #3
      any plans on doing the timing chain or guides?

Vehicles
      Car that looks good from afar.
      04-10-2010 04:44 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by ebensqauat16 »
      any plans on doing the timing chain or guides?

this.

|| Mk4 Wheel Offset and Stance Picture Index || ClearWaterDubs || ClearWaterDubs@VWVortex ||
      || Please don't PM me with offset questions, post in THIS THREAD instead ||

Vehicles
      04-10-2010 08:34 PM #5
      Oh I forgot about the fuel filter, thanks.

I had originally planned to do the timing chain guides, but every shop around here even the dealer does not want to do it... yes I know its weird. I tried doing this last year.

mujjuman

Vehicles
      04-10-2010 09:03 PM #6
      Funny. I'm in the same spot you're in! My 337 is just another tank of gas from hitting 93000. I've slowly been through what you've listed since I got her at 78000 miles. Good luck with all the maintenance! Which coilovers are you going with? You might as well get new bushings while you're in there installing coilovers. As for headlights, I JUST got a set of Helix OEM HID replicas and installed a drop-in HID kit. About to install the headlights later today.
      Exterior detailing services in the South Bay Area:
      Lee's Performance Auto Detailing

Vehicles
      04-11-2010 04:44 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by AFRich337 »
      Funny. I'm in the same spot you're in! My 337 is just another tank of gas from hitting 93000. I've slowly been through what you've listed since I got her at 78000 miles. Good luck with all the maintenance! Which coilovers are you going with? You might as well get new bushings while you're in there installing coilovers. As for headlights, I JUST got a set of Helix OEM HID replicas and installed a drop-in HID kit. About to install the headlights later today.

Awesome!!!
      The 1.8T requires a bit different servicing than the VR6... for example the timing belt... also the VR6 has a problem with its coilpacks... not sure about the 1.8T, but when I used to be a regular on here I would never hear of coil problems with 1.8Ts.

WOW thanks for telling me they make OEM HID reps.... that must be a newer development because I never heard of those back when I left (2007ish I stopped coming to MKIV forum due to other developments in life).
      Where did you buy them from? Also, which drop in HID kit did you buy? I see them anywhere from $50-$150
      Are really in Germany or is that just in ur profile...

mujjuman