Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: my gti stalls randomly when it drops to idle. help

1. 04-10-2010 05:46 PM #1
      Hello Everyone, I have a 85 gti with a aba 2.0 engine. This was a new motor when installed and it has about 35,000 miles on it now. The car ran fine until I replaced the distributor since I broke the vacumm advance off the old one when I removed the tranny. Whoops. Now it stalls at seemingly randon times. Somedays I can drive it and it wont act up, but others it will stall 3-4 times in a 10 mile trip. If I just tap the gas pedal and thats it, more than likely it will stall. If I press it down and let the rpms rev, then let off the gas it will fall to idle and be fine. I have an adjustable cam gear which is advanced 3-4 degrees which is where it ran best with the old distributor. I am not sure if the timing is correct but the car pulls fine and doesn't seem to lack power. There are many other mod's to the car which have all been there for the full mileage of the motor. I need a few pointers if anyone has any experience with a problem such as mine. Thanks to anyone with some answers or ideas.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      04-10-2010 06:22 PM #2
      Did some 85 gti's not come with a knockbox? If it does, it shouldn't have a vac adv distributor.

either way, when the vac adv broke off, what did you do to the hose running to it? that'd be a source of unmetered air, although it shouldn't be enough to stall you out.

I really suck at smog.

3. 04-10-2010 07:01 PM #3
      So it might not be a vac. adv.. I have been reading a bit more and maybe it was the hall sensor. What exactly does this do for the car? I don't recall there being any hose off the dist. I will look at it when I get back to the house. Could the timing not being set right cause this type of issue?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      04-10-2010 07:49 PM #4
      If you broke the hall sender plug off the car won't run
      I really suck at smog.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      04-12-2010 02:01 PM #5
      every 85 gti that i have seen, has KE3. CIS-E & Knock Box.

6. 04-12-2010 02:40 PM #6
      So we have solved which system it has. Question is, Which part associated with the distributor has the three wire plug? Whatever this piece is, is what I broke off and caused me to purchase a different dist. I am wondering if by replacing the dist. can this cause a stalling issue that is random? Could the dist. that I bought, since it was used, not be working properly. Can it randomly mess up to cause the stall. The car ran fine before the whole dist. swap.

7. 04-12-2010 02:59 PM #7
      I am just a bit confused over what could cause this. The car has only been driven about 500 miles in the last 3 years. So I really do appreciate any help I can get.